New Topic Respond to this Topic
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Supervillain is successful? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:38 AM Reply

ok so i got this new idea. You know in the classic "superhero" shows. comic books, etc always had the villain who wants to take over the city/nation/world/universe/whatever but is ALWAYS stopped by the superhero?

well...

I wanna flesh out something more to the tune of "superhero gets owned, villain takes over the world"

the storyline involves the life of a supervillain who has successfully taken over the world His one goal in life was to be the one who brings down all the governments of the world and installs his own.

the story begins as he's being coronated as the world's sovereign in a huge televised ceremony. After the ceremony, at the huge lavish party, Dark Jester, the one guy who was with him since the beginning (but is a freaking lunatic) asks the most relevant question ever, "The world kneels to you. now what?" The words ring in the villain's ears, "now what?" his entire plan AND life goal was to become the world's sovereign and now he has achieved it. so... now what?

Not sure where to go from there. it could be a comedy, it would be dead serious, it would be exceptionally dark, or it would be have a war theme where rebellions crop up to take him down.

I'm not sure what to do with this. feel free to take this idea and run with it.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:18 AM Reply

I don't really have a useful comment, but this sounds a lot like the kids' movie Megamind.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:18 AM Reply

At 5/3/12 10:18 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote: I don't really have a useful comment, but this sounds a lot like the kids' movie Megamind.

Now that you mention it, it kinda does, but what I have envisioned takes it in a whole other direction. Problem is, I don't have inclination to really flesh it out just yet.

here's the way I got it figured.

Evil Supervillain kills the superhero, impales his head on a pike and puts it outside of his headquarters. Supervillain takes over world. Supervillain lives day to day life was ruler of the world, with a host of evil and more often than not crazy underlings. Many of whom are trying to dethrone him and put themselves on. Supervillain does NOT have a change of heart. Supervillain learns many things about world leadership the hard way and eventually, inadvertently creates more or less, world peace in the process. He also kills off many minions along the way, but I figure to give him about 4 major minions that don't die off. Rather than get a woman and have children he makes a clone of himself to take over when he dies.

BizzyB73
BizzyB73
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

Civil war possibly? Villains are often power hungry, so it works. Each henchman could represent a distinct style of chaos, their specialty. because they are villains, they could be given as deep or shallow motivations as you want. The main character can basically be in a turf war with these factions, just a thought.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 4th, 2012 @ 02:13 PM Reply

At 5/3/12 01:38 AM, Korriken wrote: I'm not sure what to do with this. feel free to take this idea and run with it.

What you're failing to realize is that your idea involves "caricatures" and not actual characters. If a villain's goal is to take over the world, than to what purpose? Motivation is what defines a story, and what continues to drive it forward. Why does the villain want to take over the world? To prove he can? To whom? Himself? Why? When you flesh out the character, only then will you understand him/her enough to know what they would do next. In the movie Mastermind, the villain experienced the conundrum you describe, but only because one person was stopping him, and he vowed to be that person's rival. It wasn't for want of taking over, but for defeating that one person. When it happened he was left purposeless. What he did next was become the hero, for the simple fact that he was never actually evil, he just wanted to prove his own worth. The thing with taking over the world is that there are many hurdles to overcome, and taking over the world is not a goal, but a means to an end.

To use a mundane example, let's say you ask a child what they would want to be when they grow up. Let's say they respond, "Emperor of the world!" To which you respond, "why?" At that point, the child would tell you why ("change the world," "change the rules," "make humanity a more formidable force in the galaxy"), or they won't and eventually that dream would be replaced by a goal they have more motivation to achieve.

So, yeah... I think I've beat this point to death, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

Good luck.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 5th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 5/4/12 02:13 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 5/3/12 01:38 AM, Korriken wrote: I'm not sure what to do with this. feel free to take this idea and run with it.
What you're failing to realize is that your idea involves "caricatures" and not actual characters. If a villain's goal is to take over the world, than to what purpose? Motivation is what defines a story, and what continues to drive it forward. Why does the villain want to take over the world?

Because he wants to rule the world.

