New Topic Respond to this Topic
Markface
Markface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Paper Animation - Tips Apr. 20th, 2012 @ 02:08 PM Reply

I've always loved paper-based animation (you know, drawn by hand rather than in flash). I've started and near completed a small animation doing this, but just wanted a few tips from those who have experience in this style of animation.

My fiance has a pretty bitchin' camera, get resolution and a stand to insure the camera won't get shaky on me. But, I've never done this before and want to get my head around the set-up first.

1) How should I approach the lighting? I'm intending on doing this at night, using a lamp to light up the pages to insure I can control the consistency of the lighting for the animation.

2) The quality of the photos are your usual 3000x2000 or so pixel for her type of camera. I'll obviously be sizing the photos down to lower the file size, but does anyone have experience in regards to just how large these files can get? The reason I ask is that my laptop is shit and a large Flash file usually gives me all sorts of drama. Is there any programs or tips that you have to scale down photos with quality? I only intend on using MSPaint to do this, so any suggestion would be worth a look.

I've drawn most of it out, but haven't started the photography for it. So I guess any tips about that process would be good. I just have the painful feeling that this will get incredibly tedious and any helpful advice might help ease that. Also, I'm just generally very interested in paper-based animation.

cheers babes xoxoxo

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature
crow-feet
crow-feet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Paper Animation - Tips Apr. 20th, 2012 @ 02:48 PM Reply

At 4/20/12 02:08 PM, Markface wrote: I've always loved paper-based animation (you know, drawn by hand rather than in flash). I've started and near completed a small animation doing this, but just wanted a few tips from those who have experience in this style of animation.

My fiance has a pretty bitchin' camera, get resolution and a stand to insure the camera won't get shaky on me. But, I've never done this before and want to get my head around the set-up first.

1) How should I approach the lighting? I'm intending on doing this at night, using a lamp to light up the pages to insure I can control the consistency of the lighting for the animation.

2) The quality of the photos are your usual 3000x2000 or so pixel for her type of camera. I'll obviously be sizing the photos down to lower the file size, but does anyone have experience in regards to just how large these files can get? The reason I ask is that my laptop is shit and a large Flash file usually gives me all sorts of drama. Is there any programs or tips that you have to scale down photos with quality? I only intend on using MSPaint to do this, so any suggestion would be worth a look.

I've drawn most of it out, but haven't started the photography for it. So I guess any tips about that process would be good. I just have the painful feeling that this will get incredibly tedious and any helpful advice might help ease that. Also, I'm just generally very interested in paper-based animation.

cheers babes xoxoxo

If the camera is a dslr some models can be used for live feed in animation software, you could just shoot the pencil test that way an just import the image sequence into flash, the image file sizes would be smaller as the software would only record whats in frame, at a quality you can specify in the application, doing what you suggest sounds like a bit of a nightmare lowering the quality and scale of the image. when i shoot i can get pretty even light with two small desk lamps, one as sort of a main, spot light and another light to balance out the rest of the page. dragonframe, istopmotion, and stopmotion pro

BBS Signature