Be a Supporter!

Music Collab Discussion Thread

  • 23,440 Views
  • 423 Replies
New Topic
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-03 17:50:12

At 6/3/12 10:51 AM, JJM121 wrote:
At 6/2/12 06:28 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: After taking a listen, there are a couple of you who I think would be fun to do some closer work with, just based on the kind of submission you made. Namely Kassich, JJM121, and possibly samulis or Adam-Beilgard. Perhaps you four would agree.
Why thank you. I would love to work with you all. ^^

Which brings up the idea for the next collab!

Okay, so I've read some ideas off of here that a collab with people working with a couple of artist together to make up a part of a song (ex. 2 people working on a part for a minute, then another group of people would come in with their part for the next minute).

Before I set any standards or rules, do you guys have any suggestion that the "Team Collab" should abide by?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-03 22:17:23

At 6/3/12 05:50 PM, zelazon wrote: Which brings up the idea for the next collab!

Okay, so I've read some ideas off of here that a collab with people working with a couple of artist together to make up a part of a song (ex. 2 people working on a part for a minute, then another group of people would come in with their part for the next minute).

Before I set any standards or rules, do you guys have any suggestion that the "Team Collab" should abide by?

If anything, it'd be awesome if the parts were meant to flow together. There should definitely be variety in it, just act as if everyone was making one big song together, but only two people can work together at a time. Or imagine a movie, that a lot of different shit happens in the course of like 10 minutes, so you don't know if you're happy, sad, or just absolutely frightened.

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-03 23:35:51

At 6/3/12 10:17 PM, Trampzy wrote:
At 6/3/12 05:50 PM, zelazon wrote: Which brings up the idea for the next collab!

Okay, so I've read some ideas off of here that a collab with people working with a couple of artist together to make up a part of a song (ex. 2 people working on a part for a minute, then another group of people would come in with their part for the next minute).

Before I set any standards or rules, do you guys have any suggestion that the "Team Collab" should abide by?
If anything, it'd be awesome if the parts were meant to flow together. There should definitely be variety in it, just act as if everyone was making one big song together, but only two people can work together at a time. Or imagine a movie, that a lot of different shit happens in the course of like 10 minutes, so you don't know if you're happy, sad, or just absolutely frightened.

I like this idea. We make one big song with tons of different parts that sorta flow together nicely.

If I might add to the idea, I'd say we could make it kind of like telling a story; let every pair work on some part of it(Beginning, middle, end, -ish, but with more parts than that) and then put it all together. Maybe have a recurring melody in some parts, or tempo and key changes where appropriate. It would put a somewhat of a limit on what people could do creatively, and it would take plenty of organization to get it right, but It would make things quite interesting, I'd say.

I guess I'm rambling a little here.


BBS Signature
JJM121
JJM121
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-03 23:59:46

I liked that idea that someone else said about how one person makes a specific part and the next user has to make a part that complements the previous part (need not be the same genre) and so on. Though I guess it would limit creativity a lot.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-04 00:25:51

For the collab with individuals making a full song with say... 15 or 30 seconds parts... I'd like to mix it all together if that's cool.

Anywhere the transitions aren't so smooth I can fix them.


BBS Signature
ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-04 00:32:01

Or, we could have a friendly competition.

We could have seven individuals produce one song, seven produce another, and so on for as many as are interested and have unbiased outsiders judge based on flow, creativity, and whatever comes to mind. The seven parts would be as follows, and would be chosen by whomever would like to do whichever section. Intro, buildup, theme, breakdown, buildup, theme, outro. Or, instead of making it a competition. We could have two people collaborate on each section.

There are a bunch of different things we could do, it's just a matter of finding out which is more interesting to the general populace.


BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-04 03:39:59

At 6/4/12 12:32 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote: Or, we could have a friendly competition.

We could have seven individuals produce one song, seven produce another, and so on for as many as are interested and have unbiased outsiders judge based on flow, creativity, and whatever comes to mind. The seven parts would be as follows, and would be chosen by whomever would like to do whichever section. Intro, buildup, theme, breakdown, buildup, theme, outro. Or, instead of making it a competition. We could have two people collaborate on each section.

There are a bunch of different things we could do, it's just a matter of finding out which is more interesting to the general populace.

We might save the competition for next time for "Ranked Collabs", unless people are interested in doing something like that now o.O?

But as far as the grouping... should we limit it to only two per section or more? With this, if it's gonna be just two people working together, we'll probably limited the parts to 30 seconds depending on how many people join. However, should it be more then 2, then maybe extend it to a minute time limit? Because I think having more then just 2 people requires more then just 30 seconds.

