TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 4/25/12 07:16 AM, MCSMstudios wrote: Can't we just blam everything that sucks? It's stupid that we need rules to prevent that sort of garbage.

YES please do blam them!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 4/25/12 10:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/25/12 07:16 AM, MCSMstudios wrote: Can't we just blam everything that sucks? It's stupid that we need rules to prevent that sort of garbage.
YES please do blam them!

I've tried telling top B/P users enough times to not save such crap; hopefully this will be THE message to set them straight.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 11:02 AM Reply

At 4/24/12 11:36 PM, maxman43 wrote: If anyone can pull this off, it's you. Go for it.

I feel like making an "escape the room" parody for no reason either...

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 12:25 PM Reply

i get this every time i try to favorite someone

Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 12:28 PM Reply

If I favourite people, will I get a notification of when they make a new news post or submit a new thing?

Cos that's kinda what I'm lookin for.

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 12:34 PM Reply

Like if I had a drop-down in the top-left saying:

HappyHarry released Starbarians
Osuka made a News Post
The-Swain released Madness Whatever

then I'd check Newgrounds literally every few hours.
And if I had one saying "someone commented on your artwork, someone commented on your news post" then that would be amazing aswel.

Miccool
Miccool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 12:58 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 12:34 PM, I-smel wrote: Like if I had a drop-down in the top-left saying:

Osuka made a News Post

You mean the star button on the top left?

milksncookie1
milksncookie1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 01:05 PM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: UPDATE 2:

We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware. Shovelware is a somewhat nebulous area on NG but if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV, chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted. The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

This was starting to really bother me on the portal recently. I remember one user was submitting like 3 games a day to the portal all running on similar engines. It gets irritating because it's usually a barely passable game that wont get blammed because people vote on it not knowing the user already submitted 10 other games exactly the same as the previous. Glad you were able to address this.

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 12:58 PM, Miccool wrote:
At 4/25/12 12:34 PM, I-smel wrote: Like if I had a drop-down in the top-left saying:

Osuka made a News Post
You mean the star button on the top left?

That's what that does?? OH MAN I've bin missing out not favouriting anyone!

I just thought favouriting people was some dumb thing that didn't do anything!

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 01:47 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 06:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I do hope users stop trying to save shovelware now, I know a lot of people did it because they assumed it would pass judgment and wanted the points. LAME.

GUILTY!!!! Kind of...While I always blam dress-up games right off the bat, about 70% of the "spot the difference" games I have reviewed got away with a vote of 2. Let me explain. I would gladly throw my points away to chip at a terrible submission's score in hopes to remove it from the portal. Guarding the portal is serious business, but how do you determine what score to give, I try to use the voting descriptions as a reference but they are vague so its really up to you. This is the formula I had been using... If a submission works correctly and the graphics are clean but I hate the game, you get a 2. Sadly I tried to keep my personal preferences out of the voting process when it came to blaming submissions, instead voted in the best interests of the portal (while on the other hand I would only give a 5/5 if i personally loved it). I even started to feel bad abut blaming dress-up games, I asked a friend "who the fuck plays dress-up games", he answered girls (i still find this hard to believe). If people enjoy these games, I don't want to be responsible for getting them removed (I love text adventures and 99% of the world hates them :'( ). Anyway my voting formula was incorrect, I should never have voted based on what I think people want in the portal, maybe I should have been less sparing with the blams, maybe I should just blam anything I don't want to play or watch, if it is really good and others do like it then the portal will take care of its self. BUTPLEASE GIVE A SUBMISSION A CHANCE, I am also guilty of voting too soon, and not giving the submission a proper chance just to find out a minuet later "dam this is actually really good, and i voted it really low already" or "this sucks balls, i should have blamed this".
PLEASE DON'T VOTE ADJUST! This is something, I see people doing a lot, and have fought to prevent my self from doing. What is vote adjusting, well its when you see a good submission but you feel that its score is too good so you vote it a 0 just to pull down its score as much as you can. if you think the submission is worth a 3 then vote a three, maybe people shouldn't even be able to see the score until you vote (that's not a very good solution). I am guilty of doing the opposite, when I see a good submission that I feels didn't get a good enough score I will give it a 5/5, while this is nicer, its still bad to do. Anyway I am sorry this is so long, thanks to anyone who read it.
The rating systems only benefits if we all work inn tandem and take it seriously. Fight today, for a better portal tomarrow!
VIVA LA NEWGROUNDS!

Truly;
M.B. DeathInk

Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
Twisted4000
Twisted4000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Filmmaker
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 01:56 PM Reply

I also noticed the contact info and websites things for people's pages are updated as well, big fan of it!

