Be a Supporter!

Music Collab Discussion Thread

  • 23,569 Views
  • 423 Replies
New Topic
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-07 21:01:32

At 5/7/12 12:44 PM, JJM121 wrote: Anyone try to fit their name in the track as well?

Not yet, I haven't figured out how I want to do it, or even if I really want to...


Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 00:02:57

At 5/7/12 09:01 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote:
At 5/7/12 12:44 PM, JJM121 wrote: Anyone try to fit their name in the track as well?
Not yet, I haven't figured out how I want to do it, or even if I really want to...

I guess some people can opt-out of putting their name in the collab... but it'll be posted in the description area along with the link to the songs that people considered their best.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 01:02:13

At 5/7/12 12:44 PM, JJM121 wrote: Anyone try to fit their name in the track as well?

I did it.

I just whispered it.

I considered saying it, and then using fruity slicer and Pitcher to make it a melody before actually introducing it. But that would have taken me way too long.

Use that idea if you want, that'd be way cool

BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 10:13:40

Hey what sample rate is everyone going for? I'm doing mine at 44.1khz ; seemed like a safe bet. I can convert it up, if needed

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 11:46:15

So I think I've got something, though I'm not sure yet as to exactly what it is.
Some kind of slow jam trance dubstep, I think maybe?
I honestly have no idea what it is.

unknown genre is something of my signature and yes, slow jam at 140bpm

Also, is about 10 seconds of total transition time too much or about right? I thought we were allowed a little wiggle room for transitions. Volume builds up from silence and leads at the front and trails off at the end, making it 40 seconds total. Is that ok, or do I need to do some tweaking?


Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 12:06:24

Since I did chiptune and perhaps I am the only one does chiptune; the transitions were kind of hard to make and fit. I hope zelazon won't have hard time to fit my piece into this enormous collaborative work.

Basically I mixed some noises and fading parts for the so called transitions. Also at the ending I put a robotic vocal I generated with a self coded voice synth.

ShadowAurion
ShadowAurion
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 13:28:54

I know exactly what it is that I wanna do: I plan on making a short rock piece that should be easy to transition into and out of. The only problem is that this week is going to be rather busy. My nephew is currently visiting, some family is going to come down for the weekend, and it's Mother's Day this Sunday. I will get to making the song as soon as possible, but it may take some time; so, I apologize for that.

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 16:46:20

At 5/8/12 10:13 AM, Trampzy wrote: Hey what sample rate is everyone going for? I'm doing mine at 44.1khz ; seemed like a safe bet. I can convert it up, if needed

Newgrounds only accepts mp3's sampled at 44.1khz, so doing anything higher would be pretty pointless. We'd just have to bring it down again. However, a similar question that would apply is: did we want to specify a bitrate for the mp3's? I do mine at 256kb/s by default, but I'm sure some of you do it differently...

At 5/8/12 11:46 AM, Tydusis wrote: Also, is about 10 seconds of total transition time too much or about right? I thought we were allowed a little wiggle room for transitions. Volume builds up from silence and leads at the front and trails off at the end, making it 40 seconds total. Is that ok, or do I need to do some tweaking?

I don't think it has to be an issue - for example, mine is longer than 30 seconds, but the tail end of mine is just a sustained note fading away, so that the next entry can easily be layered on top of my ending. So in the end, my part would only take up 30 seconds of time to itself.

If you upload yours as it is now to the project's file share, it would probably be easier to figure it out, though.


Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 17:23:23

Also, is about 10 seconds of total transition time too much or about right? I thought we were allowed a little wiggle room for transitions. Volume builds up from silence and leads at the front and trails off at the end, making it 40 seconds total. Is that ok, or do I need to do some tweaking?

40 secs is fine as long as I can work it into transitioning from one song to another... As long as the content itself is 30 sec, it's fine.

Since I did chiptune and perhaps I am the only one does chiptune; the transitions were kind of hard to make and fit. I hope zelazon won't have hard time to fit my piece into this enormous collaborative work.

The transitions you gave me were fine, and I've been able to work them into the collab :)... I just got a few more people that need to work on their transitions a bit before, and need the other songs as well before I can say it's done.

did we want to specify a bitrate for the mp3's?

Honestly, I really haven't noticed a different uploading mp3, wavs, or the like... I usually do mines at 450, so maybe I can't tell the difference lol? And if the song isn't clear when I upload, I try to weaken/strengthen the frequencies of the song to make it fit better... it's been fine so far, but if not, I'll pm the people who I need to alter their work.

I will get to making the song as soon as possible, but it may take some time; so, I apologize for that.

Whenever you have it to me is fine...

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-08 18:26:48

Well, I accidentally my project save file, so I had to redo the melodies.
And dammit, why is it so hard to make the wobble bass parts?

JJM121
JJM121
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-09 11:15:39

Just submitted my entry today. And no, I didn't put my name in there.

:It would be way too out of place.

WolfRock
WolfRock
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-11 16:46:42

Done and online ! WOO

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-12 11:33:14

Ok, so I finally managed to not listen to my part for a few days, and I think I can say it sounds good enough now. Putting in the file share.

I still have no good idea what it is except that it is 140 bpm.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Member since: Oct. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-13 15:21:31

At 5/12/12 11:33 AM, Tydusis wrote: Ok, so I finally managed to not listen to my part for a few days, and I think I can say it sounds good enough now. Putting in the file share.
I still have no good idea what it is except that it is 140 bpm.

