New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 17:58:10 Reply

WELCOME TO THE SEVENTEENTH OFFICIAL NAC!

I bring you May's theme: The Adventures of URMOM

"The Adventures of URMOM" you say? What does that mean?

Well.. in the most hilarious and most likely most sexist NAC to date.. we are making a MOTHERS DAY NAC âEU" but vith a tvist!

Your mom is being featured in her own video game as the main player, and it is YOUR job to make the title music for the game! You can make other level music too but main title music is preferred. Now depending on your relationship with your own mother I am sure how you can see this going.. well.. several ways.. its all up to you âEU" do you love your mother? Do you wish her to die in a stinky kitchen? Let us know!

Also we want to see what kind of game you would like your mother to be starring in in the song description. Will she be shrunk down and have to battle epic germs with household products in the kitchen, use a miniature vacuum to get mutant dustballs in the living room? USE GIANT STEEL WOOL TO SCRAPE OUT THE GREASE IN THE OVEN? Ohh the possibilities are endless!

You could do a "mortal Mombat" theme where you pit your mother against OTHER mothers! You could even make a tribute to pico day and make it the pico children's mothers!

Or perhaps "Mom of the dead" where your mother is the last in a zombie apocalypse and has to kill hordes of zombies!

But let's not let me bring up all the crazy ideas.. maybe you love your mom, and will make her pick flowers or something.. Bonus points for best game description! YAAAAAAYYYY!!!

Contest Focus

You know what.. this one's pretty open ended. Just keep in mind that anything you make is gonna reflect on how you view YOUR mother.. and if you think badly of her.. we will all disapprove of you, as will our mothers! No cookies for you!

---

Examples

aaah yes.. examples.. I dunno man.. unless you want me to post like.. "Motherlover" by lonely island.. I don't think I can really help you thereâEU¦

âEU¦ surPRISE us..

Covers and Remixes

fuck em! No covers or remixes allowed for this contestâEU¦ NONE! NONE AT ALL!

Production

Production

You know what.. I stress this every month.. but if you DON'T put a lot of production quality in your song and someone else does, NATURALLY they are going to most likely do better than you. So do yourself and everyone else a favour and don't rush this please. If the effort you are putting forth isn't good enough for your mother, then it certainly isn't good enough for us! Your mother may say "oh that's nice dear" but we'll say "THIS SONG IS SHIT YO!"

So yeah.. please try.

1) If you use real instruments - make sure they sound sweet!
2) If you use a real vocalist - make sure the vocals sounds sweet!
3) If you use Nuendo or East west (which I know 90% of you that go down that route will) - for the love of god - mix it properly!

BONUS POINTS

We'll favour like we said real instruments and voices - but in the end we will judge based on sheer talent and production of the song, and it's appropriateness to.. well.. your mother :P

---

Voices

Voices can be used, provided that:
1) It is not sampled from copyrighted recordings.
2) It is 100% your own recording and creation.
3) You can ask another artist or group to provide vocals, as long as all material is newly created for your submission, and you provide the details of the vocalist(s), who they are.

Instruments & Collabbing

Recordings of instruments are great! Make sure you list any you used in your song description, and if anyone else helped, list them as well! As a result if someone assists you with instruments you may include them as part of your song - just make sure to mention them in your song description. The prize however will only go to the user that submitted the song.

---

Deadlines

All tracks must be in by the deadline. Please check your Newgrounds in-boxes regularly. If you have a problem with reaching the deadlines, please contact us as soon as possible, and we will review your case.

Submissions must not contain any material deemed offensive.. unless it's hilarious of course.

Further questions pertaining to official NACs can be found in the NAC General Discussion Thread

Last but not least, remember to have fun! Don't get too competitive and/or elitist, or I may have to bash some heads! :P

Also tags now work for audio âEU" Please tag your song nac052012 so that it can be put in a collection âEU" also feel free to do this for previous NACs so that they can all be categorized âEU" yay!

---

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 18:00:01 Reply

Here are the set dates and deadlines for this contest

From now till 11:59 PM EST Monday May 21st: Submissions will be accepted.

Tuesday May 22nd: The 8 finalists will be announced, and their submissions will be closely scrutinized and reviewed by our finalist judges. NO BUTTHURT WHINING PLEASE.

also no pulling a Kanye West please.

Friday, June 1st: The top 4 will be announced by our finalist judges, as well as frontpaged the next month at some point by one of the audio mods (frontpage not guaranteed & results may be delayed till the second in case of emergency or me having a good enough excuse to delay it)

also only songs submitted uniquely for the contest month will be accepted (you cannot have one for that month and it also submitted 2 years ago as well for example, or have a repeat nac entry submitted from last year)

---

The finalist judges for "The Adventures of URMOM" NAC will be...

To be determined - I will be taking offers from anyone interested - so PM me if you are interested. We prefer judges who have been around the block a few times on newgrounds - as evidenced by the all-star lineup we had in the past - so this month we are looking for NG veterans of all "natural instrument and sound design and voice" kinds. I will keep you posted.

