New Topic Respond to this Topic
ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 21:37:37 Reply

Hmm I think I just used the word "artistic" wrong... This picture isn't meant to be one those Da Vinci or Botticelli paintings where the nudity is truly only for artistic purpose.. If you know what I mean, should be obvious though, my painting is not a fine art painting >_>

I asked if it wasn't artistic enough because I wondered if the quality of the line art and painting is still too low for newgrounds.. I mean come on, TheShadling's art isn't meant to be for truly an artistic purpose, as well.. I'm saying this because you guys make it seem like that his cartoons are being "artistic nudity" the way Botticelli's paintings are "artistic nude"...
But yea TheShadling's details ARE awesome..

And yea I know that sexappeal isn't just cloths off >_>

but my forearms don't lose half their mass between elbow and wrist- more like a third at the thinnest point, which is not how yours are viewed.

Okay okay, I get what you mean now xD Yea.. didn't put too much attention to that D:

But seriously though people... How on earth can you even compare this to TheShadling? You're comparing an amatuer to well, a professional :c

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 21:46:07 Reply

At the angle she is holding her lower foot, shouldnt there be a fold in the leather boot?

Sorry i meant at the angle she is holding her lower LEG.

BBS Signature
ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 22:04:17 Reply

At 4/30/12 09:35 PM, Luwano wrote:
Hello ChocolateKitteh :)

Hello Luwano :3

Welcome on board!

Thank you^^

You're the first person who is giving me a detailed critique on my painting which I really apperiacte :3
First of all, yes I know that all the critique wasn't meant personal or anything but yea, let me be honest, I sometimes do get too emotional on some things..

The close your eyes and open it is a good tecnique, thanks for the tipp c: However, I still wouldn't know how to keep less focus on the torch other than blurring the background a little more but that would cause a lot more loss of detail :S So.. I don't know what to do there...

As for the length of the arms.. Now that you mention it.. It somehow makes me think of a monkey D: And for the symmetry.. Yea I noticed that while drawing that the arms and legs just don't have the same lenght.. But that was when I was already done with the lineart.. So I had to redraw everything since I'm not really good at editing pictures on the computer.. Got any tutorials for that as well? :/
And yup there had to be a fold >_<

And thanks a lot, no it didn't discourage me :)
I'll practice my anatomy :3 Thanks for the links c: But are there also a few female bodies in the first link? o: I tend to draw more women than men, you know :) And for the second link... Isn't that a website that shows you how to improve your skills in webdesigning...? o:

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 22:11:47 Reply

Focal point is an art term referring to the one point where all the compositional elements lead your eye. It's kind of the center of a piece of art, just not the literal center- the part where the eye goes first and foremost. There's a nice explanation here- though i wish the author had chosen a less symmetrical example, because putting your focal point in the dead center of symmetrical composition usually makes for a boring work of art (unless you're leonardo).

As far as your piece goes, Kitteh, I'm not positive where the focal point is? I think it's the upper girl's tits, where you've got the contrast of the light skin against the black of her corset thingy plus the arms which lead the eye inward towards the tits, but the groin has a similar combination of lead lines and contrast.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 22:21:50 Reply

Oops. Looks like lu already covered focal points while I was trying to persuade my internet connection to behave. Anyway, this is the link luwano mean to post for the second thing- http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php . There's also this, this, and this you might find helpful.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 22:27:02 Reply

At 4/30/12 10:21 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Oops. Looks like lu already covered focal points while I was trying to persuade my internet connection to behave. Anyway, this is the link luwano mean to post for the second thing- http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php . There's also this, this, and this you might find helpful.

Aaah :) Yes, thank you c:

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 22:28:26 Reply

At 4/30/12 10:04 PM, ChocolateKitteh wrote:
At 4/30/12 09:35 PM, Luwano wrote:
You're the first person who is giving me a detailed critique on my painting which I really apperiacte :3

You are welcome if course, but I did pick up some things Ephyse, lovingthedark and big-jonny-13 already mentioned before. :)

The close your eyes and open it is a good tecnique, thanks for the tipp c: However, I still wouldn't know how to keep less focus on the torch other than blurring the background a little more but that would cause a lot more loss of detail :S So.. I don't know what to do there...

I think Ephyse gave a good example for that. By making the lights in the background "shine" more you relatively lower te contrast to the wall (which is now affected by highlights and thus a little brighter) so the torch doesn't stand out that much anymore.

As for the length of the arms.. Now that you mention it.. It somehow makes me think of a monkey D: And for the symmetry.. Yea I noticed that while drawing that the arms and legs just don't have the same lenght.. But that was when I was already done with the lineart.. So I had to redraw everything since I'm not really good at editing pictures on the computer.. Got any tutorials for that as well? :/

I am not sure. So you are drawing lineart with pencil first, ink it and then scan it? If so, then I can't help you except for the tip: Only ink when your lines are 100% done. :P

When you are working digitally, then save working copies and make use of layers. That way you can easily go back when you realize that you made something wrong.

And thanks a lot, no it didn't discourage me :)
I'll practice my anatomy :3 Thanks for the links c: But are there also a few female bodies in the first link? o: I tend to draw more women than men, you know :) And for the second link... Isn't that a website that shows you how to improve your skills in webdesigning...? o:

The first one should allow you to choose models, poses and their perspectives. The second link was incomplete, sorry. Here is the (hopefully) correct one: http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

BBS Signature
ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-04-30 22:41:56 Reply

At 4/30/12 10:28 PM, Luwano wrote: I think Ephyse gave a good example for that. By making the lights in the background "shine" more you relatively lower te contrast to the wall (which is now affected by highlights and thus a little brighter) so the torch doesn't stand out that much anymore.

Yea, true o: c:

I am not sure. So you are drawing lineart with pencil first, ink it and then scan it? If so, then I can't help you except for the tip: Only ink when your lines are 100% done. :P

When you are working digitally, then save working copies and make use of layers. That way you can easily go back when you realize that you made something wrong.

I draw the lineart first with pencil and then I scan it to redraw the lineart with the Paths tool in Photoshop, so I mostly just concentrate on getting the lines exactly traced with that Paths tool o: So yea maybe I should just scan it when I'm 100% sure :/

The first one should allow you to choose models, poses and their perspectives. The second link was incomplete, sorry. Here is the (hopefully) correct one: http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

Ah I found the different panels now c: Yes, it's the correct one, thank you :)

HotCakes
HotCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 01:21:39 Reply

that is hot

BBS Signature
ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 09:18:49 Reply

Okay, here's an anatomy study, I didn't traced it yet, so I can still erase lines and such.
I used this maniac turned a little to the side.

Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 10:16:05 Reply

Blackmist has a point. There's a fine point between the...eh, "artistic" nudity and the "I want to create some boners" nudity. And yours is hardly the former.

A boner IS art.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 10:28:39 Reply

At 5/1/12 10:16 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
Blackmist has a point. There's a fine point between the...eh, "artistic" nudity and the "I want to create some boners" nudity. And yours is hardly the former.
A boner IS art.

I'm starting to question the meaning of art that is objectionable .

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 12:44:45 Reply

At 5/1/12 10:28 AM, argile wrote:

You probably don't want to look at Anti-art then.

ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 18:06:49 Reply

Can someone please look over my anatomy study instead of discussing what art is and what not? -_-
For your information, generally you can just tell if it's art when it's somewhat interpretable :/

For example:
A can of soup in a supermarket is no art since it's just a can of soup in a supermarket which you might want to buy or not..
However, a can of soup can be art or well.. IS art when you say it's a symbol of today's consumer society and that we, for example, don't really care anymore if we cook a real meal or well, just eat can food :/

You can do that with my picture, as well. You can, for example, interpret that today's commercials want to show us that the perfect bodytype is a very slim with huge boobs or that today's marketing strategies or stragtegies making things more popular are just plainly based on sex. :/

There you have your definition of art >_>

Now back to my studies please! D:

ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 18:18:36 Reply

At 5/1/12 12:44 PM, M-Maher wrote:
At 5/1/12 10:28 AM, argile wrote:
You probably don't want to look at Anti-art then.

I never understood those people who say that what they're doing is "anti-art".. Since that makes it interpretable... which makes it art...
And yes, even wikipedia says in the last sentence of its article that anti-art IS art :/

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 18:52:45 Reply

Your study looks fantastic, keep it up. :)

ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-01 18:57:09 Reply

At 5/1/12 06:52 PM, pockets08 wrote: Your study looks fantastic, keep it up. :)

Thank you but anything I should change before I start tracing it? :3 There's no back when I traced it D: Ok almost.

But yea, after tracing it I'd like to try different shades with light c:

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-02 14:19:08 Reply

At 5/1/12 06:18 PM, ChocolateKitteh wrote:
I never understood those people who say that what they're doing is "anti-art".. Since that makes it interpretable... which makes it art...
And yes, even wikipedia says in the last sentence of its article that anti-art IS art :/

The idea to weather it is or is not art is subjective to opinion.

as is everything, like your study witch is swell however needs a tad bit of meat on her bones, simply put: she's abit too thin to be human, or ad least a healthy one.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-05-02 17:24:14 Reply

At 5/1/12 09:18 AM, ChocolateKitteh wrote: Okay, here's an anatomy study, I didn't traced it yet, so I can still erase lines and such.
I used this maniac turned a little to the side.

Sweet. The head is a bit too big for her body and the elbows should end a little bit farther down, but otherwise I think you're pretty perfect.

I suppose I should mention that the ankles are super weird for a standing pose, but that's true of the your reference as well. I think the posemaniac was designed for drawing a woman in heels?

ChocolateKitteh
ChocolateKitteh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw 2012-06-11 22:20:47 Reply

Hello Newgrounds!
Was away for a while...

Erm I got kinda lazy with colouring that anatomy study to practice shading... so I thought "Screw it!" because I finally wanted to finish my other pictures, so I thought I could just use them for shading practice...
Here's the most recent one I made, it's one of my teddy cartoons (so prepare for a lot of mushiness) and so far the only teddy comic with an actual light source but it was therefore good for practicing shading, since the forms weren't very complicated as well (just 2 round circles with tiny plush bodies and some clouds)

Hello Newgrounds! :3 Nsfw