New Topic Respond to this Topic
oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-02 23:17:38 Reply

When Sega, creators of Sonic the Hedgehog, collaborated with Bioware, creators of Mass Effect, the video game Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood was created and released in 2008. I found the game to be decent, if a bit sloppy, but the game's biggest problem is its ending: an obvious cliffhanger pointing directly at a sequel. Unfortunately, Bioware was then bought by EA, which led to the creation of Mass Effect 3 as opposed to Sonic Chronicles 2. While these words may cause some people to rejoice, I am saddened that this interesting, original story will never be finished. Perhaps Sega can do what Nintendo did after creating Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars along with Square Enix, known simply as Square back then, which was to create an unofficial sequel (the Paper Mario games) because many of the characters from the first game were copyrighted to a company that no was longer collaborating with them. I don't know; perhaps there will never be a sequel of any kind.

It matters not WHAT you do in life, but WHO you do.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-02 23:38:30 Reply

Surely Sega has a partner team willing to take up the project? I doubt Sonic Team is the only team to work on the hedgehog's adventures. Paper Mario was a game Nintendo handed off to Intelligent Systems to be released on the N64 disk drive (a failed peripheral that allowed larger games to be on disks, rather than cartridges). From what I understand there were many beta concepts and tossed out builds to the game before arriving in the last year of the N64's life, but it's one of my favorite classics. Intelligent systems hadn't even worked on a Mario game prior to this project, there only work being oddjobs and supportive work for some NES/SNES games and the Fire Emblem series, which hadn't gotten popular in Japan until the GBA era.

I never played Sonic Chronicles, but I remember wanting to try it out when it was close to release. A Sonic rpg game sounds too interesting to pass up, particularly since I'm quite terrible at the fast-paced platformer games.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

ProtomanBlues
ProtomanBlues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-03 23:18:44 Reply

The first game was fucking terrible and does not deserve a sequel.

:O

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-03 23:19:41 Reply

At 5/2/12 11:38 PM, Gustavos wrote: Surely Sega has a partner team willing to take up the project? I doubt Sonic Team is the only team to work on the hedgehog's adventures.

True. The most recent games, for example, were created in collaboration with Dimps, the company behind the creation of the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush games. However, this company has only worked on platformers, and they are currently working on Sonic 4 Episode 2, yet another glorified platformer. Sega will have to find another company to collaborate with on an RPG.

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-03 23:20:57 Reply

At 5/3/12 11:18 PM, ProtomanBlues wrote: The first game was fucking terrible and does not deserve a sequel.

Be specific. What do you not like about it?

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-03 23:58:43 Reply

At 5/3/12 11:53 PM, LaForge wrote: the idea of a Sonic-themes RPG sickens me to the core. the original series was enjoyable because it was fast. enemies were always 5 meters or less away, and dispatched them quickly and continued your blitzkrieg. RPGs are inherently slow, so the two simply do not mix.

Perhaps the sequel doesn't have to be an RPG. I'm just saying that Sega should finish the story in one way or another: it could be an RPG, a platformer, a simple movie, or even a comic book. I wouldn't mind any of those things. As for the part about the game's speed, I think the game was based around attacking as opposed to running, and the POW moves the player had to execute definitely required some deft reflexes. I do see your point, though. The running wasn't exactly supersonic (pun intended).

123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-05 01:14:53 Reply

For me, Sonic Chronicles wasnt that great of a game.
The music sucks and I dont like turn based games.
Also my DS broke and I never have finished the game.
But if you ask me, if there'll be a Sonic Chronicles 2, I wont be excited for it...

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
ProtomanBlues
ProtomanBlues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-05 15:20:06 Reply

At 5/3/12 11:20 PM, oobooglunk wrote: Be specific. What do you not like about it?

