New Topic Respond to this Topic
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:02 AM Reply

I keep seeing stuff about its anniversary everywhere. T.v, video games, youtube, bookstores and etc.

I know its the 100th anniversary but does it really warrant all this shit?

Will people continue worshiping 9/11 100, 200 and even 300 years into the future? No offense but as a non-American I really wouldn't mind it if it wasn't such a big deal in my country. They sent a fucking group to my high school to talk to us about 9/11, the war on terror and Iraq and the worst part was it was a replacement for a book author that was going to come to our school and apparently it was a mandatory thing by the state government or something.

I don't mind the remembrance of 9/11 too much since it reminds us to be vigilant of terrorism and it happened not too long ago, but the Titanic seems relatively unimportant to me (as in not warranting so much remembrance) yet from the looks of it its momentum has only increased in the last 100 years i mean come on fellas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:04 AM Reply

Right. 100 years ago some boat sank. I don't give a fuck.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:05 AM Reply

will people stop worshipping?
probably not as long as the people keep buying the movie

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
SKHM
SKHM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:07 AM Reply

the titanic story is fascinating

you can view it in many ways

a parable about pride, industrialization, technology, or even class

you could also just be interested in the history of it as it captures the turn of the 20th century perfectly

G O D - B L E S S - A F R I C A
LAST.FM
CROWNED CHAMPION OF "FAPITUDE" BY BEARDKILLER

BBS Signature
SoapyCola
SoapyCola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:13 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 04:07 AM, SKHM wrote: you could also just be interested in the history of it as it captures the turn of the 20th century perfectly

Or the tits they show in the movie.

Skaren made my Icon and Sig.

BBS Signature
SKHM
SKHM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:15 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 04:13 AM, SoapyCola wrote:
At 4/16/12 04:07 AM, SKHM wrote: you could also just be interested in the history of it as it captures the turn of the 20th century perfectly
Or the tits they show in the movie.

is that what you are interested in, soapycola?

do you get really horny when you see tits?

did you watch this film with your family and have to hide your erection from your family's prying eyes?

do you think your mother noticed anyways?

were you embarrassed?

G O D - B L E S S - A F R I C A
LAST.FM
CROWNED CHAMPION OF "FAPITUDE" BY BEARDKILLER

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:20 AM Reply

After the Titanic, it will be the 100th anniversary of the famous assassination that starts World War I, and then the torpedoing of the Lusitania (Another great boat) which brings the Americans into the war.

100 year old history aside, I've always been fascinated with the story of the Titanic since I was a kid.

SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:57 AM Reply

I wouldn't mind a few memorials or something, but yesterday 3 different channels had fictionalised films about the titanic and one had a documentary.
Fucking overkill.

gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Gamer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 04:02 AM, Halberd wrote: No offense but as a non-American I really wouldn't mind it if it wasn't such a big deal in my country.

No offence meant here Halberd. But what has 'The Titanic' got to do with Americans? The ship was British and it didn't even make it to it's final destination of New York. So the Americans have nothing to do with it besides making the movie.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 09:32 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 07:07 AM, gamejunkie wrote:
At 4/16/12 04:02 AM, Halberd wrote: No offense but as a non-American I really wouldn't mind it if it wasn't such a big deal in my country.
No offence meant here Halberd. But what has 'The Titanic' got to do with Americans? The ship was British and it didn't even make it to it's final destination of New York. So the Americans have nothing to do with it besides making the movie.

The fact that he thinks people are "worshipping" the tragedies pretty much tells us about him. Just don't tell him that it wasn't the Germans that bombed the Pearl Harbor or that Bush set up 9/11 to declare war for oil (there are people who actually believe that).

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Gamer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 04:04 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Right. 100 years ago some boat sank. I don't give a fuck.

OOOF! That's a little bit harsh don't you think? I don't think it's so much being about that the boat sank, I think it's more to do with the amount of lives that were lost unnecessarily. But I'm just assuming and that in itself is not a good thing.

