New Topic Respond to this Topic
ajnwinna
ajnwinna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 02:34:46 Reply

I am thinking about joining the military real soon and can't decide which department to join.
I need feedback on
-The Army
-The Air Force
-The Navy
-The Marine Corps

What are some pros/cons and your opinions!?

Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 03:27:14 Reply

Well, its kind of a hard decision to make. I'm 14, and when im older I'm defenetly joining the military. Everybody that was in the military in my family was in the Air Force. I'm planning on joining the Marines though. Every branch is badass, nomatter what anybody says, because alot of people say one is tougher then the other or whatever, but if your in the Military, I think its all equal, and I respect every branch. If you think your would like to fly airplanes, then the Air Force is good. I'm pretty sure Army is strictly on foot, like you wont be flying planes and stuff. Marines is a mix of alot of things im pretty sure. But you can be a ton of different things in each branch. I don't know that much about the Navy, but you should talk to your local recruiter about it. Good luck, and I respect you for joining ANY branch :P

Sorry about the wall of text haha :P

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 03:38:31 Reply

Go to each Branch's web site and do some research. Then, set up an interview with a recruiter from each branch. Talk to each of them. Also, each branch has many of the same/similar jobs.

It's a serious commitment you're thinking about making. Put plenty of time and thought into making a choice.

Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 03:39:56 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:34 AM, ajnwinna wrote: and your opinions!?

Have you ever tried 'The Life'?

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Chocomilk
Chocomilk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 03:43:10 Reply

I recommend you read the Military Crew thread and if they don't fully answer your questions in the 20 pages, ask one of your own.

BBS Signature
ajnwinna
ajnwinna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 03:55:13 Reply

At 5/13/12 03:43 AM, Chocomilk wrote: I recommend you read the Military Crew thread and if they don't fully answer your questions in the 20 pages, ask one of your own.

Didn't even know it existed. I will definitely check it out, thanks Choco.
Researching shall commence.

Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 03:57:27 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:34 AM, ajnwinna wrote: -The Army

Aren't Real Men Yet

-The Air Force

Chairforce

-The Navy

Buttpirates

-The Marine Corps

Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Non Essential

Well there you have it.

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Melancholy
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 07:01:00 Reply

Air force. More manpower will be required soon.

"What seest thou else. In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Writer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 07:46:57 Reply

Shoot people for a living.

-The Air Force

Bomb people for a living.

-The Navy

Help others shoot and bomb people for a living.

-The Marine Corps

Shoot people for a living, and get praised for it.

BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 07:56:41 Reply

At 5/13/12 04:19 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 5/13/12 03:39 AM, Insanctuary wrote:
At 5/13/12 02:34 AM, ajnwinna wrote: and your opinions!?
Have you ever tried 'The Life'?
you must be a hoot at parties

I'm not an owl.

and by that I mean people can hear distant animals talking after your jokes.

Maybe I AM an owl and those distant animals talking are my owl army. : )

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

ajnwinna
ajnwinna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 11:21:07 Reply

At 5/13/12 07:46 AM, EmmaVolt wrote:
-The Air Force
-The Navy
-The Marine Corps

I like your honesty, now i know EXACTLY what im getting into.

Strength
Strength
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 11:26:48 Reply

At 5/13/12 11:21 AM, ajnwinna wrote:
At 5/13/12 07:46 AM, EmmaVolt wrote:
-The Air Force
-The Navy
-The Marine Corps
I like your honesty, now i know EXACTLY what im getting into.

you're dumb as fuck. you have no idea what it takes to be in the military. you watch all those stupid fucking motivational videos they have on youtube and GOARMY herp derp dot com and think "oh shit, i wanna be like these guys because it's so honorable and shit." no bitch. it's fucking hard work and it sucks ass. i got kicked out of the military and wasted 3 months of my life because i couldn't take the bullshit anymore. i doubt you'd even make it through basic training.

don't join the fucking military.

ok

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 14:49:20 Reply

As an applicant for the Marine Corps Officer program, I will say that if you aren't 110% on joining the USMC, don't even try.

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 15:01:40 Reply

At 5/13/12 11:26 AM, Strength wrote: you're dumb as fuck. you have no idea what it takes to be in the military. you watch all those stupid fucking motivational videos they have on youtube and GOARMY herp derp dot com and think "oh shit, i wanna be like these guys because it's so honorable and shit." no bitch. it's fucking hard work and it sucks ass. i got kicked out of the military and wasted 3 months of my life because i couldn't take the bullshit anymore. i doubt you'd even make it through basic training.

Someone's mad because the military didn't want him...

