• 423 Replies
NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 16th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM

At 5/16/12 04:42 PM, Trampzy wrote: The 2nd string on my shamisen just broke! \(O_o)'/

You can fake it on synth. If you want to make one I can quickly program shamisen sound with synth tonight for you only.

WolfRock
WolfRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 16th, 2012 @ 06:18 PM

Hey, no need to worry, one string down, you still got the other two, right ?
Try to make a part with the remaining strings.
Let's call it shamisen punk !

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 16th, 2012 @ 06:27 PM

At 5/16/12 06:18 PM, WolfRock wrote: Hey, no need to worry, one string down, you still got the other two, right ?
Try to make a part with the remaining strings.
Let's call it shamisen punk !

That true.... By why does it have to be the one in the middle!? I'll try to give it another shot.

@NorskeDrittsekk - I wanna take you up on your offer, but I feel like it might kill me inside to fake a shamisen part, especially when I got one here. Is it authentic sounding?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 16th, 2012 @ 06:51 PM

I just retuned my shamisen, and I tuned the D strings down to a Bb. It sounds so cool! and now the part is soo easy to play!

WolfRock
WolfRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 16th, 2012 @ 07:02 PM

There's hope as long as one string remains.
The show must go on !

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 16th, 2012 @ 07:17 PM

At 5/16/12 07:02 PM, WolfRock wrote: There's hope as long as one string remains.
The show must go on !

Thankyou for your wisdom!
If only I had known sooner, I've been sitting around all day thinking there isn't anything to do, but now with this alt. tuning and only two strings I am now writing/recording the harmony and then I'll be almost done. Just got one or two quick things to do after this!

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 17th, 2012 @ 05:15 PM

Man I'm starting to be a hassle here. Right now, I got the shamisen part down, along with bass and guitar, and musically it makes enough sense what I'm doing but I'm having trouble mixing in the shamisen part. I already applied an EQ and a compressor, and have been toggling between the left and right speakers and adjusting the gain but I just can't get it to flow right. So the guitar and bass line fit together good and the shamisen and the bass do alright together but the shamisen and guitar just clash pretty hard, regardless of how I rewrite it (or so I think). [btw, one of the issues I think, is the bass is pretty smooth in this song but then the guitar and shamisen are both punchy] So anyone got any suggestions? If not, I have a friend stopping by tomorrow. I'll see what he thinks. If he doesn't have any ideas than I might just need to ditch the shamisen part :[

So I may or may not be done. I just don't know..!

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 01:12 AM

At 5/17/12 05:15 PM, Trampzy wrote: Man I'm starting to be a hassle here. Right now, I got the shamisen part down, along with bass and guitar, and musically it makes enough sense what I'm doing but I'm having trouble mixing in the shamisen part. I already applied an EQ and a compressor, and have been toggling between the left and right speakers and adjusting the gain but I just can't get it to flow right. So the guitar and bass line fit together good and the shamisen and the bass do alright together but the shamisen and guitar just clash pretty hard, regardless of how I rewrite it (or so I think). [btw, one of the issues I think, is the bass is pretty smooth in this song but then the guitar and shamisen are both punchy] So anyone got any suggestions? If not, I have a friend stopping by tomorrow. I'll see what he thinks. If he doesn't have any ideas than I might just need to ditch the shamisen part :[

So I may or may not be done. I just don't know..!

It sounds like you may have two different parts that are trying to clash with each other... the thing you can do is either have one of the two as a supplement (toning the frequencies down to the point where it is barely audible) so that even though people still can't explicitly hear it, it's still there and add to the song in some way... This was a problem I was dealing with my part of the collab, so that's just one way I've dealt with it so far.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 01:26 AM

Okay, almost all the parts have come in... and unfortunately J-rex and ShadowArian (sp?) have decided to exit the collab, so we're only left with two submission being needed for the collab to be complete by:

Camoshark
Trampzy

So now... how are we going to do advertising on this thing? I'd hate for a collab like this to go unnoticed by many, so what do you people think we should do to promote listeners to listen to the collab?

Adam-Beilgard
Adam-Beilgard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 01:33 AM

Kill a puppy on LiveStream every hour until Tom puts us on the front page.

...the four right chords can make me cry
Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature
houzatosis
houzatosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 01:41 AM

At 5/18/12 01:33 AM, Adam-Beilgard wrote: Kill a puppy on LiveStream every hour until Tom puts us on the front page.

I will supply said puppies.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 02:11 AM

At 5/18/12 01:26 AM, zelazon wrote: So now... how are we going to do advertising on this thing? I'd hate for a collab like this to go unnoticed by many, so what do you people think we should do to promote listeners to listen to the collab?

patrick-meme.jpg

Why don't we take the collab,

and PUSH IT SOMEWHERE ELSE?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

At 5/18/12 01:12 AM, zelazon wrote: It sounds like you may have two different parts that are trying to clash with each other... the thing you can do is either have one of the two as a supplement (toning the frequencies down to the point where it is barely audible) so that even though people still can't explicitly hear it, it's still there and add to the song in some way... This was a problem I was dealing with my part of the collab, so that's just one way I've dealt with it so far.