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 01:57 PM Reply

Awesome stuff. And I'm glad I don't have to go to work this Saturday so I can witness Pico Day.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
pouar
pouar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 02:18 PM Reply

cool, both update 1 & 2, especially update 2, all that crapware is making Newgrounds look worse than the Wii

while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done

BBS Signature
milksncookie1
milksncookie1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 01:47 PM, deathink wrote:

This is the problem I've noticed with how crap gets through on the portal, I hate when a game gets passed through just because it was functional as a game and thats about it. It's almost a reflection of the sorry state of things if the criteria of a passable game is that it is just functional. My criteria for reviewing a game is you get 5 stars if I truly enjoyed the game and will probably want to come back and play again, 4 stars if you made a game that I enjoyed enough to play until the end or deep into the game, but probably will be the only time I visit the game. 3 stars if the game was able to capture my interest at some point and felt like the author put sufficient effort into the game. I usually give 2 stars which is barely passable in my opinion to games where I saw potential but felt there was more that could've been done with it. 1 star to a game that I didn't see anything interesting or feel like I got any enjoyment from it. 0 stars if the game didn't show any effort to stand out or do anything special about it. I feel like if people stopped trying to be fair or judge based on what they think is right for other people games would be judged based solely on whether YOU enjoyed it and rate it based on that. You play games to have fun I don't want to search games to play something that just works, I want to play something to get enjoyment out of it.

byte45
byte45
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 03:08 PM Reply

This is what I think about what will come to be called "The great exsorcism of the Bullshit Shovelware":

WAY TO GO TOM! Jesus. H. tapdancing Christ, that stuff was pissing me off.

PISSING BLIMEY, THERE'S JAM COMING OUT OF THE WALLS!

davethemonkey
davethemonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 03:10 PM Reply

If you are making a game or movie for Pico Day, please POP THIS LOGO somewhere and make it link to the Pico Day 2012 page.

hey tom,did you draw that logo?

go to my website

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 04:12 PM Reply

At 4/24/12 11:38 PM, Luis wrote: cutest couple.

I nominate Stamper and Jeff.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Narusegawa
Narusegawa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Movie Buff
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 04:40 PM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Thank you. I cringe every time I look at the Under Judgement section and see 20 such submissions. Not only do they suck, it also makes it harder to notice the really good games buried in the crap.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

DrMackFoxx
DrMackFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Musician
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

It's going to be interesting to see what the "Entries Blammed Yesterday" stat is later when the system resets due too all those garbage games getting removed. XD Already, 1,667 entries have been deleted so far today as of this writing.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 05:10 PM, DrMackFoxx wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what the "Entries Blammed Yesterday" stat is later when the system resets due too all those garbage games getting removed. XD Already, 1,667 entries have been deleted so far today as of this writing.

Except submissions deleted that way don't seem to count towards the blam number now. Look at yesterday's obituaries and then see how many it states were blammed.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 05:25 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 05:13 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 4/25/12 05:10 PM, DrMackFoxx wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what the "Entries Blammed Yesterday" stat is later when the system resets due too all those garbage games getting removed. XD Already, 1,667 entries have been deleted so far today as of this writing.
Except submissions deleted that way don't seem to count towards the blam number now. Look at yesterday's obituaries and then see how many it states were blammed.

Yes because it says BLAMMED now, meaning things blammed/removed under judgment are the only ones counted. This was different before this design since it said Deleted Yesterday which would count ALL submissions removed or deleted that day.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 03:10 PM, davethemonkey wrote:
If you are making a game or movie for Pico Day, please POP THIS LOGO somewhere and make it link to the Pico Day 2012 page.
hey tom,did you draw that logo?

The Pico Day logo is by Ephyse, you should favorite him! It's based on art from his site skin, I should have mentioned that. The Pico Day title fontage was added by JohnnyUtah.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
LosaruTaiyo
LosaruTaiyo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 05:33 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine... chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted.
So no more Game Factory or Stencyl games then?

Now that's not fair as these are just game developer programs and can be used well if one takes the effort to actual learn how to use them. What SHOULD be blammed though, of the TGF2 at least, are the Chocobreak clones and variants that people keep posting. (Unless now that has been resolved).

Littleluckylink
Littleluckylink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware. Shovelware is a somewhat nebulous area on NG but if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV, chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted. The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Awesome, I've been waiting for something like this. Fuck those faceless gaming companies. Good to see that shit pushed aside and actual user-generated content remaining.

Windmill Windmill for the land

BBS Signature
JimmyTheCaterpillar
JimmyTheCaterpillar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Writer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

Tom, you just made this site a million times better with Update 2. Thanks man. THANK YOU.

SIG BY AMARANTHUS.| I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299 AND UNCLECUBONE
| I'm in a band 'n stuff.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.
I ENJOY CRANBERRY SAUCE. A LOT.

BBS Signature
SergeantLuke
SergeantLuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware.

TOM

I LOVE YOU SO FREAKING MUCH

BBS Signature
Vorlek
Vorlek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Audiophile
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Update 2. omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg. so goood.
No moar girls dress up games and puzzles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Also, i have two fans q___q of whom both i know (have known) irl exDeee

phantomlassuk
phantomlassuk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 01:47 PM, deathink wrote:
At 4/25/12 06:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I do hope users stop trying to save shovelware now, I know a lot of people did it because they assumed it would pass judgment and wanted the points. LAME.

ntil you vote (that's not a very good solution). I am guilty of doing the opposite, when I see a good submission that I feels didn't get a good enough score I will give it a 5/5, while this is nicer, its still bad to do. Anyway I am sorry this is so long, thanks to anyone who read it.

The rating systems only benefits if we all work inn tandem and take it seriously. Fight today, for a better portal tomarrow!
VIVA LA NEWGROUNDS!

Truly;
M.B. DeathInk

It should be about voting fairly I admire youre honesty though. I'm glad Those shoveware have beeb remove real authors care about there games, and don't submit rubbish like these authors did.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

You missed one. :P

Now, can we also do something about those spam accounts that have been raping the blogs section too? Some of the stuff they've been advertising lately is outright dangerous and / or illegal (read: fake medication, firearms, get-out-of-DUI-free cards etc.).