00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

- N A T A - Open Round!

71,678 Views | 635 Replies

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 11:12:23

Motivation block... NOT NOW!!! ... Brb going to buy more energy drinks

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 11:47:17

damn just realised theres only a week and a bit left and i haven't even written a script :s. better get cracking. also quick question regarding stretching of the theme, what if time travel isn't discovered in the animation but the protagonist thinks hes time travelled for most of it? is that allowed?

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 11:53:11

Burnt my brain out the last few days from working too hard and caffeine overdoses. Good news though, my cintiq comes on thursday.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 11:55:35

At 5/1/12 11:47 AM, JoHobo2 wrote: damn just realised theres only a week and a bit left and i haven't even written a script :s. better get cracking. also quick question regarding stretching of the theme, what if time travel isn't discovered in the animation but the protagonist thinks hes time travelled for most of it? is that allowed?

I don't see why not, it's still about discovering time travel even if the guy is just imagining it. No one said it had to be science fiction.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 12:16:02

At 5/1/12 11:53 AM, BPremo wrote: Burnt my brain out the last few days from working too hard and caffeine overdoses. Good news though, my cintiq comes on thursday.

Nice bro, i haven't hade the chance to burn out yet. But all that's about to change, goin' to the store to pick up a 24 pack of energy drinks.

Btw, which cintiq are you gettin'? :)

If i had a goat, i'd probably have one more goat then you. Unless you're a farmer or something...

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 13:10:22

At 5/1/12 12:38 AM, theOtter wrote: Quick question about copyright: You say not to use real products or names. Would there be any problem with referencing the DeLorean or Doc Brown from Back to the Future? Doc Brown would not be a character, but instead only referenced in the dialogue. On the other hand, the DeLorean and its likeness would be used in the actual animation.

I know copyright is a touchy issue, so I can understand either ruling. However, my animation would benefit by allowing both references.

Remember that originality is a judging category, and depending too much on pop culture references may harm your score.

With that said, the DeLorean shouldn't be a problem, it's more copyright property as a car than a movie prop, so I don't see a problem. Don't mention Doc Brown, but perhaps come up with a spoof name (ie. Boc Drown, Doc Gray, etc.)

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 17:13:49

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 18:51:03

At 5/1/12 12:16 PM, RainbowHorse wrote: Btw, which cintiq are you gettin'? :)

A good ole 12 incher hmmm mmmm mmm.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 19:22:45

i got a question, can our animation entry just revolve around the idea of time travel? does actual time travel have to occur in our entry?

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-01 19:38:29

At 5/1/12 05:13 PM, Matija27 wrote: Here is my submission :)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/594781

Pretty unique idea, there. Good job!

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 01:35:27

At 5/1/12 07:22 PM, AcreHill wrote: i got a question, can our animation entry just revolve around the idea of time travel? does actual time travel have to occur in our entry?

Excellent question! So from what I gathered from the previous years I did this, the theme can be interpreted in whichever way you interpret it, be it literal or more philosophical. I tended to try and think outside the box when it came to incorporating the theme into my pieces, while others work rather well literally. Point I'm saying is, if you can back it up why you chose to go the route you did in your description (if its farther out there) then I think its legal. What do you think NATA?

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 02:47:11

At 5/2/12 01:35 AM, DaveBruno wrote: Excellent question! So from what I gathered from the previous years I did this, the theme can be interpreted in whichever way you interpret it, be it literal or more philosophical. I tended to try and think outside the box when it came to incorporating the theme into my pieces, while others work rather well literally. Point I'm saying is, if you can back it up why you chose to go the route you did in your description (if its farther out there) then I think its legal. What do you think NATA?

Absolutely. The theme is simply in place to inspire and to ensure people are not re-using old animations for the sake of the contest.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 08:42:17

At 5/2/12 08:36 AM, Monsieur-Monsieur wrote: Ahah, your entry was funny Matija, i think the score is kinda low.

