New Topic Respond to this Topic
34Down
34Down
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Question About Copyrights 2012-05-04 08:16:10 Reply

Quick question. If you're doing a parody of a show, is it ok to use music from the show in an animation? I'm not talking about the theme songs or anything like that, just like the little music clips that some shows use when transitioning from one scene to another or like the short clips that some shows have when coming back from a commercial?

34Down
34Down
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Question About Copyrights 2012-05-04 15:36:12 Reply

At 5/4/12 11:09 AM, Travis wrote:
At 5/4/12 08:16 AM, 34Down wrote: Quick question. If you're doing a parody of a show, is it ok to use music from the show in an animation? I'm not talking about the theme songs or anything like that, just like the little music clips that some shows use when transitioning from one scene to another or like the short clips that some shows have when coming back from a commercial?
People still use copyrighted music all of the time.

Although Tom would prefer you use music from the AP, not everyone does.

I would reccomend you see if anyone did a cover of the said songs in the Audio Portal first and if not, you could even make a request in the Audio forum.

Hey man. Thanks for the response. I'm not sure you understood what I was talking about though, probably because I explained it horribly. I'm not talking about any songs at all. What I'm talking about are those little 2-3 second lead ins to a new scene or when coming back from a commercial. Something like that. Like on Seinfeld. Where they'd play 2-3 seconds of the music below leading into or out of a scene.

Seinfeld theme

So, for example, if I was doing a Seinfeld parody, would it be ok for me to use 2-3 seconds from that music when transitioning from one scene to another.

34Down
34Down
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Question About Copyrights 2012-05-04 17:39:30 Reply

At 5/4/12 04:54 PM, Travis wrote:
At 5/4/12 03:36 PM, 34Down wrote: So, for example, if I was doing a Seinfeld parody, would it be ok for me to use 2-3 seconds from that music when transitioning from one scene to another.
My explanation above wouldn't change. You can use it, but it may be in your interest to use the AP.

Here's 2 songs that you could clip stuff out of unless you are really set on using Seinfeld.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/481464
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/186777

Ok, I think I gotcha now. I feel kinda bad you took the time to look those up for me. I was just using Seinfeld as a reference. I'm not actually working on a Seinfeld Parody. Thanks for the help man.