New Topic Respond to this Topic
TonalReboot
TonalReboot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 07:07:01 Reply

has anyone ever had a dream where you hear a song that was made up on the spot during the dream, i had one a min ago im trying to remember how it went lol.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 07:09:26 Reply

ocassionally yeah.. they're not that great

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 07:14:53 Reply

I get this all the time... And it drives me freaking insane that 99% of the time, I wake up and completely forget how the song went. And the other 1%, I'll remember how it goes, but it'll sound much worse in reality than it did in theory.

I tend to write better music when I'm dead tired or in some way "not all there". Which I guess is consistent with the songs I essentially come up with in my dreams being probably some of the best stuff I would ever write while awake.

If only you could record audio in your dreams... I would have so much better material to share.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Things and stuff - Music: Final Destination (Loop) - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 07:17:58 Reply

Never happened to me before. I wish it did though, then my dreams could actually stop being weird-ass combinations of real-life events and actually be useful for once.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
TonalReboot
TonalReboot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 07:18:45 Reply

I wake up and completely forget how the song went. And the other 1%, I'll remember how it goes, but it'll sound much worse in reality than it did in theory.

Yeah i definitely agree lol i heard a megaman sounding theme in my dream and i have no idea now that i'm awake

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 08:04:35 Reply

Happened to me once, but I can't remember how it went, let alone if it was good. I think it 's actually pretty cool when what happens, it proves how creative the subconscious mind can be.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 08:15:16 Reply

At 5/6/12 07:07 AM, raymanftw94 wrote: has anyone ever had a dream where you hear a song that was made up on the spot during the dream, i had one a min ago im trying to remember how it went lol.

I only experienced that once. I don't even know how to render it.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 11:49:50 Reply

At 5/6/12 07:17 AM, Step wrote: Never happened to me before. I wish it did though, then my dreams could actually stop being weird-ass combinations of real-life events and actually be useful for once.

I'm in the same boat as you dude.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 11:58:59 Reply

That happened to me once too. I remember seeing flashes of some black dude with dreadlocks on stage. There was some kind of hip-hop music I think. There was this awesome melody playing, and I could see the whole song playing in a tracker interface. It was scrolling too fast to keep up with and then I woke up, with the sound already starting to fade away.

It was still a cool dream, though. One of the more special ones I've had.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 12:06:06 Reply

I fell asleep on my midi keyboard once and made some interesting dark ambiance.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 12:56:30 Reply

I've never had a dream I remember where I've made a song but there have been a few in which I can sing.

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 13:15:06 Reply

At 5/6/12 11:49 AM, Braiton wrote:
At 5/6/12 07:17 AM, Step wrote: Never happened to me before. I wish it did though, then my dreams could actually stop being weird-ass combinations of real-life events and actually be useful for once.
I'm in the same boat as you dude.

Welcome aboard, then? I never have any musical dream and even if I have any then I wouldn't notice much.

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 16:13:14 Reply

sigh....I have these like once every TWO WEEKS.(Maybe it's because i sleep with headphones on..) Whenever it happens,i'm usually on a restaurant porch or inside a bar,and it's either always a girl in a red dress next to a piano,or a jazz combo. i can remember tidbits of the dream's song,but i can't remember much further...

Woe is me ;_;

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 16:23:00 Reply

At 5/6/12 04:13 PM, NimblekidX wrote: sigh....I have these like once every TWO WEEKS.(Maybe it's because i sleep with headphones on..)

Gah, I can't sleep with headphones because it forces me to lay on my back. Thank God for headsets, even though that's lower quality.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-06 23:35:26 Reply

At 5/6/12 07:07 AM, raymanftw94 wrote: has anyone ever had a dream where you hear a song that was made up on the spot during the dream, i had one a min ago im trying to remember how it went lol.

oooooooo I thought I was the only one; but there's others! I personally write about 40% of my songs from scratch in my dreams, but I go over and continue writing and arranging all of my songs in my dreams. :]

durn
durn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-07 00:18:25 Reply

This happens to me a lot. I never remember the notes but I always remember the feelings they evoked and try to use that to recapture the moments from my dreams.

NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-07 03:09:22 Reply

I tried this once... Ended up sounding something from 80's sex ed. video.

Never did it again.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Parodise
Parodise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-07 18:36:45 Reply

Not much of a musician, but yeah, Ive been there.

Go ahead... Click It

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-07 19:52:23 Reply

Sometimes I hear music in my dreams, most of the times is great.
Sometimes, like the others, the music fades away when I wake up and I try to write it but not always. Some of my best tracks (or what I think is my best) originated from my dreams.
My piano fantasy (not anymore on NG), my trumpet concerto (not on NG)...etc.

Latest track "composed" like this is "Spring Breeze". On New Year's Eve 2011 I had a dream that I play that song and in my dream I was analyzing the guitar chords. I was realizing that it's a dream and if I don't pay attention I will forget it when I wake up. Then, in my dream, I was rehearsing it and I was thinking "now I will wake up and write it".
I woke up, I realized that I'm way too sleepy and lazy to write the song, so I woke up my wife and ask her to record me on her phone.

retrobox2
retrobox2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-07 22:20:56 Reply

At 5/7/12 07:52 PM, sorohanro wrote: Latest track "composed" like this is "Spring Breeze". On New Year's Eve 2011 I had a dream that I play that song and in my dream I was analyzing the guitar chords. I was realizing that it's a dream and if I don't pay attention I will forget it when I wake up. Then, in my dream, I was rehearsing it and I was thinking "now I will wake up and write it".
I woke up, I realized that I'm way too sleepy and lazy to write the song, so I woke up my wife and ask her to record me on her phone.

That story sounded so good that I don't know how to say that in my dream the only thing that happens is me running in random places. I have some really weirds but never had a musical one but sounds cool.

megajaws420
megajaws420
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-07 22:30:01 Reply

i only dream about music when i have a show coming up. i have stage fright so i stress about the show for a week before until the day of. the dream is just me on stage behind my drum set, the music is playing but i'm the only one there, i dislike it very much...... but i have had dreams where i have had lyrics to a song that i end up using for something

Realmguys
Realmguys
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-08 01:12:30 Reply

This was 100% composed in a dream I had many years ago. I recorded it in the middle of the night right after the dream. It was an intense and strange recording session. I was very rushed and out of my element to get it played and recorded before I forgot the theme.

• Nightmare Rap
    Nightmare Rap by Realmguys

The nightmare I just experienced, had a soundtrack...(weird) here it is...

Score
    4.35 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Modern
    Popularity

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-08 01:17:50 Reply

music tends to manifest in my head when i shower

i think my productions are getting closer, i just need to fill in the gaps in my musical ability

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-08 06:53:29 Reply

At 5/7/12 10:20 PM, retrobox2 wrote: That story sounded so good that I don't know how to say that in my dream the only thing that happens is me running in random places.

Try to run in a music school or some rehearsing room of a band next time :))

At 5/8/12 01:17 AM, jarrydn wrote: music tends to manifest in my head when i shower

Get a waterproof computer !

Korriken
Korriken
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-08 17:46:55 Reply

I had this happen just the other day. I was standing before a band of people without faces, and they began to play a song, it was VERY loud and powerful... I remember a bit of how it goes, but since i'm musically illiterate (for now) I have no idea how it goes.

its driven me to learn music.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

ShinjiroAurion
ShinjiroAurion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Creating songs in dreams 2012-05-08 20:00:05 Reply

At 5/8/12 05:46 PM, Korriken wrote: I had this happen just the other day. I was standing before a band of people without faces, and they began to play a song, it was VERY loud and powerful... I remember a bit of how it goes, but since i'm musically illiterate (for now) I have no idea how it goes.

its driven me to learn music.

That sounds...strangely inspiring. I wish that I could have such an event happen to me. My dreams are mostly prophetic about events that happen several days later. A foretelling if you will.

Memento Mori.