Building PC, advice or suggestions?

• 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 11th, 2012 @ 10:17 PM Reply

I've always wanted to built my own PC, I recently got three scholarships that total to $2,050. One was $50 lol. So here's my chance and I don't want to screw it up! Any advice or suggestions?

I looked around on bestbuy.com for a bit and make this list. I will try to get most of the parts from Newegg to save some money. All the prices below are from best buy. I have this up on my blog, but i'll get a better response if i post it here right!

Here's the list:
- Intel motherboard, up to 64 GB RAM. Built in ethernet & sound $209.98
- Intel processor, quad core 3.5, overclocks self if needed, built-in intel HD 3000 graphics $309.99
- RAM 4GB two pack $56.98
- Case, 3 fans, red LEDs ;) $67.98
- Harddrive, 1TB Seagate $89.99
- Disc drive, Blu-ray $62.19
- Power Supply 520W & quiet! $59.99

Totals to $857.1; ~$1013.08 with tax figured in. I will be buying Windows 7 Pro then a graphics card with what's left (maybe even a cheap laptop too!).

Please let me know if you guys/girls think I should go for different brands, better parts, etc!

Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 11th, 2012 @ 10:56 PM Reply

Get an i5-3550 or i7-3770 with a 1155 socket mb. You don't need 2x PCI-e 3.0 slots and 8 memory slots.

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 11th, 2012 @ 11:48 PM Reply

first of all it depends of what do you want to do with your pc, assuming you want it to hardcore gaming (what needs more powerfull stuff)

go for 8 cores
get other x2 pack of ram (16 ram total) of 1600mhz
for hardrive get a WD caviar black
video sapphire 7770 or higher
power supply 700 or higger
get at least 3 extra fans for the case

instead of intel go for AMD, they are cheaper and corrently a little more advanced

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:13 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 11:48 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
instead of intel go for AMD, they are cheaper and corrently a little more advanced

Cheaper? Depends. But the i7 extreme series beats most AMD.

But you definitely need a GTX 690 up in there.

BBS Signature
Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:14 AM Reply

I would say to go for Western Digital HDD's, with either a Velociraptor or a solid state drive as an OS/Boot drive with your games with a second 1TB drive.
Also, get 6 or 8 GB, not just 4 if you can. The weakest link in my system is my lack of speedy RAM mostly.

Also, if you plan on upgrading later to get today's $1000 GFX card in a couple years for $250-$500, make sure you get an adequate power supply. I would say that a 700W is the bare minimum for this kind of plan. I run an 850W, which is more than I could probably ever need, and it didn't cost that much more at the time.

Also, don't stick with the integrated graphics unless you are not planning on ever doing some heavy duty gaming videos. Though, I've also heard if you get one of those processors that has it, and you have a dedicated GFX card, it can turn off the power to it when it is not being used and run off of the integrated chip to save energy and reduce heat - though this might be a motherboard feature; I'm not sure.

Make sure your case is large enough for all of your components and your PSU of choice. I didn't get the large case, and my PSU isn't modular, so cables everywhere.

Lastly, since it sounds like you will be running air-cooled, make sure you give your case proper ventilation. I run a 1st-gen i7 - runs at up to nearly 80C at the cores, underclocked. I don't know about the new chips, but I'm sure they run hot too, so be mindful. I've been told that 80C at the cores is barely acceptable, and 70C on the outside is the upper safe limit; an idle temperature of 40C-45C at the cores (30C on the outside) is what you want to get if the new chips are anything like the old ones.

Make sure your case is up off the ground and - ideally - not up against a wall internal to the house. Also, try to keep it as open to the air as possible with as little as possible surrounding it.

Good luck and game on/have fun!

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 5/12/12 12:13 AM, TruBluFoxx wrote:
At 5/11/12 11:48 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
Cheaper? Depends. But the i7 extreme series beats most AMD.

and with most you mean oldies XD

Say no to rape.

HotCakes
HotCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:22 AM Reply

Bestbuy is a rip off

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:28 AM Reply

as Tydusis said, cooling is very important so avoid the rookie mistake of remouveing a side of the case that will just f@ck up the air circulation.... for optimal cooling have air circulation this way:
suck: front , left, bottom
blow, back, right, top
use fants of at least 12 cm

also avoid it touching the floor (due dust) and put it away from direct sunlight, clean the dust out of it once every a couple of months at least

Say no to rape.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:41 AM Reply

I should get around to building my own computer. I've got two laptops but I want a tower for my living room to have connected to the T.V.

Best of luck OP

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 10:20 AM Reply

*cough* excuse me.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature
IAmSapphireBlvd
IAmSapphireBlvd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 10:39 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 10:17 PM, 7794 wrote: I will be buying Windows 7 Pro

i don't mean to be that guy who blatantly advocates piracy but holy shit don't waste your money

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:03 PM Reply

Thanks everyone for the responses.

