New Topic Respond to this Topic
MattipusRexx
MattipusRexx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Audiophile
New Recording Microphone? Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 08:26 PM Reply

Lookin to buy a new microphone to record audio with, any recommendations on what to get?

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 10:29 PM Reply

probably one appropriate to what you intend to record.

ScelesticFish
ScelesticFish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 21st, 2012 @ 10:54 PM Reply

Blue Microphone's are of pretty good quality and have a variety of products at a variety of prices.
They're pretty reliable too, from what I've heard.

http://www.bluemic.com/

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 22nd, 2012 @ 12:05 AM Reply

At 4/21/12 10:54 PM, ScelesticFish wrote: Blue Microphone's are of pretty good quality and have a variety of products at a variety of prices.
They're pretty reliable too, from what I've heard.

http://www.bluemic.com/

Based on my experience with Blue products (I recently purchased an Icicle) i would hesitate to recommend them without caveats. The icicle is -very- noisy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see similar noise in any of their USB mics.

MattipusRexx
MattipusRexx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 22nd, 2012 @ 02:23 AM Reply

I'm mainly looking for something that picks up voices well cause the one i had was used to record voices for my friends animations and I would want it to pick up instruments pretty well so i could record my music.

BubblePipeMedia
BubblePipeMedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply

I've heard good things about the Blue Yeti and Blue Yeti Pro. The difference being Yeti Pro does more pro stuff, whereas the Yeti is much more of a starter. Both have built in headphone capabilities, which I usually find is a million times better than anything you probably already have on your computer. (I haven't used the Yeti, so I can't say for sure)

If you already have an interface with a mic pre/phantom power, I've had the Rode NT1A for years and thought it was a good buy. Not great, but solid. I personally think it sounds better on voices with a higher pitch quality than mine (baritone).

The Blue Icicle is a podcast microphone for $60 with portability being it's biggest feature. You can also use it as a low quality interface, but with 16 bit only resolution, you may find you hit your barrier quickly.

Hope this helps.

Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 12:27 PM Reply

ive got a chrome blue snowball that ive been trying to sell. $50 you interested?

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 12:53 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 11:19 AM, BubblePipeMedia wrote: The Blue Icicle is a podcast microphone for $60 with portability being it's biggest feature. You can also use it as a low quality interface, but with 16 bit only resolution, you may find you hit your barrier quickly.

The Icicle is NOT a micrphone, it is an audio interface.

BubblePipeMedia
BubblePipeMedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 12:53 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 4/25/12 11:19 AM, BubblePipeMedia wrote: The Blue Icicle is a podcast microphone for $60 with portability being it's biggest feature. You can also use it as a low quality interface, but with 16 bit only resolution, you may find you hit your barrier quickly.
The Icicle is NOT a micrphone, it is an audio interface.

Ooops, seems you're right. I mentioned it as a mic because someone else above did and it says on the name on the site I saw it "Blue Microphones Icicle." It was a bit misleading.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 01:58 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 01:44 PM, BubblePipeMedia wrote: Ooops, seems you're right. I mentioned it as a mic because someone else above did and it says on the name on the site I saw it "Blue Microphones Icicle." It was a bit misleading.

That was me. If you had continued to read my post beyond that, you'd have read that I'm not entirely impressed with it.

BubblePipeMedia
BubblePipeMedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 02:11 PM Reply

At 4/25/12 01:58 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 4/25/12 01:44 PM, BubblePipeMedia wrote: Ooops, seems you're right. I mentioned it as a mic because someone else above did and it says on the name on the site I saw it "Blue Microphones Icicle." It was a bit misleading.
That was me. If you had continued to read my post beyond that, you'd have read that I'm not entirely impressed with it.

I did read all of it. Why did you think I didn't? (am I missing something?) My mistake was thinking it was a microphone. I've heard a lot of good things about their Yeti as a nice quality all in one mic. Haven't used one personally though.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Jack of all trades, master of none. Building a low noise, high output condensor is hard. Building one that has to work off a split supply froma 5 volt, 100mA USB cable? Yes, it's going to be shit. You either live with a tiny amount of headroom or do a SMPS and make it noisy as hell.

The SM58 with X2U gives you the option of USB or XLR. And if ever decide to move on - you can always sell a 58. Always.

CloudArchitect
CloudArchitect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 25th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 4/21/12 08:26 PM, MattipusRexx wrote: Lookin to buy a new microphone to record audio with, any recommendations on what to get?

Depends on what type of microphone you want.

Is it loud music, acoustic stuff, vocal based stuff?

If it's loud you'll probably want to look into dynamic microphones, I have a Shure SM58 and it's one of the most widely used microphones for live stuff (don't quote me on that completely), but either way Shure are VERY good.

