New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chaos-Player
Chaos-Player
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 15:08:55 Reply

Has the title suggests name the most underated game you played and then most overated game of all time
Most underated: Chaos Legion
Most overated: GTA: san andreas

Check out my youtube channel!

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 15:45:32 Reply

Most Underrated:

Clock Tower for the SNES, a brilliant survival horror game that was only released in Japan. Unlike Resident Evil or Silent Hill, this game is really unpredictable. The map changes around every time you play, and the enemies of the game pop up at random, giving you a real sense of helplessness and vulnerability . This game didn't need fancy graphics or a 3d environment to be scary and exciting.

Most overrated:

Hm, this one is kinda tough. As much as I want to choose a recent Call of Duty game, I just feel like that's a cheap way out. I'd have to say the most overrated game I've ever played is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Sure, it's a perfectly good game, but it's actually my least favourite Zelda game out of the ones I've played (all of the main installments up until Wind Waker), and not nearly as revolutionary as people make it out to be. There's not really anything wrong with the game, but it's nowhere near the "greatest game of all time" like most people say it is.

BBS Signature
Chaos-Player
Chaos-Player
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 16:05:39 Reply

Hm, this one is kinda tough. As much as I want to choose a recent Call of Duty game, I just feel like that's a cheap way out.

i really felt that too great underated game btw when was playing clock tower all my friends started laughing saying that it wasnt even the least bit scary but i was scared shitless at some points well with all the dead space's around i guess i can't blame them "sigh"

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 16:10:32 Reply

Most underrated: Hard to say, because I don't usually buy games that most people don't seem to enjoy. I guess maybe the first Crysis because it just became a joke because of the ridiculous PC requirements for it, but if your system can run it it's actually a very interesting game with enough ways to kill your enemies that it never really gets dull.

Most overrated: Definitely Skyrim. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and I like it, but everyone's like "300 hours of gameplay, never repetitive, playing it is like the 2nd coming of Jesus, whoooaaaa." I haven't played it in weeks because I did pretty much everything that wasn't generic dungeon quests and I can't picture the experience being a whole lot different with a new character.

cheese654
cheese654
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 16:18:10 Reply

Most underrated: The World Ends With You, Homefront

Most overrated: CoD (I hate to be the guy who brings it up, but what else?) also Assassins Creed and WoW

BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 16:58:49 Reply

In recent years, the two most underrated games I've played have probably been Mirror's Edge and Metro 2033. Those games just didn't click with a lot of people, but I thought they were absolutely brilliant. Especially Metro, because while Mirror's Edge is, in many ways, a diamond in the rough, I really consider Metro to be an absolute masterpiece. It's probably the best linear, story-focused type of FPS that I've played since Half-Life 2. In many ways, I'd say it's superior to the Half-Life series.

As for most overrated, eh, I guess that would be Mass Effect. Everything about that series just seems bad-to-mediocre to me, from the gameplay to the story. And yet everyone calls it best game evar. I don't get it.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 17:36:12 Reply

It's hard for me to choose just one at times, for either one. So I'll give you two...

Most Underrated

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

A lot of people who owned an N64 probably played "Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber". A good game in its own right, I have to say that "The March of the Black Queen" (N64's prequel) is a lot better in my opinion. It melds together a strategy game with a turn-based RPG. It keeps you involved with managing your units not only for moving on the field, but for battle as well. You see I don't care for a lot of strategy games because after you build your army and get it strong enough you can pretty much wipe out anything, I just find them monotonous and boring, not only to play but to watch someone else play as well.

However Ogre Battle is different with that RPG element, so not only do you have to build your army, but it has to be strong enough to fight in a one on one encounter with another enemy unit. The boss battles, story, music, everything about this game is downright perfect. I absolutely love it... but you don't hear many people talk about it.

Parasite Eve

This PlayStation melding of survival horror with action RPG elements set in a modern 90's New York is certainly a bizarre one. With most RPG's I'm gonna stand by that this game has a fascinating story that uses science to tell it, but not only that the survival horror elements match well with not only the gameplay, but with this 90's New York. Using Central Park as a scary outlet for this game as well as the Central Park Zoo as a place you don't want to walk through is terrifying and creative. It has gotten two sequels, with the third given the shaft big time.

