New Topic Respond to this Topic
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Painting/coloring a flower 2012-05-02 20:12:51 Reply

Just a bit odd, I know, but this would seem the forum to ask about what to use. I'm trying to color a white rose to look like a pokeball, complete with a tag "I choose you!". Though I imagine I can't just take a permanent marker if I want any sort of coverage, so I'm wondering what sort of paint/markers/whatever I would need. Thank you, plus a picture for reference:

Painting/coloring a flower

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Painting/coloring a flower 2012-05-02 20:33:35 Reply

At 5/2/12 08:12 PM, Patton3 wrote: Just a bit odd, I know, but this would seem the forum to ask about what to use. I'm trying to color a white rose to look like a pokeball, complete with a tag "I choose you!". Though I imagine I can't just take a permanent marker if I want any sort of coverage, so I'm wondering what sort of paint/markers/whatever I would need. Thank you, plus a picture for reference:

If you just wanted to take a picture of it you could always use Photoshop. If you want a physical colored flower then... maybe try food coloring?

Or G.I.M.P depending on your level of disposable income.
Vonschlippe
Vonschlippe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Painting/coloring a flower 2012-05-02 22:11:46 Reply

At 5/2/12 08:12 PM, Patton3 wrote: Just a bit odd, I know, but this would seem the forum to ask about what to use. I'm trying to color a white rose to look like a pokeball, complete with a tag "I choose you!". Though I imagine I can't just take a permanent marker if I want any sort of coverage, so I'm wondering what sort of paint/markers/whatever I would need. Thank you, plus a picture for reference:

I'm pretty sure this was done with color dyes or food coloring, and a white flower. The flower is selectively "dipped" in the color , some parts being masked or protected from the dye, in order to get interesting results.

Don't even bother with markers.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Painting/coloring a flower 2012-05-02 22:27:18 Reply

At 5/2/12 08:33 PM, Glacier wrote: If you just wanted to take a picture of it you could always use Photoshop. If you want a physical colored flower then... maybe try food coloring?

When i was in elementary school science we added food coloring to water in vases housing white carnations, and the flowers soaked up the dye and turned whatever color we'd added. I doubt you'd get the same effect if you're only covering the petals and not touching the root structure, but I think you might still have to worry about the dye bleeding (like when you use a marker on wet paper and the ink soaks into areas where you don't want it.

I think paint or marker would work for this, but the problem will be covering the petals with without them falling out.
Maybe spray paint would avoid this, but it's hard to control. I feel like an airbrush (which i've never used) would be ideal, but those are expensive. Perhaps a mister spray bottle filled with paint of some sort . You'd need stencils for this, to keep the droplets of paint from going where you don't want it to.

Or find flowers with firmly attached petals.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Painting/coloring a flower 2012-05-02 23:23:11 Reply

Forget what I said before. Looks like some kind of paint works just fine.
I'd use acrylic and thin it with water.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Painting/coloring a flower 2012-05-03 00:05:56 Reply

Thanks for the input, and from what I've read here, start with something that's not too delicate which I should be able to ask about where I buy it. Then use thinned out black acrylic to do the black markings down the center. And with the acrylic basically cutting it in half, I should be able to use red dye on one half without worrying all that much about it bleeding over.

Any reason that ought not work, provided I'm patient?

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Painting/coloring a flower 2012-05-03 00:53:09 Reply

At 5/3/12 12:05 AM, Patton3 wrote: Any reason that ought not work, provided I'm patient?

I can't think of any reason why not. I'd buy extra flowers just in case you screw up on the first one.