If you're after more acoustic style or vocal things you might want to go for a 'Rode' condensor microphone, my friend bought a Rode (name of the company) mic for his acoustic things and it sounds real nice. It's really good for vocals as well.

I remember hearing something about Drums commonly being miced up by Shure SM57's too.

Hope that helped! :)!

TheFourthEvil
TheFourthEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 04:42 AM Reply

At 4/21/12 08:26 PM, MattipusRexx wrote: Lookin to buy a new microphone to record audio with, any recommendations on what to get?

I'd go with a Shure SM57 if you're recording an instrument played with an amp, because it's unidirectional, and I find that to really help with sound quality and background noise (you'll need a usb audio interface as well). It's the industry standard, so you can't really go wrong. If you're recording vocals, audio commentary, voice acting etc., then I'd recommend a condenser mic. you can get a cheap one for ~$50, and they're fairly easy to use. Usually you can get decent sound quality plugged into the line in on your computer, with no need for a mixer or preamp.

-

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 07:05 AM Reply

At 4/26/12 04:42 AM, TheFourthEvil wrote:
I'd go with a Shure SM57 if you're recording an instrument played with an amp, because it's unidirectional,

cardioid.

then I'd recommend a condenser mic. you can get a cheap one for ~$50, and they're fairly easy to use. Usually you can get decent sound quality plugged into the line in on your computer, with no need for a mixer or preamp.

Um. No, you can't. This is completely wrong. Don't answer questions you're too stupid to answer.

TheFourthEvil
TheFourthEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 01:59 AM Reply

At 4/26/12 07:05 AM, loansindi wrote:
At 4/26/12 04:42 AM, TheFourthEvil wrote:
I'd go with a Shure SM57 if you're recording an instrument played with an amp, because it's unidirectional,
cardioid.

then I'd recommend a condenser mic. you can get a cheap one for ~$50, and they're fairly easy to use. Usually you can get decent sound quality plugged into the line in on your computer, with no need for a mixer or preamp.
Um. No, you can't. This is completely wrong. Don't answer questions you're too stupid to answer.

*Puts foot in mouth*

Sorry, I suppose I was misinformed and too ignorant to look further into the topic before trying to answer the question.

-

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 12:59 AM Reply

The most expensive mic you can, lol

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
Vorlek
Vorlek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Audiophile
Response to New Recording Microphone? Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 05:05 AM Reply

People have covered most stuff, but yet, completely depends on what you really want to record.
sm57/58's are the industry standard for dynamic mic's for certain kinds of recording and live performances. They are really rugged, and prettymuch impossible to break. Also, as someone said earlier, because they are used alot, they should be kinda easy to resell if you ever need to. So these can be used to record loads of stuff, for guitar amps and stuff, not so good for recording stuff like vocals, and accoustic instruments (maybe drums are ok).
If your recording vocals, or accoustic guitar, or something then you are looking for a condenser. Ive personally had experience with Rode NT1-A and NT1000 and can say they are pretty gooooood.
If you really are looking into this seriously, i would personally avoid a usb mic. But probably completely depends on what exactly you want to do, and how much money and time you are going to invest into it.

CarrollFilms
CarrollFilms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Recording Microphone? May. 1st, 2012 @ 07:41 PM Reply

Blue Snowball is the way to go. Well worth the $100.

Neyus
Neyus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? May. 4th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 4/30/12 12:59 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
The most expensive mic you can, lol

Need a good preamp as well which could go up to a grand. Then get a good room for recording and you're SET!

AlbasaurusTrance
AlbasaurusTrance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Recording Microphone? May. 5th, 2012 @ 04:42 AM Reply

iT can be very daunting when it comes to mics as there is hundreds to choose from and all in different price ranges. There are some excellent models that can be had cheap (SM57 & 58 for one) but if you're willing to take a step up in price range, consider the Neumann TLM-102.

"It's not that hard being a film cricket" -- HOMER SIMPSON

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? May. 5th, 2012 @ 06:10 AM Reply

Dr.Dre Beats and a pair of SkullCandies. All you need to be pro.

AlbasaurusTrance
AlbasaurusTrance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Recording Microphone? May. 5th, 2012 @ 06:57 AM Reply

I'll say this in pictures:

New Recording Microphone?

"It's not that hard being a film cricket" -- HOMER SIMPSON

BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to New Recording Microphone? Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 09:27 PM Reply

what kind of mircophone is best for recording a piano performance.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to New Recording Microphone? Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 9/8/12 09:27 PM, BoredLooney wrote: what kind of mircophone is best for recording a piano performance.

Please dont bump and already flaming / old thread to ask a question like this. I would say make another thread for that question.