Be a Supporter!
spanishmnm
spanishmnm
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Melancholy
Same music 2012-04-17 22:19:15 Reply

Music seems the same everyday. Same rythm, same sounds, same lyrics, same volume.
Why isn't there as much originality as in the past?


Pie is good, eat it, or else I'll kick your face.

dlxrevolution
dlxrevolution
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:20:35 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:19 PM, spanishmnm wrote: Music seems the same everyday. Same rythm, same sounds, same lyrics, same volume.
Why isn't there as much originality as in the past?

One word:

Money.


Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature
Nor
Nor
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Reader
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:21:47 Reply

Hipster.


わたしのぺにす

BBS Signature
BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:22:41 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:19 PM, spanishmnm wrote:
Why isn't there as much originality as in the past?

Because it's always been that way?


I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
spanishmnm
spanishmnm
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:23:01 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Because people like Skrillex somehow get followings despite making generic shitty music. ( If you even call that, Or dubstep for that matter music. )

I used to like dubstep, but now I see it's just a crazy mashup of
derranged electronic music.
It sucks.


Pie is good, eat it, or else I'll kick your face.

BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:27:20 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:23 PM, spanishmnm wrote:
At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Because people like Skrillex somehow get followings despite making generic shitty music. ( If you even call that, Or dubstep for that matter music. )
I used to like dubstep, but now I see it's just a crazy mashup of
derranged electronic music.
It sucks.

There should really be like a Hipster section of the BBS. For cartoon nostalgia, people who don't like dubstep anymore, and Neutral Milk Hotel fans.


I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Member since: May. 26, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Animator
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:28:00 Reply

Listen to some more genres.


my threads are doing iron man numbers and I don't care anymore
what are you, like, 12? get away from me, kid i got cigarettes to eat
Fucking jocks and their sports ties.

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:28:36 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Because people like Skrillex somehow get followings despite making generic shitty music. ( If you even call that, Or dubstep for that matter music. )

Skrillex does Brostep, REAL DUBSTEP is kind of like a reggae electronic beat. Sadly, kids call that "chillstep".


BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:29:53 Reply

Dubstep is all the same, as is techno nowadays. Pop music has fucking died with Michael, but not because he died, just coincidence. There isn't any genuine rock that isn't some emo fucker screaming nonsensical words into a mic, and all rap is more or less about breaking the law and "bitches".

I hope you brought an umbrella, because it's raining cold hard FACTS in this post.


|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Artist
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:35:01 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:31 PM, Otto wrote:
At 4/17/12 10:29 PM, SolidToad wrote: There isn't any genuine rock that isn't some emo fucker screaming nonsensical words into a mic, and all rap is more or less about breaking the law and "bitches".
Well hey now son you're wrong there, so so wrong. Problem is, so much has 'been done' that the good stuff is hard to find. The Raconteurs disbanded only like a year ago but they made some really tasty rock music. You want good rap, listen to a lot of the UK hip hop scene, people like Akala.

Go on son, you're not even trying to look, I think you prefer hating music to music.

No, I am just having a bad 3 hour period, so I figured I'd shit on the music industry for raping and abandoning those of us with good music taste.


|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:35:26 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Because people like Skrillex somehow get followings despite making generic shitty music. ( If you even call that, Or dubstep for that matter music. )

Couldn't agree more with this, all music seems monetary based or just people who want fame.

At 4/17/12 10:21 PM, NightOwlRoost wrote: Hipster.

dude.


I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:35:48 Reply

Only so many things can be done before there's nothing new left to do. I don't listen to the radio, I dunno

spanishmnm
spanishmnm
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:36:49 Reply

I'm no hipster.


Pie is good, eat it, or else I'll kick your face.

BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:38:37 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:35 PM, saqwert wrote: I don't listen to the radio, I dunno

Ding ding ding. Seriously, if you want "originality"(which alot of times is bad depending on the style) or substance, listen to underground, the radio/mainstream music providers are just trying to pump out the stuff that appeals to more people to make money.

This isn't rocket science.


I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:48:12 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:19 PM, spanishmnm wrote: Music seems the same everyday. Same rythm, same sounds, same lyrics, same volume.
Why isn't there as much originality as in the past?

Stop listening to pop music on the radio. Derp.

If you want different music, you need to dig for it.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
MrFlopz
MrFlopz
  • Member since: Mar. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:49:13 Reply

Because you've barely scratched the surface.


The average person has only one testicle.

BBS Signature
SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 22:50:12 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:35 PM, MrRager wrote:
At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Because people like Skrillex somehow get followings despite making generic shitty music. ( If you even call that, Or dubstep for that matter music. )
Couldn't agree more with this, all music seems monetary based or just people who want fame.

You've gotta look harder, man. Look around here for a bit, and then tell me they're just doing it for the money.


Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Writer
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 23:18:05 Reply

Turn of the radio and T.V. and listen to your own shit. Mainstream media/music is programmed a certain way to keep whats trendy and appealing in circulation for a reason


Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 23:22:34 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Because people like Skrillex somehow get followings despite making generic shitty music. ( If you even call that, Or dubstep for that matter music. )

Hey, Skrillex is awesome. Everyone has their own opinion.


R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
GucciMane
GucciMane
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Same music 2012-04-17 23:29:59 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, dlxrevolution wrote:
One word:

Money.

