New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 01:43 PM Reply

eBay got the better of me yet again and I've ended up buying myself a Gamecube. It cost me £25 which I guess is more than I would have liked but it is boxed, comes with a controller, memory card and three games. The games are disappointing, but at least they'll give me a chance to make sure the console is working.

Anyway, down to the point of this thread. Which games would you recommend I get for the Gamecube? There are a few titles that I'd like to get, but they're generally the more expensive ones. Things like The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition and Twilight Princess. I've heard Metroid Prime is good too.

Oh yea, and the games that come with the system are NBA Courtside 2002, Waverace Bluestorm and Spiderman but lets face it, nobody was going to recommend any of those.

So yea, anyone have some good Gamecube game recommendations? Preferably titles that don't cost an absolute fortune although it might be nice to hear some of them too.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 02:11 PM Reply

I don't think I need to recommend every first-party Nintendo game so I'll try to list other exclusives for the system.

Super Mario Sunshine - Ok, this is a first-party game, but Mario Sunshine got some really mixed reception so you might be hesitant to try it. I still have some fond memories of it and even if it has faults there's enough good stuff there to keep you entertained. Even at its worst (trying to fucking control Yoshi) it's still a fun platformer.

Skies of Arcadia - Solid JRPG that I loved back in the day although it might not have held up as well as I remember. Extra content makes it a better buy than the Dreamcast original.

Rogue Squadron II - I hate Star Wars so much that I have an immediate adverse reaction to any products based on it, but this game was fun enough that I could get over my personal grudges.

Cubivore - Not a good game, but and interesting one to add to a collection. The game looked like shit, even for it's time, but the idea of slowly evolving your creature is neat.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - I hated the adorable kiddie art style, but it was still a good looking game and fun if you have the friends to play it with.

Resident Evil - Completely revamped remake of the original that makes the first look like shit by comparison. Great if you're longing for the classic style. Also check out Resident Evil Zero which isn't as good, but has the benefit of being an all-new game.

Super Monkey Ball - While the main game is decent, if really fucking annoying at points, the Super Monkey Ball games have surprisingly solid minigame modes. If you've got friends there's a lot of fun to be had with a case of beer and the Monkey Target game.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 02:11 PM Reply

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is pretty good, even if it isn't quite as good as the original. You should grab Super Smash Bros. Melee as well, it's pretty much an essential to any Gamecube library. The Viewtiful Joe games are fun, you should pick those up if you don't already have the PS2 versions, and the Resident Evil remake is also nice, though I'd still recommend the original over it.

Movie of the Week: Angel's Egg (1985)

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 02:11 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Super Mario Sunshine
Skies of Arcadia

I'll need to save up some pennies if I want these two. Both sound pretty appealing but sadly they sell for fortune, based on the lowest selling price on Amazon. I'll keep my eyes peeled for them on eBay.

Cubivore

Sounded pretty interesting but upon further inspection it was never released in the EU.

Rogue Squadron II
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles:
Resident Evil
Super Monkey Ball

These ones are all priced a lot more reasonably so I'll definitely prioritise them for now.

At 5/9/12 02:11 PM, Oolaph wrote: Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

I think this is looking to be the most expensive game of the lot so far. £40 is the lowest asking price on Amazon. If you're not familiar with British currency, that's the price of a RRP Xbox 360 game on release. It does sound interesting though, but it will be a while before I have that kind of money to spend on one game.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Semi-reasonable price, but isn't this one of those games that's only really fun if you have friends around to play it? Out my my friend group, I'm probably the only one who's even remotely interested in old video games. Still, like you say, it does seem to be a must have title for the system.

Viewtiful Joe

A friend was actually speaking about this game to me not too long ago. They seem pretty cheap too so it's definitely going on the priority list.

BBS Signature
EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 02:39 PM Reply

Luigi's Mansion.

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 02:25 PM, Dean wrote:
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
I think this is looking to be the most expensive game of the lot so far. Ã'£40 is the lowest asking price on Amazon. If you're not familiar with British currency, that's the price of a RRP Xbox 360 game on release. It does sound interesting though, but it will be a while before I have that kind of money to spend on one game.

Ah, yeah. I forgot how rare it was. To be honest, it's not even close to being worth that much, especially considering how much cheaper (and better) the original is in comparison.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Semi-reasonable price, but isn't this one of those games that's only really fun if you have friends around to play it? Out my my friend group, I'm probably the only one who's even remotely interested in old video games. Still, like you say, it does seem to be a must have title for the system.

It is definitely a party game, I will admit. Though if you stumble upon it for a good price you should definitely get it. Even if your friends aren't interested in "old" games, it can still be a load of fun once you get them to play.

I didn't even realize the Gamecube was considered old now; though I still think of the current gen as brand new, so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

Movie of the Week: Angel's Egg (1985)

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 02:42 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 02:25 PM, Dean wrote:
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Semi-reasonable price, but isn't this one of those games that's only really fun if you have friends around to play it?