Alright, I'll take a look at it.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 12:34:41

At 5/11/12 04:46 PM, WolfRock wrote: Done and online ! WOO

I was loving your track btw

WolfRock
WolfRock
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 13:46:57

Thanks man, I just hope that it won't feel too out of place, given that most of the other tracks are electronica.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 13:50:21

At 5/15/12 01:46 PM, WolfRock wrote: Thanks man, I just hope that it won't feel too out of place, given that most of the other tracks are electronica.

I'm doing pirate rock, so there's atleast 2 of us doing rock

WolfRock
WolfRock
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 13:55:41

I think that I will always be surprised by genre names, I didn't even know that pirate rock existed before you mentioned it.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 13:59:13

At 5/15/12 01:55 PM, WolfRock wrote: I think that I will always be surprised by genre names, I didn't even know that pirate rock existed before you mentioned it.

hahaha It's amazing. You should look up Alestorm on youtube, they're pirate metal :P

My piece isn't as good as their stuff, but it's on the same boat... [haha shitty pirate puns]

ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Member since: Feb. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 18:35:54

Listening to the submissions so far, this project is pretty interesting. Not something you typically hear in the AP, that's for sure.

Starting to think about how we might be able to take this a step further in the future... for example, the same kind of collab, but where each audio slot has to be done in pairs instead of solo? Or perhaps a partially blind collab where you get the last few seconds of the last person's entry, and have to continue it in a way that makes some kind of sense for some period of time before passing it on? It would take some more organization, but moving this idea to another level like that could be hella fun.


Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 18:53:22

At 5/15/12 06:35 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: Listening to the submissions so far, this project is pretty interesting. Not something you typically hear in the AP, that's for sure.

Starting to think about how we might be able to take this a step further in the future... for example, the same kind of collab, but where each audio slot has to be done in pairs instead of solo? Or perhaps a partially blind collab where you get the last few seconds of the last person's entry, and have to continue it in a way that makes some kind of sense for some period of time before passing it on? It would take some more organization, but moving this idea to another level like that could be hella fun.

Dude, that sounds awesome! What if you combined both ideas..? Challenge mode.

I'd defiantly want to be apart of something like that.. as long as no one hates my work. :P

Adam-Beilgard
Adam-Beilgard
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 20:35:46

At 5/15/12 06:53 PM, Trampzy wrote:
I'd defiantly want to be apart of something like that.. as long as no one hates my work. :P

I'll do it, even if people hate my work

what am I saying, if?

...the four right chords can make me cry
Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 01:36:50

At 5/15/12 06:35 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: Or perhaps a partially blind collab where you get the last few seconds of the last person's entry, and have to continue it in a way that makes some kind of sense for some period of time before passing it on?

Oh? I don't quite understand how this works, would you mind explaining it a bit further?

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 02:45:39

At 5/16/12 01:36 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 5/15/12 06:35 PM, ObsidianSnow wrote: Or perhaps a partially blind collab where you get the last few seconds of the last person's entry, and have to continue it in a way that makes some kind of sense for some period of time before passing it on?
Oh? I don't quite understand how this works, would you mind explaining it a bit further?

It's like an art pass or a comic strip pass, but it's music instead! So for example someone writes 30 seconds of riffage and then you transition it into a super melodic thing or whatever the fuck you wanna do. So like we're doing now except, we'd all be making one song together opposed to showcasing individual mini songs. Or alteast that's what I think he meant.

WolfRock
WolfRock
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 13:00:07

Yeah, a little like this, right ?

  • CTSG: Shapeshifter
    CTSG: Shapeshifter by SolidElectro

    The first continue the song game, featuring 12 different artists in one single song!

    Score
    4.36 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity
    12,895 Views

I'm always up for collaborative work. Especially if we can pull off something like that.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 13:54:22

At 5/16/12 01:00 PM, WolfRock wrote: Yeah, a little like this, right ?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/122119
I'm always up for collaborative work. Especially if we can pull off something like that.

haha I think that's basically it :P
Except we'd be even cooler~~~~~~~

yea........
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 14:35:29

At 5/16/12 01:54 PM, Trampzy wrote: haha I think that's basically it :P
Except we'd be even cooler~~~~~~~

yea........

OOOOHHHH LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE'S FEELING CONFIDENT
We should totally try that kind of collab in the future.

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:07:54

At 5/16/12 02:35 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 5/16/12 01:54 PM, Trampzy wrote: haha I think that's basically it :P
Except we'd be even cooler~~~~~~~

yea........
OOOOHHHH LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE'S FEELING CONFIDENT
We should totally try that kind of collab in the future.

This kind of collab is interestingly indiscriminate. Everyone can choose their own genre and do not have to follow restricted rules like other types of collab.

Agreed. I think our collab is rocking. I have listened to the latest version of the track and I have to say most of them are really amazing works.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:19:17

At 5/16/12 03:07 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote:
At 5/16/12 02:35 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 5/16/12 01:54 PM, Trampzy wrote: haha I think that's basically it :P
Except we'd be even cooler~~~~~~~

yea........
OOOOHHHH LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE'S FEELING CONFIDENT
We should totally try that kind of collab in the future.
This kind of collab is interestingly indiscriminate. Everyone can choose their own genre and do not have to follow restricted rules like other types of collab.

Agreed. I think our collab is rocking. I have listened to the latest version of the track and I have to say most of them are really amazing works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61yKkQJSZVk <========= This is us.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Music Collab Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 16:42:40

The 2nd string on my shamisen just broke! \(O_o)'/

Now, I'm sad..... Well there's not gonna be any surprise shamisen on my part now. I guess I'm borderline done now. Perhaps it was destined for me not to use shamisen on this one track? Destiny is a douche if that's the case. Strings are expensive, and I'm not seeing sensei for another like 2 weeks :[

I know you guys don't really care~, but I felt like sharing anyways.