At 5/11/12 11:48 PM, kakalxlax wrote: go for 8 cores, get other x2 pack of ram (16 ram total) of 1600mhz, for hardrive get a WD caviar black, video sapphire 7770 or higher, power supply 700 or higger, get at least 3 extra fans for the case

I will defiantly have to go for liquid cooling though since my room gets really warm. Air won't cut it. And i better PSU.
8 cores seems overkill but i won't have to upgrade for a while, i'll go for high speed ram, and that harddrive is sexy.
I was thinking of 2GB or more memory on a GPU/graphics card though.

I hear this a lot defiantly might go with AMD.

At 5/12/12 12:13 AM, TruBluFoxx wrote: Cheaper? Depends. But the i7 extreme series beats most AMD.

Bah! :O $1,000. I'll compare some intel/AMD mobos.

At 5/12/12 12:14 AM, Tydusis wrote: I would say to go for Western Digital HDD's, with either a Velociraptor or a solid state drive as an OS/Boot drive with your games with a second 1TB drive.

Sounds so appealing. Just might do it!

Also, get 6 or 8 GB, not just 4 if you can. The weakest link in my system is my lack of speedy RAM mostly. make sure you get an adequate power supply. I run an 850W

Ok sounds good i'll keep that all in mind.

Also, don't stick with the integrated graphics

Just getting other parts out of the way first. Then i'll get a graphics card.

Make sure your case is large enough for all of your components and your PSU of choice. I didn't get the large case, and my PSU isn't modular, so cables everywhere.

The one i have up looks average sized. I'll try to go bigger. And get a Modular power supply.

Lastly, since it sounds like you will be running air-cooled, make sure you give your case proper ventilation.

Yup, i'll have to look into liquid cooling :( On hotter days, my room gets well above 80 with just my ps3 & TV on.

Make sure your case is up off the ground and - ideally - not up against a wall internal to the house. Also, try to keep it as open to the air as possible with as little as possible surrounding it.

I planned on having it on a desk. Learning from having a rabbit that it's bad to have anything on the floor.

Good luck and game on/have fun!

Thank you for the tips!

At 5/12/12 12:19 AM, Austerity wrote: 3rd generation ivy bridge Intel Core processors just came out, I'd wait just a bit until they're more out there. Right now they're trying to get rid of their stock of 2nd generation Cores, in some cases by mislabeling them as 3rd generation.

Thanks for the heads up! Still have to make sure i can pay my college fees (Maybe with this money) so i will have to push this off for a bit longer anyways.

At 5/12/12 12:41 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: I should get around to building my own computer. I've got two laptops but I want a tower for my living room to have connected to the T.V.
Best of luck OP

Thanks! I'm connecting this to my TV too. Start saving monies!

At 5/12/12 10:39 AM, IAmSapphireBlvd wrote: i don't mean to be that guy who blatantly advocates piracy but holy shit don't waste your money

Hahaha. I've thought about it. But hell as long as i get a job soon, i don't mind wasting the money.

At 5/12/12 10:20 AM, C-Hawk wrote: *cough* excuse me.

If i need anymore help i'll post this over there. Thanks!

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:31 PM Reply

If you're going to best buy ask for a reverse warranty, it's where they return a small sum of your money in exchange for no warranty, and that means you can afford to buy better parts.

Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
CritcalOne
CritcalOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 12:59 PM Reply

waste of cash

Moved to new account.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 12:31 PM, Suprememessage wrote: If you're going to best buy ask for a reverse warranty, it's where they return a small sum of your money in exchange for no warranty, and that means you can afford to buy better parts.

I guess that's how Newegg can afford to give out better deals. Makes me feel better about buying stuff from best buy.

At 5/12/12 12:59 PM, CritcalOne wrote: waste of cash

Yes. Buying something that i will use almost daily and doing something i wanted to do for years is completely a waste of my money.

Meh I should be saving it... eh fuck that.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 04:06 PM Reply

liquid cooling will highly increase your budget, so, have that in mind, maybe you should upgrade to liquid after trying your new pc if you had overheating problems

Say no to rape.

Interotaku
Interotaku
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 04:39 PM Reply

Use newegg.

I got my gaming laptop for under $1000 with an i7 intel (that was just released a few months before), an ATI HD radeon 5730 graphics card, along with 4GB of ram and a 5400 RPM 500gb hard-drive.

Too bad that it's out of stock now, ha!

Imaku
Imaku
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 04:06 PM, kakalxlax wrote: liquid cooling will highly increase your budget, so, have that in mind, maybe you should upgrade to liquid after trying your new pc if you had overheating problems

Dust won't be as much a problem though.

