Be a Supporter!
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Killing children? 2012-05-01 07:51:31 Reply

Am I the only one tired of them not including children that you can treat like any other NPC in GTA? Even worse is when a game like Skyrim or Fallout and you can't kill them without mods.

It breaks the damn immersion to be the baddest dude around and still not be able to harm a small child. People are worried about it being offensive, but most people that would buy those games anyways won't get butthurt about it. Killing polygons that look like aliens is no different than killing polygons that looks like a little kid.

Killing children?


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 08:26:05 Reply

You know, this crap has always baffled me. If you make a game with violence, that it should really be violent without restrictions. I mean, as far as I remember, you can dissect limbs with a really good shot in Fallout 3/New Vegas. It pretty much more violent and killing a child in-game.

And like you said, the purchasers wouldn't really get butthurt about child death in a game. Still, it should stay this way, otherwise activists will go all "videogames endorse child murder" and all that crap.

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 08:42:51 Reply

I would never even want to kill a kid if I was able to, but when I know they're invincible I don't feel even a tiny bit bad for beating the shit out of them. It's really just like they aren't people when they can't be hurt.
I like it when a game has characters that I actually feel bad about dying or when something bad happens to them.

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 08:43:47 Reply

If GTA was to include children in their game, I can imagine that a huge shit storm would follow. Some people already think that GTA games are too extreme, so adding kids to the mix is never going to end well. Although the GTA series is known for having used bad publicity to sell their games, so it would probably work in their favour. I'm not sure why developers choose to do this. I guess it's just too morally questionable for them. I dunno.

Although thinking about the publicity thing, we all know the press like to attribute violent video games as the reason people kill, so imagine how much hatred would hit the VG community every time they link a child killing to the fact that the murderer at some point played this GTA game.

I just don't think it would be in the industries favour to put kids in games like that.

Oh, also this.


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
IrishGun
IrishGun
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 11:12:33 Reply

In older games like Deus Ex and Fallout 2 you can literally blow kids to pieces. In the Hong Kong levels in Deus Ex one of the mobs' leaders even comments on a certain kid's death if you kill him.

I'm not trying to sound like a "I hate kids because I am dark and edgy and filled with a hateful soul" kind of guy, but I really don't see why they did away with the option to kill kids in games. It was pretty annoying in Fallout 2 when kids would pickpocket and steal your items or in Deus Ex when they threatened and insulted you, but luckily you were able to do something about it. It's pretty jarring in Skyrim or New Vegas or what have you when some kid's being a knob and there's nothing you can do about it. Like, not even a dialogue option to tell them to be quiet or something.

Like you said there's not really a difference between killing a bunch of pixels that look like a kid and killing a bunch of pixels that look like anything or anyone else, so I don't get why it matters. Games that don't allow you to kill kids (which is most of them) aren't really any worse off for it, though.


#sweg
#huzzledongs
#sweg

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 12:11:31 Reply

Adding kids in GTA would mean some thousands of videos on youtube with pedophile jokes.I don't think something else would change seriously.GTA I don't think people would find it better because of more realism or worse for making more sick


Bitte Nazi mods keine bannerino, weil ich ein Nazi Schwein als ihr bin. Danke schön!

deathink
deathink
  • Member since: Aug. 4, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 12:12:05 Reply

At 5/1/12 07:51 AM, Cootie wrote: Am I the only one tired of them not including children that you can treat like any other NPC in GTA? Even worse is when a game like Skyrim or Fallout and you can't kill them without mods.

It breaks the damn immersion to be the baddest dude around and still not be able to harm a small child. People are worried about it being offensive, but most people that would buy those games anyways won't get butthurt about it. Killing polygons that look like aliens is no different than killing polygons that looks like a little kid.

yeah, I don't get it, you can rape murder steal, but all of a sudden whenit comes to kids they have a moral compass. heck in fallout you can trick the kids and self them in to sexual slavery... but don't kill them! just play this http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307


"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 15:59:28 Reply

it will kinda bother me that the fact that you might be able to kill kids in games it bothered me in that one part on mw3 where that kid blew up from that truck


"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 16:14:53 Reply

Most adults (especially parents) consider children to be sacred.