That's a pretty good idea. I think I'd need to suppress the shamisen part if any. The only trick with that would be, it being the shamisen, the volume spikes even after going through a compressor. I can easily fix in manually though.

At 5/18/12 01:26 AM, zelazon wrote: Okay, almost all the parts have come in... and unfortunately J-rex and ShadowArian (sp?) have decided to exit the collab, so we're only left with two submission being needed for the collab to be complete by:

Camoshark
Trampzy

So now... how are we going to do advertising on this thing? I'd hate for a collab like this to go unnoticed by many, so what do you people think we should do to promote listeners to listen to the collab?

Sorry! I'll upload it tonight! I'm just gonna play around in protools for the rest of the day and what not and also see what my friend thinks.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Why don't we take the collab,

and PUSH IT SOMEWHERE ELSE?

Where exactly would this/these "else" be?

Sorry! I'll upload it tonight! I'm just gonna play around in protools for the rest of the day and what not and also see what my friend thinks.

Don't be in a super rush lol... until I also get camoshark's part, I really can't do much about finishing the collab even with yours.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

At 5/18/12 10:40 AM, zelazon wrote:
Where exactly would this/these "else" be?

I don't know...maybe somewhere like YouTube? Or like Adam-Beilgard suggested, killing puppies (and kittens) on a livestream till we get front page coverage.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I don't know...maybe somewhere like YouTube? Or like Adam-Beilgard suggested, killing puppies (and kittens) on a livestream till we get front page coverage.

lol, I don't need 6-year-old girls sending me hate mail about how they're going to tell their mommy on me...

But I wouldn't mind posting on youtube, and having other collab members either post or link to the youtube account... I guess we'll just gather up ideas as we near the finish of the collab.

JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Really hope my part fits well and doesn't clash too much with the other parts.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 01:10 PM

At 5/18/12 11:40 AM, zelazon wrote: lol, I don't need 6-year-old girls sending me hate mail about how they're going to tell their mommy on me...

But I wouldn't mind posting on youtube, and having other collab members either post or link to the youtube account... I guess we'll just gather up ideas as we near the finish of the collab.

For contributers who doesn't have much subs on their YT account, how are we going to get the word out?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM

I think the youtube idea is pretty bad.. We'd get even less plays and if it's on youtube, someone will just steal it or something hassling like that. If it's on NG than atleast people would listen to it knowing it's from fellow members. I think the collab will do okay.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 04:01 PM

At 5/18/12 03:45 PM, Trampzy wrote: I think the youtube idea is pretty bad.. We'd get even less plays and if it's on youtube, someone will just steal it or something hassling like that. If it's on NG than atleast people would listen to it knowing it's from fellow members. I think the collab will do okay.

Point taken. Guess we'll just have to trust the word of mouth advertising. Or in this case, word of text.
...God, that was an awful joke.

Adam-Beilgard
Adam-Beilgard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 04:05 PM

At 5/18/12 03:45 PM, Trampzy wrote: I think the youtube idea is pretty bad.. We'd get even less plays and if it's on youtube, someone will just steal it or something hassling like that. If it's on NG than atleast people would listen to it knowing it's from fellow members. I think the collab will do okay.

'Cause people don't repost music from Newgrounds...

...the four right chords can make me cry
Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 04:36 PM

At 5/18/12 04:05 PM, Adam-Beilgard wrote: 'Cause people don't repost music from Newgrounds...

It's less likely on Newgrounds, but that was really just a side detail. Anyways wouldn't it make most sense to have it on Newgrounds?

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM

As far as advertising goes, I think I can link it to a couple of forums I frequent.

If that would be okay, of course.

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 18th, 2012 @ 08:23 PM

As far as advertising goes, I think I can link it to a couple of forums I frequent.

If that would be okay, of course.

As long as it abides by the rules, then there should be no problems with it :)

Point taken. Guess we'll just have to trust the word of mouth advertising. Or in this case, word of text.

...God, that was an awful joke.

Agreed. lol.

I'm probably just going to send out mass pms to people to take a look at the collab, but a lot of the people that I've pm are (I think) dead profiles on NG, so I definitely need to get some newer faces to take a look at some of the stuff as of late.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 19th, 2012 @ 01:11 AM

My Soundcloud has 350 followers?

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 19th, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

At 5/19/12 01:11 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote: My Soundcloud has 350 followers?

_ _

Show off.
So, spread it on SoundCloud, then?

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 19th, 2012 @ 03:46 PM

At 5/19/12 11:29 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: So, spread it on SoundCloud, then?

Well, that's what I was suggesting lol

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 19th, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

At 5/19/12 03:46 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 5/19/12 11:29 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: So, spread it on SoundCloud, then?
Well, that's what I was suggesting lol

So I guess u'll be the one hosting on soundcloud... But who will host on this site?

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 20th, 2012 @ 01:22 AM

It's a shame that my followers don't do a great job of actually listening to the stuff I post.

Music Collab Discussion Thread

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread May. 20th, 2012 @ 02:10 AM

At 5/20/12 01:22 AM, ObsidianSnow wrote:

It's a shame that my followers don't do a great job of actually listening to the stuff I post.

How do you guys get so many followers? I barely have like 7 lol