Anyway, time for dumb storyboard of the beginning of my project I made in one hours and half...Yeah

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b8501cb94c54d7b1b6f5921c a6e7b294

nice. your device thingy looks almost identical to the one in mine though. :s

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 10:36:09

progress report:
story: 100%
animatic/rough animation: 10-25%
clean animation: 0%
backgrounds: 0%
colour: 0%
audio: 0%

what I did last night: here
I havent put any actionscript on the placeholder preloader yet so you need to right-click > play to watch it

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 12:55:12

Okay - time to put my pants back on and work hard for last few days like never before!

Here if you want - i put a short timelapse of me working on my piece (or how i call it 'FAILnimating' :D) Oh right here
It shows me working on things a little before that wip that i've already shown ya

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 13:37:25

Aww carp. Just ran out of dr. pepper. How am i supposed to animate now... (>'OwO)>

Todays progress so far:

(Still can't get the actionscript for the meny to work properly though.)

- N A T A - Open Round!

If i had a goat, i'd probably have one more goat then you. Unless you're a farmer or something...

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 14:00:36

At 5/2/12 01:37 PM, RainbowHorse wrote: Aww carp. Just ran out of dr. pepper. How am i supposed to animate now... (>'OwO)>

Todays progress so far:

(Still can't get the actionscript for the meny to work properly though.)

I jiggled after reading your subtitle in menu ;D "For NAPA" ;3

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 14:19:51

At 5/2/12 02:00 PM, DuDuL wrote:
I jiggled after reading your subtitle in menu ;D "For NAPA" ;3

Didn't really know what else to put there. :P

Btw, "Time Machine" is just a working title. :)

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 14:56:01

i feel like im the only one in NATA with non comedy mood in entry :o

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 15:41:01

ah ja, forgot. Sorry bro.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 16:39:18

Why can't i get the GODDAMN CODE TO WORK!!!???

(I need help.)

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 17:14:06

93 seconds animated, 29 seconds to go. Then I have to do sound effects and a short credit reel. Should take me until right around the deadline.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 18:02:04

Well, after procrastination I might not get out a great entry, but it will be fun just to see what people think about mine.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 22:26:55

Closing in on being finished...
I just need to do some lip synching, finish some backgrounds, and a lil more animation and imma be done!

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-02 22:35:59

At 5/2/12 10:26 PM, dangoval95 wrote: Closing in on being finished...
I just need to do some lip synching, finish some backgrounds, and a lil more animation and imma be done!

Same, I'm on schedule to finish everything by at least the 9th.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-03 01:08:57

At 5/2/12 10:35 PM, BobyB64 wrote:
At 5/2/12 10:26 PM, dangoval95 wrote: Closing in on being finished...
Same, I'm on schedule to finish everything by at least the 9th.

Yeah, I think if i go flat out I can probably just about get it done in time. It may look a bit rushed though but thats my fault for starting so late.

Also NATA, is thor going to be giving feedback again this year? He gave me some really helpful advice last year and i was hoping for some more of the same again this year.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-03 01:57:51

Question time!

Is it allowed to use a bit of previous animation for a reasonably insignificant part of this animation?
I want to use my tesseract from last year on a screen inside a time machine.

In other news, I'm way behind. But that's normal.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-03 11:52:01

This contest might be a good way to start a series... heh, time to get to work.
I wish the best of luck to everyone else in the contest, 'cus this is gonna be a tough tournament.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-03 12:34:00

Looks like my animation will be about 4 minutes long.

Went down to the studio today and recorded all the voices for my submission. :)

Progress update:

Storyboard: 100%
Voices: 100%
Music: 100%
Animation: 20%

(Still can't get the damn code to work...)

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-05-03 13:14:03

At 5/3/12 01:57 AM, sandwich-eater wrote: Question time!

Is it allowed to use a bit of previous animation for a reasonably insignificant part of this animation?
I want to use my tesseract from last year on a screen inside a time machine.

In other news, I'm way behind. But that's normal.

Thats a good question.... I dont know! lol What do you think NATA?