New Topic Respond to this Topic
NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 9th, 2012 @ 07:26 PM Reply

I was in one jazz band but it was like 11 years ago. Left the band when I moved to US to study. I still play trombone and piano.

It was fun to have a band because we all can share creativity together. However honestly I find making music using a laptop/digital tool to replace for the real band is much easier. Always needed to rent a space to play while using a laptop you can just simply create the similar music in any coffee shop! Sometime disagreements in music composition could lead to delay of production and emotional complication.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 9th, 2012 @ 07:59 PM Reply

Ive never been in a band for more then a few months, every time I try to stay and keep things together oot always ends with egos going haywire.
I always try to leave my ego at the door and focus on the music and try to bring everybody's vision together into one coherent piece, but it seems that every person ive played with wants to become a rockstar instead of an artist and that this is THEIR band not OUR.

I remember when I first started playing guitar and this friend of mine played drums at the local brass-band, we would just join up once a week and jam our hearts out, thats the kind of stuff i want to do, just chill out and create something everyone can be proud of.

So yeah, long story short: Now I have about 5 different solo projects, all going nowhere and thats just the way I like it.

I also generally play as a session musician if theres any bands who need a bass or a guitar player at a gig.

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 9th, 2012 @ 08:35 PM Reply

i was in a band my first summer doing summer stock. we would wolf down dinner and drive over to this local guy's house to play in his basement. I played this whack ibanez active bass with this monster Trace Elliot hybrid amp. If you touched any of the knobs on the bass it'd stop making noise, and if you touched any of the knobs on the amp it'd start crackling and hissing like mad.

After like a week of working during dinner, we had one song written and down. We played it during a company meeting and people lost their shit, and then we never played together again. it was fuckin badass. I learned more playing with those guys for a week than I do working on my own for months at a time, and playing live is a fucking blast because even if you fuck up you have to keep going.

but maintaining a 'band' that's more than just some people you jam with would be a fucking bitch.

Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 9th, 2012 @ 09:58 PM Reply

I dont know about bands, but I've been singing in choirs for the last seven years.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

SonOfFlynn
SonOfFlynn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 10th, 2012 @ 12:04 AM Reply

I play in a band :D I'm the drummer for a Band called Disproportionate Response! I also add electronic stuff to it through synth and computer . But its still a live band d:

BBS Signature
NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 10th, 2012 @ 01:38 AM Reply

I used to play in a band with this guy named Jim.
We played melodic black metal (oh what rebels we were).
I quit because the drugs oozed in to our sessions.

After that I played experimental jazz (no I'm no expert on that, I just played what the bassist told me) in a band.
We went to our differend ways due to the disagreeing on what we should actually play.

Nowadays Tom keeps calling me: "I have this great new project going... bla bla..."
And I always respond: "Bitch please..."

Never again.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 10th, 2012 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 01:38 AM, NikeTheSword wrote: Nowadays Tom keeps calling me:

I meant Jim keeps calling me.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Madjasper1
Madjasper1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 10th, 2012 @ 10:56 AM Reply

I'm drummer in a band.

I am also a drummer, I just don't play in a band, I used to jam with my bro, who plays bass, but we only ever played one song.
'Time is running out' by Muse

Signature by Chdonga

BBS Signature
satanicpotatoe
satanicpotatoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 11th, 2012 @ 06:46 PM Reply

Hi guys,

I play keyboards in Daedalean Complex, here is our first video ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLwI-o2FdgU

Ciao

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 11th, 2012 @ 06:51 PM Reply

At 5/11/12 06:46 PM, satanicpotatoe wrote: Hi guys,

I play keyboards in Daedalean Complex, here is our first video ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLwI-o2FdgU

Ciao

no1cares

p.s. i am gay

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 12th, 2012 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 5/7/12 04:46 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Because people like me have a hard time finding other dedicated musicians in the area to make music with. I had been trying to get a band together for around 5 years, when I finally decided, "Fuck it, I'll do it on my own."

People are unreliable and lazy pricks. It's easier to just do things solo.

^This.
What this scholar said is one the main reasons I got into electronica.

MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 13th, 2012 @ 01:39 PM Reply

I've been only in one band. It was kind of a disaster. The drummer wasn't able to variate the things he played and we always had the same beat going on. At least he could change the rhythm. I entered the band as a bassist, because they needed one. My friend was playing in there and we jammed before, so he thought it would be a cool idea to call me in. Basically all they wanted was to cover Linkin Park and some other bands. It got boring quickly because nobody wanted to compose anything. And in the long run, nobody ever learned their parts so there was no rehearsal. And they never wanted to jam. And the pianist would always play his fucking "Sweet Child Of Mine" in the end and whine.

Later I've gathered another group of people, but shit didn't work out again. I'll look for more people when I move back to Russia. It's hard to find someone with the same musical taste among the people in Cairo. The place where I've been rehearsing - it's full of douches wearing those huge hipster glasses and again, playing only covers. What works for them I guess, huh.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 13th, 2012 @ 02:02 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 01:39 PM, MrSaint wrote: I've been only in one band. It was kind of a disaster.

Thats usually how it goes :D

I was in like 4ish bands throughout highschool and then I just gave up. It's pretty hilarious though, because all the douchey kids who were also in bands in my home town are still living with their parents trying to make it big. And they're actually getting worse.. One band made it out and got pretty big, but I still think they're douche bags for talking smack all the time.

Bands are pretty cool, but I've found that doing stuff on your own is much cooler. You have 100% control of everything :)

MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 13th, 2012 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 5/13/12 02:02 PM, ZStriefel wrote:
At 5/13/12 01:39 PM, MrSaint wrote: I've been only in one band. It was kind of a disaster.
Thats usually how it goes :D

I was in like 4ish bands throughout highschool and then I just gave up. It's pretty hilarious though, because all the douchey kids who were also in bands in my home town are still living with their parents trying to make it big. And they're actually getting worse.. One band made it out and got pretty big, but I still think they're douche bags for talking smack all the time.

Bands are pretty cool, but I've found that doing stuff on your own is much cooler. You have 100% control of everything :)

Well, maybe it should be a disaster, but I didn't enjoy this particular one, hah. The bandmates were pretty selfish and always changed stuff, I just couldn't roll along. They didn't really know what they wanted. Still, want to join some other band. Might get better bandmates next time.

And speaking of making it big, honestly, I never thought of playing in a band for a living. I'm planning to get an education, while continuing this musical thing going on. If I get lucky, I'll still finish off uni and only then... Bah, dreams, mates.

Adriatic
Adriatic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to who still plays in a band? May. 13th, 2012 @ 02:51 PM Reply

I had a band, when i was 17 yrs old (8 yrs ago), back then I had the most creativity... I loved playing something new, something progressive, unlike many other bands in the garage complex where we played had covers like RHCP, QTSA xD.
I can say that it was the best part of my musical life. Actually we agreed to start playin' again soon :P
If you wanna hear what kind of music we played, find the song on my profile "Night Creatures".