Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-03-01 12:03:21 Reply

At 2/28/13 07:54 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 2/28/13 07:52 PM, Jackho wrote: Started watching me some X files, never seen the show before. Dat theme song. It's like every note rattles your very soul.
It's REALLY good, at least until around season 6, and even beyond that some of the monster of the week stuff is good. Mytharc goes batshit insane and abandons any sort of logic after the episode "One Son", though.

I expected season 1 to be very dated. Well, I guess it is, but it's still doing a great job of holding my attention. I've only started watching |TV shows recently, I guess I always thought they weren't as good as movies or worth my time. I was wrong.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-03-01 13:30:24 Reply

At 2/28/13 07:52 PM, Jackho wrote: Started watching me some X files, never seen the show before. Dat theme song. It's like every note rattles your very soul.

I've only seen the mytharc episodes, and then only into Season 2 or so. I liked what I saw, though.

At the moment I'm getting into Buffy, which is a ton of fun if not the best thing Joss Whedon's ever done. I dig the cheesy nineties vibe and for once I'm actually enjoying the standalone episodes because they're so much fun.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-03-16 02:24:19 Reply

Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

The season finale of The Walking Dead airs the exact same time as the season premier of Game of Thrones. What a goddamn pickle that is.

Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-03-16 13:35:36 Reply

At 3/16/13 02:24 AM, Makeshift wrote: Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

The season finale of The Walking Dead airs the exact same time as the season premier of Game of Thrones. What a goddamn pickle that is.

Watch the one with the highest priority. Record the other and watch it right after :)

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-03-18 14:14:52 Reply

At 3/16/13 02:24 AM, Makeshift wrote: Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

I'm giving up on The Walking Dead for now. I know what happens from the comics and the show's inconsistency gives me little motivation to see how the Governer arc gets resolved.

I'm looking forward to Game of Thrones, though. Going to rewatch season 2 with my dad before the new episodes air.

DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-03-30 08:16:18 Reply

So I've started watching Oz and am currently pretty hooked. Made my way through the first three seasons in under a fortnight. It took about three episodes to really get going but after that, it had me craving for more. I love the fact that characters get killed at random, no one seems to be safe and anyone could be offed at any given time. The stereotypes are fantastic for a change and for such a large cast, most of them have interesting back-stories and key roles to play.

It's not for the fainthearted (male rape, swearing, racism and extreme violence are key elements), but if you don't mind that kind of thing then it's a great piece of viewing that's up there with some of the best television of the past three decades.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-06-18 04:41:16 Reply

Finished Oz (It was awesome) and started on Lie To Me starring Tim Roth. Just finished the first season and again, pretty hooked on it at the minute. Roth is awesome as always, the supporting cast are great and the storylines are very intriguing. Shame it was cancelled after only three seasons, but I'm looking forward to see what direction they head in over the final two.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-06-18 04:46:27 Reply

I've been watching Blackadder.

Great show.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-06-23 07:40:53 Reply

As a result of me currently playing through Deadly Premonition, I really want to see Twin Peaks. Also, the sad news of James Gandolfini's death also resparked my interest to watch The Sopranos, a series that I've only really seen small amounts of. Contemplating ordering those on DVD.

I don't really watch many TV series though. The only series that I've been watching recently were all Star Trek series. Since Christmas I've watched all of The Original Series, The Next Generation and am currently early on in season 3 of Deep Space Nine. Star Trek is great.

Another personal favourite of mine is a Scottish sitcom called Still Game. It's about two Scottish pensioners and all the situations they find themselves in. I'd highly recommend it if anyone is looking for something different to watch. It has been off air for a few years now but once the first season starts to pick up, it's a consistently good show and I'd almost be willing to guarantee that it'll make you laugh. I suppose some people might find it difficult to watch given that it is a Scottish show and most of the characters have quite strong Glaswegian accents and use a lot of Scottish dialect that some people might not understand. If you get the chance though, give it a shot.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-07-03 13:16:03 Reply

At 6/23/13 07:40 AM, Dean wrote: Still Game

I can vouch for this, great show. Watched the first two seasons but the screen on my laptop broke so I have no way of watching more until it's fixed or something.

Been watching californication on netflix instead, which I'm enjoying much more than I expected I would. Hank Moody is a great character and Duchovny should be in more things.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-07-08 08:03:39 Reply

I've actually been watching a lot of The Sopranos recently. I absolutely love this show. Only started watching it last week and already I'm on series 4. As of right now, I'd probably call this my favourite TV show of all time.

I guess my one gripe with it is that some storylines seem to start and then get dropped without conclusion. Either that or they come into play later on. For example, what happened to the Russian that Paulie shot in the Pine Barrens episode? He disappears, they never find him, we're told that the Russian was some kind of ex-special forces guy who killed 16 people single handedly and we never hear about him again? I thought it was going to build up to a point where he'd get back to the Russian boss and try to get revenge or something. Okay, so they wanted to leave an element of mystery to it, but that Russian didn't seem like someone who'd just disappear without putting up a fight.

Overall though, fantastic show. I'm really enjoying it. It actually has me wanting to watch through Sons of Anarchy now, but I'll just wait until that show comes to a conclusion and they get the complete box set whenever it becomes a thing.

Still not started on Twin Peaks yet. Think I'll get get The Sopranos finished before making a start on that, rather than try to watch two shows at the same time.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-07-13 14:07:17 Reply

Haven't been keeping up with TV much since Game of Thrones finished airing, though I did start on HBO's Girls, mainly because Judd Apatow is attached as executive producer. Honestly, it's pretty refreshing to watch in a medium that typically under-represents female characters. It's also novel to see male characters written from the perspective of female writers, when usually it's visa versa. However, one complaint I have is that, although the characters are usually written as flawed but realistic, occasionally they come across as entitled.

It's no Freaks & Geeks, but it's still an easy watch with some amusing cringe-comedy moments.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-07-24 20:29:33 Reply

Sopranos spoilers in the post.

Just got done with The Sopranos and it is without a doubt my favourite TV series of all time. I went into it under the impression that Tony dies in the finale, because I thought I'd had the ending spoiled for me a long time ago. It sounds kinda silly to admit, but that last episode, I was dreading the moment where I'd see Tony get shot. I have mixed feeling about the ending, but thinking about it, it was probably the right thing to do.

Personally, I reckon Tony probably did die. Bobby's whole "probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" combined with the cut to black right as Meadow walks in. Regardless, I sort of appreciate them not making it 100% clear. A confirmed dead Tony would have left a pretty depressing ending and then on the other hand, knowing that Tony is fine would have made me want to see more.

Also pretty pleased that Paulie didn't come to an end. He was one of my favourite characters throughout.

Great show, great ending. I'll probably watch this series many more times in the future.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-07-27 21:55:13 Reply

I'm about to get back into Fringe. I stopped watching for a while. I don't know why, though, because it's great.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-10-10 14:37:04 Reply

Nearing the end of Deep Space Nine, kinda. On the last episode of season 5 so I still have season 6 and 7 to go. Once I'm though with it that would have been me though with all the TV series I own on DVD, so I wanted to get something else. Seeing as I'm on a bit of a sci-fi kick just now I was planning on getting the original Battlestar Galactica or the modern series. After some advice from TheMaster I ended up ditching my Battlestar Galactica plans and decided to order Babylon 5 instead. For a while I was contemplating getting Star Trek Voyager or Enterprise but seeing as they're not very highly rated I thought I'd hold off on them for the time being. Can't wait to get started on Bablylon 5. It really has me interested and I've not even started on it yet!

Prior to this I took advantage of the Netflix trial to watch all of Breaking Bad. Good series but personally I didn't think it was quite as amazing as everyone made it out to be. Definitely the best series I've seen in recent times but I struggle to agree with the claims that it's the best TV series of all time. My personal favourite TV series so far would be The Sopranos. I thought it had a lot more to offer than Breaking Bad does.

Also watched all of Life on Mars which I used to watch occasionally when it was still airing on TV. Fantastic series, especially the finale. Thought the ending to it all was pretty great. I tried watching some of the sequel series (which I've forgot the name of) but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I was just burnt out after watching Life on Mars. Moved onto Justified instead with is another show I really like. Never got through it all though.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-10-10 19:13:25 Reply

At 10/10/13 02:37 PM, Dean wrote: tried watching some of the sequel series (which I've forgot the name of) but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I was just burnt out after watching Life on Mars.

Ashes to Ashes had a weak first season but really picked up after that. Definitely worth giving it another go. Gets as good as Life on Mars in places.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-10-10 20:01:12 Reply

At 10/10/13 07:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: Ashes to Ashes had a weak first season but really picked up after that. Definitely worth giving it another go. Gets as good as Life on Mars in places.

If it wasn't for Gene Hunt making a return I probably wouldn't have even bothered checking it out. I'll probably give it another shot at some point. I think my main issue with the few episodes I did see is that Alex Drake is just nowhere near as Sam Tyler was. I actually found her to be quite dull. It just wasn't keeping me hooked like Life on Mars did. But if you say it gets better I'll have to go back and try again eventually.

Just got done watching the pilot movie/episode of Babylon 5 and the first 4 episodes. I went in with average expectations because from the opinions I've read the first season and the movies aren't thought too highly of in comparison to seasons 2-4. If this is considered weaker than the later seasons, I can't wait to see what's to come because so far I'm really enjoying it.

Star Trek is really the only thing I have to compare it to. Deep Space Nine in particular. I do love Deep Space Nine but I have to say that my initial impression of Babylon 5 is that this is going to be the better series. What I've seen so far felt like it had a lot more action going on than a typical episode of DS9 but still has a similar sort of vibe to it.

I know I'm not even a quarter of the way through the first season but so far I'm definitely impressed. I think Garibaldi is probably my favourite character so far. His actor constantly reminds me of Bruce Willis. I think they might be long lost brothers or something.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-03 17:15:02 Reply

I know this thread doesn't get much love but I thought I'd give it a bump anyway. Recently I've been watching a mixture of Babylon 5, Doctor Who and Red Dwarf.

I've been watching Babylon 5 for some time now, slowly making progress. I'm about half way through the final season. This has been a fantastic series for the most part. Seasons 2-4 definitely felt like the strongest to be, but that seems to be a pretty common opinion. Some of the recent one off type episodes were cool. Like the episode where it followed the two station handymen around and the episode I'm currently watching which is being shown from Bester's point of view.

As for Red Dwarf, I've seen the first 4 seasons. Loving this show a lot more than I thought I would. I expected the novelty of it to wear off but it has managed to remain funny. I'm told it eventually starts to go downhill a bit but I guess I expected that. Great show none the less.

Doctor Who kind of took me by surprise as well. I sort of bought the season 1-4 box set on a whim and ended up really enjoying it. Got done with the season 3 finale tonight and I can't imagine it'll be long before I get done with the 4th. I'll probably move on to season 5 from there, even though I am a little sceptical as to whether or not I'll like Matt Smith. Might even venture into some of the classic Who episodes.

I've also ordered 3 more TV series on DVD. These series all being related in the sense that they were created by the same person. British sci-fi TV series from the 60's. If anyone actually reads this post, see if you can work out what they are.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-03 18:35:45 Reply

I've not been able to get properly into a TV show in ages. Been rewatching Generation Kill, and going to make a start on the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series soon, but I've still got about 1/4 of Sharpe to watch. Just haven't been able to sit down and marathon anything.

At 1/3/14 05:15 PM, Dean wrote: I've been watching Babylon 5 for some time now, slowly making progress. I'm about half way through the final season. This has been a fantastic series for the most part. Seasons 2-4 definitely felt like the strongest to be, but that seems to be a pretty common opinion. Some of the recent one off type episodes were cool. Like the episode where it followed the two station handymen around and the episode I'm currently watching which is being shown from Bester's point of view.

The problem with season 5 is that they were told they'd been cancelled during season 4. They had plenty of time to wrap everything up, so pulled it all together and left the series basically finished. Then the network changed their mind and didn't cancel it after all, so season 5 ends up being basically an extended epilogue.

The season 5 finale was actually shot as the season 4 finale, then held back for a year after the renewal.

Speaking of the finale, save it until the end. I can't recommend doing so enough. It is the PERFECT ending to a TV series and you'll not want to watch any Babylon 5 stuff after it. Watch all but the very last episode, then watch Crusade and Legend of the Rangers and all the other spin-off stuff, then come back to Sleeping in Light. You'll not regret it.

As for Red Dwarf, I've seen the first 4 seasons. Loving this show a lot more than I thought I would. I expected the novelty of it to wear off but it has managed to remain funny. I'm told it eventually starts to go downhill a bit but I guess I expected that. Great show none the less.

Rob Grant (the "Grant" in "Grant Naylor") left after series 6 and the series written by Doug Naylor alone aren't quite as good. The revived series is also just Doug Naylor, but is way better. Back to Earth is sketchy, but series 10 is great.

Might even venture into some of the classic Who episodes.

Genesis of the Daleks is the one to go for. There's very little continuity in classic Who so watching out of order doesn't matter, and Genesis is a really good taster to see if the show works for you. Also, as a nice little link to the new series, it's generally accepted that it's the start of the Time War. Not been mentioned on screen but it has been mentioned in official BBC material.

I've also ordered 3 more TV series on DVD. These series all being related in the sense that they were created by the same person. British sci-fi TV series from the 60's. If anyone actually reads this post, see if you can work out what they are.

Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Stingray, surely.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-03 18:57:13 Reply

At 1/3/14 06:35 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've not been able to get properly into a TV show in ages.

I've sort of been having the opposite problem. TV series have overtaken video games and my main source of entertainment. I struggle to remain motivated when playing games these days and usually resort to putting a DVD on instead.

The problem with season 5 is that they were told they'd been cancelled during season 4.

I've enjoyed season 5 as a whole, it does just feel a bit long winded and I've started to lose interest a little. Once the Vorlon and Shadow plot was wrapped up I became a little less interested in the plot, but still enjoying it. I'm interested to see how it all comes to an end.

Speaking of the finale, save it until the end. I can't recommend doing so enough.

I'll take your advice with this. My original plan was to watch episode 21 of season 5, then River of Souls, Legend of the Rangers and go back for episode 22. Followed by A Call to Arms, Crusade and The Lost Tales. That was the order that a website gave me. I've found that I'm not so keen on the TV films. They just feel like extended episodes and I usually stop paying attention about halfway through. A bit too dragged out for my liking. Interested to see what Crusade is going to be like though.

Rob Grant (the "Grant" in "Grant Naylor") left after series 6 and the series written by Doug Naylor alone aren't quite as good. The revived series is also just Doug Naylor, but is way better. Back to Earth is sketchy, but series 10 is great.

I only have up to series 8. Once I've seen all of those, I'll likely pick up the newer ones out of curiosity. I was a little disappointed when Holly took female form though. Male Holly was one of my favourite things about the show. That guy was brilliant.

There's very little continuity in classic Who so watching out of order doesn't matter, and Genesis is a really good taster to see if the show works for you.

This is something I was actually going to ask in the Doctor Who crew. When I look at classic Who episodes on Amazon I feel so out of my depth. So many of them, generally not in box sets and I have no idea where to start. I have noticed a few small box sets that combine a few related episodes and for the sake of value, I'm more drawn to them. I'll definitely look into Genesis of the Daleks though. The Dalek episodes in the reboot have generally been my favourite episodes.

Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Stingray, surely.

Haha, nailed it. I thought someone might get Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet but wasn't sure about Stingray. Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet are shows that my dad had me watch once in a while when I was younger. I don't have much recollection of them but I was always fascinated by the puppets and the sets. Saw them cheap on Amazon and figured they'd be well worth a watch. Stingray isn't a show I've ever seen but after watching some clips on YouTube I figured it seemed worth a shot. Mostly looking forward to Captain Scarlet though. Remember preferring that show over Thunderbirds.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-04 15:25:33 Reply

At 1/3/14 06:57 PM, Dean wrote: I've enjoyed season 5 as a whole, it does just feel a bit long winded and I've started to lose interest a little. Once the Vorlon and Shadow plot was wrapped up I became a little less interested in the plot, but still enjoying it. I'm interested to see how it all comes to an end.

I always enjoyed the Earth stuff more than the Shadow War stuff. Severed Dreams is one of my favourite episodes of any show ever because it's when all that build up finally kicks off. Would be my favourite of the show, if not for Sleeping in Light, which might be my absolute favourite.

I'll take your advice with this. My original plan was to watch episode 21 of season 5, then River of Souls, Legend of the Rangers and go back for episode 22. Followed by A Call to Arms, Crusade and The Lost Tales.

The finale is chronologically the last thing set in the universe anyway. All the spin off stuff takes place between the penultimate episode and Sleeping in Light.

I only have up to series 8. Once I've seen all of those, I'll likely pick up the newer ones out of curiosity. I was a little disappointed when Holly took female form though. Male Holly was one of my favourite things about the show. That guy was brilliant.

Holly is written out altogether for a while, but when he pops up again he's back to Norman Lovett. I think they're both great, though.

This is something I was actually going to ask in the Doctor Who crew. When I look at classic Who episodes on Amazon I feel so out of my depth. So many of them, generally not in box sets and I have no idea where to start. I have noticed a few small box sets that combine a few related episodes and for the sake of value, I'm more drawn to them. I'll definitely look into Genesis of the Daleks though. The Dalek episodes in the reboot have generally been my favourite episodes.

Often the box sets are a sneaky way of getting an episode people might not be that interested in by bundling it with the one that comes before or after, or at least that's how a lot of them seem to me. In terms of actually good ones:

The Beginning - First three serials. An Unearthly Child and The Edge of Destruction aren't anything to shout about, but you get the first Dalek story too, and seeing the very beginning is a good idea anyway.
The Key To Time - A full season of linked stories. Quality varies, but you've got some Douglas Adams stuff in there, and it's generally pretty good.
Beneath the Surface - All the Silurian stories. Doctor Who and the Silurians is a classic, The Seal Devils is pretty cool, Warriors of the Deep is terrible. Worth it on the whole.
Peladon Tales - Curse of Peladon is great, Monster of Peladon is pretty good. Nice little let.
Revisitations 1 - The Movie, Talons of Weng-Chiang and Caves of Androzani. Talons and Caves are two of the best in the whole show, the movie is a curiosity that's worth a look just to see how the Americans handle Who.
Revisitations 3 - Tomb of the Cybermen, The Three Doctors and The Robots of Death. Tomb and Three Doctors are excellent, Robots is good.

BBS Signature
SteamboatBiLLY
SteamboatBiLLY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-04 15:28:13 Reply

My favorite television shows have to be:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Supernatural
3. Batman: The Animated Series
4. Charmed
5. That 70s Show

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-05 01:34:56 Reply

I wonder what the hell is happening with The Terror?

I haven't heard dick about since AMC announced it last February.

I hope it's still coming. I loved the book.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-05 08:48:47 Reply

At 1/4/14 03:25 PM, TheMaster wrote: I always enjoyed the Earth stuff more than the Shadow War stuff. Severed Dreams is one of my favourite episodes of any show ever because it's when all that build up finally kicks off. Would be my favourite of the show, if not for Sleeping in Light, which might be my absolute favourite.

The Earth stuff has kept me interested too, I just preferred the stuff about the Vorlon and Shadow war because I liked the mysteriousness of it all. Ever since I first watched The Gathering I was fascinated by Kosh. I couldn't help wanting to know about him and his race, which I guess was the point. The Shadows were pretty interesting too, again mainly because I wanted to know more about them. I always liked episodes where Morden appeared. I guess ultimately, when all was revealed, the Shadows weren't quite what I'd hoped. I'd also like to have seen more of the Walkers of Sigma-957.

The finale is chronologically the last thing set in the universe anyway. All the spin off stuff takes place between the penultimate episode and Sleeping in Light.

Ah, right. For some reason I assumed that Crusade was going to be set well into the future or something. No idea why I thought that. Is Crusade actually a good watch? I'll watch it regardless, but when a show only gets one season I'm usually a little sceptical.

Often the box sets are a sneaky way of getting an episode people might not be that interested in by bundling it with the one that comes before or after, or at least that's how a lot of them seem to me. In terms of actually good ones:

Ah, right. So what's in the box sets are generally available as a stand alone DVD anyway. That's not so bad then, I just assumed that what was in the box sets might have been exclusively in the box sets. It'll likely be a while before I get around to watching any of the Classic Who but it's nice to have a list of recommended episodes, so thanks for that. I'd still like to get seasons 5-7 of the reboot first. I was always a little sceptical of whether or not I'd like Matt Smith because he just doesn't look all that interesting to me, but I watched the 50th Anniversary episode just to get a feel for him and he's actually quite likeable.

Was hoping the Gerry Anderson series I ordered would have arrived yesterday, seeing as that was Amazons' delivery estimate but they never came. I'll probably try to watch them in order of release but that's also the reverse of how I favour them. I think Thunderbirds is also about double the length of Stingray and Captain Scarlet. Depending on how much I enjoy these shows I might try to pick up the other Gerry Anderson puppet shows. With the exception of Terrahawks, I'm not sure if the other's appeal to me all that much though. And even Terrahawks is borderline.

I also have the Battlestar Galactica box set sitting here which I haven't started yet. Once I get Babylon 5 out of the way I'm most likely going to start Battlestar and pick up where I left off with Deep Space Nine, which is the first episode of season 6.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-05 09:03:43 Reply

At 1/5/14 08:48 AM, Dean wrote: Ah, right. For some reason I assumed that Crusade was going to be set well into the future or something. No idea why I thought that. Is Crusade actually a good watch? I'll watch it regardless, but when a show only gets one season I'm usually a little sceptical.

Crusade never finds its footing. It was planned, like B5, to be the start of a five-year story arc, but was cancelled after the first season. No way to tell how it would have turned out had it been able to run, but as it stands it's not very good.

Ah, right. So what's in the box sets are generally available as a stand alone DVD anyway.

Nah, that's not the case. It's a case of holding good stories hostage unless you buy the set with a dodgy one too. They've been even worse recently, holding back new releases like The Tenth Planet and Terror of the Zygons by releasing them as part of massive, expensive box sets of which the rest of the DVDs are rereleases, and not putting them out solo until 6 months to a year after. They've done stuff in the past like releasing Terror of the Autons only in a box set with Spearhead from Space, which had existed as a solo release for ages beforehand. BBC are pricks when it comes to DVDs.

The only non-limited edition sets who's components are also available separately are Bred for War and the Revisitations sets. Revistations are worth buy anyway, though, since they're rereleases of the very early DVDs that came out before the restoration team had refined their technique, so the new versions look a ton better. Bred for War is just the 4 Sontaran DVDs with a cardboard sleeve around them.

I also have the Battlestar Galactica box set sitting here which I haven't started yet. Once I get Babylon 5 out of the way I'm most likely going to start Battlestar and pick up where I left off with Deep Space Nine, which is the first episode of season 6.

Man, that's not a good follow up to B5. BSG is just B5 done wrong. All the prophecy and mystery stuff without the satisfying payoffs because it was made up as they went along rather than planned out from the beginning. First 2 and a bit seasons when that aspect of it is still in the background and it's more focussed on the military and politic side of things is great, though.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-06 17:13:17 Reply

At 1/5/14 09:03 AM, TheMaster wrote: Crusade never finds its footing.

I'll probably be getting started on that tonight. I just watched episode 21 of season 5 and the last two of the Babylon 5 films. Those films were better than the previous ones. Some of the films struggled to hold my attention.

BBC are pricks when it comes to DVDs.

Speaking of people being pricks when it comes to DVDs, Amazon bumped up the price of Doctor Who season 5 from £13 to £24. I notice the blu-ray is still down at £15. Most likely going to be switching to blu-ray from now on anyway, assuming I get something to play them.

Man, that's not a good follow up to B5. BSG is just B5 done wrong.

Aww, don't say that I was looking forward to BSG :(

All I've seen of BSG so far is the miniseries which I watched back when I was using the Netflix trial. I'll re-watch it when I start watching the show properly, but the miniseries was enough for me to want to order the full show. I have high expectations of it so I hope it meets them. It seemed like the kind of show that would keep me interested so we'll see.

Captain Scarlet and those other box sets still haven't arrived. They'd better be here tomorrow or I'll be a little annoyed at having paid Amazon for first class postage. I don't know why I bother. It seems on the few occasions I've chosen to pay for first class delivery that the items never arrive any quicker.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-08 16:27:28 Reply

At 1/6/14 05:13 PM, Dean wrote: I'll probably be getting started on that tonight. I just watched episode 21 of season 5 and the last two of the Babylon 5 films. Those films were better than the previous ones. Some of the films struggled to hold my attention.

Sleeping in Light will make up for the weak films, it's why you should save it until last. The first time I watched it I started crying about 2 minutes in, and never stopped.

I struggle to make it through the very last scene by itself. The whole episode destroys me.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-01-09 12:28:21 Reply

Tomorrow SYFY'S new series "Helix" premiers.

I'm gonna give it a shot.

It's been years since I thought a SYFY show looked interesting.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-07-12 05:17:27 Reply

Well, this place hasn't seen much activity recently.

At 1/8/14 04:27 PM, TheMaster wrote: Sleeping in Light will make up for the weak films, it's why you should save it until last. The first time I watched it I started crying about 2 minutes in, and never stopped.

I struggle to make it through the very last scene by itself. The whole episode destroys me.

You know, I've still actually to get around to watching this. I'm done with all the main Babylon 5 stuff aside from that last episode, but I still have Crusade to get through and never actually got around to starting it. Wanted to save the final B5 episode until after I'm done with that for some reason.

I started season 2 of Battlestar Galactica the day before yesterday and I'm already about half way through. Been rather enjoying this.

A little over 2 weeks to go before the Twin Peaks Blu-ray set is released. I have that on pre-order and I'm looking forward to watching the series again and finally getting a chance to see Fire Walk With Me. Usually I'd be a bit hesitant to pre-order blu-ray given that you still see releases people aren't happy with but fuck it, it's Twin Peaks.

I was browsing amazon the other day as well and noticed that The Sopranos is receiving a Blu-ray release later this year. I still consider The Sopranos as my favourite TV series of all time and despite having it on DVD already, I'm tempted to go for the Blu-ray release of that too. If anything it'll give me an excuse to re-watch it.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2014-07-12 06:14:08 Reply

At 7/8/13 08:03 AM, Dean wrote: I've actually been watching a lot of The Sopranos recently. I absolutely love this show. Only started watching it last week and already I'm on series 4. As of right now, I'd probably call this my favourite TV show of all time.

I've been hesitant to begin watching that show because of my severe aversion to spoilers. I've just already heard so much about the finale and how bad it was, nothing really specific, just stuff that I fear would ruin my enjoyment and lead to a lot of disappointment upon finishing the series.