New Topic Respond to this Topic
AirborneUnicorn
AirborneUnicorn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help Apr. 29th, 2012 @ 09:55 PM Reply

I am working on a game for android, and am in the need of graphics, but having never worked with 8 bit art before, I thought I would come here with all of you creative people. Anyways, it is an aviation-based game and I need a cockpit for the aircraft (An F-16C Block 52). I have drawn my inspiration from the GameBoy Advance Majesco games like F/A-18 Super Hornet, F-14 Tomcat, and the F-24 Stealth Fighter, so I wanted the art style to sort of similar.
In short, I want to change the attached image to a style more like that of this: http://s.uvlist.net/l/y2010/08/73667.jpg
Could someone tell me how to go about doing such a task?

Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help Apr. 29th, 2012 @ 10:48 PM Reply

At 4/29/12 09:55 PM, AirborneUnicorn wrote: Could someone tell me how to go about doing such a task?

Well, the Gameboy Advance was 32-bit, meaning that it had much higher graphic capabilities than the original Gameboy.
So to translate something into a a Gameboy style, you'd really have to strip down the graphics a lot, really minimal style.
Also, the original Gameboy wasn't much in terms of colour, only really worked in a monochromatic scale.

Halvgoeden
Halvgoeden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 06:55 PM Reply

There are three main things to consider when doing this type of low resolution/retro pixel artwork:

- palette
- resolution
- display

Palette
Determine what your game's available palette will be. We're not talking art direction yet, but total available colors.

Check out this Wikipedia article on game console palettes for reference.

As you can see in the article, Original Game Boy has a very limited 2-bit palette (4 shades of black!), while Game Boy Advance has a larger 15-bit palette.

Try to select a palette that will make sense with the resolution you choose:

Resolution
Resolution in this context means the screen's pixel dimensions, or your game's target simulated pixel dimensions.

Here is a small list of assorted common resolutions. You can see that DOS and SNES games offered very few pixels for detail.

Once you have decided on these things, the rest is up to your artistic expression. Open up a new raster document in the image editor of your choosing, set the dimensions to your desired resolution, arrange your usable palette, and start drawing! :) Make sure to stay in 72dpi when using Photoshop.

Display
I'm not familiar enough with Android development to know specifics, but you need to find a way to display your graphics using a specific scaling algorithm so that they will fill the screen without bleeding and anti-aliasing, messing up your nice pixel art work. In Photoshop, this scaling algorithm is called "nearest neighbor." Look up "nearest neighbor scaling" for Android and see what you can find.

Furthermore, Android devices vary drastically, so cheat a little and add some bleed detail on your images so things don't get cropped.

Make sure to check out some pixel art tutorials, especially on dithering. Good luck!

AirborneUnicorn
AirborneUnicorn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 4/29/12 10:48 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 4/29/12 09:55 PM, AirborneUnicorn wrote: Could someone tell me how to go about doing such a task?
Well, the Gameboy Advance was 32-bit, meaning that it had much higher graphic capabilities than the original Gameboy.
So to translate something into a a Gameboy style, you'd really have to strip down the graphics a lot, really minimal style.
Also, the original Gameboy wasn't much in terms of colour, only really worked in a monochromatic scale.

I thought that the GBA had a 15-bit color palette? But yeah, I guess if would provide the best results to rebuild the image in that format.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 4/30/12 06:58 PM, AirborneUnicorn wrote:
I thought that the GBA had a 15-bit color palette? But yeah, I guess if would provide the best results to rebuild the image in that format.

Yes, the GBA had that, but do you want the original Gameboy or the GBA? You seemed to be asking about the original, especially with the title.

AirborneUnicorn
AirborneUnicorn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

Thank you Halvgoeden, for so much information! Once I choose the colors for the palette I can really get work then. Android displays are quite flexible, so I don't think that will be too much of a problem. Again, you're advice really helps, as I am a programmer, not an artist. Thanks.

AirborneUnicorn
AirborneUnicorn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Gameboy 8 Bit Art Help Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 4/30/12 08:23 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 4/30/12 06:58 PM, AirborneUnicorn wrote:
I thought that the GBA had a 15-bit color palette? But yeah, I guess it would provide the best results to rebuild the image in that format.
Yes, the GBA had that, but do you want the original Gameboy or the GBA? You seemed to be asking about the original, especially with the title.

Yes, I'm sorry. I realized the title was probably a poor choice. But I'm leaning toward GBA right now, Although I do need to be somewhat original.