Also, with each of the parts, maybe we can have each group of people have a "masterer" within the group, so it would make my life much each as they can finish their parts, submit to them and once it's mastered, then submit it back to me so I can collectivize it.

These are only ideas so far, so let me know what you think

samulis
samulis
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-04 22:23:15

At 6/3/12 11:59 PM, JJM121 wrote: I liked that idea that someone else said about how one person makes a specific part and the next user has to make a part that complements the previous part (need not be the same genre) and so on. Though I guess it would limit creativity a lot.

Not so... that's how I did my only two successful collabs with Computer112... I wrote a minute and a half, sent him the MIDI, he wrote the rest, sent the MIDI back, I mixed/mastered, went "omg", and put it on NG; he's a very contemporary composer and I'm quite a traditionalist, and it worked out beautifully. Certainly this could be repeated on a larger scale.


My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-06 23:33:18

Okay, so I'm going to start the sign-ups for the "Team Collab" on monday morning, so any more suggestions you might have for it should be posted here in the meantime. I'll also send invites (to post in the thread as well as a part of the next collab project file) so that should let people know I'm far from dead lol

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 02:32:54

I think that when individuals sign up, they should also list their DAW. Just so it makes it easier to figure out who could be paired with who. Obviously there are going to be a ton of FL Studio users, so no worries there. But for the people that use Ableton, Logic, Renoise, Reason, and others we'll have to make sure that there is a somewhat universal method for those users to share their contributions.

I understand that I've probably made that appear to be way more difficult than it really is. But I've never used anything other than FL Studio so this would be a unique learning experience trying to collab with someone using another DAW.

I suppose this is also my way of saying "Count me in for round two, yo."


BBS Signature
ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 02:34:13

Damn it... One more thing: If we're going to make one big mix out of the contributions, I volunteer to mix it all together! That sounds like so much fun!


BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 02:36:43

I'm also up for round 2.\
No, I don't have any ideas to contribute for the base of the next collab. :/

JJM121
JJM121
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 07:59:48

At 6/6/12 11:33 PM, zelazon wrote: Okay, so I'm going to start the sign-ups for the "Team Collab" on monday morning, so any more suggestions you might have for it should be posted here in the meantime.

Sign up with a team or will that be decided later?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 09:19:26

As a possible suggestion... I haven't used it for more than like 15 minutes, but Ohm Studio would make interaction and sharing files/working on music extremely easy. It'd be a very good option for arranging the track but you should definitely master your track outside of ohm. Than you can also work on the track at the same time as your team members, or you could do it whenever. If anyone else has used it more and knows what it's like better, please do tell. Thought I should put it out there though.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 10:55:03

At 6/7/12 09:19 AM, Trampzy wrote: As a possible suggestion... I haven't used it for more than like 15 minutes, but Ohm Studio would make interaction and sharing files/working on music extremely easy. It'd be a very good option for arranging the track but you should definitely master your track outside of ohm. Than you can also work on the track at the same time as your team members, or you could do it whenever. If anyone else has used it more and knows what it's like better, please do tell. Thought I should put it out there though.

That sounds very useful. I'm gonna go download it, and lets hope I don't find it too much of a hassle to use.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 12:46:53

I think that when individuals sign up, they should also list their DAW. Just so it makes it easier to figure out who could be paired with who. Obviously there are going to be a ton of FL Studio users, so no worries there. But for the people that use Ableton, Logic, Renoise, Reason, and others we'll have to make sure that there is a somewhat universal method for those users to share their contributions.

I understand that I've probably made that appear to be way more difficult than it really is. But I've never used anything other than FL Studio so this would be a unique learning experience trying to collab with someone using another DAW.

I suppose this is also my way of saying "Count me in for round two, yo."

The easiest way I figured around getting around this problems (not sure if other programs have it, but fl sudio does), is that with the wave files, you can split the tracks apart so if you have an idea, you can just give someone else the parts that you have in it's constructed form rather then having to have the same program all together.

Damn it... One more thing: If we're going to make one big mix out of the contributions, I volunteer to mix it all together! That sounds like so much fun!

Be my guest... I wanted to do something where people would take turns to do the mixing/mastering (4 or 5 for this collab), but if you want to do this, it's up to you. However, note that something like this is particularly difficult to do since you'll be working broadly on many different genres, and trying to master them to sound the same level/frequencies can be a bit of a challenge... So I'm glad your up to the task haha.

I'm also up for round 2.\

No, I don't have any ideas to contribute for the base of the next collab. :/

That's fine... it's kinda hard coming up with new ideas from scratch anyway hahaha

Sign up with a team or will that be decided later?