I played the shit out of that game all by myself back when if first came out. The Smash Bros. games are very pick-up-and-play friendly and Melee introduced new modes and challenges and dozens upon dozens of unlockables. Granted, the game is still at its best when you're playing with friends, but there is a lot to do if you go it alone.

Viewtiful Joe
A friend was actually speaking about this game to me not too long ago. They seem pretty cheap too so it's definitely going on the priority list.

I forgot about that one. That should definitely be a pick up. The story is deliciously hammy and the brawling is tight and fun. It's a ball-bustingly hard game at points but worthwhile to finally beat the last boss.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 04:23 PM Reply

TimeSplitters 2 and TimeSplitters Future Perfect are both very good FPSs for the GameCube. The former is much more fast paced and arcadey than the sequel, but the latter has a decent single-player mode behind it, plus some bigger levels, better weapons and mapmaker, and more monkeys.

Animal Crossing is alright, if you like pulling weeds, doing chores, and being in debt to a raccoon. You're probably better off getting one of the sequels for the DS or Wii to be honest, since they seem to offer much more. Plus, it takes a full memory card just to make a save for Animal Crossing.

I also recommend picking up Viewtiful Joe. It's just a blast to play, really. It does get difficult towards the end, but not impossible.

The Metroid Prime games are definitely good. They may not play like other FPSs, but that's something that I liked about them. I only played the second, Echoes, and never got the chance to beat it, but still, they're great nonetheless. Plus, Samus Aran kicks a ton of ass.

Speaking of shooters made by Nintendo, there's also the obscure Geist. It played like most FPSs do and had a weird story that I swear tries to mimic the FEAR games at times, but it was still decent. The main kicker to Geist though was the ability to become a ghost, phase through objects, and possess enemies or the environment and use them to your advantage. Guys with a machine gun standing behind his buddies providing support? Try possessing him and turn him against his former comrades. Even cooler, possessing is possible both in single player and in the multi-player, which you can play with either friends or bots.

Aside from the Metroid Prime games, these should all be rather affordable. Good luck finding them.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 05:12 PM Reply

Definitely get the Metroid Prime games. Especially the first one is excellent in my opinion (arguably the best game for the Gamecube) and I don't think the price for it will be that high. At least, I bought it for only 13 euros a couple of years ago.

Other than that I don't really have that many recommendations. The Prince of Persia series is fun in my opinion, but whether it is really a must have I don't know... I'd say buy them if you can get them somewhere for a reasonable price. I also liked Star Fox Adventures, but you'll be probably be disappointed if you're a fan of the series as it's more of an adventure game (Zelda-style) than a shooter.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 05:13 PM Reply

Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Mario Kart Double Dash
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker
The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess
The Legend Of Zelda Collector's Edition
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD Gale Of Darkness
Pikmin
Pikmin 2

Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection
Burnout
Burnout 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 05:17 PM Reply

Sonic Adventure DX

Sonic Adventure 2 battle

Sonic Heroes

Super Smash brothers melee

007 agent under fire

Resident Evil 4 (When RE actually got good.)

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 05:13 PM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Nope.

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 01:43 PM, Dean wrote: Oh yea, and the games that come with the system are NBA Courtside 2002, Waverace Bluestorm and Spiderman but lets face it, nobody was going to recommend any of those.

Is it Spiderman or Spiderman 2? Because Spiderman 2 is one of the best super hero games ever!

Also, why don't you just try getting some used games in a store? Not long ago I saw the Resident Evil remake for what I believe would be about $19.

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 05:24 PM Reply

Also get Soul Calibur 2, it is my favorite from the ones i've played and IT HAS LINK IN IT!

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature
Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 06:00 PM Reply

damn, anything i was gonna recommend has already been said

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Just get some friends, 4 GBAs and 4 GBA-Gamecube link cab-.. wait nevermind.

Getting all this stuff together to play FF:CC with 4 people is an epic quest in itself.

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 05:20 PM, EtchASketchClock wrote:
Nope.

Nope.

Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM Reply

I personally liked Yu-gi-oh: Falsebound Kingdom, but it didn't get very good reception overall. The reason I liked it was because I was young at the time of getting it and realized that this was the first Yu-gi-oh game that I saw that used real 3D monsters instead of the cards. Of course, the fun is limiting to when you play the story modes, to where after you complete them, unless you're interested in getting all of the monsters, it's not really worth playing any more.

There's Kirby Air ride, which is a pretty decent racing game. Good for friends and such.

There's also LoZ: Four Swords Adventures. Pretty good for a 2D Zelda game that a lot of people think SHOULD'VE been 3D.

Also, if you get the Bongo controllers, get Donkey Konga 2 and....shit, can't remember the other one. It has him fighting and such; platformer type of thing.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 05:21 PM, MasterMerol wrote: Is it Spiderman or Spiderman 2? Because Spiderman 2 is one of the best super hero games ever!

