Be a Supporter!

Music Collab Discussion Thread

  • 22,711 Views
  • 423 Replies
New Topic
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 7th, 2012 @ 04:22 PM

At 6/7/12 04:14 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 6/7/12 04:01 PM, zelazon wrote: Ohm is not going to be a very prominent DAW for most artist here.
Guess we're all sticking to FL Studio, and sharing through NG's Projects System (or file-sharing sites) then.

Am I the only one on Newgrounds who really didn't like FL? I liked one or two features on it, but that was about it..

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 01:59 AM

At 6/7/12 04:22 PM, Trampzy wrote:
At 6/7/12 04:14 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 6/7/12 04:01 PM, zelazon wrote: Ohm is not going to be a very prominent DAW for most artist here.
Guess we're all sticking to FL Studio, and sharing through NG's Projects System (or file-sharing sites) then.
Am I the only one on Newgrounds who really didn't like FL? I liked one or two features on it, but that was about it..

There's many artist that use DAWs other then FL studio... it just happens to be the most popular here.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM

At 6/8/12 01:59 AM, zelazon wrote: There's many artist that use DAWs other then FL studio... it just happens to be the most popular here.

'Cause it's easy. Though I've lurked the forums, and found out that it has a bit of a bad rep cause there's a lot of shit producers (like me <insert sadface here>) who make shit music.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

At 6/8/12 02:37 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 6/8/12 01:59 AM, zelazon wrote: There's many artist that use DAWs other then FL studio... it just happens to be the most popular here.
'Cause it's easy. Though I've lurked the forums, and found out that it has a bit of a bad rep cause there's a lot of shit producers (like me <insert sadface here>) who make shit music.

Yeah I knew there were based on past threads... I just give FL shit all the time, even though only like a 1/3 of the issues is the programs fault :P

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

FL Studio is easy to use, popular, and relatively good, which results in a lot of people using it. Apply Sturgeons Law, and you end up with a ton of newbs using the program and making "music".

The dificulty with FL Studio is overcoming that stigma.

On a different subject, should we perhaps make a chat or something to ease communication?


BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

At the last few days, Everyone wrote: FL Studio

I use Reason...

At 6/8/12 12:42 PM, CidiousClef wrote: On a different subject, should we perhaps make a chat or something to ease communication?

Considering how few people are online in this group at a given time, I would think that a chat would just make things harder.


Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 01:57 PM

I use trackers like Milky. And no, I haven't touch a DAW since tried out Ohm Studio last week.

However I don't mind because I can still play around and manage to get the jobs done with what I got so far.

I'm ready for the second collab. :-)

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 02:05 PM

FL Studio is easy to use, popular, and relatively good, which results in a lot of people using it. Apply Sturgeons Law, and you end up with a ton of newbs using the program and making "music".

The dificulty with FL Studio is overcoming that stigma.

People gotta start somewhere, ya know? The are a ton of people who make "music", but there are the few (like me) who just continued to make songs until people started liking it, and now there's rarely a time where I post something and people are like "why did you make this?". Now of course I'm far from popular, but I'm also far from bad as well.

On a different subject, should we perhaps make a chat or something to ease communication?
Considering how few people are online in this group at a given time, I would think that a chat would just make things harder.

If your talking about everyone involved, that would be nearly impossible, since people have things they need to do on a daily basis, and getting everyone to respond collectively on the same day would be impossible. However, if your working with your teammates on a certain song, and you want to chat about how the song should go, that's something I would recommend so everyone is on board with the idea. Not sure if it's going to go over smoothly with everyone, but I can only hope it does lol.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 02:08 PM

Very random suggestion: we discuss stuff through Skype.
How about it?

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 02:09 PM

At 6/8/12 02:08 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Very random suggestion: we discuss stuff through Skype.
How about it?

Oh wait, never mind. I just realized that you need to pay for group calls.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 02:33 PM

At 6/8/12 02:09 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 6/8/12 02:08 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Very random suggestion: we discuss stuff through Skype.
How about it?
Oh wait, never mind. I just realized that you need to pay for group calls.