Anyway, don't let him deter you. Go for it if you really want to join the military TC. Others users already gave you a good idea what each branch is like, so I'll leave it at that.

I lied. Join the Air Force. Who knows, you might become a pilot.
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 15:26:02 Reply

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 18:12:35 Reply

Something I recently found out is that for any role you want to join it demands several years of service time fighting first. The whole "you can be the workers behind the fighting" thing they advertise is a load of bullshit. So whatever area it is you are wanting to join be prepared to be in open conflict.

Frankly I find the adverts to be just flat out lying after I questioned a military recruiter guy about such things. They aren't so stupid to lie to your face to gain soldiers (as that would be illegal of course) but I am surprised they lie so blatantly in the adverts, the very things meant to make people consider such roles. All that does is make more people who aren't combat material look into asking about the army, which in turn just further annoys those recruiting.

Frankly, I think they need someone new doing their adverts, I can't see the logic behind just pissing of your recruitment section unless they really don't get along with each other.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, NekoMika's Legacy!

BBS Signature
Wagggs
Wagggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 18:54:08 Reply

RIght now the military is cutting down, so the amount of people they are allowing in is limited. Each of the services offer different experiences. You should first figure out what you want to do in the military, then pick which services suits you. Like me, for instance, I want to fly, so all the services are available to me; however, for my friend who wants to be an infantryman, the Army and the Marine Corps are his strongest choices.

However, basically:

-Army = basic military. Easiest to get into, higher PT standards than the Air Force and Navy, but currently less than the Marine Corps. PT standards are expected to surpass that of the Marine Corps PFT due to the Army getting more selective. The Army offers the broadest range of jobs, everything ranging from accountant to astronaut.

-Navy = travel options. The Navy has the easiest PT standards, but is more technical than the Army, which means you need better high school grades and a better ASVAB score, but that doesn't mean you'll get turned down if you're not Albert Einstein. The biggest benefit of the Navy are the travel options, since the ship-borne Navy deploys every 6-12 months, you can expect to be at sea for about half your career. The Navy hits ports around the world, making a unique travel experience unlike any other. However, this is also the biggest downside, as the cramped confines of a ship are not everybody's cup of tea. If you like water, you like travel, and you're not too thrilled about humping 12 miles with a ruck sack, the Navy is for you.

-Air Force = most technical service. The Air Force is our most technical service, meaning you need to have a high ASVAB score to qualify. The Air Force basic PFT is the 2nd least challenging, right in front of the Navy PFT. Most air force jobs go towards the maintaining of the flying air force. Most airmen will work with or around aircraft. The Air Force also treats is personnel the nicest. Air Force bases always have good chow, running water, and good barracks. The Air Force does offer a wide range of jobs.

-Marine Corps = most military experience. If you want a true military experience, as in, you want to live, breathe, eat, and sleep military, then join the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps currently has the highest PFT standards, and is typically more strict on a daily basis compared to the other services due to the common feeling of camaraderie between Marines. The Marine Corps believes in "Every Marine is a Rifleman," so you can expect to have to do a lot of physical work, even if you're cook. The Marine Corps offers great travel experiences because of its relationship with the Navy. The Marine Corps offers a variety of jobs that compares in scope with the Army, since the Marine Corps operates aircraft, land vehicles, boats, and maintains a ground fighting force. The Marine Corps is a middle ground in intelligence. You don't have to be the smartest guy ever, but you can't be a total meat-head.

Exploding genitalia
"Get buttfucked in the mouth." | "Dammit, let me spread my anger, breed my hate!"

Wagggs
Wagggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 18:55:40 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:49 PM, STEM wrote: As an applicant for the Marine Corps Officer program, I will say that if you aren't 110% on joining the USMC, don't even try.

This. You have to want to be a Marine to be a Marine. The Marine Corps isn't cut out for non-Marines.

Exploding genitalia
"Get buttfucked in the mouth." | "Dammit, let me spread my anger, breed my hate!"

EnnuiEngram
EnnuiEngram
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 19:11:53 Reply

Well, do you want to run around shooting people,stay in boot camp for a few years, or get a desk job?

