New Topic Respond to this Topic
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Any good drum programs? May. 6th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

I'm in the middle of recording an album right now, but have been planning on doing drums through the computer, but my previous plan didn't really work out.. So basically my question is does anyone have any good drum programs they know of? Also is it compatible with MIDI? Because I don't really want a drum machine, exactly...... I generally don't use software for music so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be good. Thankyou!

neyus99
neyus99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 6th, 2012 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 5/6/12 11:04 PM, Trampzy wrote: I'm in the middle of recording an album right now, but have been planning on doing drums through the computer, but my previous plan didn't really work out.. So basically my question is does anyone have any good drum programs they know of? Also is it compatible with MIDI? Because I don't really want a drum machine, exactly...... I generally don't use software for music so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be good. Thankyou!

if you want real drums sounding try "Addictive Drums" or "EZ drummer". You're going to have to deal with some kind of "software" material deal to use any of those 2 vst or any plugins or vst in general.

Other wise I can't think of anything else! And how were you doing drums through your computer?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 6th, 2012 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 5/6/12 11:12 PM, neyus99 wrote: Other wise I can't think of anything else! And how were you doing drums through your computer?

Thanks, I've heard of EZ drummer and I'm looking up addictive drums right now. My previous plan was too use my MIDI controller through Abelton Live, but the version I have doesn't really have much flexibility so I couldn't do it. Then Adobe Audition just doesn't do anything like that... I had just gotten around to doing some drums tonight, but my idea didn't work out, so now I need a real program :P

neyus99
neyus99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:06 AM Reply

Ableton live is pretty cool. Especially for like dance music no?

Well when you say real program do you want to try out another daw software to play around with your midi controller ? As right now what kind of plugins or vst do you have?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:14 AM Reply

At 5/7/12 12:06 AM, neyus99 wrote: Ableton live is pretty cool. Especially for like dance music no?

Well when you say real program do you want to try out another daw software to play around with your midi controller ? As right now what kind of plugins or vst do you have?

Yeah I'm looking to be able to use my midi controller. Right now on my computer, I got Audition , Ableton Live 6.0.1 Lite, and Audacity. I have a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and a M-Audio Venom as my midi controller at the moment.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:19 AM Reply

Also the Venom has drum stuff in it, but it's not believable at all. The only redeeming quality is that you can tweak the sound. Also from Ableton I have some drum samples on the computer, but they're subpar.

neyus99
neyus99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:25 AM Reply

Have you tried Battery 3?? Technically its a drum sampler vst but it comes with different amount of drum presets. You can get real drums or electronic drums. Sample Tank 2 has some good/decent drum vst as well.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:33 AM Reply

At 5/7/12 12:25 AM, neyus99 wrote: Have you tried Battery 3?? Technically its a drum sampler vst but it comes with different amount of drum presets. You can get real drums or electronic drums. Sample Tank 2 has some good/decent drum vst as well.

I had briefly skimmed by Battery 3 earlier today. For this particular thing, I need drums for rock/industrial/prog, etc. so would Battery 3 do it? Also is it free? I'm trying to keep my expenses for this album down, because they can rack up fast and at the same time I also have to prepare for some shows which will also cost a few bucks for equipment.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:38 AM Reply

I actually just checked the site, yeah it's 200 bucks. This is kindof a tricky situation.. all the good drum programs are $150-$200

neyus99
neyus99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:48 AM Reply

When it comes to making quality music (aside from production quality) you pay what you get for. And honestly Battery 3 is one of the best drum vsts out there. Along side with EZ drummer and Addictive Drums. Battery is just so versatile because it goes beyond playing you real acousitc pre-recorded drums it goes all the way down to industrial, electronic, 808,909 drums.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 5/7/12 12:48 AM, neyus99 wrote: When it comes to making quality music (aside from production quality) you pay what you get for. And honestly Battery 3 is one of the best drum vsts out there. Along side with EZ drummer and Addictive Drums. Battery is just so versatile because it goes beyond playing you real acousitc pre-recorded drums it goes all the way down to industrial, electronic, 808,909 drums.

Battery 3 did look really good. My main concern was that I would buy use it for about a month than not touch it again, but if it's a program that I can get a couple to several years out of for my various projects than I'd defiantly get it. (btw, I procrastinate upgrading for years, my computer is 8 years old; works great though :P) I'll probably have to dip into my savings for my new synth for this one, but I think I gotta prioritize. I'm gonna go look around their site for awhile. Thanks neyus99! It's quite likely I'll be getting this

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 01:02 AM Reply

oooooo and I found the demo for it :}

neyus99
neyus99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 01:03 AM Reply

Np!

And wow 8 year old computer??!?!!? Well hope it all works out for you.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Any good drum programs? May. 7th, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 5/7/12 01:03 AM, neyus99 wrote: Np!

And wow 8 year old computer??!?!!? Well hope it all works out for you.

haha yeah, I'm surprised that it actually runs. It's surprisingly good. Thanks!