Most Overrated

Any Call of Duty after "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare"

Don't get me wrong, I like Call of Duty, and "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" was a huge step in a right direction from its predecessors and built higher on the mark they left behind from "Call of Duty 3" and "Call of Duty 2". It truly was an amazing game. Then "Call of Duty: World at War" came out and gave us Nazi Zombies... okay that's cool. Then we get "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" which was a huge understatement. Seriously all this franchise is riding off now is the Modern Warfare tag of 4 which people don't even care anymore. It's gotten to the point of it being watered down and slowly getting to the point of that of the Madden Series. Don't get me wrong these games are still a lot of fun to play, but the ingenuity is gone. They don't even care about having to top the last game. It's like the Guitar Hero series all over again.

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Yeah I heard a lot about this game, I heard it had a funny story, it had funny characters, it came from the creators of Banjo-Kazooie. So I got myself a copy for the N64 and what do you know... the controls and camera angles sucked. I couldn't really blame myself though because in all the reviews I heard I never heard any praise for the controls or it's gameplay and when I did they just glanced over it. The selling point of this game is the story and characters which I have to admit always has me laughing my ass off, but these controls are not only stiff at times, but the camera just doesn't agree with me at all.

I can't see why this was praised so much, if it was for mainly just the story of cute and cuddly creatures cussing and throwing slurs around... okay, but don't praise it highly just because of that. This game is overrated in my opinion. It just doesn't deserve this high of praise. Especially from the creators who Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. I mean Super Mario 64 showed everyone how 3D games should look and play like. Then Rare came in and showed everyone how to do it better... TWICE! So how did we end up with Conker's Bad Fur Day's controls and camera when this was already perfected? It's fucking bullshit!

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
fatherbuck
fatherbuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 17:58:53 Reply

At 4/18/12 04:18 PM, cheese654 wrote:
Most overrated: CoD (I hate to be the guy who brings it up, but what else?) also Assassins Creed and WoW

glad someone said it. WoW is easily the most overrated game ever made, that and the sims, all of them.

assassins creed, well... i like the series a lot, but c'mon, it's been the same old song and dance every single game, just add more weapons each title. Make it a little harder, add some actual stealth elements, and you've got a winner.

underrated.... Arc the Lad 1,2, and 3. awesome rpgs. excellent story. badass charaters, and fun. fuck the new versions. they have no substance.

Let's not pretend we're on the internet to play nice. Sure we're here to play, but not nicely.

BBS Signature
Itachi888Uchiha
Itachi888Uchiha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 18:04:32 Reply

Most underrated: Any good fighting game.
On a serious note though, I want to say Custom Robo on the Gamecube. That game was awesome. It actually reminds me of fighting games in the sense that the battle pretty much starts as soon as you go to the customization screen. Amazing. There's a lot of depth. The game actually has *gasp* combos. You can counterpick opponents. So much going on with that game.

Most Overrated:
Any recent FPS.
Really though, Final Fantasy 7. Honestly, I dislike Final Fantasy. I think that Dragon Quest is better (but I don't like that much either). Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger were brilliant, and probably the best things Square Enix have (and ever will) put out there.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 18:07:46 Reply

Most Underrated: Sonic Adventure

Most Overrated: Call of duty

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 18:09:24 Reply

At 4/18/12 03:15 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
Most overrated: No such thing. If a game is rated well, there's always a damn good reason. All else is opinions.

Oh god you don't honestly believe that do you?

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 18:40:21 Reply

I think I still have Chaos Legion somewhere. It was decent, but I got to a point where I kept dying and didn't care enough to keep trying. And the level designs were pretty bad. I still liked it, though.

overrated? probably WoW or maybe Gears of War, though Gears is okay.

underrated? I'll go with Heart of Darkness, one of the best games I've ever played. It's either that or Mischief Makers.

Most Underated and Overated

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 18:51:21 Reply

At 4/18/12 06:19 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 4/18/12 06:09 PM, naronic wrote: Oh god you don't honestly believe that do you?
That every game's quality is subjective?

That's not what you said.

"Most overrated: No such thing. If a game is rated well, there's always a damn good reason. All else is opinions."

^do you actually believe this?

BBS Signature
Odyssic
Odyssic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 19:03:24 Reply

Underrated - Sonic Heroes, after Sonic Adventure 2 people just seem to think that it was the last best 3D Sonic game, which is wrooooooooooooong. I think Sonic Heroes was the last best 3D Sonic game before Sega got shit right again, for the reason SA 2 is fun, good gameplay, and a cheesy story.

Overrated - Assassin's Creed Series, I've said this more then once, but this series suckssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 19:32:18 Reply

At 4/18/12 06:54 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 4/18/12 06:51 PM, naronic wrote:
"Most overrated: No such thing. If a game is rated well, there's always a damn good reason. All else is opinions."
^do you actually believe this?
Yes, because like I said, It's all subjective, and it's all opinions.

