New Topic Respond to this Topic
NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 02:40 AM Reply

Hello! I was wondering if you could help me get started making electronic music on my Macbook. What are some good softwares to use? I'd be recording largely using samples to start, rather than live recording or the like. I'm starting up a small music project with a friend based on making electronic music, and I think that I should try making some on my own, too (or at least get familiar with the technology)

I'd like to keep things free to start, because I'm not entirely sure what I'll need at the moment. For example, I don't exactly remember which software he records on, and there might be some trouble sending my songs to him if they're not compatible with his music software, so might hold off on paying for programs for now. (This begs the question: will I have any trouble sending songs to my friend that he can open and alter on his PC? I'll have to ask what he records on soon...)

Also, where could I find good advice about making electronic music this way, or about making it on a mac, or about how to use the best software for this situation?

Thanks!

Making Electronic Music on a Mac

Give everything you do
All of your heart,
Forevr.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 05:21 AM Reply

Start off with Garageband which is already on your machine, then explore things like Reason, Live and Logic to find out what suits ya.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 09:32 AM Reply

At 5/13/12 02:40 AM, NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR wrote: Hello! I was wondering if you could help me get started making electronic music on my Macbook. What are some good softwares to use? I'd be recording largely using samples to start, rather than live recording or the like. I'm starting up a small music project with a friend based on making electronic music, and I think that I should try making some on my own, too (or at least get familiar with the technology)

Garageband is a pretty good place to start to learn the basics, it does all you want according to this paragraph and more (it has bukt in instruments for you to mess around with using "Midi", its not something you have to record live, istead you could use your mouse to "put in" notes).

I'd like to keep things free to start, because I'm not entirely sure what I'll need at the moment. For example, I don't exactly remember which software he records on, and there might be some trouble sending my songs to him if they're not compatible with his music software, so might hold off on paying for programs for now. (This begs the question: will I have any trouble sending songs to my friend that he can open and alter on his PC? I'll have to ask what he records on soon...)

While Garageband files are not compatible with PC software you can bypass this by sending each track to him as an mp3 or .wav, its not ideal, but for a starting project it should be more then enough.

Also, where could I find good advice about making electronic music this way, or about making it on a mac, or about how to use the best software for this situation?

Thanks!

Youtube, no joke, is probably the best, theres tons of beginners tutorials for garageband explaining the layout and workflow.

Also: I suggest not using the loop browser that follows with garageband, you wont learn anything that way, theres a lot of youtubers who only use them and the end result just sounds... bad.

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 10:45 AM Reply

Eventually, you could try Mu.Lab free version. Works on Mac and PC, so you can easy collaborate with a PC user who use same program.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 11:11 AM Reply

At 5/13/12 09:32 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote: Also: I suggest not using the loop browser that follows with garageband, you wont learn anything that way, theres a lot of youtubers who only use them and the end result just sounds... bad.

Not to mention, if you ever decide to upload your music to NewGrounds, using Garageband loops (or loops that come with any other software, such as Mixcraft, Logic Pro, Fruity Loops, etc.) will get you banned.

Not that you should ever resort to using loops, for two reasons: 1) due to the licensing terms, you can't actually do anything commercial with any tracks you make that use those pre-made loops, and 2) it's insulting to people who actually do put the time and effort into writing every note for every instrument in their music.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 12:11 PM Reply

Garageband loops are in fact perfectly legal to use in commercial productions and it happens all the time. Doesn't mean you get to do it here though, and different companies make up different rules about what you can do with their stuff.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 11:11 AM, RampantMusik wrote: Not that you should ever resort to using loops, for two reasons: 1) due to the licensing terms, you can't actually do anything commercial with any tracks you make that use those pre-made loops, and 2) it's insulting to people who actually do put the time and effort into writing every note for every instrument in their music.

I think a discussion worth having is one about the differences between using software that's entirely loop based, such as mixcraft, and uploading it to the portal, and using professional loop-based packages in music. Saying 'Loops = banned' seems unfair, when there's plenty of precedent in commercial music for using tools that allow composers and musicians to lay down tracks for instruments they don't play.

Saying that no loops can be used commercial is incorrect, and you know it. There's plenty of libraries specifically designed for use in commercial music.

Further, saying that using one kind of tool is somehow 'insulting' to other people is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, if someone slaps a couple of extended loops together and calls it a song, then there shouldn't be any hesitation to call them out on it, but saying that anyone who doesn't spend a bunch of time doing tedious sequencing they don't need or wants acoustic instruments they don't play is somehow less of a musician is the insult, not someone who wants to apply a valid tool to their production process.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 01:53 PM Reply

Thanks loans, I was about to make a considerably shittier post with the same points.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 01:45 PM, loansindi wrote: Saying that no loops can be used commercial is incorrect, and you know it. There's plenty of libraries specifically designed for use in commercial music.

My post was referencing programs such as Magix Music Maker and Mixcraft, etc., in which it IS against the license to use them for anything other than personal projects. I do not recall ever putting the word "ALL" in front of "LOOPS." In addition, we have a post in the Audio Mod lounge that lists loop packs that are allowed and which ones are banned from the portal. In general, it's better to tell a new user "stay away from loops," because it's much easier to avoid that potential problem altogether.

Further, saying that using one kind of tool is somehow 'insulting' to other people is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, if someone slaps a couple of extended loops together and calls it a song, then there shouldn't be any hesitation to call them out on it, but saying that anyone who doesn't spend a bunch of time doing tedious sequencing they don't need or wants acoustic instruments they don't play is somehow less of a musician is the insult, not someone who wants to apply a valid tool to their production process.

Nope, loops are a cheap, cheap way of making music. There are certain times in which it's acceptable (such as woodwind runs that come in some sample libraries), but that is because it's usually impossible to accurately and realistically create a woodwind run without having a recording of someone actually playing it.

If someone writes four notes over a descending bass line, that's far more worthy of praise than someone who has slapped some loops together and said "Done." If you think loops are great, and they're a seriously valid tool for serious composers, then you can get the fuck out of music composition: it's amateur musicians with attitudes like that who have brought down the price point for semi-professional composition to the point that where people expect work to be done for free, and even when we get paying gigs, it's hardly enough to live off of.

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 04:06 PM Reply

This is your bible now.

good luck with your garage band electronic music...pffffff

seriously don't listen to these jokers, download ableton and head over to audio forum.

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 04:06 PM, amplefied wrote: head over to audio forum.

lol thought I was in general

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 04:06 PM, amplefied wrote: This is your bible now.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 03:35 PM, RampantMusik wrote: clearly anyone who doesn't beat themselves up without cause isn't a musician

guess I found a hot button.

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 04:36 PM, Buoy wrote:

It's a guide on electronic music, what's there not to get?

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 05:07 PM, amplefied wrote:
At 5/13/12 04:36 PM, Buoy wrote:
It's a guide on electronic music, what's there not to get?

No part of it answers any of the questions asked in the original post.

amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 05:10 PM, Buoy wrote: No part of it answers any of the questions asked in the original post.

He asked about tips for making electronic music, he got a guide on fundamentals, to understanding what electronic music consists of.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 05:21 PM, amplefied wrote:
At 5/13/12 05:10 PM, Buoy wrote: No part of it answers any of the questions asked in the original post.
He asked about tips for making electronic music, he got a guide on fundamentals, to understanding what electronic music consists of.

.......For crying out loud, he asked for software in the first sentence. I suppose tips count, but the first sentence underlines the intention.

This is just to bring the convo back to its tracks; I don't use a Mac so I can't answer.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 13th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 06:17 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: .......For crying out loud, he asked for software in the first sentence. I suppose tips count, but the first sentence underlines the intention.

Ableton is cross platform and is geared toward electronic music which should solve the whole incompatibility with PC's issue. You can swap project files back and forth as much as you like.

I can't specify any further if OP himself doesn't know what kind of genre he intends to make his music, the guide is there to clarify that.

This is just to bring the convo back to its tracks; I don't use a Mac so I can't answer.

Yeah the thread has long been derailed into 'lol no loops allowed'. Which is retarded considering most of electronic music is made of loops.

NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 14th, 2012 @ 12:37 AM Reply

On Garageband, I've messed around a bit, but I'm not able to alter samples the way I've seen my friend do it so far; maybe I can manage it if I dig further into the 'help' info, which I'll try. I'll also definitely check out Youtube, as I've heard good things about instructional videos on there before, as well. It seems like there are a lot of good music-production info. sites out there, but I'll check some of the recommended sites when I have a minute. Then again, the sites recommended here are probably more reliable than anything I immediately pulled up on my Google search...