I'm not spending more time on this than I have to.

tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 19:17:18 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:34 AM, ajnwinna wrote: I am thinking about joining the military real soon and can't decide which department to join.
I need feedback on
-The Army

on the ground getting shot at or doing some other mindless task that just has to be done

-The Air Force

fly planes, kill anything you are told to kill and fly around planes
/ repair planes and what not

-The Navy

be on a ship or later on a sub for a really long time and protect a really large thing from attack
tight quarters and not for the faint of heart

-The Marine Corps

same as the army but more hardcore and better and faster intel and responce time... not as many of you and you are stuck in a odd place doing a really spacific task like kill this one guy or extract this one person and then watch as the army rolls over the place or be so covert that not even you know what the hell just went on

intelligence

now we are rolling with the big boys
you decide what others will kill
you are the mod of life and death and watch as the little blue dot and red dot meet and the blue dot fades from the screen and the red dot stops and you hear a voice on the radio, tango down

call me toxie 0.~

BBS Signature
Digitaaliklosetti
Digitaaliklosetti
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-13 22:39:51 Reply

Oh you're a navy boy through and through, there's no doubt about that.

in outer space there will be no law to keep me from love

Lugen
Lugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 01:28:18 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:34 AM, ajnwinna wrote:
-The Army

pros: You get to taste the first blood
cons: Your the front-line so chances of dying is high because you are assigned to be sent in battle first and foremost.

-The Air Force

pros: You get to pilot a jet
cons: Bombarding is no easy feat, unless you maneuver like a veteran or else die with a flak cannon in the face.

-The Navy

pros: You'll be in a ship and cruise like there is no tomorrow plus
cons: Ships are easy to destroy.

-The Marine Corps

I dunno about this.

There are things I do and there are things I want to do. Overall, I just want to live my life and end it the way I want.

BBS Signature
ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 01:33:07 Reply

You forgot Coast Guard its like the navy but you bust drug boats.

Well we were dumb enough to think it was gonna happen.

BBS Signature
ajnwinna
ajnwinna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 02:52:24 Reply

All this feedback is awesome, I like hearing other peoples opinions no matter good or bad.
By now I believe I narrowed it down to either the Army or the Marines.
Im 20 yrs old and im capable of understanding what im getting into.
I havent talked to a recruiter yet but im tempted to go and receive straightforward answers on some things im still unsure of.
I know ill be in service for years but anyone know around how many exactly? or
What happens during and after my years are done?

Someone mentioned they lie when recruiting people, im wondering what they might not be so honest about or is there something I should be aware of when talking to any recruiter in person..?

stinkychops
stinkychops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 04:44:14 Reply

Why the fuck would you ask newgrounds?

/thread

ajnwinna
ajnwinna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 05:39:36 Reply

At 5/13/12 11:26 AM, Strength wrote:
you're dumb as fuck. you have no idea what it takes to be in the military. you watch all those stupid fucking motivational videos they have on youtube and GOARMY herp derp dot com and think "oh shit, i wanna be like these guys because it's so honorable and shit." no bitch. it's fucking hard work and it sucks ass. i got kicked out of the military and wasted 3 months of my life because i couldn't take the bullshit anymore. i doubt you'd even make it through basic training.

Psssh, Im not the one who got kicked out and spent 3 months for nothing. Obviously it isnt a walk in the park. Im not even concerned about making it through basic training since 3 of my buddies made it through the marines bootcamp and I was in cross country and took weights unlike them.

Im not like one of those dumbass who watch a tv ad and wanna join because its "cool". Its a serious decision and thats why I bothered to ask here to get opinions from other mature adults, unlike you.

stinkychops
stinkychops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 07:12:08 Reply

At 5/14/12 05:39 AM, ajnwinna wrote: Psssh

Smashed him mate.

/thread

Lugen
Lugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 07:37:08 Reply

At 5/14/12 02:52 AM, ajnwinna wrote: All this feedback is awesome, I like hearing other peoples opinions no matter good or bad.
By now I believe I narrowed it down to either the Army or the Marines.

Good for you. Hope you survive if there would be a war.

Im 20 yrs old and im capable of understanding what im getting into.

That's the right mindset of someone who is willing to serve and die for their country. I wish you luck.

There are things I do and there are things I want to do. Overall, I just want to live my life and end it the way I want.

BBS Signature
camobch0
camobch0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 09:58:50 Reply

None of them

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
LeidUndElend
LeidUndElend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Help! Military Departments 2012-05-14 10:29:06 Reply

I'm an Army veteran and was in Monsul with the Iraqi Security Forces. I don't know about the other branches but the benefits are good, you will make a lot of friends, and you will bond with your battle buddies. Every unit is different though you might get a good one and you might get a bad one. I know we have the G.I. Bill for college education but you have to serve at least twenty four months to be eligible to use it. I'm using mine for psychology. No matter what your MOS might be in the Army you might have to pull Personal Security Detail when you deploy.

Get into the 13 series though, because man artillery is awesome. If you can be a 13R which is a FireFinder Operator you'll be set. I was the first one to test the new EQ-36 System they have and that thing is awesome, 13R also get promoted faster and there is a lot of cool stuff you can do in the Army with that MOS.