The music is just MIDI files
The whole game is tedious
Took much reliance on the stylus
Random sound effects thrown around
Pure laziness all around
Fights were tedious, avoid encounters at all times
team Pow moves are also useless since most of them are just for show, dont do much damage and take up so much points to do
The enemies go from easy to hard. Some times they can kill you in a couple hits by spamming Pow moves and others can Spam Pow moves, however, if you dont do the commands either way, it wont do much damage to you at all
Some Pow moves are completely useless and a waste of time to do. Even if you mess up one command, it will mess up the whole thing for you.
The difficulty jumps from easy to hard time to time. Kron was the worst
The final-final boss is just anti-climatic. I have nothing else to say about it.
The artwork in the pow moves and dialogue boxes are nicely drawn, but the artwork in the cutscenes look amateurish and reminds me of a flash animation. Sloppy.

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-05 15:29:23 Reply

True, but some of it actually sounded good.

The whole game is tedious

Yes, but the story was motivation enough to carry on.

Took much reliance on the stylus

So?

I don't remember that. Try to give me an example.

Pure laziness all around

Agreed.

Fights were tedious, avoid encounters at all times

Not if you have the right team of characters.

team Pow moves are also useless since most of them are just for show, don't do much damage and take up so much points to do

Not so in my experience.

The enemies go from easy to hard. Some times they can kill you in a couple hits by spamming Pow moves and others can Spam Pow moves, however, if you don't do the commands either way, it wont do much damage to you at all

Yeah, that was the point.

Some Pow moves are completely useless and a waste of time to do. Even if you mess up one command, it will mess up the whole thing for you.

That's what your actual skill is needed for.

The difficulty jumps from easy to hard time to time. Kron was the worst

Shadow's Chaos Rift will render that factor moot.

The final-final boss is just anti-climatic. I have nothing else to say about it.

That's what the fights before it were for.

The artwork in the pow moves and dialogue boxes are nicely drawn, but the artwork in the cutscenes look amateurish and reminds me of a flash animation. Sloppy.

What did you expect for a DS game? Not only that, but it was Bioware's FIRST game for the DS. I see your point, though.

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-05 15:37:01 Reply

At 5/5/12 01:14 AM, 123mine123 wrote: For me, Sonic Chronicles wasnt that great of a game.
The music sucks and I dont like turn based games.
Also my DS broke and I never have finished the game.
But if you ask me, if there'll be a Sonic Chronicles 2, I wont be excited for it...

I can see why you think so, and I'm sorry about your DS. However, what if they made a way better sequel? That's what I'm getting at. If they made Sonic Generations well, they can make Sonic Chronicles 2 well. That is, if they can find a partner team.

Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 04:41:45 Reply

Can't wait for the bitch storm that Sonic fans always do when a new one comes out.

TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 10:49:47 Reply

At 5/5/12 03:29 PM, oobooglunk wrote:
True, but some of it actually sounded good.

I think all the songs were terrible and I played the game on mute the whole time.

I don't remember that. Try to give me an example.

Why the hell do kids laugh or shout "yayyy!!!" after winning a battle? Also the cartoony "bong" is so stupid and corny.

I remember reading GameInformer's review and it was BIASED AS PHUQ.

BBS Signature
oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 12:08:40 Reply

At 5/6/12 04:41 AM, Lady-Stardust wrote: Can't wait for the bitch storm that Sonic fans always do when a new one comes out.

Yeah, especially judging by the flak the first game has gotten already.

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 12:11:18 Reply

Why the hell do kids laugh or shout "yayyy!!!" after winning a battle? Also the cartoony "bong" is so stupid and corny.

Yeah, I guess that was odd.

I remember reading GameInformer's review and it was BIASED AS PHUQ.

Guess they're with IGN there, huh? They think all Sonic games are the same. This is false. Utterly, totally false.

ProtomanBlues
ProtomanBlues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 14:41:48 Reply

At 5/5/12 03:29 PM, oobooglunk wrote: I don't remember that. Try to give me an example.

Giziod's copied "Leech Blade" uses a animal screech instead of a beam noise

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 15:47:33 Reply

At 5/6/12 02:41 PM, ProtomanBlues wrote:
At 5/5/12 03:29 PM, oobooglunk wrote: I don't remember that. Try to give me an example.
Giziod's copied "Leech Blade" uses a animal screech instead of a beam noise

Oh yeah, I remember that. Don't you mean "Blade Rush," by the way?

