00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favourite way of meeting people?

1,686 Views | 26 Replies

Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 03:45:50

So I've decided I need some new people in my life. I've been making pleasing progress already; I've been going out more, reconnecting with old friends and been more open to social activities and opportunities. It's not going poorly by any account but it's gotten me curious and interested in other ideas, so what kind of things do you like to do to meet new people? Sporting events, social clubs, dating websites? Let us know!

And don't say bars and clubs because the most likely situation there is getting drunk and thinking people are awesome then realising later when you're sober or when you meet them again that wait no they're not they were just drunk too.

And yes, aware of the irony in asking social questions from a typically anti-social bunch.

also eastern suburbs sydney, hit me up sidneeeeeeee

I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 03:51:52

university

the few parties i go to

church

that's it

G O D - B L E S S - A F R I C A

LAST.FM

CROWNED CHAMPION OF "FAPITUDE" BY BEARDKILLER

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 03:53:13

What kind of things are you interested in? If it's internet stuff, go to those con meetups, if it's working out, get a gym membership and start hanging out with a few people. Hang out around people with similar interests, you'll find some of your best friends that way.

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 04:01:24

Call random people from the phone book. You will meet new people and save the time of traveling.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 04:13:58

well you meet the most colorful types of people in my line of work...
and on the bus and train
i prefer the internet though

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 04:19:07

At 5/1/12 03:51 AM, SKHM wrote: university

the few parties i go to

church

Yeah, school/uni is such a good place to meet people since you're pretty much forced to regularly see a whole bunch of 'em! Such a shame I'm past all that. : ( House parties are one of my favourite things as well and I can see how church could work but wow I never would have picked you for a church goer. Thought you were a badass mutha ucka. Really learning how wrong my perceptions of NGers have been lately...

At 5/1/12 03:53 AM, Chocomilk wrote: What kind of things are you interested in? If it's internet stuff, go to those con meetups, if it's working out, get a gym membership and start hanging out with a few people. Hang out around people with similar interests, you'll find some of your best friends that way.

True beans, similar interests are a great way of creating a connection. Already doing the gym thing too. ; )

At 5/1/12 03:55 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Concerts. I've connected with some people at concerts and a few times I randomly saw people I knew from school.

Really? Concerts? I'm a big fan of concerts but I've never thought of them as potential meeting grounds. Always been there for the band/s.

Friends of friends. Probably the easiest way. Plus they like your friend so you'll probably get along too.

Yeah, this is a big one I've been doing lately. Almost makes me feel guilty, as if I'm using them to increase my number of friends. Oh well. I'd do the same for them.

My favorite ways would probably be through school and friends of friends. Though I have very few true friends that I'd make any effort to hang out with. Then I have friends that I'll talk to/hang out with when it happens but no strong desire. Then people I like that I see sometimes. The rest are acquaintances. I bother to make an effort for very few people. I don't need much attention irl and I am very picky and need to feel really comfortable around the person which is more of an immediate feeling of clicking or not rather than building any intimacy.

O_O

Wow. Until lately I've been very, very similar. Almost identical. But even though some of that is changing I don't think meeting new people is going to increase my need for attention (or lack of). I've been picky about who I befriend because I have really high moral standards... maybe even too high. I tend to look down on people for doing things I see as wrong, especially when they don't have any remorse for it, and it puts me off talking to them.

Anyway.

</diary entry>

At 5/1/12 04:01 AM, satanbrain wrote: Call random people from the phone book. You will meet new people and save the time of traveling.

Or maybe just piss people off/creep them out and accrue a massive phone bill.

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 04:24:43

At 5/1/12 04:13 AM, tox wrote: well you meet the most colorful types of people in my line of work...

Sounds interesting... elaborate?

and on the bus and train

Yeah, but the colourful types there are like that because of the vomit they wear and are too wasted to fix themselves up. Or are total creeps. Really don't like the majority of public transport goers...

i prefer the internet though

The net can be good for meeting people, but I'm more looking for irl which is a bit trickier to pull off online. Unless I start adding every local I see on Facebook. Would make me feel like such a creeper though... : /

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 04:25:49

Meetups!

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 12:18:12

Once I met a dude with the same intests at a bus. It was a cool way of meeting people, because it was a suprise when just sitting there and yeah... I did not expect it.

Mostly, I meet people at my school/town, but people in other cities is cool or countries.

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-01 15:02:06

At 5/1/12 03:45 AM, FIGMENTUM wrote: And don't say bars and clubs because the most likely situation there is getting drunk and thinking people are awesome then realising later when you're sober or when you meet them again that wait no they're not they were just drunk too.

Extremely important. You probably wouldn't buy a toaster while drunk, because it might... i don't know, toast wrongly or something, but the majority of people would go to a bar, get piss drunk and believe they've found the significant other of their lives.
Kids: do not do this. Not even once.
The same should apply to making friends, you are absolutely right.

As for my favourite way of meeting people, i'd say... Slowly. If you set out with the specific objective "I SHALL MAKE A FRIEND TODAY", it'll probably backfire. Not as spectacularly as "in a bar", but pretty close.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-02 00:05:26

At 5/1/12 12:05 PM, Alisbet wrote: How about a cruise ship? That certainly sounds like fun.

