New Topic Respond to this Topic
g1i1ch
g1i1ch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
html5 game engine needs testers 2012-05-09 13:48:45 Reply

I was contracted to make an html5 game for a studio in Australia. As part of the contract I was able to keep ownership of the game engine it used. I'm at a point now where it's very usable but I really want to vamp it up into something more professional and fill in bugs here or there. The best way I can think of this is to have other developers play around with it and put it through it's rounds. Here's some features:

*Sprites
*Infinite layers and switching between them
*Polygon based path system
*Sphere and eventually polygon based collision system
*Event system
*150+ key combinations, mouse, touch input
*Behavior tree AI
*Scene Management
*Dialogue tree system with 670+ customization possibilities
*Resource management
*Html5 audio and video manager
*Timed commands and timers
*Works on all known platforms and browsers and phones
(note until smartphone canvas development proceeds expect limited performance)

All those features are usable and at certain stages of development. Also I'd really like to start making documentation for the engine and I'm pretty much the human encyclopedia for it. So testers asking questions about functionality would be a great way to base the documentation on. It already has a commercial game released by the australian studio on intel's appup from a very alpha version of the engine. Soon I'd like to add more features to the list once the current features are more stable. Like physics, better path and collisions and stuff like that. While I make the website for the engine you can check out a very simple, mind very simple, demonstration of it working at www.iris-studios.co . The engine is minified in this but the init.js there can give you an idea of how the api looks. If anyone is interested reply to this or private msg me.

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to html5 game engine needs testers 2012-05-19 21:58:17 Reply

First: A game in HTML5? That's... Interesting. That is actually very interesting.
Second: Game developers are NOT what you're looking for. If you want people who think like gamers, you need gamers.
If, however, you need people to look at your program and help you debug it, devels are the way to go.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to html5 game engine needs testers 2012-05-20 15:53:07 Reply

Pretty cool. On my web apps I use JavaScript, HTML and CSS3. Works really great and JavaScript is really fast.

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to html5 game engine needs testers 2012-05-22 05:02:09 Reply

At 5/20/12 03:53 PM, Rawnern wrote: Pretty cool. On my web apps I use JavaScript, HTML and CSS3. Works really great and JavaScript is really fast.

the only problem I have with javascript: IE

... IE...

... IE...

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
McPaper
McPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Programmer
Response to html5 game engine needs testers 2012-05-23 07:03:29 Reply

Your engine sounds cool. Are you able to open source it?

A good way to publicise web programming libraries like yours is of course to make public API documentation.

Personally, If I was you I would stick it somewhere like Github as well as a nice web page explaining what it does. The idea being that anyone who is interested will gladly read up on it and suggest improvements.

BBS Signature