I'm not entirely sure yet because in one instance, I want people to join, but at the same time, I think it would be a barrier to a lot of people who aren't comfortable/used to working in a collab with someone else. Also, if you sign up with a partner, and they drop out, that kinda leaves you screwed doesn't it? So I'm going to have the sign-ups as solo, then you can decide who your partnering with (Both NG/Non-NG partners are allowed, but only the one signing up has to be a NG artist).

As a possible suggestion... I haven't used it for more than like 15 minutes, but Ohm Studio would make interaction and sharing files/working on music extremely easy. It'd be a very good option for arranging the track but you should definitely master your track outside of ohm. Than you can also work on the track at the same time as your team members, or you could do it whenever. If anyone else has used it more and knows what it's like better, please do tell. Thought I should put it out there though.

Welp, Chimera wants to work with the mixing, so let them know if they would like to use a program like that... otherwise, if I'm dealing with the Mastering, I'll probably stick with FL Studio for the matter.

So, it seems like I'll be starting the project file today, but as I clarified before, sign-ups won't happen until monday, so that'll give any previous member of the collab a headstart in getting into the Team collab first.

Now, we need to decide the BPM/Scale that we'll be dealing with. I was thinking something a bit fast-paced for this one (something on or above 160), and maybe E/G Scales (doesn't matter if flat/sharp lol), so let me know what you guys want, or if we should keep it slow (140 or below).

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 12:58:33

At 6/7/12 12:46 PM, zelazon wrote: Now, we need to decide the BPM/Scale that we'll be dealing with. I was thinking something a bit fast-paced for this one (something on or above 160), and maybe E/G Scales (doesn't matter if flat/sharp lol), so let me know what you guys want, or if we should keep it slow (140 or below).

For the BPM, maybe something like 175 (or 200, if you're willing to lol). I don't really mind what scale the song is in, but I prefer if it's natural (no flats or sharps).

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 13:03:00

For the BPM, maybe something like 175 (or 200, if you're willing to lol). I don't really mind what scale the song is in, but I prefer if it's natural (no flats or sharps).

I think 200 might be a bit much lol but we'll see if other agree to the 175 BPM range...

but also, I think we need someone to promote our work to various websites/this website because it's too hard to me to manage a collab, and try to get the word out at the same time (I'm only one person lol)...

Anyone up for promoting our work?

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 13:08:53

So, um....this is an OPEN collab right? As in, any genre is accepted? Or are we going to keep to one genre?

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 13:19:56

At 6/7/12 01:08 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: So, um....this is an OPEN collab right? As in, any genre is accepted? Or are we going to keep to one genre?

Much to the same extent as our last collab was... as long as you can work with your partner with the work, then anything should be fine.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 13:34:13

So is the one big song idea being ditched then...? This sounds more of just part 2 to what just got done. If we did the earlier idea then we wouldn't require a certain BPM/Scale, since we could just have tempo changes and modulation... that would take some minor coordination though. But if we did it like an comic pass, where one team does one part than sends it to the next team and so on then it wouldn't be a problem.

I suggested ohm studio mainly because it's free and it has like a "multiplayer" kind of thing going on. It has a chatroom at the bottom of the window and what not so you can work at live time with your teammates. I think it's definitely something to consider. Yoshiii343 said he was taking at a look at it I believe.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 13:49:13

At 6/7/12 01:34 PM, Trampzy wrote: I suggested ohm studio mainly because it's free and it has like a "multiplayer" kind of thing going on. It has a chatroom at the bottom of the window and what not so you can work at live time with your teammates. I think it's definitely something to consider. Yoshiii343 said he was taking at a look at it I believe.

And still am. It's kinda like NG's project system (create a project, invite members) but with live chat.
Still trying to figure out how to make a MIDI pattern since I don't have a keyboard lol

zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 14:19:17

At 6/7/12 01:49 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 6/7/12 01:34 PM, Trampzy wrote: I suggested ohm studio mainly because it's free and it has like a "multiplayer" kind of thing going on. It has a chatroom at the bottom of the window and what not so you can work at live time with your teammates. I think it's definitely something to consider. Yoshiii343 said he was taking at a look at it I believe.
And still am. It's kinda like NG's project system (create a project, invite members) but with live chat.
Still trying to figure out how to make a MIDI pattern since I don't have a keyboard lol

Same... it looks nice, but unless there's a "piano roll" I can work with, it's pretty much useless to me :/

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 14:44:36

At 6/7/12 12:46 PM, zelazon wrote: The easiest way I figured around getting around this problems (not sure if other programs have it, but fl sudio does), is that with the wave files, you can split the tracks apart so if you have an idea, you can just give someone else the parts that you have in it's constructed form rather then having to have the same program all together.

