TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:35:31 Reply

Please take a moment to browse this Kickstarter project and watch the video, which starts with some teaser footage and then goes into more detail about the project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/808395439/newgrounds-the -forsaken-city

We've pushed to fund a lot of Kickstarter projects over the years but this is one we simply MUST fund. If we don't, we'll have to spend the rest of our lives wondering how cool this might have been. Not only that but if Winzra and Eiomaru go on to make blockbuster films some day, we can all be proud that we were part of their journey.

Expect more posts about Newgrounds: The Forsaken City over the next 59 days but I won't have to make as many if we reach the goal as quickly as possible. If you have anything to spare, help make this project a reality!

Click here to view the video in-page.

Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:38:27 Reply

Awesome!

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:40:10 Reply

OK, here is money

Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:43:53 Reply

It'll be sweet; just like the Newgrounds documentary that I haven't heard about or seen in years!

To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:45:22 Reply

I'm pretty poor right now, but once I am able to I wouldn't mind throwing some bucks their way!

I think it's great we support others' projects like this.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:46:59 Reply

Oh. My fucking God. Yes.

Yes.

YES! YES YES YES YES YES! YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!

That is probably the best thing I have ever seen on this website, and it's not even a Newgrounds submission. And you are quite right: You absolutely MUST fund it! If you aren't currently looking at your son and thinking: "How much could I get by selling him for medical experiments", you should be ashamed of yourself.

Mizzjuicyflava
Mizzjuicyflava
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Reader
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:49:08 Reply

I will definitely help fund this. I hope they will reach its goal. I'm excited about this!

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:50:01 Reply

At 4/20/12 04:43 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: It'll be sweet; just like the Newgrounds documentary that I haven't heard about or seen in years!

That movie will still arrive... And don't let that stop something else cool from happening!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:50:07 Reply

Looks really freaking cool. The storyline is kind interesting, the idea that pico needs to aid the tankmen sounds alright too!

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:52:00 Reply

At 4/20/12 04:40 PM, Makeshift wrote: OK, here is money

Shit, maybe not. Kickstarter / Amazon don't like PayPal.

Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:52:25 Reply

AMAZING! That HAS to get done!

I'm willing to sell as many of my organs as necessary to watch that get accomplished.

BBS Signature
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 16:55:29 Reply

As impressive as the trailer is, I'm mostly taken aback by the fact there's embedded video on the BBS.

1-800-CockJoke
1-800-CockJoke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:01:00 Reply

At 4/20/12 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/20/12 04:43 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: It'll be sweet; just like the Newgrounds documentary that I haven't heard about or seen in years!
That movie will still arrive... And don't let that stop something else cool from happening!

"It'll be here....right after the weekend, lol, remember how fast we got chat out?". Come on. You can humour us with a little more info about where the other NG movie is before you ask us to reach into our pockets to fund another thing. That's just common courtesy.

I'm really curious as to where that documentary went. I've heard from several people who might know a thing or two about it that it might have been an instance of "take the money and run". :(

BBS Signature
Ryallen
Ryallen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:02:31 Reply

That looks amazing! I cannot wait until this series comes out! This is going to be amazing!

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:03:48 Reply

At 4/20/12 05:01 PM, 1-800-CockJoke wrote: You can humour us with a little more info about where the other NG movie is before you ask us to reach into our pockets to fund another thing.

You'd know what has been happening with it if you had funded it. Nathan has sent out a number of updates on its status.

toxisfuckingdumb
toxisfuckingdumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:08:42 Reply

i feel bad for people who had serious kickstarters. kickstarters like help fund my mother's surgery have been lost amidst a wave of if you give me $3000 i will build a lolcat out of legos xd

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:15:09 Reply

At 4/20/12 05:08 PM, toxisfuckingdumb wrote: i feel bad for people who had serious kickstarters. kickstarters like help fund my mother's surgery have been lost amidst a wave of if you give me $3000 i will build a lolcat out of legos xd

A lot of it has to do with fanbases and rewards. If some guy like Jim Q. Everyman makes that kickstarter to help fund his mother's surgery, who's his target demographic? While I'm sure we would all love to say that human kindness would allow him to get the money he needs, a more realistic response to his project would be the people who know him personally and can work their way around kickstarter to give him money and a few random odd people with good intentions. Plus, the rewards do play into it, on a selfish level. What would I get for sending 1000 dollars to his mother as opposed to 500? Is it worth the time?

WIth projects like this, Tom can talk to an audience of hundreds/thousands of people that would be willing to support something like this. Plus, there are actual rewards that are worth something here (The commission of one minute of animation is fucking sweet).

So, I guess long story short, it makes sense that stupid projects overtake the more serious ones. As much as that website aims to help all people, there are some projects that are just more attractive to donators and they aren't always the more serious ones.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
toxisfuckingdumb
toxisfuckingdumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:20:40 Reply

At 4/20/12 05:15 PM, ZJ wrote: So, I guess long story short, it makes sense that stupid projects overtake the more serious ones. As much as that website aims to help all people, there are some projects that are just more attractive to donators and they aren't always the more serious ones.

no i'm saying it is impossible to take any project on kickstarter seriously at this point because it has become an entirely overdone way to raise money. everyone and their fucking cousin has a kickstarter about some stupid horseshit that when something worthwhile comes along it's virtually indistinguishable from the legions of things that aren't. i classify some video game funding and some film funding as serious.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:33:27 Reply

Looks pretty cool - once I have some money to my name, I'll give some support.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:38:38 Reply

after the ng documentary going nowhere and not meeting any sort of deadlines / promises I've decided to only back projects from people with history and proven ability to deliver. I don't see it on their project page: do they have any previous work we can watch? i might be missing it (in which case they need to make it more visible) but I don't see anything.

fake edit, I found via their userpage that one of them was an assitant director on this which seems cool, gives me faith they at least have some idea what they're doing, would be nice if they'd make this stuff available for others that don't want to go searching around.

good luck, will back.

Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:41:39 Reply

The trailer is fucking awesome!

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 17:43:10 Reply

This just looks so epic on so many levels. It made me pledge $50. I figure I can live with one less tank of gas.

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 18:34:19 Reply

Newgrounds Rumble on Blockbuster!@#$@#%!

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
YenMuffin
YenMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 18:39:25 Reply

At 4/20/12 05:43 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: This just looks so epic on so many levels. It made me pledge $50. I figure I can live with one less tank of gas.

I feel so strongly about this that I actually backed a Kickstarter project for once.

This MUST meet its goal!

I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 18:47:24 Reply

I wanna pledge 100 bucks, but only on Paypal. Any way I could pay with that?

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 19:17:03 Reply

This is good stuff.

But for the love of god the canned explosions and gunfire make me cringe.

Shit. I'll donate cash and audio samples of actual firearms.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 19:39:04 Reply

hnnnghhhh plz give now!!!1

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 19:50:54 Reply

WOAHOHOHOOOO BUDDY!!

I came into this thread like "huh, some guys are 3D-modelling a super gritty version of Madness. Alright, that's bin done before and it's not super impressive so whatever...

BUT THEN I WATCHED THE VIDEO OH SNAP!!! THAT'S A REAL GODDAMN MOVIE!

Hopefully they'll include a bunch of audio commentaries on the DVD, cos that's what I'm all about. Tom, get some o these guys' videos on Newgrounds! Better yet, put that teaser on here with a link to the Kickstarter.

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 20:09:45 Reply

Looks great, hope you guys reach your goal!!

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds: Forsaken City - FUND IT 2012-04-20 20:40:39 Reply

At 4/20/12 05:08 PM, toxisfuckingdumb wrote: i feel bad for people who had serious kickstarters. kickstarters like help fund my mother's surgery have been lost amidst a wave of if you give me $3000 i will build a lolcat out of legos xd

Kickstarter is a site to fund people making things. That's the point, that's bin the point since they started like 5 years ago.

The whole point of the site is all-or-nothing funding, why would anyone make a site where you could end up getting none of the CHARITY money if you didn't get enough interest in 30 days? That's just crazy.

It's called KICKSTARTER because it's for START-UPS. You "kickstart" a product, you don't "kickstart" my mom. That was never an option.
You're talking about FUNDRAISERS, which is a seperate thing that still happens all the time.

If you're suggesting that Kickstarter should have an option for "Any funds raised over X amount will go to X charity" then yes, that's a smart idea and you're a smart person, congrats.