00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Making Electronic Music on a Mac

21,806 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac 2012-07-25 17:15:16

While I've never used it myself, Reaper is popular with some professionals. It can use AU or VST plug-ins and seems to be pretty full featured. The major comlaint I always hear about it is since it's so customizable, it's a bear to get it up-and-running.

I have heard that people post key layouts that follow the standards of most major DAWs, so you might start looking for those. Sorry for the second hand info, just going by what I've heard from a few very talented pros.

Abelton always has seemed clunky to me, but my recording experience mostly comes from an engineering and production background so the analogies are probably not geared for someone like me.

Logic might be a good choice since it will probably receive updates to flow with OS X updates quicker than others.

Personally, I use Pro Tools, but if you plan on using a lot of VIs at once you'll probably need to also invest in a plug-in server like VSL's Vienna Ensemble Pro.

As to the loop vs. no-loop thing: Use whatever gets the gig done at a high level. I usually just write and play parts myself, but have no problem using loops in a production. It's not disrespectful to the craft to use whatever tools you have available.

Response to Making Electronic Music on a Mac 2012-07-27 02:51:27

At 7/25/12 02:26 PM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: out of curiosity, what year was the MacBook made?

It was one of the Macbook Airs that came out last summer (i.e. 10 months ago, not, like, two). So, it's pretty powerful, but probably not that good overall because of its small storage capacity (128GB). Oh well--I'll start getting some mileage out of my crappy external hard drives when that happens.

Again, if anyone can help me with the 'placing notes on the track editor' thing? It might be obvious to you, but I didn't find out how to do it in the Garageband Help section or on the 2-3 Youtube videos on using Garageband I looked up and watched.

Give everything you do

All of your heart,

Forevr.

BBS Signature