Sahariel
Sahariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Need Critique on Character Design 2012-04-23 23:14:55 Reply

Hey.

This is Romau, the main character for a story/RPG Maker VX Ace game that is in the planning stages called "Epoch of the Brotherhood". I could use some critique from you guys on the design as well as suggestions for improvement. It's still a preliminary sketch (just me dicking around with sketchy lines), so some help with the folds would be most appreciated if you can provide help in this area. If not, just your thoughts and impressions would be lovely.

Need Critique on Character Design

Vonschlippe
Vonschlippe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Need Critique on Character Design 2012-04-23 23:50:11 Reply

At 4/23/12 11:14 PM, Sahariel wrote: Hey.

This is Romau, the main character for a story/RPG Maker VX Ace game that is in the planning stages called "Epoch of the Brotherhood". I could use some critique from you guys on the design as well as suggestions for improvement. It's still a preliminary sketch (just me dicking around with sketchy lines), so some help with the folds would be most appreciated if you can provide help in this area. If not, just your thoughts and impressions would be lovely.

Always indulge in the details when you're designing a character! While exploring the possibilities for detail, you might think up of something unique which will define the character and make him unique and original.

I took some liberties with your drawing (hope you don't mind...!) and added a few things on top of it. Leatherwork, patterns, jewelry, etc. Keep refining your sketch! It's promising!

Need Critique on Character Design

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need Critique on Character Design 2012-04-23 23:54:36 Reply

I think what he needs is some characteristic flair. Right now, he's got a solid design, but looks very standard. He's instantly recognizable as a main character to (what I'm assuming is) a console-style RPG, but that's not necessarily a good thing. You want the design to define his role, but you don't want the design to be defined BY his role. So I think you should add something to him that makes him stand out as an individual character.

Maybe play with the armor to make it uncommonly shaped?

Sahariel
Sahariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Need Critique on Character Design 2012-04-24 04:34:13 Reply

Looks like the generic design came from my lack of understanding of the character. I'll tinker around with the design a bit more, then going to do a character outline.

To sum up his character, he is an amnesiac demon who took the form of the nearest dead human body around him who lost all of his memory when he gained sentience. Perhaps a more demonic motif would fit?

EnactJudo
EnactJudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Need Critique on Character Design 2012-04-24 07:03:51 Reply

At 4/24/12 04:34 AM, Sahariel wrote: Looks like the generic design came from my lack of understanding of the character. I'll tinker around with the design a bit more, then going to do a character outline.

To sum up his character, he is an amnesiac demon who took the form of the nearest dead human body around him who lost all of his memory when he gained sentience. Perhaps a more demonic motif would fit?

It's been generally stated already, but its a bit too bland. The first thing I thought was that it looked too much like Marth/Roy/any of those other characters from that Japanese game.

I dunno about adding demonic features, but if you're gonna make it work I think you should shy away from cliches like devil horns or demon arms.

Was thinking though: how did the possessed body die? Was he stabbed through the stomach? If so, maybe make it show on the character- like a demonic growth or simply a deep scar.