You could also do this with the MIDI files, so that parts could be edited. Although, at the end of the project you'd still want the .WAV files from each person.

Ideally you'd be working in the same DAW, as Chimera was suggesting.

Oh, also - I'm in for round 2 as well.


Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 14:59:42

At 6/7/12 02:44 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote:
At 6/7/12 12:46 PM, zelazon wrote: The easiest way I figured around getting around this problems (not sure if other programs have it, but fl sudio does), is that with the wave files, you can split the tracks apart so if you have an idea, you can just give someone else the parts that you have in it's constructed form rather then having to have the same program all together.
You could also do this with the MIDI files, so that parts could be edited. Although, at the end of the project you'd still want the .WAV files from each person.

Ideally you'd be working in the same DAW, as Chimera was suggesting.

Oh, also - I'm in for round 2 as well.

I work in tracker, so I could make each instrument its own wave file or MIDI track, though that might be overkill.
I think I might also want to be in round 2, but I don't know if I can make it.

vacation...

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 15:05:07

At 6/7/12 02:59 PM, Tydusis wrote: I think I might also want to be in round 2, but I don't know if I can make it.
vacation...

Well, we're not going to start anytime soon,

cause we're still on the drawboard

so, I don't think you'll miss that much. Right, lads?
Right?

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 15:50:29

At 6/7/12 01:34 PM, Trampzy wrote: I suggested ohm studio mainly because it's free and it has like a "multiplayer" kind of thing going on. It has a chatroom at the bottom of the window and what not so you can work at live time with your teammates. I think it's definitely something to consider. Yoshiii343 said he was taking at a look at it I believe.

Ohm Studio has two personal problems for me:

1.I'm not used to it. It's a lot like Ableton, which I'm not really used to using. Like, at all. but that's just me being dumb about it, because I'm used to FL Studio's interface.

2. It lags alot if you have a poor internet connection. (Like me.)

The upside is, it's really like sharing a screen with someone else. It actually makes changing stuff with someone else that much quicker. I haven't used it all that much though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, with a glass of water on the side.

I ought to mention how In I am in Collab 2.


BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 16:01:00

Ohm Studio has two personal problems for me:

1.I'm not used to it. It's a lot like Ableton, which I'm not really used to using. Like, at all. but that's just me being dumb about it, because I'm used to FL Studio's interface.

2. It lags alot if you have a poor internet connection. (Like me.)

The upside is, it's really like sharing a screen with someone else. It actually makes changing stuff with someone else that much quicker. I haven't used it all that much though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, with a glass of water on the side.

I ought to mention how In I am in Collab 2.

Not only that, but some of the methods I use in fl studio (side-chaining with the peak controller) seems really complicated in this program. It's not like it's easier in FL studio, but at least in there I have a clue as to what I'm doing. Here, I feel like i'm starting from scratch.

Also, I tried to import mp3s, but I don't think you can even do that yet (it's still in beta apparently), so unless you want to start a new thread exploring what, how, and whys... Ohm is not going to be a very prominent DAW for most artist here.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 16:14:35

At 6/7/12 04:01 PM, zelazon wrote:

:Ohm is not going to be a very prominent DAW for most artist here.

Guess we're all sticking to FL Studio, and sharing through NG's Projects System (or file-sharing sites) then.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-06-07 16:19:14

At 6/7/12 04:01 PM, zelazon wrote:
Ohm Studio has two personal problems for me:

1.I'm not used to it. It's a lot like Ableton, which I'm not really used to using. Like, at all. but that's just me being dumb about it, because I'm used to FL Studio's interface.

2. It lags alot if you have a poor internet connection. (Like me.)

The upside is, it's really like sharing a screen with someone else. It actually makes changing stuff with someone else that much quicker. I haven't used it all that much though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, with a glass of water on the side.

I ought to mention how In I am in Collab 2.
Not only that, but some of the methods I use in fl studio (side-chaining with the peak controller) seems really complicated in this program. It's not like it's easier in FL studio, but at least in there I have a clue as to what I'm doing. Here, I feel like i'm starting from scratch.

Also, I tried to import mp3s, but I don't think you can even do that yet (it's still in beta apparently), so unless you want to start a new thread exploring what, how, and whys... Ohm is not going to be a very prominent DAW for most artist here.

I really only downloaded it then clicked on everything and left for the most part. It was at least worth bringing up. I'm personally, sworn to Adobe Audition, anyways.

My issue with some of the suggestions mentioned about sharing the tracks, is that there's alot of talk about using MIDI files but I, at least at this time, am using almost entirely live instruments so that'd be implausible for me. Though sharing .wav files is easy, just syncing them together over and over again after each adjustment could get frustrating. Unless anyone has an easy method around that...