I hate dusting, seriously, fuck that shit

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 06:38 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 04:06 PM, kakalxlax wrote: liquid cooling will highly increase your budget, so, have that in mind, maybe you should upgrade to liquid after trying your new pc if you had overheating problems

Exactly what i was thinking. I do have an air conditioner during the summer so if i just get some more fans for the tower it could be fine.

At 5/12/12 04:39 PM, Interotaku wrote: Use newegg.

Maybe. I compared prices and most are the same, and hopefully i can get some parts in store. It would just be easier that way.

I got my gaming laptop for under $1000 with an i7 intel (that was just released a few months before), an ATI HD radeon 5730 graphics card, along with 4GB of ram and a 5400 RPM 500gb hard-drive.

Why'd you get a laptop! I'll be spending about the same but the specs are twice as powerful than that. Power > portability

Interotaku
Interotaku
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 06:38 PM, 7794 wrote:
Why'd you get a laptop! I'll be spending about the same but the specs are twice as powerful than that. Power > portability

I travel frequently. :/

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 07:16 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 06:45 PM, Mourning97 wrote: Maybe you should try putting this in the programming forum?

this is hardware....

and you are a girl

Say no to rape.

No36
No36
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 5/11/12 10:17 PM, 7794 wrote: - Intel motherboard, up to 64 GB RAM. Built in ethernet & sound $209.98
- Intel processor, quad core 3.5, overclocks self if needed, built-in intel HD 3000 graphics $309.99

That processor won't fit on that motherboard, it's an LGA 1155 chip and the motherboard uses an LGA 2011 slot.
Here's a different Intel motherboard that uses the LGA1155 slot.

- RAM 4GB two pack $56.98

You can get 8GB of Corsair DDR3 RAM for less than that on Amazon.

- Power Supply 520W & quiet! $59.99

If you want to stick a high-end GPU in your computer, you might want to consider getting a more powerful power supply than this (600W+?)

Anyway, that seems like a good setup overall, especially if you pair it with a high-end GPU for gaming. :)

Lurking moar so you don't have to. | Needs more Renault 5 Turbo 2

BBS Signature
Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 08:09 PM Reply

That shit's expensive, yo.

I got a great computer for around 300â'¬, which will last me for at least another 5 years and more if I get a better gpu.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
Sanch
Sanch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 06:45 PM, Mourning97 wrote: Maybe you should try putting this in the programming forum?

lollin

you talk a good one but u dont do what your supposed to do

BBS Signature
georgesodini
georgesodini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 08:26 PM Reply

using perfectly good cash$$$ on a computer?
DAfuqq....
blow the cash on hookers bro

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 08:26 PM, georgesodini wrote: using perfectly good cash$$$ on a computer?
DAfuqq....
blow the cash on hookers bro

why rent hookers when you can buy a computer?

Say no to rape.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM Reply

At 5/12/12 06:45 PM, Interotaku wrote: I travel frequently. :/

If you didn't i'd beat you for your nonsense lol. Thats the only reason to get an expensive laptop.

Hahaha sorry no. The only true place for this is within the huge PC building thread i had no idea about.

At 5/12/12 08:01 PM, No36 wrote: Here's a different Intel motherboard that uses the LGA1155 slot.

Wahdafuq.. ok I'll try and find a 2011 chip or go with that mobo.

You can get 8GB of Corsair DDR3 RAM for less than that on Amazon. (600W+?)

Thanks. Yup i'm getting either a 700W or 850W now.

Anyway, that seems like a good setup overall, especially if you pair it with a high-end GPU for gaming. :)

I can't wait to get my hands all over the parts. And hopefully i'll be properly grounded when i do.

At 5/12/12 08:26 PM, georgesodini wrote: using perfectly good cash$$$ on a computer? DAfuqq.... blow the cash on hookers bro

Its dirty money. I blackmailed a politician, half assed it and only got the $2,050 out of it.

At 5/12/12 08:39 PM, kakalxlax wrote: why rent hookers when you can buy a computer?

I'll have loose women all over my ass anyways once i get this thing set up and word gets around.

TiredPaperBoy
TiredPaperBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Building PC, advice or suggestions? May. 12th, 2012 @ 10:20 PM Reply

Well without changeing the entire thing to my prefrences I just have some advice.

Personally, I dis like Seagate, they are owned by Western Digital and I have had a shit storm of Hard drives from then die.

Also, if you are spending this much on a nice PC, get a quality, reliable PSU, that 520w may actually output something close to 400w (didnt look into that particular model, just cheapy ones perform badly). Plus, if you get a nice... I dunno, Corsair, if it breaks (It bloody wont) then chances are you wont fry your entire rig.

I've had generic PSU's that came with the case blow the fuck up and throw blue sparks out the ass end of it... Very spectacular sight to behold, but not really what you want your PC's to do.

*No longer PaperBoy, due to a technicality involving a 'missing' energy drink, I am now TiredBoy...
General Forum
The Funniest BBS Typo

BBS Signature