New Topic Respond to this Topic
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-23 18:09:00 Reply

At 10/23/12 12:08 AM, SG3 wrote: Anyone else been watching The Walking Dead? I'm really surprised by how good it's been lately.

Still need to watch season three. As soon as I get a day off work and the house to myself it's going on!

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-25 16:39:22 Reply

Oh wow who here has been watching Dexter season 7? It's the best season since 4 easily, if you haven't finished season 6 yet then just skip to the last episode for context, most of season 6 is bad lol.

nobody

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-25 17:35:46 Reply

At 10/25/12 04:39 PM, Innermike wrote: Oh wow who here has been watching Dexter season 7? It's the best season since 4 easily, if you haven't finished season 6 yet then just skip to the last episode for context, most of season 6 is bad lol.

I stopped watching it because of Season 6. I thought 7 looked good so I'll probably do what you suggested when I find time to start watching it again. I already know what happened in that last episode, but I want to see it myself anyway.

Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-25 21:55:48 Reply

At 10/25/12 04:39 PM, Innermike wrote: Oh wow who here has been watching Dexter season 7? It's the best season since 4 easily, if you haven't finished season 6 yet then just skip to the last episode for context, most of season 6 is bad lol.

They have gone to many impasses up in the years, but I think the new season 7 is pretty good so far.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-25 23:23:26 Reply

Parks and Recs just gave me serious happy tears. More shows need to do this.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-28 04:55:14 Reply

Is the US version of The Office really better than the UK version? I haven't seen much of the US version (3 episodes) but the UK version seems a lot better.

Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-31 04:41:03 Reply

At 10/28/12 04:55 AM, Jolly wrote: Is the US version of The Office really better than the UK version? I haven't seen much of the US version (3 episodes) but the UK version seems a lot better.

I've heard a lot about that the UK version is better. Though, I have only watched the US version.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-10-31 04:44:39 Reply

At 10/31/12 04:41 AM, Rawnern wrote:
At 10/28/12 04:55 AM, Jolly wrote: Is the US version of The Office really better than the UK version? I haven't seen much of the US version (3 episodes) but the UK version seems a lot better.
I've heard a lot about that the UK version is better. Though, I have only watched the US version.

I've watched about 25 episodes of the US version so far.. It's definitely better. The UK version is a bit more realistic and feels like an actual documentary.. but the US version is much better.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-11-01 06:46:05 Reply

I've only really seen the first season of both, but I was under the impression the UK version was better received than the remake. It's obviously a lot more influential, though the US show does a good job holding its own. I just couldn't tolerate the protagonist of each, so I stopped watching. I know that's the point, but I still really grated on me. I wish they'd given Martin Freeman's character more screen time. He seemed the most obviously likeable one.

I liked Extras, though. And Parks and Rec.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-11-06 17:52:33 Reply

I checked out the pilot to CW's Arrow today, at the insistence of some friends. I probably didn't give it nearly enough chance, and maybe some of these will change, but here's my totally non-objective response:

Pros:
- I guess it's alright if you've never heard of GA
- The action is well filmed

Cons:

- Narration by protagonist is a clunky means of exposition, especially to establish the characters inner thoughts
- Dialogue like: "Stay away from me. Otherwise I might hurt you again." or "He's been able to bribe or kill anyone who's got in his way. *dramatic beat* He hasn't met me yet."
- Reactions to GA's return from his family aren't believable or compelling in their own right (there's like one scene where it's effects are fully established, for his sister. His mother is pretty much ignored)
- Too derivative of Nolan's Batman trilogy.
- His costume is barely even green.
- Starling City is a pointless name change, the city lacks personality (could just as easily be Metropolis or Coast City)
- Never officially named Green Arrow, in show or title
- His character has little to no liberal viewpoint (this one might develop later I guess)
- That's not a domino mask, that's green spray paint. You utter mug.
- Killing a dude in cold blood is VERY atypical of the character
- His "wacky" comic-relief buddy is irritating beyond belief
- No Speedy (as in "FUCK NO, SPEEDY IS NOT HIS SISTER!!!!")
- No Black Canary (as in "FUCK NO, DINAH LANCE IS A LEGACY SUPER-HERO, NOT SOME RANDOM LAWYER BROAD!!!!"), and wtf is with "Laurel" anyway? That's not her name. She's completely unrecognisable from her comic-book counterpart.

