Be a Supporter!
CowardlyLion
CowardlyLion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Orchestral VST May. 6th, 2012 @ 03:21 PM Reply

I've been looking around for a VST to get some full strings (individual, and ensemble), and possibly some orchestral percussion. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what VST to use to achieve a full orchestral sound?

-CowardlyLion (SoundCloud)

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Orchestral VST May. 6th, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

In order of awesomeness from lowest to highest quality (IMO).

blackattackbitch's soundfonts - Edirol Orchestra - Garritan Personal Orchestra - East/West Symphonic Orchestra - This.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
retrobox2
retrobox2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Orchestral VST May. 6th, 2012 @ 03:48 PM Reply

Yeah those are the basic but if you want some really awesome thing there is vienna symphonic library but that shit sure cost a lot. Anyway for some awesome string I guess that I can mention the LA scoring strings those are of some really good quality too. Another one from the basic one is miroslav philharmonik it is pretty old but it produce some decent strings.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Orchestral VST May. 6th, 2012 @ 04:04 PM Reply

For strings: Audiobro's LA Scoring Strings or East/West's Hollywood Strings
For brass: CineSamples' CineBrass + CineBrass Pro or East/West's Hollywood Brass

Nobody's really done an in-depth woodwinds library so far. (I guess there's CineSamples' HollyWoodwinds, but I haven't really heard anything that uses it.)

For what it's worth, LA Scoring Strings and CineBrass generally sit really nicely together in a mix. So if one of those libraries piques your interest, I'd suggest complementing it with the other. Hollywood Strings and Hollywood Brass sit well together (they were recorded in the same hall).

I wouldn't advise mixing LASS and Hollywood Brass, or CineBrass and Hollywood Strings: the results will certainly still be very good, but you'll have to be really careful about the reverb you apply, or it will sound like your strings and brass were recorded in two entirely different locations. It's pretty subtle, and most people probably won't even notice it.

But I will.

If you want a kind of broad library that gives you a lot of content for your money, you can get East/West Symphonic Orchestra silver or gold. The difference in sound quality, versatility, and realism when you compare that to the newer, more expensive libraries is very noticeable (Symphonic Orchestra is fairly old as far as VSTs go), and it's nowhere near as in-depth as libraries that focus in on individual sections, but for the money it's a pretty good deal: you get woodwinds, brass, strings, and orchestral percussion all in one library.

NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Orchestral VST May. 6th, 2012 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 5/6/12 04:04 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Nobody's really done an in-depth woodwinds library so far. (I guess there's CineSamples' HollyWoodwinds, but I haven't really heard anything that uses it.)

HollyWoodwinds only features preset patterns/runs and some chord/octave patches, generally not great if you want to write all the wind stuff yourself. Which you should :) But for realistic runs there is nothing that sounds good except a pre-recorded complete run, and they tempo-sync to your project for different lengths.

Cinesamples is also working on CineWinds right now though, which will be more comprehensive than CineBrass and feature all the great sampling techniques they've developed.

If you want a kind of broad library that gives you a lot of content for your money, you can get East/West Symphonic Orchestra silver or gold.

Yup you can get great deals on these now since they are starting to phase out of high-end use. If you know anyone with a student card at a university or college try and buy it through them to get further discounts.

neyus99
neyus99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Orchestral VST May. 6th, 2012 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 5/6/12 04:43 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/6/12 03:33 PM, Step wrote: This.
second.

i use Edirol. it's pretty shitty but cheap, and with the right settings it can be... less shitty.

If anything I really like Edirol's percussion sounds. Everything else can sound cheap but honestly they do the job if you plan to make a simple sounding symphony.

East West does it real good though overall.

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Orchestral VST May. 7th, 2012 @ 12:34 AM Reply

For reference...

Song using the soundfonts.

Song using Edirol.

Song using Garritan.

Song using East/West.

I was careful not to link to any of my work because it'll be considered self-advertising but, without any advertising intended, I'll just say that you can also listen to one of my latest songs for another preview of East/West, or alternatively go to the actual site and hear their demos.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature