UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Helping Out A Game Developer May. 5th, 2012 @ 03:30 PM Reply

Hello Newgrounders,
Its been a long time. Most of you probably have no clue who I am but I use to quite frequently talk on the forums several years back. I actually got my start at flash here ( a long time ago) and I owe a lot to this site. I was even here as a young man before the portal was even around. For the past 12 years I have been working in flash games and been attempting to become better and better with hopes of moving into the professional gaming industry in the now not so far future.
With a long absence over the past few years and minimal game releases do to a lot of life issues I am back doing what I love (making games) and have a load of games that will be released all year. I have hooked up with an amazing coder (which are very hard to come by) and really think that together and with all of your help we could be successful and make some awesome games in the process. Our current goals are to develop several free flash games that will be released on newgrounds and then we would really like to develop a game for steam. I know it sounds ambitious but I think we have the talent and just need all of your support.
So far this year we have put together 2 games and several others are in development. The 2 that are currently released are nothing particularly original but was something we wanted to do to get into a good work flow and display the type of quality we are capable of.
They can be seen here.

• Dungeon Breaker
    Dungeon Breaker by UknownXL

A mysterious adventurer is trapped inside of a dungeon.

Score
    3.61 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Archers Oath
    Archers Oath by UknownXL

When an innocent cries for help only one man will come to answer there call.

Score
    3.56 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

If you want to touch on what we have been working on check out our site, twitter or facebook. I like to update them regularly.
http://www.iconic-games.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Iconic_Games
http://www.facebook.com/IconicGames
Let me apologize for the slew of links and get right to the point. The thing is we really would appreciate all of your support. You have no idea what it does for us when people are rooting us on and asking about our projects.
So I would like to ask what do you guys want in a game? What type of game do you want us to make or anyone to make for that matter? I genuinely would love to hear all of your suggestions and put together a great game.
Sorry I began to ramble a bit. If anyone has any questions or anything they would like to say feel free to do so.

Also Dungeon Breaker just got a daily second. So thanks to all the people who voted.

UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 5th, 2012 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 5/5/12 03:34 PM, daethdrain wrote: I want a beat em up game that is insanely difficult.
Also nice advertising.

I was actually thinking about a beat em up earlier today and was talking with my coder about it. I use to be a big fan of DBZ when I was little and actually wanted to make something as insane and action filled as the cartoon, but in a game form. Always thought it would be cool to be able to punch some guy and watch him fly threw 3 or 4 buildings. So something like that or a more traditional brawler?

UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 5th, 2012 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 5/5/12 03:55 PM, daethdrain wrote: A simple brawler. Take me back to the days when you would roam eight bit NYC and fight legions of thugs. You know you have created the perfect game when every one complains that it's too hard or that the controls suck.

Ill have to see what I can do. Hahaha

UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 5th, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 5/5/12 05:18 PM, Protagonist wrote: Make a game about me.

The protagonist. I like it!

Gramiscus
Gramiscus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 5th, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

have a brief tutorial system that is not required
eg, like a sensei in a plain training room, saying tips/controls if you click him, but an exit door right into the thick of the game first out.

Many flash games have so much slow build up that it lowers their replayability. The best games are awesome immediately in the thick of the action. ie- Miami Shark

I don't want to dedicate a long time to a flash game, they are a clever diversion for me. Don't force me to go through an intro I don't want to see if I just want blood.

I go to school to study how high frequency sound waves can heal, ...or KILL.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 5th, 2012 @ 10:30 PM Reply

Whatever happened to that 3d game that you said you were making, ah, Genesis (name pending)? I was looking forward to it and I didn't see its kickstarter resume once you paused it.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

BBS Signature
AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 5th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM Reply

At 5/5/12 03:34 PM, daethdrain wrote: I want a beat em up game that is insanely difficult.

I beat you to it already:

• Pico Brawler 2012
    Pico Brawler 2012 by AcetheSuperVillain

Pico beats shit up

Score
    3.10 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Micro Super Defense Force
    Micro Super Defense Force by AcetheSuperVillain

Defend the Earth again with itty bitty pixel people

Score
    3.54 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Flash Brawlers seem to be really hard for Westerners to make correctly. There are zillions of them on Chinese portals like 4399 or taotaoyx, but Newgrounds and the like have a lot of shit. I think the problem is that they overcomplicate the framework and then slosh around with the game specifics. (Mine are just lazy)

ASV Headquarters

BBS Signature
UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 6th, 2012 @ 12:06 AM Reply

At 5/5/12 09:49 PM, Gramiscus wrote: have a brief tutorial system that is not required
eg, like a sensei in a plain training room, saying tips/controls if you click him, but an exit door right into the thick of the game first out.

The best designed games don't have tutorials. I have learned that by looking back to games made back in the day. They use subtle hints and ways to help the player learn by themselves as they go. A good example is this video by ego raptor. You other devs should check it out as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

@Gimmick: Lol. I am surprised somebody remembers about it. Flad you looked forward to it but sorry it never materialized. Its something i still very badly want to do but sadly I couldnt get the backers for the project. No one was interested in helping a nobody with a semi good animated trailer. I plan to do it still but I think its something I want to do in full 3D. The best direction is probably to develop it for a downloadable format and maybe xbox/ps3. (that has alot of potential problems as well) I have some ideas to develop it in Unity, but its something down the road.

@AceTheSuperVillain: I believe this game beat us both to it. (in image below) But a little friendly competition never hurt anyone.
Also I am not sure I would agree its hard for westerners. I simply don't see a lot of brawlers by them.

Helping Out A Game Developer

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 6th, 2012 @ 12:26 AM Reply

i love action/adventure, RPG, and platforming types of games, or combinations of the 3, like a action/adventure themed platformer with RPG elements within it. Top down scrolling shooters are good too as long as they are done right.
Make something along those lines

UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 6th, 2012 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 5/6/12 12:26 AM, Lionelion wrote: i love action/adventure, RPG, and platforming types of games, or combinations of the 3, like a action/adventure themed platformer with RPG elements within it. Top down scrolling shooters are good too as long as they are done right.
Make something along those lines

Adventure RPG's are my favorite to do and I actually have several in development. One in particular is fairly large and ambitious.

I'm not sure what to classify the game we are currently working on as.

Personally I would consider it an art game with lots of adventure/puzzle elements. Ill post an image below. This will be a very unique title and it will really set the tone for all our future games.

Some cool things that we have put in are some time travel mechanics and the ability to manipulate/control multiple objects/machinery within the game.

Helping Out A Game Developer

AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 6th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM Reply

Also I am not sure I would agree its hard for westerners. I simply don't see a lot of brawlers by them.

I don't mean to say it's a genetic thing, just that the Chinese guys have gotten more experience in the field. Probably when western people dream of game development they think to themselves "I'm gonna make MegaMan!" but the Chinese guys are all like "I'm gonna make King of Fighters!" (Then turn to each other and ask, "MegaWho?" "King of Whatnow?")

And River City's not in Flash, so it doesn't count. The race is on, bro.

ASV Headquarters

BBS Signature
WhaleSnail
WhaleSnail
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Game Developer
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 6th, 2012 @ 08:38 AM Reply

Platformer/shooter. Like Megaman. I'm fucking sick of brawlers.

UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 6th, 2012 @ 10:30 AM Reply

At 5/6/12 07:07 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: I don't mean to say it's a genetic thing, just that the Chinese guys have gotten more experience in the field. Probably when western people dream of game development they think to themselves "I'm gonna make MegaMan!" but the Chinese guys are all like "I'm gonna make King of Fighters!" (Then turn to each other and ask, "MegaWho?" "King of Whatnow?")

I think its more to do with the culture differences and the simple fact their are not many (if any) brawlers made by westerners. And for the record when I started to make games I said "I want to make Zelda/Metal Gear". I personally am not really to much of a MegaMan fan. I tried but really couldnt get into it.

And River City's not in Flash, so it doesn't count. The race is on, bro.

There were still beat em ups made before you made yours as well :D (in flash).

If I were to make a beat em up it wouldnt be anything like what most people are use to.

UknownXL
UknownXL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Helping Out A Game Developer May. 6th, 2012 @ 01:31 PM Reply

I would love some feedback on the game image I posted above.