Also, lack of relation to the DCU means:
- No sci-fi / "comic-book" elements, thereby limiting the possibilities of scenarios (villians, plot devices, locations, cross-overs etc) - ESPECIALLY his relationship with Green Lantern (and to a lesser extent Batman)
- Black Canary, if
- No means of resolving the death-of-GA arc
- No Green Arrow JR

And, most importantly:
- No hat
- No goatee (WTF?!)

I mean, it's not like they could (or necessarily should) implement everything from the comic-book canon, but GA as a character is a lot more linked to the DCU than archetypes like Superman. Ultimately, while (I begrudgingly accept) it's decent in it's own right, it just doesn't feel like Green Arrow. With minor cosmetic changes, it could just as easily be "Hawkeye: The TV Show" (and they'd rename the character to just "Hawk") or "lo-tech Ironman" or "Batman: but with arrows or some shit". Too gritty-reboot / apologetically related to it's source material.

All my opinion really boils down to is obsessive fan-wank, but, despite that, I'm genuinely amazed it has an 8.5 on IMDb. At best it's just a less effective rehash of Batman Begins, with added teen-drama elements. Ignoring it's connection to the comic-books, I'd give it a 6.0 at most.

Has anyone else seen it?

DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-11-08 09:39:55 Reply

Up to date with The Walking Dead now. Season three's looking far superior to the second season right now. Hopefully they'll keep the high standard up.

Buying some box-sets for myself for Christmas soon. Looking at:

Brotherhood - The Complete Collection
Survivors - The Complete Collection
Father Ted - The Complete Collection
The Mentalist - Season Four
Terra Nova - The Complete Series
Alcatraz - The Complete Series
Scrubs - The Complete Collection

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-11-18 06:53:56 Reply

I watched all of The Legend Of Korra recently. It's really unbelievably good for a kids show. I never watched the original Avatar, but it was easy to get into anyway. I can see why the franchise is such a phenomenon.

I also started watching Ulysses 31, this '80s anime retelling of The Odyssey, set in space with lasers and jetpacks and beards and stuff. It's pretty awesome in a crappy, nostalgic sense, but the premise is a lot better than the delivery. Really deserves a modern remake.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-11-18 07:36:06 Reply

At 11/8/12 09:39 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Survivors - The Complete Collection

Terry Nation's original or the remake? Remake is okay, original is a classic.

Father Ted - The Complete Collection

Not a bad episode in the entire series. Superb.

Terra Nova - The Complete Series

Cancelled just as it got interesting.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-03 11:05:17 Reply

At 11/8/12 09:39 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Buying some box-sets for myself for Christmas soon.

Decided to go with the complete series of Brotherhood, The Mentalist - Season 4 and The complete series 1-6 of Oz.
Heard great things about the last one and can't wait to get into it.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-03 12:09:50 Reply

This current season has been some of the best TV in ages. Sons of Anarchy and Boardwalk Empire were both superb. Boardwalk Empire in particular, season 3 has elevated it from a great series to a contender for all time classic. Gyp is one of the most compelling villains I've ever seen.

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-03 20:24:17 Reply

I've never finished The Office (US). It's definitely much better than the UK version of the show.

God, Catherine Kate though. I hate her so much. I hated her on Doctor Who and I hate her on The Office. Why do people keep casting her? She's instantly dislikeable. I hated her from the first moment she was on-screen on Doctor Who. I heard she completely ruins The Office. Fortunately I'm only on the second episode she's in.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-03 20:25:51 Reply

At 12/3/12 08:24 PM, Jolly wrote: I've never finished

fuck

I've almost finished*

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-10 17:57:31 Reply

I just finished the latest Walking Dead. It's so frustrating because the whole show has all this promise and yet it's consistently hindered by bad dialogue, unbelievable characterisation and an annoying tendency to direct the narrative to the easiest possible conclusion. Half the time I want to punch the air at how awesome it is; the other half I just want to punch the showrunners.