Is that new? Just last year I had a 4 way call going and we had a temporary fifth come in. It was a 3 hour call too. I did this about 30 times or so. My only issue with skype is you can't look up info later, so if you remember something wrong or miss something there's no way to back track without asking someone, where NG we can just scroll up the page. Though I don't often forget stuff, I like having the option.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 02:53 PM

At 6/8/12 02:33 PM, Trampzy wrote: Is that new? Just last year I had a 4 way call going and we had a temporary fifth come in. It was a 3 hour call too. I did this about 30 times or so. My only issue with skype is you can't look up info later, so if you remember something wrong or miss something there's no way to back track without asking someone, where NG we can just scroll up the page. Though I don't often forget stuff, I like having the option.

Just checked on Skype's website. You have to pay for group VIDEO calls. My bad. Apparently you can share files during the conversation.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 04:41 PM

Considering that I'm really only on from 12:00pm to 3:30pm CST and 12:00am 3:30am, it would be rather difficult for me to get on Skype and discuss things. Life job money stuff way the in.


BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 05:39 PM

At 6/8/12 02:53 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Just checked on Skype's website. You have to pay for group VIDEO calls. My bad. Apparently you can share files during the conversation.

oh okay, that's what I thought. I just did voice, because we had lots of web pages and files opened so it's not like we'd even be watching each other. I personally don't even have a webcam. If I was to talk to anyone from NG through Skype I'd probably just do text only. But for the most part I think most of the discussion is gonna be on this thread or through PMs so we probably shouldn't even bother with Skype, unless a team wants to do that when on their part.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 02:35 AM

At 6/8/12 05:39 PM, Trampzy wrote:
At 6/8/12 02:53 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Just checked on Skype's website. You have to pay for group VIDEO calls. My bad. Apparently you can share files during the conversation.
oh okay, that's what I thought. I just did voice, because we had lots of web pages and files opened so it's not like we'd even be watching each other. I personally don't even have a webcam. If I was to talk to anyone from NG through Skype I'd probably just do text only. But for the most part I think most of the discussion is gonna be on this thread or through PMs so we probably shouldn't even bother with Skype, unless a team wants to do that when on their part.

This is basically what I've been suggesting lol.

But I really think that we should atleast be working with a certain scale so it sounds like a group project...

So how about G?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 03:17 AM

At 6/9/12 02:35 AM, zelazon wrote: This is basically what I've been suggesting lol.

But I really think that we should atleast be working with a certain scale so it sounds like a group project...

So how about G?

a bunch of us want to make it into one big song, like an art pass, so there would be room for modulation. Though we should pick a key to be the main key we all fall back on. I don't think we need to follow any exact scales, tho.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

At 6/9/12 03:17 AM, Trampzy wrote: But I really think that we should atleast be working with a certain scale so it sounds like a group project...

I vote D#, 'cause that's a sexy note.


BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

At 6/9/12 03:17 AM, Trampzy wrote:
At 6/9/12 02:35 AM, zelazon wrote: This is basically what I've been suggesting lol.

But I really think that we should atleast be working with a certain scale so it sounds like a group project...

So how about G?
a bunch of us want to make it into one big song, like an art pass, so there would be room for modulation. Though we should pick a key to be the main key we all fall back on. I don't think we need to follow any exact scales, tho.

It's either that or certain chord progressions... take your pick lol.

Trust me... it's a lot easier to mix things together if they follow the same directions (struggled with this when some people wanted to do their own time signature, so it's helps me (or chimera in this case) out if the songs have something in common.

So, we have a vote for G and D#... Any other suggestions?

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 02:55 PM

At 6/9/12 12:49 PM, zelazon wrote:
At 6/9/12 03:17 AM, Trampzy wrote:
At 6/9/12 02:35 AM, zelazon wrote: This is basically what I've been suggesting lol.

But I really think that we should atleast be working with a certain scale so it sounds like a group project...

So how about G?
a bunch of us want to make it into one big song, like an art pass, so there would be room for modulation. Though we should pick a key to be the main key we all fall back on. I don't think we need to follow any exact scales, tho.
It's either that or certain chord progressions... take your pick lol.

