strawberrymarie
strawberrymarie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Friends? (C++) 2012-05-01 21:00:12 Reply

My Life story:
I've been programming with ActionScript 2 (very badly, mostly since theres no definite book, just other peoples codes and youtube tutorials) since I was about... 13? This year, I basically had a revelation. To seriously create and produce my game ideas, and to have them reach their highest ability--C++ or a professional multi-purpose language is the way to go.

I've purchased a few books (C++ for Dummies, and Beginning C++ Through Game Programming 3rd Edition) that I've started to read through. I have really been trying to figure the steps I need to take before I can successfully start a project on a game. With that, I figured I should learn C++ pretty fluently before I jump into things like 3d graphics or game engines or using and ASI or XNA or all those things that I just dont understand yet.

I want some people I can ask questions to that know about all this stuff. Right now there might not be as many questions, but I want to meet some people I can count on to know either the answer or can point me in the right direction when I'm wondering how to start my game engine, or what program to use for my graphics, or how to make a library or how to fix a glitch in my code.

Extra: I want to eventually produce to XBLA, and am planning on using Direct3D and XNA and whatever else it takes to produce a good product (and something generally professional, program/software wise, that i can use for the next few years instead of a game specific language with a compiler that does all the work for you).

everette00
everette00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-01 21:49:08 Reply

At 5/1/12 09:00 PM, strawberrymarie wrote: My Life story:
I've been programming with ActionScript 2 (very badly, mostly since theres no definite book, just other peoples codes and youtube tutorials) since I was about... 13? This year, I basically had a revelation. To seriously create and produce my game ideas, and to have them reach their highest ability--C++ or a professional multi-purpose language is the way to go.

I've purchased a few books (C++ for Dummies, and Beginning C++ Through Game Programming 3rd Edition) that I've started to read through. I have really been trying to figure the steps I need to take before I can successfully start a project on a game. With that, I figured I should learn C++ pretty fluently before I jump into things like 3d graphics or game engines or using and ASI or XNA or all those things that I just dont understand yet.

I want some people I can ask questions to that know about all this stuff. Right now there might not be as many questions, but I want to meet some people I can count on to know either the answer or can point me in the right direction when I'm wondering how to start my game engine, or what program to use for my graphics, or how to make a library or how to fix a glitch in my code.

Extra: I want to eventually produce to XBLA, and am planning on using Direct3D and XNA and whatever else it takes to produce a good product (and something generally professional, program/software wise, that i can use for the next few years instead of a game specific language with a compiler that does all the work for you).

Hi, Strawberrymarie. Welcome to the world of C++!

First off, I commend you for attempting C++. C++ can be daunting, especially coming from AS2. I recently started to get back into it the other day after around two and a half years of not touching it. But I have semi-extensive experience in C#, as well as a little experience in both Python and JavaScript.

If you'd like, you can PM this account here if you have questions about C++. I'll try to get a response back to you whenever I can. While I don't respond to all threads created on this forum, I do lurk around quite often for when someone does need my help.

Good luck in your C++ learning travels. Don't be afraid of asking questions. Knowledge is meant to be shared.

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-02 01:45:45 Reply

I'd suggest openly asking questions on the forum because people around here tend to back up their answers with documentation and code, more so when there's a chance of proving someone wrong, but in any case you might end up learning more this way than by having to compare PMs,emails and whatnot.

However, if you feel more comfortable asking people directly, feel free to PM me.

blank0000
blank0000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-02 13:24:57 Reply

"insert over used hello world joke he- NO! we are above such things!"

Hola, and welcome to the world of c++!

Your making a wise decision. C++ is used all over the place, you'll need it it you want to code just about anything. Either way, its important to learn how to code in something that isn't a scripting language.

I'm a student Majoring in computer science Game Design, so I have a lot of exposure to the sort of things you might be interested in. I've worked with C/C++,c# , java and I've got experience using XNA and the unreal engine. PM anytime if you have any questions, I'd be happy to discuss and help you out.

