• 53 Replies
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 05:24 PM

So I've been in various collabs before... and none of them were ever finished... like ever. So, I'm going to run my own collab, and I'll make sure that it'll get finished this time by making sure people are just as interested as me with getting a collab finished.

So questions off the bat:

What is this collab?
This collab will vary across genre... I'm thinking about having it like the first collab I was a part of (a person would produce their own part for 30 seconds, then it would switch off to the next person). I plan to have the collab extend between 5-10 mins, so that'll give enough time for the listener to really hear some of the artists that haven't been heard yet on this site (or have... doesn't matter).

Any requirement to join?
Just don't suck badly lol. If you just throwing together random noises and expecting people to continue on with the song, then don't even sign up. I want people who are actually interested in being music artist to join this, rather then trolls.

When is the final sign-up date?
Here's how it's going to go. If you sign up, you'd better be in the process of creating you part, or finished with it. There won't be a final date but I'll notify people when the collab is finished. Depending upon how successful the idea is, then I might make another one for the people who didn't get a chance to enter into this one.

Why am I doing this?
I like collabs. It gives me a real interest since I'm presenting my work along side with other artist, and I think that idea is awesome in itself.

Btw, this is something that is for fun, so don't really expect any sort of attention from this (unless you want to blast out to everyone saying your a part of an awesome collab, then be my guest), but do it just because you love to make music.

Anyway, if there's anything I missed, ask in the thread or pm me about it, and I will hopefully have an answer for it.

Any takers?

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 05:46 PM

I'm interested, but do you have a BPM or key for them all to be in? It'd probably help solidify the collab, instead of jumping around a lot. Definitely sounds like fun.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 05:53 PM

At 5/1/12 05:46 PM, CaseyVenn wrote: I'm interested, but do you have a BPM or key for them all to be in? It'd probably help solidify the collab, instead of jumping around a lot. Definitely sounds like fun.

Haven't really though about it... probably around 130-160 range... and key... I'm not going to be harsh about it as long as people can transition to the key well.

CaseyVenn
CaseyVenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 05:56 PM

Okay, well, I'm game for it. Worst case scenario is that it's trial and error, haha. I'll toy with some concepts and get back to you. Just throw me feedback when you can.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 07:22 PM

Hmmm. Sounds interesting. This should keep my summer busy. Any more details?

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:04 PM

I most definitely want to be a part of this.

It's basically going to be a series of 30 Second Clips glued together, is What I understand?

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:32 PM

:Okay, well, I'm game for it. Worst case scenario is that it's trial and error, haha. I'll toy with some concepts and get back to you. Just throw me feedback when you can.

Alright, I'll let you know probably through pm.

Hmmm. Sounds interesting. This should keep my summer busy. Any more details?

Hopefully it wont take the full summer lol. But otherwise, I guess the only thing is whenever you finish your part, just send it to me, and I'll work it into the full concept. Also, make sure you have something that emphasizes your name (Voice clip or something like that) so listeners know who's the person behind the 30 sec clip.

And also don't post the clip on here... send it to me through another sharing site, or maybe even like box.net so that people don't already have it by the time we release lol.

:It's basically going to be a series of 30 Second Clips glued together, is What I understand?

Yup, that's exactly what it is.

Okay, so far we have (in no specific order):
Zelazon (me)
CaseyVenn
Tydusis
CidiousChef

So we have about 2 mins of content already... let's see if we can get more people to become involved.

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:46 PM

I'm not interested, but I might like to remix your song rise, I feel I could make it a lot better (imo.)

DCMB
DCMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

At 5/1/12 08:46 PM, stratkat wrote: I'm not interested, but I might like to remix your song rise, I feel I could make it a lot better (imo.)

Arrogant much?

I'd love to be a part of the collaboration.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

You could try out the Collab Forum as well.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I'm not interested, but I might like to remix your song rise, I feel I could make it a lot better (imo.)

Firstly, I don't know if this is just you just starved for attention, or you actually have ideas that can make the song better... if it's the latter, go ahead, I have no problems with that... otherwise, you could have just pmed about it since it's considerably off-topic.

I'd love to be a part of the collaboration.

I'll be glad to add you to it :)

You could try out the Collab Forum as well.

I'll see if there's anyone interested in there, and probably link it to this thread so I don't have to juggle between two threads.

Zelazon (me)
CaseyVenn
Tydusis
CidiousChef
DCMB

I'll wait for more people to join (and see if anyone in the collab section wants to join as well... if not, then we'll probably get extended parts (which I think most of you wont mind lol)

houzatosis
houzatosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

I might give it a go.

so are we just submitting 30 seconds of rendered audio, or is it supposed to be a project file of some sort. And is it strictly 30 seconds, or can an extra second or two be added or taken off so that a measure isn't cut off awkwardly?

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

At 5/1/12 11:56 PM, houzatosis wrote: I might give it a go.

so are we just submitting 30 seconds of rendered audio, or is it supposed to be a project file of some sort. And is it strictly 30 seconds, or can an extra second or two be added or taken off so that a measure isn't cut off awkwardly?

Rendered audio and yea, transitions are fine.

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:57 AM

what I suggest is have scale and bpm because adding the parts will not sound too good

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:02 AM

At 5/2/12 02:57 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: what I suggest is have scale and bpm because adding the parts will not sound too good

Alright, well if people are feeling that it's necessary to have an establishe scale and bpm for the collab to be more cohesive, then let's established one right now.

Since I want to keep this fairly simple, let's do 140 BPM, and have it Bb (B- Flat for those who don't understand musical terms lol)

Any objections?

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:30 AM

I'm down for this!

I couldn't go first 'cause I don't know Bb.. But I can work within a key if I hear it.

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:46 AM

At 5/2/12 03:30 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote: I'm down for this!

I couldn't go first 'cause I don't know Bb.. But I can work within a key if I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjG2AouSlM

Literally the first scale you learn in any music class.

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:17 AM

At 5/1/12 11:45 PM, zelazon wrote:
Firstly, I don't know if this is just you just starved for attention, or you actually have ideas that can make the song better... if it's the latter, go ahead, I have no problems with that... otherwise, you could have just pmed about it since it's considerably off-topic.

I thought imo implied more suited to my personal tastes I'm sorry:( I like the melodies in it, but I guess it people think I'm just being a dick for liking a song enough to remix it whatever. I'll be more careful about my wording next time.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:32 AM

At 5/2/12 04:17 AM, stratkat wrote:
At 5/1/12 11:45 PM, zelazon wrote:
I thought imo implied more suited to my personal tastes I'm sorry:( I like the melodies in it, but I guess it people think I'm just being a dick for liking a song enough to remix it whatever. I'll be more careful about my wording next time.

Yea, I kind of figured that, but by saying "a lot better", it made it seem like the whole song was sub-par to what you could produce. Now i'm not underestimating your skills as an artist, but that song took a LOT of work to make, so just precluding it as some that's easy to do can come across as insulting.

And next time, just pm me asking if you can remix it... if it comes out better, then props to you... I have no problem with that :)

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:14 PM

I might give it a go, but I'm opposed to having a specific scale for the simple reason I wouldn't respect it anyhow. :P

Unless it's only a general guideline, of course.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:45 PM

At 5/2/12 01:14 PM, camoshark wrote: I might give it a go, but I'm opposed to having a specific scale for the simple reason I wouldn't respect it anyhow. :P

Unless it's only a general guideline, of course.

All you really need is a transition to your specific key, and if I'm not able to fit your part into the song, then I can just pm you and tell you what you can do to make it fit better.

Zelazon (me)
CaseyVenn
Tydusis
CidiousChef
DCMB
houzatosis
chimeranoise
camoshark

About 4 minutes of work... keep em coming :)

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:26 PM

Can I join?

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:32 PM

I am up for some collaboration. Any genre you want then I am good.

My email is norske.drittsekk@gmail.com

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Can I join?

I have no problems with it.

I am up for some collaboration. Any genre you want then I am good.

I'm up for having you a part of the collab.

Zelazon (me)
CaseyVenn
Tydusis
CidiousChef
DCMB
houzatosis
chimeranoise
camoshark
J-Rex
NorskeDrittsekk

Okay, we've filled up the minimal amount of people required for this Collab...

Now, with that out the way, should we seperate a discussion thread to discuss further details of the Collab? or should everything be contained within this thread?

Also, I'll pm all of you to get an idea of how long your parts are going to take, and also the responsiveness of the pms to make sure people are still wanting to do their part.

This DOES NOT mean that collabs are closed from more people joining, but the max amount of time will be 10 minutes, so that's 10 more people who have the option of joining.

Any other questions as well?

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

How long should the music be?

What tempo?

What key signature?

What genre do you prefer?

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

At 5/3/12 12:36 AM, J-Rex wrote: How long should the music be?

30 secs (a little longer if your planning on transitioning)

What tempo?

140 bpm

What key signature?

Bb (B flat)

Whatever works best for you.

Kassich
Kassich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:36 AM

At 5/3/12 12:46 AM, zelazon wrote:
At 5/3/12 12:36 AM, J-Rex wrote: How long should the music be?
30 secs (a little longer if your planning on transitioning)

What tempo?
140 bpm

What key signature?
Bb (B flat)

Whatever works best for you.

count me in if theres still space!

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 03:15 AM

count me in if theres still space!

From now on, if people want to join up, they're immediately going to receive a pm from me with the questions I've sent to the other members for the collab.

And yes you can be a part. Expect a pm from me in about 10 secs lol.

WolfRock
WolfRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:30 AM

I'd like to join this. Is there some place left ?

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to So... Music Collab anyone? May. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

I'd like to join this. Is there some place left ?

Yes there is :)

What is this collab?
This collab will vary across genre... I'm thinking about having it like the first collab I was a part of (a person would produce their own part for 30 seconds, then it would switch off to the next person). I plan to have the collab extend between 5-10 mins, so that'll give enough time for the listener to really hear some of the artists that haven't been heard yet on this site (or have... doesn't matter).

Any requirement to join?
Just don't suck badly lol. If you just throwing together random noises and expecting people to continue on with the song, then don't even sign up. I want people who are actually interested in being music artist to join this, rather then trolls.

When is the final sign-up date?
Here's how it's going to go. If you sign up, you'd better be in the process of creating you part, or finished with it. There won't be a final date but I'll notify people when the collab is finished. Depending upon how successful the idea is, then I might make another one for the people who didn't get a chance to enter into this one.

UPDATE: We have about 12 people signed up, so do your best to hurry along and sign up or all the room is going to be taken.

Also, I'm looking to have all the parts in by atleast 2 weeks from the last person who signs up, so I can start working on the process asap

Why am I doing this?
I like collabs. It gives me a real interest since I'm presenting my work along side with other artist, and I think that idea is awesome in itself.

Btw, this is something that is for fun, so don't really expect any sort of attention from this (unless you want to blast out to everyone saying your a part of an awesome collab, then be my guest), but do it just because you love to make music.

Zelazon (me)
CaseyVenn
Tydusis
CidiousChef
DCMB
houzatosis
chimeranoise
camoshark
J-Rex
NorskeDrittsekk
Kassich
WolfRock

We're about at 6 mins of time, with a variety of artist... let see if we can get more apart of this.