I've always wanted to do a cruise. I spend a lot of my time on the water as it is though so it's not always an enticing prospect to get back out there haha.

At 5/1/12 03:02 PM, C-Hawk wrote: You probably wouldn't buy a toaster while drunk, because it might... i don't know, toast wrongly or something, but the majority of people would go to a bar, get piss drunk and believe they've found the significant other of their lives.

I tried to buy a toaster from someone at a bar once. Now I only have 7 fingers.

As for my favourite way of meeting people, i'd say... Slowly. If you set out with the specific objective "I SHALL MAKE A FRIEND TODAY", it'll probably backfire. Not as spectacularly as "in a bar", but pretty close.

Haha, going into anything with that kind of blind foolhardiness is always gonna end badly. Patience and due car are beautiful things.

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-02 00:13:27

School

Xbox Live

Biking

That's pretty much it. I like being able to talk to people not just through text, so plain ol' internet is iffy

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-02 00:18:42

I tend to go to bars and start conversations.

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-02 02:29:38

At 5/2/12 12:13 AM, TruBluFoxx wrote:
Xbox Live

You call that meeting people? I can understand communicating with friends but actually meeting people on there?

You are reading this

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-02 04:41:16

The internet.

My power is the only power.

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2012-05-02 06:05:48

At 5/2/12 12:13 AM, TruBluFoxx wrote: Biking

How do you go meeting people biking? Do you just ride around until you see someone else on a bike, make small talk and follow them around until they agree to be your friend?

At 5/2/12 04:58 AM, Aci6 wrote: You can also join groups like martial arts groups, gym groups, book meetings... that sort of stuff.

Book groups could be fun... but then I'd kind of need to read more haha. I don't have a very diverse knowledge of literature so even though I find readers to generally be interesting people I wouldn't have much of a foundation to relate with. : (

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 01:28:57

I prefer meeting (business) people through trade fairs/exhibitions.

Hi, I'm Eri! Loving Management, Office, Kissing and Escape Games. Working for MyHub, an intranet provider from New Zealand.

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 02:05:51

my favorite way to meet people is to barricade myself in my apartment and avoid going out anytime between 7am and 11pm

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 02:25:11

School/Uni. Either you meet people or spend your time alone, depressed, and stressed.

Online multiplayer games that require you to cooperate with people. Although sometimes they're shitty people who backstab you.

Pokemon Go. Literally, this shit forces you to meet people.

Going for walks. Don't recommend going alone, though.

Meeting up with friends' friends. Parties, weddings, etc., as long as you're welcome, so to speak. Met more people at that last wedding than I thought possible. Pretty fun. Some exchanged contact details.

Go to book stores/clubs, coffee shops, game stores, and any other places people frequent. Usually you'll find someone friendly, and if you have a shared interest, bingo.

Bottom line, don't be discouraged. Keep putting yourself out there and you'll find kindred spirits.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 04:24:05

by breaking into their houses and introducing myself via a note

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 08:50:59

Anonymous adult bookstore gloryholes is probably the best way to find a SO.

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 12:20:51

I usually just stare at them for several minutes trying to think of something to say, Only for them to realize that I've been staring at them for almost 10 minutes.

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 14:15:07

friends are overrated

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 16:57:03

I missed going to parties back in the university days...

Now i'm 25 and it's so hard to meet new people, specially when living abroad (i live in Denmark).
Society surely has changed and it's not so easy to meet new people "in the park" by saying hello, like our parents keep telling us.

I'd love to make some friendships here, and hopefully even a romantic relationship, but despite going out very often i still have no idea how to meet new people in the city.

It's sad but true, after university it becomes very hard to make new friends.

BBS Signature

At 7/9/17 02:25 AM, EDM364 wrote:
Going for walks. Don't recommend going alone, though.

Sorry but i fail to see how going for walks might help you meet people.
Going out walking is literally my favourite hobby other than animating on the computer, but most of the people i see are either running or minding their own business.
They don't seem like they want to be disturbed.

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 17:03:09

At 7/9/17 04:59 PM, OrangeWedge wrote: Sorry but i fail to see how going for walks might help you meet people.
Going out walking is literally my favourite hobby other than animating on the computer, but most of the people i see are either running or minding their own business.
They don't seem like they want to be disturbed.

I suppose it depends on where you live and where you walk. I live in the South. Everyone here just sort of greets everyone and converses. Sometimes you make a friend. It also depends on if you look approachable, too.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Favourite way of meeting people? 2017-07-09 17:22:42

At 7/9/17 04:57 PM, OrangeWedge wrote: I missed going to parties back in the university days...

Now i'm 25 and it's so hard to meet new people, specially when living abroad (i live in Denmark).
Society surely has changed and it's not so easy to meet new people "in the park" by saying hello, like our parents keep telling us.

I'd love to make some friendships here, and hopefully even a romantic relationship, but despite going out very often i still have no idea how to meet new people in the city.

It's sad but true, after university it becomes very hard to make new friends.

It honestly feels weird, but despite the fact that you can communicate with anyone in the comfort of your own home online, you kind of feel more isolated now than ever before. It feels even weirder because of the fact that going online is a requirement now, it isn't like back in 2003 where the internet was optional for most people and social media was still an afterthought and willingly sharing lots of personal info was considered a "what not to do".