New Topic Respond to this Topic
ReaverIndustries
ReaverIndustries
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Hey, I'm new here! May. 10th, 2012 @ 02:21 AM Reply

Hello! I'm new here on Newgrounds and I want to improve my drawing skills. This is my drawing of Hitmonchan. I know it's pretty easy to do it but I want to learn more. Please can you give me some advice?

Hey, I'm new here!

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Hey, I'm new here! May. 10th, 2012 @ 02:40 AM Reply

Welcome! Always good to see new faces around here. I think it'll be a lot easier to give you advice if you show us something you've drawn from scratch- with Hitmonchan it's hard to see where the Pokemon artist's skill leaves off and yours begins. Try drawing a character of your own, or perhaps a person or animal?

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
ReaverIndustries
ReaverIndustries
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey, I'm new here! May. 10th, 2012 @ 05:12 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 02:40 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Welcome! Always good to see new faces around here. I think it'll be a lot easier to give you advice if you show us something you've drawn from scratch- with Hitmonchan it's hard to see where the Pokemon artist's skill leaves off and yours begins. Try drawing a character of your own, or perhaps a person or animal?

Ok, sure....I don't draw my characters very often because I really suck at drawing people and I don't have so much inspiration... But hey, that's why I'm here...To improve my drawing skills and to get some advice. Here are some drawings... They are very simple...I've drawn this a couple of months ago I think...

Hey, I'm new here!

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Hey, I'm new here! May. 10th, 2012 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 5/10/12 05:12 AM, ReaverIndustries wrote: Ok, sure....I don't draw my characters very often because I really suck at drawing people and I don't have so much inspiration... But hey, that's why I'm here...To improve my drawing skills and to get some advice. Here are some drawings... They are very simple...I've drawn this a couple of months ago I think...

Sweet, you've got a nice cartoony style going on here. I think the next steps for you to work on are probably shading and perspective- so that you can give your figures and their environments the illusion of three dimensionality. We've got some tutorials here and here.

Another thing that might be useful is getting a sketchbook full of unlined paper and taking it with you everywhere- it's a great way to make sure you have paper on hand to practice with when you're stuck with nothing else to do. Drawing from life (rather than imagination) is usually very helpful to beginning artists as it teaches you a lot about lighting and proportions that is hard to figure out without reference.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
ReaverIndustries
ReaverIndustries
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey, I'm new here! May. 11th, 2012 @ 01:20 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 07:58 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 5/10/12 05:12 AM, ReaverIndustries wrote: Ok, sure....I don't draw my characters very often because I really suck at drawing people and I don't have so much inspiration... But hey, that's why I'm here...To improve my drawing skills and to get some advice. Here are some drawings... They are very simple...I've drawn this a couple of months ago I think...
Sweet, you've got a nice cartoony style going on here. I think the next steps for you to work on are probably shading and perspective- so that you can give your figures and their environments the illusion of three dimensionality. We've got some tutorials here and here.

Another thing that might be useful is getting a sketchbook full of unlined paper and taking it with you everywhere- it's a great way to make sure you have paper on hand to practice with when you're stuck with nothing else to do. Drawing from life (rather than imagination) is usually very helpful to beginning artists as it teaches you a lot about lighting and proportions that is hard to figure out without reference.

Thank you very much for your advice.
Theese are my first characters... I've never drawn something like this before. I was usually drawing my comics with mickey mouse and garfield characters in it when I was 12. I don't draw on lined paper anymore. I was bored one day and I didn't have normal paper so I drew theese. What pencils should I use? I mean...What do you recommend?

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Hey, I'm new here! May. 11th, 2012 @ 03:25 AM Reply

I like watercolor pencils because they aren't waxy and you can work them wet and dry, but that's just a matter of personal taste. I've never really mastered colored pencils so I don't know what brands are best.

As far as graphite pencils go, I recommend getting a set of different grades and switching between them as needed.

BBS Signature
ReaverIndustries
ReaverIndustries
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Hey, I'm new here! May. 11th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 5/11/12 03:25 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I like watercolor pencils because they aren't waxy and you can work them wet and dry, but that's just a matter of personal taste. I've never really mastered colored pencils so I don't know what brands are best.

As far as graphite pencils go, I recommend getting a set of different grades and switching between them as needed.

Ok thanks. I bought like 4 different kinds of pencils today.
So basically in the beginning all I have to practice is shading and perspective?
What about comics? I really want to make my own comic with my own characters. That's actually the reason why I want to improve my drawing skills. I have a lot of ideas but I can't get them from my head to the paper.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Hey, I'm new here! May. 11th, 2012 @ 08:21 PM Reply

Aigis (tartaka.com) is our resident person-who-is-super-amazing-at-comics. He'll be a good person to talk to. (I don't know much.)

Also my favorite webcomic artist, Aaron Diaz, has a blog that offers helpful hints about comic building, called Indistinguishable From Magic. The useful posts show up near the beginning, so if i were you I'd start there and read newer posts as you go.

BBS Signature