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 17:55:54 Reply

At 5/6/12 04:41 AM, Lady-Stardust wrote: Can't wait for the bitch storm that Sonic fans always do when a new one comes out.

I think you mean the Sonic retro fans.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-06 18:00:00 Reply

Sonic Chronicles didn't look that interesting, but the decent reception it got and the fact that bioware assisted in making the game made me curious.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature
oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-07 21:46:49 Reply

At 5/6/12 06:00 PM, II2none wrote: Sonic Chronicles didn't look that interesting, but the decent reception it got and the fact that bioware assisted in making the game made me curious.

So do you think there should be a sequel?

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-07 23:31:34 Reply

At 5/7/12 09:46 PM, oobooglunk wrote:
At 5/6/12 06:00 PM, II2none wrote: Sonic Chronicles didn't look that interesting, but the decent reception it got and the fact that bioware assisted in making the game made me curious.
So do you think there should be a sequel?

I haven't played the first one so I can't say without being bias.

QOTW:

BBS Signature
oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-08 00:48:23 Reply

You should. It's different from most Sonic games, but it's an awesome, unique adventure. Would you like a villain-related spoiler?

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-08 00:49:54 Reply

At 5/8/12 12:48 AM, oobooglunk wrote:
You should. It's different from most Sonic games, but it's an awesome, unique adventure. Would you like a villain-related spoiler?

its an echidna chick in a weird black costume named shade, right?

QOTW:

BBS Signature
oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-08 21:18:11 Reply

its an echidna chick in a weird black costume named shade, right?

Oh, but there's more.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-09 09:28:16 Reply

They fucked up with the first game completely. They had a good idea, remaking the GOOD early games which they did well. One stage for a game....

No one gives a shit about the newer games, if they are going to make a sequel they should remake every stage in the early Genesis games and Sonic CD. Those are the only stages worth remaking.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-09 21:45:47 Reply

No one gives a shit about the newer games, if they are going to make a sequel they should remake every stage in the early Genesis games and Sonic CD. Those are the only stages worth remaking.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. They've started doing that with Sonic Generations and Sonic 4: Episode 2.

phamminhloan
phamminhloan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-09 22:27:56 Reply

Construction is solid and it is very unlikely these will break. Although unlike traditional dumbbells, you can't drop these on the ground after a set. super mario flashcar games

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-09 23:09:08 Reply

At 5/9/12 09:45 PM, oobooglunk wrote:
Yeah, I agree with you on that. They've started doing that with Sonic Generations and Sonic 4: Episode 2.

The problem with this is you can only continue to re imagine levels for so long before they too start to get repetitive. the series needs to move forward not continually reminisce on there old levels, bosses, and music that made the blue blur so iconic after Sonic 4 episode 2 I'd rather not see another excuse story to recreate old levels, SEGA already showed they can get sonic right now its time to find a formula for the side characters that will just as engaging or close to it as the sonic's gameplay in GENERATIONS.

QOTW:

BBS Signature
oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-09 23:53:56 Reply

after Sonic 4 episode 2 I'd rather not see another excuse story to recreate old levels, SEGA already showed they can get sonic right now its time to find a formula for the side characters that will just as engaging or close to it as the sonic's gameplay in GENERATIONS.

Technically, Sonic 4: Episode 2 has completely new levels, but they're like old levels...remixed?

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-12 00:31:14 Reply

At 5/9/12 10:27 PM, phamminhloan wrote: Construction is solid and it is very unlikely these will break. Although unlike traditional dumbbells, you can't drop these on the ground after a set. super mario flashcar games

...What?

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Sonic Chronicles 2? 2012-05-12 00:55:17 Reply

At 5/9/12 11:53 PM, oobooglunk wrote: after Sonic 4 episode 2 I'd rather not see another excuse story to recreate old levels, SEGA already showed they can get sonic right now its time to find a formula for the side characters that will just as engaging or close to it as the sonic's gameplay in GENERATIONS.

Technically, Sonic 4: Episode 2 has completely new levels, but they're like old levels...remixed?

if it's too similar then that fits the re imagined discription that I was talking about. After this TIME TO MOVE FORWARD SEGA

QOTW:

BBS Signature