To prove he can? To whom? Himself? Why? When you flesh out the character, only then will you understand him/her enough to know what they would do next. In the movie Mastermind, the villain experienced the conundrum you describe, but only because one person was stopping him, and he vowed to be that person's rival. It wasn't for want of taking over, but for defeating that one person. When it happened he was left purposeless. What he did next was become the hero, for the simple fact that he was never actually evil, he just wanted to prove his own worth. The thing with taking over the world is that there are many hurdles to overcome, and taking over the world is not a goal, but a means to an end.

well at first i figured it would make the basis of a good comedy. The world is ruled by an one person whose advisers and closest friends are... unique...

or perhaps I'm looking at it from it from the wrong angle.. or perhaps wrong time frame. might be a lot more entertaining to make something from a classic superhero/villain show from the villain's point of view... except the villain's underlings are stranger than normal.

Perhaps one of the superheroes likes to play the same MMO as one of the villains are in fact actually pretty close? could be an awkward moment when they both realize it..

Hero: Out of curiosity, when you're not committing crimes, what DO you do?
Villain: I like to play World of Clan Chan Clap.
Hero: Interesting. what server?
Villain: Chan Chan server.
Hero: uhh. really. what's your characters name?
Villain: Darkdoomer
Hero: O.O
Villain: what?
Hero: My characters name is Giragirashinken
Villain: NO FREAKING WAY! My pvp partner is... YOU?!
Hero: well crap, I guess I'm gonna have to find a new pvp partner.
Villain: I'll bust out eventually. I always do.
Hero: true true. I'll let the clan master know you went on vacation and to not kick you from the clan.
Villain: Thanks...

So, yeah... I think I've beat this point to death, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

It's just a concept that will evolve over time. My other idea is a mere shadow of what it started as.

My other idea started as an idea of a Priest and demon being forced to live in the same apartment and eventually ends up with an emo living with them too.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 6th, 2012 @ 05:52 AM Reply

Xanatos Gambit.

Here, I'll just leave this here.

Supervillain is successful?

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 9th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM Reply

At 5/5/12 03:49 PM, Korriken wrote:

This seems made to go in the direction of Megamind. However, I once had this idea for a sprite movie about how Mario eventually exiled Bowser after defeating him, and basically became the monster he had always been fighting. I feel like this take could be interesting in a Crime and Punishment sort of way, where the first part is the act of the supervillain destroying his rival, but then the rest of the book is his downfall. I can see that being either darkly comic or very depressing. Think of ways to really get inside that characters head. Nightmares, insanity.

My other idea started as an idea of a Priest and demon being forced to live in the same apartment and eventually ends up with an emo living with them too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1510938/

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 9th, 2012 @ 04:26 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 02:03 PM, EKublai wrote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1510938/

everything's been done already...

meh. Difference between what I'm working on and Megamind is that the villain doesn't go all hero. no, he rules the world, its his. He tolerates heroes, so long as they don't screw with his plans and of course, they do. they invade his overly huge base of operations trying to take him down to bring freedom to the world and meet their end in various (often humorous) ways. His henchmen, while sick and twisted, also have some strange quirks that make them seem kind of... human.

I'm still working on the henchmen. Trying to come up with some freaks that don't too closely copy whats been done already. One person suggested i try something like Cicero from Skyrim, but i HATED THAT GUY. he was a whiny bitch. I'd love to do some sort of clown, without making it resemble the Joker from Batman. Maybe a mime? a Mime could be fun, guy never speaks, other henchmen always talk about em, wonder what he's thinking.

NeoDD
NeoDD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Art Lover
Response to Supervillain is successful? May. 11th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

This kinda reminds me of Wanted. (the comic book not that god forsaken movie!)

But I think this should be explored in depth, I mean think about it: a hero falls and the villain wins!..But what now?
I think the Villain should fight forces that would be a threat to his/her rule.
Examples would be an outside force that only values one thing chaos no rulers of any sort just total chaos! Others would include, a rival that wants to over throw him/her, a descendent of the hero looking for revenge, or rebellions wanting to finally dethrone him/her and gain liberty! Those are a few of many things that could threaten the villain's power, but you just have to look in the simple archetypes found in movie and stories. But you got to have a reason why these people want to oppose the villain..but then again sometimes villains don't need reasons for what they do. Like the Crimson King of Stephen King's the Dark Tower series, he could rule the multiverse and reshape them as he sees fit, but no! He wants total discord to make the multiverse in it's original form total chaos! No world domination, no emporer of the universe, no God of the multiverse but a God of total chaos and discord. But look into outside sources and find influence in the things that draw you to creativity!

Good Luck on your work!