Then why did you tack on "All ELSE is opinions"? Isn't a good rating in of itself an opinion?

By this logic Skyrim, Halo Reach and Halo 3, both deserve the ratings they received full heartily.

Also, if this is what you really meant, then wouldn't this same logic apply towards bad ratings? Why are the quote on quote "hipsters" whom dislike certain games doing it out of bandwagoning but the same doesn't apply towards people whom like certain games? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1302245

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 19:59:06 Reply

At 4/18/12 07:38 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Okay, it's obvious you're trying to turn this into an argument. Why not take it to the PM system so we don't derail these fine folks' thread?

Why can't there be more people like you? Thank you for being considerate. You deserve a high five of some sort.

On topic... I think the TimeSplitters series is a bit underrated, compared to juggernauts such as Call of Duty, Halo, and Battlefield. At best, I spot TimeSplitters fans by the dozens, compared to say the thousands of Halo fans. I feel like the games deserve more attention than they're given.

As for being overrated, some of my answers were already used by others: Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, to name a few. Don't get me wrong, I like those games, but I know they are not perfect (For example, Skyrim can be described "As wide as an ocean, but as deep as a puddle"). Personally, I think Battlefield 3 is overrated, at least on consoles. Maybe they'll change my mind with some Dinosaur DLC.

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 20:28:48 Reply

At 4/18/12 07:59 PM, Klobb17 wrote:
At 4/18/12 07:38 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Okay, it's obvious you're trying to turn this into an argument. Why not take it to the PM system so we don't derail these fine folks' thread?
Why can't there be more people like you? Thank you for being considerate. You deserve a high five of some sort.

Alright alright, I'll give...

BBS Signature
Playfordeath001
Playfordeath001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 22:37:34 Reply

Underrated: Jet Force Gemini. I

I felt as though NOBODY payed much attention this game, and nobody ever really bought it. The aiming was a little bit tricky at times, but it was a perfect game for the N64.

Overated: CoD series of course, and Zelda Ocarina Of Time.

You can already pretty much guess the CoD reason, but it seems OoT was VERY overrated and lived up to its hype. It was a fantastic game, but it still had its flaws, a little bit to overrated for me though.

Gawd. I hate my NG username. PSN: ChewyOwnz

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 23:02:09 Reply

RWG, why is that you somehow start arguments everywhere you go? Most of the time unintentionally?

II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 23:13:49 Reply

Underrated: War of The Monsters

Overrated: Skyrim

QOTW: "I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 23:29:00 Reply

There are many games that I can think of that I would consider underrated, but the most pressing example would be any fighting game not named Street Fighter {or Capcom}, Tekken or MK. Granted, games like Guilty Gear, Melty Blood and BlazBlue would be considered niche titles by gamer standards, but most of them happen to be as enjoyable and sometimes more than the bigger name fighters.

As for overrated, I would go with Demon's Souls. {although you can make a case that it's underrated as well.} While it's a decent game and certainly a challenge to play, I don't think it's worth all of the hype that the fans and even critics are giving it, considering that the enemies are very cheap and unforgiving, the fact that you can't pause to even think of a strategy which means you have to do everything on the fly, and in general, it's more frustrating and tedious than fun. While I do appreciate a challenging game now and then, a game that would be considered cheap and frustrating on this magnitude will ruin whatever interest I had of playing or recommending this game to anyone except for the hardcore.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-18 23:30:23 Reply

The most underated game I've played? I've played quite a few, but some that come to mind are DJ Boy for the Sega Genesis and Universal Soldier, Also Sega Genesis. I notice a lot of people found DJ Boy too hard due to it only giving you one life for the entire game (besides being able to buy 1 extra one by the end of the game). The game isn't that hard, it just takes a little practice. It's a auto-scrolling beat'em up, which is a very unique genre in my opinon (if that even counts as a genre).

The other game, Universal Soldier, gets a lot of hate from what I've seen. People play the first level, get game over from not knowing how to play, and say the game is horrible. I found it to be a awesome side-scrolling shooter with great music, fun gameplay, and good replay value. It's a shame it's not very known.

For overated, it's already been said, but it's the Call of Duty series once it got online. I loved the earlier games like Call Of Duty 2: Big Red One, because it gave that feeling of war with enjoyable gameplay and a relatively long single player mode, keeping you playing for quite awhile. Once the series got online, it kind of died for me. It's only getting worse as time goes on. When people act like all games other than Call Of Duty suck, it really pisses me off.

"It's easier to talk about the bad than to understand the good." - Jirard Khalil "This was a mistake." - Jirard Khalil, 2013 "WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE! GET READY. . ."