Also Tylandril (aka Realmguys aka Tyler) as well as Evil-Dog have offered to be standby judges - which means they are free for me to use in the finalist judging if I feel their skills are appropriate for the contest judging-wise :) They will be most likely helping in this contest. Evil-Dog definitely will as he had a hand in this contest's inception.

If you want to be a sweeper judge, please talk to me but atm my good friend Jon has been filling in for brokendeck.

Also keep in mind that as a finalist judge you only have ONE WEEK to judge the 8 submissions, so if this is an issue for you, or you think you might not be able to pull through, then PLEASE DON'T OFFER!

We will pick the top three from the 8 finalists.

---

PRIZES

1st Place: $50.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 1st place sig (optional)
2nd Place: $40.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 2nd place sig (optional)
3rd Place: $30.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 3rd place sig (optional)
4th Place: weekly feature, reviewed by all judges
5th Place: reviewed by all judges

6th Place: reviewed by all judges
7th Place: reviewed by all judges
8th Place: reviewed by all judges

---

Please post your submissions in this thread!

This is easy. Just simply post your song link into the text window like so...

• A Song For Your Mom
    A Song For Your Mom by RobSoundtrack

How to say 'your mom' in song

Score
    4.52 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    General Rock
    Popularity

and more importantly - HAVE FUN!!!

..MUFFINS!!

May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 18:00:29 Reply

Oh god the picture... THE PICTURE...

Well I'm not sleeping tonight. Guess I'll take a shot at this instead.

(._.) ( l: ) (.-.) ( :l ) (._.)

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 18:05:29 Reply

At 5/1/12 06:00 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Oh god the picture... THE PICTURE...

also don't copy your shit into word and then paste it into here liek I did - apparently itll mess up "s and -s.. I fixed the "s the first time but now I just noticed the -s are all that weird aEU| thing.. so whatever.. THOSE ARE DASHES!

obviously I don't REWRITE the whole damn thing every time I make a new nac..

lol..

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 18:25:27 Reply

At 5/1/12 06:05 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 5/1/12 06:00 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Oh god the picture... THE PICTURE...

also don't copy your shit into word and then paste it into here liek I did - apparently itll mess up "s and -s.. I fixed the "s the first time but now I just noticed the -s are all that weird aEU| thing.. so whatever.. THOSE ARE DASHES!

obviously I don't REWRITE the whole damn thing every time I make a new nac..
lol..

Don't worry, it's still legible. It's not like I'm gonna judge you for having some wonky text in there.

BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 18:39:54 Reply

At 5/1/12 06:31 PM, LaForge wrote: that's not really a theme Chron. it's so vague that anything could be submitted and accepted. A) "video game music" could be any genre on earth, and B) everyone's relationship with their mother is completely different. really the only instrument that could follow the theme effectively is vocals, meaning lyrical content. the only way you could tell that a submitted track was meant for this contest is if the lyrics are about one's mother, so EVERY track will have to have vocals, right?

Well I dunno, while I agree that the topic is quite broad, but I don't think vocals would be absolutely necessary. My main criticism would be that for the music to relate to the theme it has to be put into context, so placement in the competition would rely on your ability to tie your track into a separate idea, rather than focusing entirely on the quality of the track itself.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 22:05:35 Reply

I should probably also add that PsychoGoldfish made this months theme.

Insert foots in mouth all around now.
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 22:09:22 Reply

At 5/1/12 10:05 PM, Chronamut wrote: I should probably also add that PsychoGoldfish made this months theme.

I should also add that due to the infrequent use of the discussion threads I`m just gonna have everyone post whatever as well as their comments either in here or the general discussion thread that is posted a bajillion times in this thread.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 22:16:36 Reply

At 5/1/12 10:05 PM, Chronamut wrote: I should probably also add that PsychoGoldfish made this months theme.

As if that justifies anything at all?

The theme is still really vague and just plain illogical if you dont make vocals mandatory,

ALSO WHAT IF I DONT HAVE A MOTHER YOU BIASED PRICK.

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 22:25:48 Reply

At 5/1/12 10:16 PM, jpbear wrote: As if that justifies anything at all?

The theme is still really vague and just plain illogical if you dont make vocals mandatory,

ALSO WHAT IF I DONT HAVE A MOTHER YOU BIASED PRICK.

Three solid minutes of silence?

John Cage did it...

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-01 23:49:07 Reply

At 5/1/12 10:31 PM, LaForge wrote:

uh so? i wasn't saying it to insult you, i was just pointing out the flaws, the fact that Mr. Goldfish thought up the theme makes no difference.

the theme fuckin' blows.

then don't submit.