That makes no sense.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Member since: May. 28, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Artist
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 01:29:47 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:19 PM, spanishmnm wrote: Music seems the same everyday. Same rythm, same sounds, same lyrics, same volume.

Try not listening to generic top-forty tweenage bullshit for once.

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 01:52:28 Reply

Want different rhythm? Meshuggah
Different sounds? Sunn O)))
Different lyrics? Dissection
You do know that volume is adjustable, right? Usually a knob, or two buttons with - and + on them.

There is more music out there than you can possibly imagine. If you want to hear it, you have to go beyond what is advertised. It just takes a bit of effort and persistence.


It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 02:18:09 Reply

If 96.9 plays Tom Sawyer again, I swear.

Either that, or CRAP.

==I LOVE YOU. EBOLA-CHAN! GOOD LUCK, EBOLA-CHAN! WE'RE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU, EBOLA-CHAN!==

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 02:21:55 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:19 PM, spanishmnm wrote: Music seems the same everyday. Same rythm, same sounds, same lyrics, same volume.
Why isn't there as much originality as in the past?

So in the last few days, I have listenned to :

Boris - Very prolific Japanese band. Their music genres include Drone Doom, Sludge Metal, Stoner Rock/Metal and Dream Pop.

Daniel Bélanger - Very good popular artist in Québec. He has good music with accoustic guitar, a nice bass line and great lyrics.

Sonata Arctica - Which is a Symphonic Power Metal band from Finland.

Agalloch - A band from Oregon that mixes elements from Post-Rock, Neofolk, Black Metal, Folk Metal, Gothic Rock and more genres. This band's albums are all very different. So this band alone displays the great diversity in music.

Chasse-Galerie - A Black Metal band from Québec.

Forteresse - Another Black Metal band from Québec, but far more atmospheric than Chasse-Galerie and with more layered textures than Chasse-Galerie.

Crotchduster - They are an american parody band. They mix elements of Grindcore, Death Metal, Punk, Rap, Pop, etc. Funny and skilled musicians.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Is a Technical Death Metal band with great Neo-Classical music elements in their riffs.

Darude - A well-known Techno artist with great skills.

Black Sabbath - You know they. They iniated Doom Metal and basically kick-started the whole Metal genre.

Kalmah - Finnish Melodic Death Metal band. They stand out by their great lead and rhythm guitar work and very melodic yet still agressive and creative song-writting.

Dream Theater - The Progressive Metal band who released the outstanding masterpiece that is the album Images & Words.

Aghora - They play a mix of Progressive Metal and Fusion Jazz. Interresting band that sadly... doesn't exist anymore...

Lantlôs - A band that mixes elements of Atmospheric Black Metal with Shoegaze.

Ulver - A band with a great discography. They started out as a Black/Folk Metal band, then moved forward to a rawer approach of Black Metal, than they moved toward Neofolk to finaly end up writting soundtracks for movies. They now play Ambient/Electronic music. Another good example of great diversity in music.

UFO - One of the most influential bands in Progressive Rock :)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - One of the greatest bands in music. They write Post-Rock that doesn't sound anything like other Post-Rock bands. They have guitars, cellos, violins, bass. They are amazing and unique.

Should I go on ?

ThePhantomGamer
ThePhantomGamer
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 02:23:13 Reply

Because everything has been done.


.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 02:26:27 Reply

At 4/18/12 01:29 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 4/17/12 10:19 PM, spanishmnm wrote: Music seems the same everyday. Same rythm, same sounds, same lyrics, same volume.
Try not listening to generic top-forty tweenage bullshit for once.

I recommand this and a good dose of quality music :)

Landpaddle
Landpaddle
  • Member since: Jan. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 12:13:54 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:30 PM, Otto wrote:
At 4/17/12 10:27 PM, MiloBased wrote: There should really be like a Hipster section of the BBS. For cartoon nostalgia, people who don't like dubstep anymore, and Neutral Milk Hotel fans.
Hey now you leave Neutral Milk Hotel out of this, though I do like your specific reference to them being hipsterish which is pretty bang on actually

Neutral Milk Hotel? Nah, they're all out hipster credentials nowadays. It's like the gush over OK Computer for being the best album ever, except, twisted into enjoying overcompressed campfire music. You'd be surprised at how many people don't give two shits over (post-) production, producers, or mastering with their laptop speakers or Dre's Beats.

But really...

Improvised MIDI Guitar and such are beast enough to warrant all the shitslosh circulating your sensitive ear nubs nowadays.

And to all those who truly hate dubtep...

Article

Followup article


Mental Music for Thinkers and Doers

CheapTrick
CheapTrick
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 12:56:52 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:36 PM, spanishmnm wrote: I'm no hipster.

You see, you won't find original music if you only listen to billboard 100 and the radio, you need to dig deeper and find bands that aren't mainstream.

Just because you like underground and not so popular music means that you're a hipster, just don't start a pretentious fag and you're gonna be ok.


Putting back fun in funeral.

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 13:08:14 Reply

At 4/17/12 10:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Because people like Skrillex somehow get followings despite making generic shitty music. ( If you even call that, Or dubstep for that matter music. )

Skrillex sounds like a vacuum cleaner and Skrillex is also for hipsters

also inb4 Skrillex music is dance music


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

JaY11
JaY11
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Same music 2012-04-18 13:17:24 Reply

if you think all modern music is bad you're not looking hard enough for good music, the past had lots of bad music too