Trust me... it's a lot easier to mix things together if they follow the same directions (struggled with this when some people wanted to do their own time signature, so it's helps me (or chimera in this case) out if the songs have something in common.

So, we have a vote for G and D#... Any other suggestions?

I vote for G#.

Also, maybe as something cool, we could try and pick a theme and base the chord progressions on that - like we're trying to tell a story or something. It'd be like "ok, this group makes the intro and sets the mood, then the next group makes the progression and changes the mood to something else, then the next group..." etc etc. Like from happy to uncertain to sad then epiphany to triumph. Something like that

It would take some pre-planning as to what the general chord progression should be, but idk; am I making any sense?


Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 03:07 PM

At 6/9/12 02:55 PM, Tydusis wrote: I vote for G#.

Also, maybe as something cool, we could try and pick a theme and base the chord progressions on that - like we're trying to tell a story or something. It'd be like "ok, this group makes the intro and sets the mood, then the next group makes the progression and changes the mood to something else, then the next group..." etc etc. Like from happy to uncertain to sad then epiphany to triumph. Something like that

It would take some pre-planning as to what the general chord progression should be, but idk; am I making any sense?

You have just got a backer. :-) Me after G#!

I think the previous collab lacks of theme. It would be much nicer if we have one or more themes. Let people pick their own chord progressions. Good ideas, Tydusis.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 05:44 AM

At 6/9/12 03:07 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: I think the previous collab lacks of theme. It would be much nicer if we have one or more themes. Let people pick their own chord progressions. Good ideas, Tydusis.

I agree, themes would be very cool. Letting each particular section set the mood. I already have plans for how to work it out. (:


BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

At 6/9/12 12:15 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 6/9/12 03:17 AM, Trampzy wrote: But I really think that we should atleast be working with a certain scale so it sounds like a group project...
I vote D#, 'cause that's a sexy note.

... Chimera I didn't say that

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

At 6/10/12 12:21 PM, Trampzy wrote:
At 6/9/12 12:15 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 6/9/12 03:17 AM, Trampzy wrote: But I really think that we should atleast be working with a certain scale so it sounds like a group project...
I vote D#, 'cause that's a sexy note.
... Chimera I didn't say that

Lol, I said that, but he must have misquoted (probably though it was you who said that.

So, we have a vote for:

D#: 1
G#: 2
G: 1

Any other Votes/suggestions?

houzatosis
houzatosis
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 01:11 PM

At 6/10/12 12:58 PM, zelazon wrote: Any other Votes/suggestions?

Maybe all tracks should have at least one mandatory instrument, like cowbell ;)

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 06:34 PM

At 6/10/12 01:11 PM, houzatosis wrote:
At 6/10/12 12:58 PM, zelazon wrote: Any other Votes/suggestions?
Maybe all tracks should have at least one mandatory instrument, like cowbell ;)

No... Just no...

JJM121
JJM121
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 06:53 PM

Maybe one section should at least have the main instrument of the previous section, which goes to the background and a new one takes over as the main one. Similarly for every other part.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 07:26 PM

At 6/10/12 06:53 PM, JJM121 wrote: Maybe one section should at least have the main instrument of the previous section, which goes to the background and a new one takes over as the main one. Similarly for every other part.

So we sort of "compose into each other" with each section? I like this idea. It would definitely take some planning to pull this off, as we'd have to know what section follows our own.


Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
houzatosis
houzatosis
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 07:52 PM

At 6/10/12 06:34 PM, zelazon wrote:

No... Just no...

OH YES!!

  • La Vache Que Rit
    La Vache Que Rit by houzatosis

    cwobell

    Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Ambient
    Popularity
    1 Views

Music Collab Discussion Thread

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 11th, 2012 @ 03:26 PM

Instead of 'mandatory instrument', why not have the composers to have their own movement/section and do whatever they want based on certain theme/semi-restriction?

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread Jun. 11th, 2012 @ 03:36 PM

At 6/11/12 03:26 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: Instead of 'mandatory instrument', why not have the composers to have their own movement/section and do whatever they want based on certain theme/semi-restriction?

Yea, this sounds pretty good...

And with that... it's monday, so time to begin the sign-ups!