It's just listed as Spiderman and the photo of the set has all the cases open so I can't see the cover art. Probably safe to assume that it's the first.

Also, why don't you just try getting some used games in a store? Not long ago I saw the Resident Evil remake for what I believe would be about $19.

Yea, I wish I could. My local game store closed recently but even so, they stopped stocking Gamecube stuff because they said it was now deemed "collectable". This store only really stocked current gen + PS2 games. Nowhere else in my town will stock games for older system.

At 5/9/12 06:00 PM, Lionelion wrote: damn, anything i was gonna recommend has already been said

I suppose that's a good sign. I've got a pretty big list of stuff to look through now. Thanks guys.

BBS Signature
Bobbybroccoli
Bobbybroccoli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

I know this is licensed, and a Spongebob game, but it happens to be one of the best licensed games I've ever played.

Everything about it screams love and care went into this game.

Authentic music and voice actors, 12 different locations that look and feel like the show, and tons of characters.

Basic gameplay is platforming, with 3 characters (Spongebob, Sandy, and Patrick) where you have to complete objectives to get Golden spatulas which unlock new areas.

This game is awesome, it has bungy jumping, challenging yet fair levels, slides, large bosses, and a ton of gameplay.

Defined my childhood this game did.

EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 06:19 PM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote:
At 5/9/12 05:20 PM, EtchASketchClock wrote:
Nope.
Nope.

Tony Hawk games just aren't worth it on Nintendo consoles.

BBS Signature
EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 07:45 PM, Protagonist wrote: Nice opinion there guy.

And there is nothing wrong with that.
Just letting the OP know that it would be a good idea (IMO) to avoid Tony Hawk games if they aren't on a Playstation/2.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 9th, 2012 @ 09:12 PM Reply

Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil Remake Resident Evil 4 and Smash Bros. Melee are the best games for the system.

BBS Signature
Emlfuryoflion
Emlfuryoflion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 10th, 2012 @ 12:52 AM Reply

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game on the gamecube.

A must have game if you ask me.

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 10th, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 5/9/12 06:00 PM, Lionelion wrote: damn, anything i was gonna recommend has already been said

I take this back, heres a few games:
Try out Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Its an awesome RPGish multiplayer game that also works well as single player game. Definitely give it a try!
Hot Wheels Velocity X is a surprisingly good racing game, with a great multiplayer battle option. Try it out.
Simpson's Hit and Run has been described as being similar to Grand Theft Auto, so if you like that, you'll like this. Even if you dont like GTA, i'd still at least try it once.
Super Monkey Ball was mentioned, but if you like it, then definitely check out its sequel, Super Monkey Ball 2. If nothing else, its soundtrack is awesome. It has awesome multiplayer, and its single player is as fun as it is challenging. And if you like it, then you can go on to Super Monkey Ball Adventure!(at least i think its called that)
Curses, Kirby Air Ride already got mentioned. Well i'll just reiterate how fun of a racing game it is.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 10th, 2012 @ 05:50 AM Reply

So, as it turns out, Gamecube games (or the good ones at least) cost a lot more than I was expecting. Regardless, there does seem to be a lot of awesome titles on this system so assuming the console does arrive in one piece and in working order, I reckon I'll stick with it. It's just going to take me a lot longer to get the good games for it.

At 5/10/12 12:52 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game on the gamecube.

It's an expensive one too. £50. That's more than the price of a new Xbox 360 game at RRP. I'll keep my eye out for a copy going cheap though.

At 5/10/12 03:29 AM, The777Demon wrote: Eternal darkness

Jackho recommended this as well and it sounds pretty interesting. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of copies on Amazon/eBay either, so I'll be looking into that one.

BBS Signature
kiljoy96
kiljoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 10th, 2012 @ 07:48 AM Reply

X-Men Legends 2 is great.
And then the usuals, Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Paper Mario, etc. They are well worth the price, however much that may be.
Tak and Tak 2 were good, but I'm not sure how they've aged.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 10th, 2012 @ 08:53 AM Reply

I'd strongly suggest both Metroid Prime games, F-Zero GX, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Killer7 and perhaps you should try to find Star Fox Adventures. These were off the top of my list.

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 10th, 2012 @ 09:54 AM Reply

No one's mentioned Billy Hatcher? Game was classic....

Also:

Resident Evil 4
The Metroid Games
Zelda
Sonic (surprisingly)
Tales of Symphonia
Goldeneye 007 (the only good fps on the system)
Anything Mario

Though I'm sure these games will cost you a pretty penny...being out of production and everything.

keisarin0
keisarin0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Gamecube Recommendations May. 10th, 2012 @ 12:41 PM Reply

paper mario: the thousand year door is a must have!

3ds freind code: 5455-9415-6930 youtube

BBS Signature