00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NewBroTnT just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware

28,039 Views | 88 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 04:51:57

Thank god for update 2, so glad i wont be seeing any more of those shitty games
update one is pretty neat too, its nice to be able to favorite from the page instead of having to go to a submission

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 05:33:34

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine... chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted.

So no more Game Factory or Stencyl games then?

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 06:10:28

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: UPDATE 2:

We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware. Shovelware is a somewhat nebulous area on NG but if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV, chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted. The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.
Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV
"Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games

The truly awful thing is that so many submissions actually fit these descriptions exactly.

I've been doing my part to blam these for years, but they almost always make it through. It will be nice to have them be officially against the guidelines. Will there be an option to whistle this sort of thing? I want them gone as soon as possible.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 06:27:02

FINALLY shovelware is being banned. This is a huge step for the quality of things here. You should also make a move to ban spam, which is movies made in purposely low quality.

That being said, you'd have to watch the terminology.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 06:49:29

At 4/25/12 12:39 AM, Blordow wrote: Any updates on when we can find out who has favorited our flash movies?

That info will return when the expanded feed section arrives.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 06:49:59

At 4/25/12 06:49 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/25/12 12:39 AM, Blordow wrote: Any updates on when we can find out who has favorited our flash movies?
That info will return when the expanded feed section arrives.

Actually that will likely be a unique list linked to from the submission pages.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 06:52:32

At 4/25/12 04:28 AM, gamejunkie wrote: So Tom, when are the people that voted '0' on all those shithouse shovelware submissions you just deleted/removed, going to get our Blam points? I'm thinking I should gain around 1,500 Blam points at least. That's if you're going to reward us the way you have done in the past. Or do we people that voted sensibly miss out all together, while the people that Voted 2 to 5 on the now defunct flash crap, get to keep the Save points they have amassed?

I wish I could revert the blam and save points but won't be able to do that. Once we switch to one-vote-per-user on submissions we would have the data to track that sort of thing. I do hope users stop trying to save shovelware now, I know a lot of people did it because they assumed it would pass judgment and wanted the points. LAME.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 07:12:47

Tom it was an awesome idea for
Favorite users its really awesome
It is a great idea!
Next Stop
Pico Day!

| Steam | Sig is by Homicide <3 |

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 07:16:47

Can't we just blam everything that sucks? It's stupid that we need rules to prevent that sort of garbage.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 07:17:24

This isn't the "surprise" you've been talking about for the past few updates is it, or have I just missed something in the few news posts that I have only skimmed through?

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 07:43:50

I like how you can see how many fans people have now =)

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 08:14:47

-We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

I think I just fell in love

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 09:04:27

Getting new followers and the death of shovelware on Newgrounds? How could it get any better than this? Granted, most of my fans were from when I was making lame flash movies but I welcome more additions.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 09:43:03

Nice updates

-

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 10:03:35

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just completed a change to the Favorites system!

I wondered what happened to all of the stats below movies, games, audio and art, regarding them. At least I know now.

Apparently, I have 13 fans. I wonder how I can get some more...

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 10:06:45

I think it would be really neat if auras were worked into the favorite users page. That way you could quickly tell if an author identified themselves as an animatior, musician, etc, based on their color, while keeping the simple one single list for everyone.

Banning shovelware is awesome though. The redesign splitting up games and moves really made it noticeable just how many crappy games there were being submitted constantly.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 10:50:01

This update pleases me

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 10:51:50

I LOVE THIS UPDATE :)

It is sure going to give me a look nice! However, what if I did not want to be a fan of someone and I add it by mistake what can I do should not there be at least a warning or something before adding someone to a favorite?

I did not understand these part:

"Your submission must not simply be an ad for your site."
Does this mean I cannot add some link into my logo to check my website?

âEUoe.... you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV ...âEU
What does ATV mean?

"Your submission must not be racist or downright hateful towards specific groups of people."
Does this include the racism against Muslims through flash. I hope that it is true!

I hope you make it a bit more clearer for me and thank you!

Note:"I am sending you a message personally incase your not reading this!"

A-Genius

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 10:52:27

At 4/25/12 07:17 AM, Sectus wrote: This isn't the "surprise" you've been talking about for the past few updates is it, or have I just missed something in the few news posts that I have only skimmed through?

The surprise was video. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 10:52:42

At 4/25/12 07:16 AM, MCSMstudios wrote: Can't we just blam everything that sucks? It's stupid that we need rules to prevent that sort of garbage.