Falonefal
Falonefal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Filmmaker
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 09:47 AM Reply

Time to sink my own Titanic in a huge iceberg.

wait wh-

Tick Tock

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:46 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 07:07 AM, gamejunkie wrote:

The Titanic survivors were rescued by the RMS Carpathia and taken to New York, most of them stayed on in America(I guess they didn't fancy taking another cruise back) so some descendants of the Titanic live in America.

Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply

Halberd for worst troll 2012.

Itachi888Uchiha
Itachi888Uchiha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:53 PM Reply

Um, well, the Titanic incident made it mandatory for their to be a spot in a lifeboat for every person aboard a cruise liner. Cruises also have safety orientations before you leave the harbor or soon after usually. So it is important. It was also the worst movie DiCaprio starred in.

BBS Signature
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 01:03 PM Reply

One of the most deadly peaceful maritime disasters occurred, taking nearly 1,500 lives and standardizing safety precautions for naval vessels since then isn't a big deal to you?

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 01:12 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 12:46 PM, SnoopyChicken wrote: most of them stayed on in America(I guess they didn't fancy taking another cruise back) so some descendants of the Titanic live in America.

I thought there were many fortune seekers amongst them who weren't planning a return trip anyway.

I suppose all this attention mostly comes from the re-release of the Titanic film. Personally I don't think remembering it is so bad. The event has taught us a few important things and it made a good story.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 12:53 PM, Itachi888Uchiha wrote: Um, well, the Titanic incident made it mandatory for their to be a spot in a lifeboat for every person aboard a cruise liner. Cruises also have safety orientations before you leave the harbor or soon after usually. So it is important. It was also the worst movie DiCaprio starred in.

Uhhhh, The Beach anyone?

Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 01:23 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 04:04 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Right. 100 years ago some boat sank. I don't give a fuck.

You forgot to mention that it was a boat full of wealthy white people.

RIP wealthy white people, you'll never be forgotten (even if nobody cares).

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 12:53 PM, Itachi888Uchiha wrote: Um, well, the Titanic incident made it mandatory for their to be a spot in a lifeboat for every person aboard a cruise liner. Cruises also have safety orientations before you leave the harbor or soon after usually. So it is important. It was also the worst movie DiCaprio starred in.

Didn't the movie shot DiCaprio to stardom to the point that he was essentially the Bieber of the movie industry? Not to mention it further push the trend that it is mandatory for his character to die in almost every films he's in.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 02:43 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 01:23 PM, Rallard wrote:
You forgot to mention that it was a boat full of wealthy white people.

RIP wealthy white people, you'll never be forgotten (even if nobody cares).

So the people in the third class (makes up the majority of the deaths) who planned to immigrate to the U.S. are wealthy as well?

Whoever thought working class people are rich.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
SouthAsian
SouthAsian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:30 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 04:02 AM, Halberd wrote:

They sent a fucking group to my high school to talk to us about 9/11, the war on terror and Iraq and the worst part was it was a replacement for a book author that was going to come to our school and apparently it was a mandatory thing by the state government or something.

lol seriously?Im from the US and we never got some group to talk to us about it.I find it all the more humorous that you live all the way in Australia!woooow.

Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:31 PM Reply

Titanic is important because it helped set modern water vessel safety standards etc etc.

Fuck the TItanic. Just sayin'.

ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM Reply

I still haven't seen the movie.

I've wanted to for a long time.

But I think I'll let all the publicity die down first.

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM Reply

it's already been 100 years since the release of that movie? cool

Xergozy
Xergozy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:42 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 01:23 PM, Rallard wrote: You forgot to mention that it was a boat full of wealthy white people.

RIP wealthy white people

Heartless much

Whats the big deal with the Titanic

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 09:39 AM, gamejunkie wrote: OOOF! That's a little bit harsh don't you think? I don't think it's so much being about that the boat sank, I think it's more to do with the amount of lives that were lost unnecessarily. But I'm just assuming and that in itself is not a good thing.

I just don't get why it's more important than anything else.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Xergozy
Xergozy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Whats the big deal with the Titanic Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 03:43 PM, Sensationalism wrote: I just don't get why it's more important than anything else.

It's not, just people talk about the Titanic because guess what? The 100th anniversary is this year.

not rocket science