BBS Signature
Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 11:37 PM Reply

I wonder if the "My Fans" section will have our works statistics individually placed. By that, I mean Favorites.

Like, pre-2012 redesign, I used to (and enjoyed) being able to see who Favorited what. I can't do that anymore (well, not yet, anyhow). I liked being able to see what information.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
OptimisticOctopus
OptimisticOctopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 12:42 AM Reply

At 4/25/12 10:27 PM, daethdrain wrote: I hate the new favorites system. I like Marc. M for his music and his songs but he's not my favorite user. Neither are the various artist that are mixed up in there. Honestly I don't have a favorite user. It's just people whose certain work I enjoy. Now you won't know what I enjoy of them since it's all mixed up.
I'm also not looking toward to only being able to vote once on a submission.

This. Why is there an amalgamation of things you really like when there doesn't need to be? What's wrong with categories? They're organized. When your friend asks you what your favorite book is, you don't say Street Fighter 2. Simple is not ALWAYS better.

DrMackFoxx
DrMackFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 03:23 AM Reply

At 4/25/12 05:25 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 4/25/12 05:13 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 4/25/12 05:10 PM, DrMackFoxx wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what the "Entries Blammed Yesterday" stat is later when the system resets due too all those garbage games getting removed. XD Already, 1,667 entries have been deleted so far today as of this writing.
Except submissions deleted that way don't seem to count towards the blam number now. Look at yesterday's obituaries and then see how many it states were blammed.
Yes because it says BLAMMED now, meaning things blammed/removed under judgment are the only ones counted. This was different before this design since it said Deleted Yesterday which would count ALL submissions removed or deleted that day.

Ah, ha. Well, nonetheless, a grand total of 2,725 entries were removed in the last 24 hour cycle. Of those, 2,705 appear to have been shovelware deletions. Extermination completed. At least for now, I suspect.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: Right now you can click the little star icon in your header (next to the logout button) and view recent activity by people you have favorited...

I don't think it's working anymore :'(

At least mine isn't. I haven't gotten any new notifications since you made this post ...even though there has been new art uploaded and news posts made by users already on my list.

You can also click the fan count to view users who have favorited that artist.

I can't seem to rearrange the order of *some* of the artists I've hearted. For example, no matter where I move JohnnyUtah, 4, 14, 40... he refuses to leave the top 3. I mean, Jeff is great and all! And he totally deserves to be in the top 3... but only if I choose to put him there, not because his icon is being difficult! JEFF! gawd!! ;P

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 08:50 AM Reply

At 4/26/12 08:21 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: I can't seem to rearrange the order of *some* of the artists I've hearted. For example, no matter where I move JohnnyUtah, 4, 14, 40... he refuses to leave the top 3. I mean, Jeff is great and all! And he totally deserves to be in the top 3... but only if I choose to put him there, not because his icon is being difficult! JEFF! gawd!! ;P

I have the same problem, Renaenae is currently 3rd... 3RD!... how do i move her to the top :3

BBS Signature
Little-Rena
Little-Rena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 08:54 AM Reply

I have more fans tha I expected atleast, lol, also, it'll be nicer without so much shovelware.

ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: How it works now: You can favorite an artist from anywhere and they will appear on a single list of people you have favorited. We will likely change the terminology to something like "Follow", since you are really choosing to follow that person and receive updates about what they are doing.
Right now you can click the little star icon in your header (next to the logout button) and view recent activity by people you have favorited. We'll be making that info more prominent down the road.

That's actually really neat. I love that. Favorite is more than just a "derp favorite me" thing now, thanks!

Go favorite these guys to kick things off:
http://stamper.newgrounds.com/
http://mindchamber.newgrounds.com/
http://johnnyutah.newgrounds.com/
http://luis.newgrounds.com/

No, thank you.

You can click the pink heart in their userpage navbar. You can also click the fan count to view users who have favorited that artist.

We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware. Shovelware is a somewhat nebulous area on NG but if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV, chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted. The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Huh? I'm confused cause I thought this site was Everything by Everyone? The users apparently "saved" those games into the website so why are they being deleted? Cause they suck? That's super duper uncool bro. I hate seeing all these puzzle and dressup games as well but at what point are we gonna stick by our slogan?

ASK ME A QUESTION.

Ok, when is this damn delete button coming back!?

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 10:34 AM Reply

At 4/26/12 09:50 AM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: Huh? I'm confused cause I thought this site was Everything by Everyone? The users apparently "saved" those games into the website so why are they being deleted? Cause they suck? That's super duper uncool bro. I hate seeing all these puzzle and dressup games as well but at what point are we gonna stick by our slogan?

Think about it. If "Everything, by Everyone" was meant to be taken literally, why do we have a judgement filter at all?

The only reason those things got past the portal in the first place is because all the mindless savewhores voted them in for the points. No-one actually liked them for their own merits as games, and given how clogged the portal got at times with them, they were little different from spam submissions anyway.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 11:23 AM Reply

At 4/26/12 09:50 AM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: Huh? I'm confused cause I thought this site was Everything by Everyone? The users apparently "saved" those games into the website so why are they being deleted?Cause they suck? That's super duper uncool bro. I hate seeing all these puzzle and dressup games as well but at what point are we gonna stick by our slogan?

We still want content uploaded by everyone, just not mindless drones uploading shovelware to shamelessly advertise their websites and the such.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #10 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 12:16 PM Reply

I think it would be kinda cool if you had a system that sent you a list of your fav artists latest submissions to you PM box as well your email. I check my emails daily, but i check newgrounds like 3-4 times a day. I usually stay on top of what my fav peeps are up to, but i think itd be really cool to get some sort of pm system or maybe like a central update on your profile page, almost like facebook as to what your favorite people are up to. Especially for musicians, as that portal doesnt get more traffic i think than the others, its much harder to simply go on and see "oh hey, sorohanro uploaded a new song! I wanna check dat shiz" simply by looking at the portal page. Maybe daily bests would be cool for the audio portal as well, but i would reaally like to see the above mentioned. I get emailed my favs newest uploads but I think itd be cool to have it shown somewhere public. Like someone might see a fav list update on a different persons profile and think "oh hey i wanna check this out." . Just a thought :)

Mfan
Mfan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 11:48 PM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
UPDATE 2, no more flashes allowed by anyone who isn't already super duper cool and promotes newgrounds and sells out to us

new slogan , everything by the established circlejerking author society

Republican

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 01:17 AM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: UPDATE 1:

We just completed a change to the Favorites system!

Cool

I noticed the change a day or so ago, looks nifty, keep up the awasome work.

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Wavepad
Wavepad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 07:24 AM Reply

This new fan thing is awesome!

| Steam | Asandir is awesome he made my sig. |

BBS Signature
HotCakes
HotCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 09:36 PM Reply

I dont work. why?

Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 28th, 2012 @ 12:48 AM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV,

I laughed at how spot-on this is.

HotCakes
HotCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware May. 1st, 2012 @ 04:54 PM Reply

why dont favorites work for me?

BBS Signature