BBS Signature
ClassicOverflow
ClassicOverflow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-03 05:40:23 Reply

An array inside an array inside an array. We need to code deeper.

blank0000
blank0000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-03 14:27:58 Reply

At 5/3/12 05:40 AM, ClassicOverflow wrote: An array inside an array inside an array. We need to code deeper.

psssssssssssssssshhhhh maaaaaaaaaaan, throw in some lists and import a vector library, and we can go way derper :P

BBS Signature
everette00
everette00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-04 00:32:03 Reply

At 5/3/12 02:27 PM, blank0000 wrote:
At 5/3/12 05:40 AM, ClassicOverflow wrote: An array inside an array inside an array. We need to code deeper.
psssssssssssssssshhhhh maaaaaaaaaaan, throw in some lists and import a vector library, and we can go way derper :P

How about this?

int x = 3;
int* y = &x;
int** z = &y;
int*** zz = &z;
int**** zzz = &zz;
int***** a = &zzz;
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-04 09:53:28 Reply

No, C++ for games is a stupid idea, and by the time you'll get into the industry it'll be near death except for engine developers.

blank0000
blank0000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-04 13:08:39 Reply

At 5/4/12 09:53 AM, Wolfos wrote: No, C++ for games is a stupid idea, and by the time you'll get into the industry it'll be near death except for engine developers.

If your going to be game programming at all you will NEED to learn object orientated programming and memory management, both of which are a part of c++. It is true that new languages will come and go, but they are all derived from what came before them"c,c++,c#,objective-C", and the things you know as a c programmers are going to be far more useful if you plan on using multiple engines/frameworks. If someone wants to learn programming then they should learn whats available , not hold out for a new undocumented language.

BBS Signature
strawberrymarie
strawberrymarie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-04 15:15:41 Reply

Thank you for all the responses! (: I know this process will be tough.

Does anyone know anywhere I can find some really basic tutorials about 3d graphics (with openGL), or does anyone know some basics and is willing to explain some things to me? (: thanks for any help, I've been looking, but havent really found anything I'm looking for yet.

Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-04 16:35:34 Reply

At 5/4/12 03:15 PM, strawberrymarie wrote: Does anyone know anywhere I can find some really basic tutorials about 3d graphics (with openGL)

Any online tutorials will be severely out-dated and shouldn't be used.
Your best bet would be a book. I recommend this one. It was published in August 2010, so most of it is still relevant. I don't think it covers OpenGL 4.0 though.

blank0000
blank0000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-04 17:41:23 Reply

I would say learn C/C++ before tackling GL

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-06 13:46:19 Reply

At 5/4/12 05:41 PM, blank0000 wrote: I would say learn C/C++ before tackling GL

I still think if your goal is making games then C++ is definitely not the way to go.

(mostly) Whatever you can do with C++ can be done in stuff like Flash and Unity, or even XNA, with the difference of being done a lot faster and easier.

Even if you get something big and awesome done with C++, what are you going to do next? The download market is a difficult one and programming is less than half of what makes a successful game. Releasing a game and having it played by millions, and even monetizing it is an insanely valuable experience that can help you actually get a foothold in getting a career making games.

With that said though, if your goal is to get a career programming, not necessarily games, then sure, learning C++ would be a very valuable skill.

All in all, it's all about choosing the right language for the right task. And not just choosing C++ because it's "big and awesome" and "it's a real programming language".

In fact, it's the same case with game makers. I used to look down on game makers of all kinds, until I saw a game that won an IGF or something like that, that looked incredibly complex that was apparently made with a game maker. I've also seen a lot of other amazingly successful indie games made in game makers. Heck, Unity itself could be considered a game maker.

If there's an easier way to do something, then do it.

blank0000
blank0000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-06 14:13:42 Reply

At 5/6/12 01:46 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 5/4/12 05:41 PM, blank0000 wrote: I would say learn C/C++ before tackling GL
I still think if your goal is making games then C++ is definitely not the way to go.