BBS Signature
Klik
Klik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 00:32:29 Reply

Underated: MadWorld
Overated: Skyrim

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 01:27:24 Reply

I've spent quite a while thinking about this and I still can't come to a definite answer.

I guess I'll just throw some games out there, but I'm not sure if they're my own personal most underrated. I'm not going to say games that are overrated because honestly there is way too many of them. You've got the CoD series, Halo series, Assassin Creed series, I could go on forever.

As for underrated gems, I'll lay out a few.
(A lot of rpgs, well most of them are)
Breath of Fire
-I'm actually going to go in depth with this one. The original and III are my personal favorites and I really do not understand why people prefer the sequel over the original. The game was just fantastic.

Suikoden II
-Almost unparalleled narrative with some of the most eclectic cast of characters in any rpg. Fun gameplay, fantastic music, amazing villain, decent graphics, sold like shit. Why?

Legend of Dragoon
-Released at the end of the PS1 life cycle, and also one of the best visually on the system. I loved the story, characters, music, game world. Fantastic game.

Okami
-Beautiful and imho the last great work by Capcom. Some people say it's the best Zelda game that isn't actually Zelda, and uses a very unique paintbrushing feature. Loved this game.

Ico
-The king of all underrated titles. I could easily go off on a full thirty page rant about how this game is perfect in nearly every sense, but I won't.

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 03:48:01 Reply

I don't think Assassin's Creed games are overrated.I mean they've got a good story(I mean Desmond's story not Ezio's) and a very good in my opinion gameplay.But it isn't that popular or it doesn't have many fans(and fanboys) so that it an be called overrated.Furthermore although I am a great fan I admit that after AC II the gameplay is almost the same.

Most overrated:All or almost all Pro evolution and FIFA games(soccer/football)
I've heard people talking about CoD games being the same in every new release.I say that too,in fact.But football games ARE the same every year.But people keep buying them since there is a notable change always:The players that have been transferred are in their new team in the game.
CoD I wouldn't say it is overrated.It is a fairly great game with a very good multiplayer.
Most underrated:My Newgrounds - video game- forum campaign about GTA IV continues.GTA IV as the most underrated game for me.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

Chaos-Player
Chaos-Player
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 07:48:42 Reply

At 4/18/12 06:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I think I still have Chaos Legion somewhere. It was decent, but I got to a point where I kept dying and didn't care enough to keep trying. And the level designs were pretty bad. I still liked it, though.

overrated? probably WoW or maybe Gears of War, though Gears is okay.

underrated? I'll go with Heart of Darkness, one of the best games I've ever played. It's either that or Mischief Makers.

This reminded me of Shadow Heart's becuase of the title and i used to play at my friends house he had Heart of Darkness it was a very funny, entertaining game we never got to the end of the game though its a shame he lost it...

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 09:56:10 Reply

overrated: Bioshock fucking EVERYTHING
underrated: Rayman origins. WHY AREN'T YOU BUYING THIS GAME?!

I'm just a dreamer. steam profile

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 12:01:37 Reply

Overrated: Skyrim of OoT. I can't stand how bland and the amount of memes Skyrim is and has created. As for OoT, I love it to death, and anybody who's seen me post knows that LoZ is my favorite video game series ever, but OoT is far from being the greatest game in the series, let alone the greatest game of all time.

Underrated: I'd like to say Cave Story for the fact it's an indie game, but it's pretty well known.

BBS Signature
IrishGun
IrishGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 15:45:35 Reply

At 4/18/12 07:32 PM, naronic wrote: By this logic Skyrim, Halo Reach and Halo 3, both deserve the ratings they received full heartily.

I've never played Halo Reach or Halo 3, but I think Skyrim did deserve the ratings it got.

#sweg #huzzledongs #sweg

BBS Signature
Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Most Underated and Overated 2012-04-19 20:23:46 Reply

Underrated: Downhill Domination, The Chronicles of Riddick games, and Bulletstorm. These are all B+ or A- games, though I have thoroughly enjoyed them replay after replay. I actually have played Downhill Domination so much that it crashes after a while because I have too much money/points that I can't spend. Riddick is slightly deeper than it looks, and the graphics are good. Bulletstorm is fun with it's humor.

Overrated: I have yet to buy a game that was significantly less than I expected, although I would say Mass Effect, even though I had lots of fun with it, it isn't THAT awesome. It's a 93/100 game, not a 1000/100 game.

I would give Final Fantasy a rating, but I haven't played any of them yet. Suggestion?

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature