New Topic Respond to this Topic
Seattle1234
Seattle1234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Can somebody explain sidechaining Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM Reply

Can somebody explain sidechaining and also explain how it can be used usefully in a track?

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Can somebody explain sidechaining Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

Sidechaining is when you use the input of one instrument to compress another. Most often this is used in electronic music where the kick compresses the bass line, giving it that off beat bass "throbbing" sound.

It's often used to let the kick cut through the mix so it isn't fighting with the bass line for the lower frequency range.

As for a tutorial, there are hundreds of tutorials on how to do this all over the net, so I'm gonna let you find them for yourself... because frankly, they are really easy to find, and I don't know what program you're using, the method will differ slightly depending on what you use.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Can somebody explain sidechaining Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 10:26 PM Reply

At 4/27/12 10:23 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: It's often used to let the kick cut through the mix so it isn't fighting with the bass line for the lower frequency range.

Also, before someone jumps all over me... This isn't the only use, there are tons of uses for sidechaining to achieve various effects... The kick/bass line sidechaining is merely the most popular use.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Seattle1234
Seattle1234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Can somebody explain sidechaining Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 10:30 PM Reply

At 4/27/12 10:26 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 4/27/12 10:23 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: It's often used to let the kick cut through the mix so it isn't fighting with the bass line for the lower frequency range.
Also, before someone jumps all over me... This isn't the only use, there are tons of uses for sidechaining to achieve various effects... The kick/bass line sidechaining is merely the most popular use.

Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it. I sent you a PM, if you get a chance please look at it. Thanks again.