The fact that it's so open imo lends a lot of creativity to it. Go nuts :)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-02 00:17:40 Reply

the point of the contest is to tie the song into a game theme for a game idea that you write up. It is no different than when a game designer asks a musician to make a song for his game. Basically it will be judged by how well your song fits your own game theme.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-02 03:15:39 Reply

rule 10

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-02 10:03:22 Reply

As someone who's followed these audio contests, the themes have just been so boring in the past. This theme is like an open invitation for people to have some fucking fun and make some entertaining music.

Remember, the rules specifically state that "we want to see what kind of game you would like your mother to be starring in in the song description." That means if your game idea is lame, your song is probably going to be generic and not win a damn thing.

This contest will really require artists to be more creative than ever. If anything, this contest will be more challenging than one where the rules are so narrow, your songs almost write themselves. This contest will have some real variety, innovation, and show NG who the real creative powerhouses of the audio portal REALLY are. And I, for one, look forward to hearing the results.

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-02 10:15:15 Reply

Thanks Josh - I thought so too :)

satanicpotatoe
satanicpotatoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-02 18:17:47 Reply

LaForge made his point here.
I'll look forward for the June's theme then :)

BBS Signature
YouriX
YouriX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-03 04:33:49 Reply

At 5/2/12 06:17 PM, satanicpotatoe wrote: LaForge made his point here.
I'll look forward for the June's theme then :)

This is going to be a really really really hard theme to make a song from. Since well, i see my mother as a very docile, sensitive person. I cant imagen my Mom starring in any game. Maybe in the cooking mama game. So i'll probly go for a easy listenining gerne.

I'll see what i can do. ;)

ALECXACE
ALECXACE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-04 21:43:43 Reply

oh goody
my mother is a complete psycho-nut job/ nice and kind/ fked up person/ always asking questions kinda person :D
I know just the tune to whip up for her!!!

Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-05 09:19:05 Reply

I've never submitted to one of these before. I think that instead of complaining about this contest, I may enter some type of song for it. I'm not sure why people like to fuss and fight about things not going their way so much.

I believe I have an idea as to what I want to do for this contest, but does the song have to be humorous?

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Metallica1136
Metallica1136
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-05 13:43:42 Reply

---

Well, ain't this weird. Heavy metal in april, and mother's day for may? I'll enter for the hell of it

Searching for the answers. There's a universe inside us all. Every passing lifetime. Important as the last.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-05 16:01:42 Reply

At 5/5/12 09:19 AM, Bosa wrote: I've never submitted to one of these before. I think that instead of complaining about this contest, I may enter some type of song for it. I'm not sure why people like to fuss and fight about things not going their way so much.

I believe I have an idea as to what I want to do for this contest, but does the song have to be humorous?

the song simply has to reflect the relationship with your mother :P

or the game idea you are sticking her in :P

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-08 09:14:25 Reply

2 weeks left guys :)

IIPhase
IIPhase
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-08 11:42:39 Reply

Uhmmmm my mom has passed away.
It feels awkward to make either a fun song or a serious song for this competition.
The only thing i can do is enter a song that is serious and expresses how i feel about her.

That really doesn't seem the aim of this competition.
I will see what i can do.

I don't want to win this because I really don't want to be part of a game in this way.

Hope you understand!

New entry below

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-08 23:26:30 Reply

Might as well give me 1st place now

• The Birthing Pool
    The Birthing Pool by Gobblemeister

Dis a scary vidya geam!!!

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Funk
    Popularity

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-09 09:16:31 Reply

At 5/8/12 11:42 AM, IIPhase wrote:
Hope you understand!

of course.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-10 18:51:01 Reply

At 5/8/12 11:42 AM, IIPhase wrote: Uhmmmm my mom has passed away.
It feels awkward to make either a fun song or a serious song for this competition.
The only thing i can do is enter a song that is serious and expresses how i feel about her.

That really doesn't seem the aim of this competition.
I will see what i can do.

I don't want to win this because I really don't want to be part of a game in this way.

I perfectly do; I lost my mother too, four years ago. I wanted to think about my mother, but all I can think of is a very sad song, which probably would defeat the purpose of our competition.

AMDG ✝ NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-11 12:54:31 Reply

At 5/10/12 06:51 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
I perfectly do; I lost my mother too, four years ago. I wanted to think about my mother, but all I can think of is a very sad song, which probably would defeat the purpose of our competition.

then dwell on the happy memories of when she was alive - pretend she still is.

Gede
Gede
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-15 01:39:07 Reply

I'm not putting the gameplay in the description. I'll put it here.

Mom making cakes on a beautiful sunny day. That's all :D

• Tranquility
    Tranquility by Gede

Original soundtrack made for the game "Gym Jane"

Score
    3.81 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to May Nac '12 The Adventures Of Urmom 2012-05-15 08:56:33 Reply

Not sure if this qualifies.

• Mother
    Mother by TroisNyxEtienne

A little something in honour of my late mother.

Score
    4.57 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

AMDG ✝ NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
YouriX
YouriX
  • Offline.