(mostly) Whatever you can do with C++ can be done in stuff like Flash and Unity, or even XNA, with the difference of being done a lot faster and easier.

Even if you get something big and awesome done with C++, what are you going to do next? The download market is a difficult one and programming is less than half of what makes a successful game. Releasing a game and having it played by millions, and even monetizing it is an insanely valuable experience that can help you actually get a foothold in getting a career making games.

With that said though, if your goal is to get a career programming, not necessarily games, then sure, learning C++ would be a very valuable skill.

All in all, it's all about choosing the right language for the right task. And not just choosing C++ because it's "big and awesome" and "it's a real programming language".

In fact, it's the same case with game makers. I used to look down on game makers of all kinds, until I saw a game that won an IGF or something like that, that looked incredibly complex that was apparently made with a game maker. I've also seen a lot of other amazingly successful indie games made in game makers. Heck, Unity itself could be considered a game maker.

If there's an easier way to do something, then do it.

You bring up a good point, at least about practicality when designing. I still think that if your a beginner at programming, your better off learning fundamental stuff and then moving on to flash/unity/Xna because you'll have an understanding of why things are structured the way they are, you'll have a better chance of learning versatile techniques and skills, which will in turn make you a better game programmer.

BBS Signature
strawberrymarie
strawberrymarie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-06 14:50:48 Reply

Both of those points are valid, and Im pretty sure i dont want to become a programmer when i grow up, but really want to create games (as a hobby moreso). C++ is a little frustrating in the sense that i cant just draw a picture and make it a class and add the code i want to it. Everything about C++ is frustrating because i want to be able to start practicing creating that 3d game right now, but its way to complex for me to even work at at the moment. I might be taking some c++ courses over the summer (hopefully itll be easier and faster to learn than reading it out of a book by myself), and with the knowledge that ive already acquired since i started learning c++ (a week or two ago) i feel i'll be way more successful with any other language i try then i was before.

Its a tough decision... something easier but less ... customize-able maybe? or something really complex but completely customize-able. :(

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-06 16:13:46 Reply

At 5/6/12 02:50 PM, strawberrymarie wrote: Both of those points are valid, and Im pretty sure i dont want to become a programmer when i grow up

Then trying to delve into C++ is definitely not a smart choice. I don't see C++ as something that's going to be beneficial to you within the next 2 or 3 years. I mean sure, once you get down to it, and if you're planning a career as a programmer, you'll be happy you learned it, even if you never actually use it in your work, what you learn from it can be applied to anything else.

However if you just want to start now, and want to develop games as a hobby, then you need something that allows you to start working now. Because either way, after you spend months learning C++ and how everything works, you're bound to end up using a game engine of some sorts to do all the low level stuff for you anyway.

You can't spend your life re-inventing wheels. There's no reason you can't get right down to releasing your first game next month. Just think that, whatever you can do in C++ in a month, you can do in a week in some of the higher level languages.

Heck, I just discovered how awesome Lua is a few days ago. Along with thisawesome framework, what more could you want?

PhilipMR
PhilipMR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Friends? (C++) 2012-05-09 14:12:09 Reply

The question you need to ask yourself is how far you are willing to go with this, basicly if you're just having a moment where you feel like creating games would be cool, then it's definetly not a wise decision to learn programming, to fully master an advanced low level programming language such as C++ can take years, if you are definetly dedicated to working on a programming career, then I'd like to welcome you to the programming world with open arms :D

It's a good idea to start programming with a game framework such as XNA, sure it's a tiny bit outdated, but it does give you a pretty good insight of how things are running, though keep in mind that XNA uses the C# language, not C++.
If there's anything you'd want to know, about C/Objective C/C++/C#/Java, you can always PM me and I'd be happy to help you out.

Looking for 2D artists, and composers for an Android Game Project, if you are interested, PM Me.