So putting them as NPCs in violent/sexual games would be an outrage to many.

I'm guessing that to you children are stupid inferior little shits, but maybe someday you'll see things differently.

Still, I'd like to have children in those games purely for the sake of realism.

And occasionally run them over for the lulz.
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 16:15:01 Reply

At 5/1/12 12:12 PM, deathink wrote: yeah, I don't get it, you can rape

I don't think theres any games where you can rape. I'm not really sure about it to be honest, it doesn't really seem right. Unless they're annoying.

Right, I'm fine with it but the kids have to be as annoying as fuck.


DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 17:47:18 Reply

At 5/1/12 04:14 PM, Painbringer wrote: Most adults (especially parents) consider children to be sacred.

Polygons are polygons. I can think of quite a few movies where children have gotten their asses murdered.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-01 18:55:24 Reply

I would rather not â~»


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Idocreating
Idocreating
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-02 18:00:41 Reply

At 5/1/12 08:43 AM, Dean wrote: I just don't think it would be in the industries favour to put kids in games like that.

Agree with most of your points Dean, but Skyrim is an exception for me. If Bethesda didn't want me murdering those kids, they shouldn't have made them such utter massive cunts.

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-02 21:29:34 Reply

Because thats media bait for ignorant Presumptious assholes to talk to Merica about how your kid is killing children in GTA10. The closest thing to killing children (technically) I recall DEAD SPACE 2, so there's that.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-02 23:41:16 Reply

It's one of those things you've just got to put up with. Even if I understand your point there's not really any good way to argue for killing kids in video games without sounding like a fucking psycho to anyone who isn't a gamer.


Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-03 00:13:21 Reply

I'm in agreement with Dean, adding kids in something like GTA is only going to add fuel to the fire of all of the anti-gaming lunatics out there. Considering how much vitriol there is against the VG community as is by lazy soccermoms and frivolous lawyers who are generally hucksters in real life, trying to push the envelope any more than what were doing right now might be damaging to the industry, not to mention they would be opening a Pandora's box of ideas of morally questionable content down the road, {i.e. having a character blow up a church or a mosque because it's a possible terrorist base.}

Even in popular fiction, there are just some lines you shouldn't cross, because while there really isn't much they can't do in terms of murder, ultra-violence and even sex, something like killing kids just so happens to be one of them.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-03 03:11:10 Reply

Aside from controversy its probably for money reasons too

Countries like Australia (as much as I don't want to admit it) and Germany would probably ban the games or something and the companies might not be prepared for that and might not want to bother making an edited version for those countries or something


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-03 12:14:45 Reply

Even in movies it's only slowly starting to stop being a taboo.

I mean before Pan's Labyrinth, I hadn't seen many movies where a kid dies. Maybe one day it will cease being a taboo in movies, then in video games. Sincerely, I can't think of a game where you can kill children, except The Sims.

cheese654
cheese654
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-03 17:16:28 Reply

Skyrim is a game where you can decapitate NPCs and strip them naked. Killing children may not be a big deal, but headless half-naked children are questionable.


BBS Signature
camobch0
camobch0
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-03 20:41:20 Reply

I think it's probably more damaging to my mind that I stab and shoot kids for a half hour because they won't just die than if I just shot them once, they died, and I felt bad so I didn't do it again.


A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
Balazeal
Balazeal
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Killing children? 2012-05-03 22:23:50 Reply

At 5/3/12 08:41 PM, camobch0 wrote: I think it's probably more damaging to my mind that I stab and shoot kids for a half hour because they won't just die than if I just shot them once, they died, and I felt bad so I didn't do it again.

It's a real immersion breaker. It's not so much that I want to go and virtually slaughter a bunch of children, but more that it's a real disconnect when you say, play Fallout 3 and fire off a fat-man in Megaton only to have a bunch of little children run out from under the mushroom cloud.