Regarding the two arguments that emerged here, I'm glad that Garageband samples are cleared for commercial uses, but aside from that consideration, I don't have much of a stance on the use of loops, and would still consider using them. I'm new at this, so I should at least become familiar with the use of loops, and decide what I think about them for myself. Also, I'm really new at this, so I wouldn't turn down any useful information :)

By the by, I've talked to my collaborator, and he says that he uses Fruity Loops with a variety of added synths. So, I guess the question is, what would be most compatible with that on a mac? A quick search suggests that Fruit loops itself is not made to run on a Mac (although someone may have managed it with hacks).

Give everything you do
All of your heart,
Forevr.

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 14th, 2012 @ 01:10 AM Reply

At 5/13/12 03:35 PM, RampantMusik wrote: If you think loops are great, and they're a seriously valid tool for serious composers, then you can get the fuck out of music composition

yawn

it's amateur musicians with attitudes like that who have brought down the price point for semi-professional composition to the point that where people expect work to be done for free, and even when we get paying gigs, it's hardly enough to live off of.

as far as i'm concerned there is no problem here. if loop based music is good enough for animators then it simply means that you've become irrelevant.

NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 31st, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 01:45 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 5/13/12 11:11 AM, RampantMusik wrote:
Saying that no loops can be used commercial is incorrect, and you know it. There's plenty of libraries specifically designed for use in commercial music.

I have a question, loans: are any of the loops that come with Fruity Loops banned from commercial use, like RampantMusik suggested? Where on a program can we tell if we're allowed to use the samples for commercial purposes? Admittedly, it doesn't really matter at this point-- most of the music we've been making so far is based on using synth instruments. However, I might use a sample here and there, at least to start, and being able to tell would be useful.

Give everything you do
All of your heart,
Forevr.

BBS Signature
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 31st, 2012 @ 06:46 PM Reply

just use garageband, and get your friend to send you the wav files

I find your username really annoying
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 31st, 2012 @ 08:45 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 03:35 PM, RampantMusik wrote: stuff about loops

Ramp, I think it's incredible how lazy some folks get with loops, that they don't realize the whole point is to CUT the thing up, get individual notes and incidentals from the instrument that can't be produced any other way.

I've never even been able to fit a whole loop into a composition and make it sound right. I've always HAD to cut it up.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac May. 31st, 2012 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 5/31/12 06:27 PM, NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR wrote: are any of the loops that come with Fruity Loops banned from commercial use, like RampantMusik suggested?

If they're from the "Used in demo projects" folder from any version of FL, then probably! Otherwise I would consider them fair game. There isn't enough loop content that comes with FL to make an entire song from anyway.

There used to be a folder that had loops from a bunch of big name songs made with FL (Faxing Berlin was one of them) but they got rid of it to protect themselves and the end users from being legally buttfucked by the recording industry. That folder isn't in versions 9.0 or later.

p.s. i am gay

IAMSuB0
IAMSuB0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 05:44 AM Reply

Well you got a good start with Mac, throw garageband out the window, download Reaper for Mac, its free and just as good as pro tools, for electronic music you can fill reaper with Vsts, there are alot of free vst synths, that will get you started, you need a midi keyboard too.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 08:12 AM Reply

At 6/1/12 05:44 AM, IAMSuB0 wrote: Reaper for Mac, its free

It's not free. The demo is just fully functional (kinda like FL studio only without the save restriction). Without buying it, you will have to keep it in "evaluation mode" (which u can do forever)....it just means you have to wait at a bit of a loading screen before you can work in it everytime you open it, and then select "still evaluating."

It is however a damn good DAW and pretty cheap to get the license(I think its like 60 bucks for a student edition)

NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
NoNeVERNoTEvERFoREVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 01:56 AM Reply

Thanks for the heads-up about loops, guys. Good to know it works like that. Also, I'll definitely give Reaper a shot once I at least get the hang of GarageBand.

With Garageband, there's only one thing I still need to know how to do: how do I place notes using the track editor? Oh sure, I can record them, but that doesn't always give the notes the precision that I'd like. I can adjust the size of notes on a preset track, but I can't seem to place them.

That's probably a dumb question (it's gotta be pretty easy to place notes, otherwise they would be overlooking a key feature), but it's legitimately causing me a problem so I have to ask. (At least I didn't start a new thread!)

Thanks again!

Give everything you do
All of your heart,
Forevr.

BBS Signature
sugarsimon
sugarsimon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 03:09 AM Reply

I was my first remix using GarageBand on Mac last August in 2011, but sometimes but I used this program.

KadajMetal
KadajMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac Jul. 24th, 2012 @ 08:02 AM Reply

Not really sample-based but you could try Native Instrument's free products.

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 02:26 PM Reply

out of curiosity, what year was the MacBook made?