WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Watershake's Art Thread May. 6th, 2012 @ 11:36 AM Reply

Here are some of my recent artworks.

Comments and criticisms are more than welcome. I want to develop my style and progress these illustrations to a new level.

Watershake's Art Thread

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread May. 6th, 2012 @ 11:38 AM Reply

Here's another portrait.

Watershake's Art Thread

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread May. 6th, 2012 @ 11:39 AM Reply

At 5/6/12 11:38 AM, WaterShake wrote: Here's another portrait.

And just one more for now

Watershake's Art Thread

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread May. 6th, 2012 @ 11:54 AM Reply

i'd like to see a painting which you put more effort in.
i sort of like the style you are doing these in but, it looks like you just did them in 10 minutes, how about you do one in 10 hours?

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread May. 6th, 2012 @ 12:11 PM Reply

At 5/6/12 11:54 AM, Flowers10 wrote: i'd like to see a painting which you put more effort in.
i sort of like the style you are doing these in but, it looks like you just did them in 10 minutes, how about you do one in 10 hours?

That's a valid point. Most, if not all of these have been completed in roughly 30 minutes, which is much much faster than any artwork i've done before (e.g pencil drawings).

I think my paintings would benefit from an increased amount of attention paid to the foundational sketching, and better composition. I've also yet to really incorporate any sort of background etc.

BBS Signature
Soosh
Soosh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Watershake's Art Thread May. 6th, 2012 @ 09:40 PM Reply

There's a certain charm to them, and I love the style. I might agree that some more detail could be put in though. I used to do a lot of drawings like these, but the lack of time spent on them really seems to show in the final product.

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 06:04 PM Reply

Hey guys, working on a new pencil drawing and i'd like to get some feedback on it so far.

Once i've finished sketching it out, i'm planning on scanning it and digitally colourising the image (hence the lined paper).

Watershake's Art Thread

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 7/6/12 06:04 PM, WaterShake wrote: Hey guys, working on a new pencil drawing and i'd like to get some feedback on it so far.

Once i've finished sketching it out, i'm planning on scanning it and digitally colourising the image (hence the lined paper).

I have no idea how the image ended up on it's side. Sorry about that, makes looking at it slightly awkward.

BBS Signature
Ludic
Ludic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 7/6/12 06:06 PM, WaterShake wrote:
At 7/6/12 06:04 PM, WaterShake wrote: Hey guys, working on a new pencil drawing and i'd like to get some feedback on it so far.

I have no idea how the image ended up on it's side. Sorry about that, makes looking at it slightly awkward.

I'd suggest spending more time working out the sketch before starting the rendering process, using reference and getting your proportions straight etc. :)

Learn this stuff, http://htmlimg1.scribdassets.com/1aeo974y0ww59zm/images/68-5 3fc0f6252.jpg it's useful.

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Watershake's Art Thread Jul. 6th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

At 7/6/12 06:12 PM, Ludic wrote:
At 7/6/12 06:06 PM, WaterShake wrote:

I'd suggest spending more time working out the sketch before starting the rendering process, using reference and getting your proportions straight etc. :)

Learn this stuff, http://htmlimg1.scribdassets.com/1aeo974y0ww59zm/images/68-5 3fc0f6252.jpg it's useful.

Thanks for the link. Helpful to see a proportions guide from a side perspective instead of just dead-on-straight.

Although I should have made it clear that the proportions are deliberately out of whack (to an extent):

For instance, the forehead is massive because i'm planning on drawing a large headpiece and a blackhole/3rd eye in the foreheads centre.
Eyes are huge because I wanted to be able to add the detailing at a deliberate size.
Bone structure is just stylistically angular.

I have fucked up the ears, nose and lips though.
Planning on changing the size of the lips and revisiting the detailing around the nose (the connective tissue between the nostrils and lips looks much too muddy and unclear just now imo).
Ears are ridiculously tiny in retrospect. Hopefully I can find a way to balance them out.

I don't think i'm gonna be at the colouring stage anytime soon tbh. Lot of work still to be done.

BBS Signature