On the plus-side, Tyreese is finally introduced, which is good news.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-12 04:05:33 Reply

At 12/3/12 08:24 PM, Jolly wrote: I've never finished The Office (US). It's definitely much better than the UK version of the show.

God, Catherine Kate though. I hate her so much. I hated her on Doctor Who and I hate her on The Office. Why do people keep casting her? She's instantly dislikeable. I hated her from the first moment she was on-screen on Doctor Who. I heard she completely ruins The Office. Fortunately I'm only on the second episode she's in.

In future episodes, she's not as annoying, but yeah, I feel ya. Same deal with Will Ferrell. He was cool for a while, but I eventually got annoyed with his character, too.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-29 18:56:46 Reply

First season of Party Down for Christmas. Second isn't out in the UK, fortunately.

I really hope the film adaptation comes to fruition. At the moment it feels rather too good to be true.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-29 19:03:38 Reply

At 12/29/12 06:56 PM, SG3 wrote: Second isn't out in the UK, fortunately.

*Unfortunately

The second season is just as good as the first.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2012-12-29 19:07:13 Reply

At 12/29/12 07:03 PM, SG3 wrote:
At 12/29/12 06:56 PM, SG3 wrote: Second isn't out in the UK, fortunately.
*Unfortunately

The second season is just as good as the first.

It's a superb series, isn't it? Don't think there's a single bad episode.

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-01-24 07:12:05 Reply

At 12/10/12 05:57 PM, SG3 wrote: I just finished the latest Walking Dead. It's so frustrating because the whole show has all this promise and yet it's consistently hindered by bad dialogue, unbelievable characterisation and an annoying tendency to direct the narrative to the easiest possible conclusion. Half the time I want to punch the air at how awesome it is; the other half I just want to punch the showrunners.

The show has lost it's plot in my opinion and started to look down. I hope they do better soon because the first season rocked.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-02-11 12:55:34 Reply

Community returned last Friday. It was pretty enjoyable, but not a stand-out episode. I did enjoy Abed's happy place within a happy place, though.

Any opinions on the new season?

Dan Harmon
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-02-16 08:49:08 Reply

So, I recently finished up the fourth season of The Mentalist. Despite the same-ish storylines and overall repetitiveness, the show keeps me coming back. Bought the Father Ted box-set the other day so I'll get into that at some point. Also, need to start watching Oz ASAP since I've wanted to see it for a while.

Also, started an Amazon wish list of the shows I want to own. Far to broke to buy them at the minute but I'll probably pick them up as the year progresses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/1CV7V22OREX2G/ref=
cm_wl_rlist_go_o_C-2

Also, The Walking Dead's back for us in the UK. Missed the new episode last night due to work but I'll get around to watching it this weekend. Without spoiling anything for me, how was it?

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-02-17 00:20:05 Reply

I finished the first season of American Horror Story a few days. It's an amazing miniseries, if you'd consider it that. (The second season is a completely different story than the first) Probably one of my favorite shows ever now.

The second season seems a bit dumb, not sure if I'm going to watch it.

YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-02-18 01:25:42 Reply

My favourites so far:

Man Vs Wild
Simpsons
Family Guy
Pokemon (all generations)
Mythbusters
Disney Channel (I mean, who doesn't like Disney??)
The Mentalist

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud || mypsychedelicfantasy - Tumblr
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
UVSoaked
UVSoaked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Artist
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-02-18 10:21:54 Reply

My favourites:
Simpsons (Seasons 2-12)
Seinfeld
Community
Workaholics
Scrubs
Survivorman
Mantracker
American Dad!
MXC

That's all I can think of right now. ;) Started to rewatch Scrubs though, already in the middle of season 3.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-02-28 19:52:20 Reply

Started watching me some X files, never seen the show before. Dat theme song. It's like every note rattles your very soul.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to TV Series Crew 2013-02-28 19:54:04 Reply

At 2/28/13 07:52 PM, Jackho wrote: Started watching me some X files, never seen the show before. Dat theme song. It's like every note rattles your very soul.

It's REALLY good, at least until around season 6, and even beyond that some of the monster of the week stuff is good. Mytharc goes batshit insane and abandons any sort of logic after the episode "One Son", though.

BBS Signature