YES please do blam them!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 10:54:26

At 4/25/12 10:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/25/12 07:16 AM, MCSMstudios wrote: Can't we just blam everything that sucks? It's stupid that we need rules to prevent that sort of garbage.
YES please do blam them!

I've tried telling top B/P users enough times to not save such crap; hopefully this will be THE message to set them straight.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 11:02:04

At 4/24/12 11:36 PM, maxman43 wrote: If anyone can pull this off, it's you. Go for it.

I feel like making an "escape the room" parody for no reason either...

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 12:25:01

i get this every time i try to favorite someone

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 12:28:42

If I favourite people, will I get a notification of when they make a new news post or submit a new thing?

Cos that's kinda what I'm lookin for.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 12:34:19

Like if I had a drop-down in the top-left saying:

HappyHarry released Starbarians
Osuka made a News Post
The-Swain released Madness Whatever

then I'd check Newgrounds literally every few hours.
And if I had one saying "someone commented on your artwork, someone commented on your news post" then that would be amazing aswel.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 12:58:11

At 4/25/12 12:34 PM, I-smel wrote: Like if I had a drop-down in the top-left saying:

Osuka made a News Post

You mean the star button on the top left?

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 13:05:56

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: UPDATE 2:

We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware. Shovelware is a somewhat nebulous area on NG but if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV, chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted. The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

This was starting to really bother me on the portal recently. I remember one user was submitting like 3 games a day to the portal all running on similar engines. It gets irritating because it's usually a barely passable game that wont get blammed because people vote on it not knowing the user already submitted 10 other games exactly the same as the previous. Glad you were able to address this.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 13:17:58

At 4/25/12 12:58 PM, Miccool wrote:
At 4/25/12 12:34 PM, I-smel wrote: Like if I had a drop-down in the top-left saying:

Osuka made a News Post
You mean the star button on the top left?

That's what that does?? OH MAN I've bin missing out not favouriting anyone!

I just thought favouriting people was some dumb thing that didn't do anything!

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 13:47:31

At 4/25/12 06:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I do hope users stop trying to save shovelware now, I know a lot of people did it because they assumed it would pass judgment and wanted the points. LAME.

GUILTY!!!! Kind of...While I always blam dress-up games right off the bat, about 70% of the "spot the difference" games I have reviewed got away with a vote of 2. Let me explain. I would gladly throw my points away to chip at a terrible submission's score in hopes to remove it from the portal. Guarding the portal is serious business, but how do you determine what score to give, I try to use the voting descriptions as a reference but they are vague so its really up to you. This is the formula I had been using... If a submission works correctly and the graphics are clean but I hate the game, you get a 2. Sadly I tried to keep my personal preferences out of the voting process when it came to blaming submissions, instead voted in the best interests of the portal (while on the other hand I would only give a 5/5 if i personally loved it). I even started to feel bad abut blaming dress-up games, I asked a friend "who the fuck plays dress-up games", he answered girls (i still find this hard to believe). If people enjoy these games, I don't want to be responsible for getting them removed (I love text adventures and 99% of the world hates them :'( ). Anyway my voting formula was incorrect, I should never have voted based on what I think people want in the portal, maybe I should have been less sparing with the blams, maybe I should just blam anything I don't want to play or watch, if it is really good and others do like it then the portal will take care of its self. BUTPLEASE GIVE A SUBMISSION A CHANCE, I am also guilty of voting too soon, and not giving the submission a proper chance just to find out a minuet later "dam this is actually really good, and i voted it really low already" or "this sucks balls, i should have blamed this".
PLEASE DON'T VOTE ADJUST! This is something, I see people doing a lot, and have fought to prevent my self from doing. What is vote adjusting, well its when you see a good submission but you feel that its score is too good so you vote it a 0 just to pull down its score as much as you can. if you think the submission is worth a 3 then vote a three, maybe people shouldn't even be able to see the score until you vote (that's not a very good solution). I am guilty of doing the opposite, when I see a good submission that I feels didn't get a good enough score I will give it a 5/5, while this is nicer, its still bad to do. Anyway I am sorry this is so long, thanks to anyone who read it.
The rating systems only benefits if we all work inn tandem and take it seriously. Fight today, for a better portal tomarrow!
VIVA LA NEWGROUNDS!

Truly;
M.B. DeathInk

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 13:56:16

I also noticed the contact info and websites things for people's pages are updated as well, big fan of it!