Respond to this Topic
DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 10:55 PM Reply

I am having some serious problems with the Starbarians video. The audio in it is playing fine, but the video is jumping back and forth constantly, rendering it wholly unwatchable. Since I know I can't describe it accurately, I fired up CamStudio and recorded the first few seconds to show what I get in Firefox (with AdBlock) and Chrome (without AdBlock) when I try to watch it. Here it is (roughly 2.5MB).

Now, being the clever person that I am, I used Firefox to do some snooping and was able to download the mp4 file locally. When I play it here, both the audio and video are messed up. So I think it's the video file.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Please help fund my horror novel. I'll love you forever.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 4/15/12 10:55 PM, DiMono wrote:

Now, being the clever person that I am, I used Firefox to do some snooping and was able to download the mp4 file locally. When I play it here, both the audio and video are messed up. So I think it's the video file.

if it works fine for other people, then theres no way it could be the file

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 11:36 PM Reply

Most flash movies are missing progress bars. This would solve that problem, at the cost of higher file size, lower quality, frame rate, and inability to hide single frame easter eggs. It's a nice feature still. Looking forward to filter raped movies and 3D animations.

BBS Signature
BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 11:36 PM Reply

When you say that the video submissions will be on an invite-only basis, does that mean that it will run sort of like the Art Portal does, where approved people can approve of other people?

Then again, I'm not sure how this could work, unless 'unscouted' people uploaded their video work to their blogs and were discovered that way.

Either way, it will be neat to see how videos may be implemented into Newgrounds. I'd expect much higher standards than Youtube, of course, which as others are saying may increase some traffic to Newgrounds.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
King-Duckford
King-Duckford
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:02 AM Reply

Best to keep this invite only forever. If live video is allowed, this place will just turn into a mini Youtube full of junk. Cover charge keeps the riff raff out, and making people post in flash format helps keep the portal solid animation and games like it always has been, allowing easy access to post videos will lead to an endless crapflood of little kids and idiots posting whatever they record on a camera all over the portal. Making formats easier just makes it easier for non artists to post the kind of stuff that's not wanted here.

The worst thing is, it potentially turns this place into a war for e-fame, as youtube is now to full for most people to get their foot in the door. With free video posting, every dick with a camera will post here and get all there non-Newgrounds friends and similar artists to flood this place and launch voting wars that will destroy good works here to promote utter crap. I don't want a bunch of people thinking they will be the next Fred or the big thing by posting moronic videos to Newgrounds thinking it will laucnh them somewhere. I seriously think free video posting could destroy Newgrounds.

Just saying.

BBS Signature
Gerkinman
Gerkinman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 4/15/12 10:51 PM, Blordow wrote: Can anyone confirm whether or not the swf converter will be able to work on mac? God I hope so :(

Yeah, Mac really needs it more then the PC crowd do since they can export things nicely as .mov's anyway. Most of the pro animators I know use Macs and we kind of need an alternative to taking things into AE or Premier to export them.

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:11 AM Reply

Starbarians is out FINALLY.

I was beginning to think it was all just a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 4/15/12 11:14 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 4/15/12 10:55 PM, DiMono wrote:

if it works fine for other people, then theres no way it could be the file

I fired up VLC Player as another test program, and it played fine. I guess the particular installation of GOM Player I have just can't handle that file. Weird.

So we're back to the player in the website then. Is anyone else having a similar problem to the one I posted about?

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Please help fund my horror novel. I'll love you forever.

Zombie-Pimp
Zombie-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:48 AM Reply

this is a big day for newgrounds.

The video player looks great in yellow, but the play button didn't work for me. I had to actually click the progress bar instead of the play button to start playing the movie, and then it would skip to wherever i clicked and start playing from there. It would not start playing unless I did this. Anybody else have this problem?

FrozenFire
FrozenFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Game Developer
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 01:15 AM Reply

Yeah Tom I'm using Mozilla, no Adblock, and sometime I too get the never load glitch.

I'm using a wired ethernet connection that my University provides (Pretty reliable and fast) and I still have to buffer mid stream a bit. Will there eventually be a quality option or do we have to view at maximum? (I only ask because I could see that as an issue for a lot of people)

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:38 AM Reply

Nice quality, the player seems more solid than Youtube's even. Although I can imagine this costing a lot more bandwidth, but traffic will probably increase a lot with all the new animators coming in.

Kamikaye
Kamikaye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Artist
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:59 AM Reply

Wow thats awesome :D
No technical need for paralell youtube uploads anymore for the authors :)

BBS Signature
eatmoreflesh
eatmoreflesh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 05:01 AM Reply

At 4/15/12 09:31 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've been having some other issues where the video simply never loads - that might be the problem you're experiencing. Starbarians is 88 megs which should be manageable for anyone with broadband. Slow computers running 1080p video is another issue though. I liked to think we were late enough to arrive with video that we wouldn't need to cater to all the smaller formats for slower computers / connections... But then I know mobile people especially will likely want smaller versions... BARF.

Still pretty quality player. Everything worked great on my crappy netbook, and most sites that play in 1080p aren't capable of anything like that. Good job guys.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 05:05 AM Reply

At 4/15/12 03:09 PM, TomFulp wrote: NOTE: Starbarians is by HappyHarry, my name appearing is a bug that was triggered by me hitting PUBLISH on his project. 'doh!

So does that mean that we get to apply the standard "steel toecap to the balls" punishment for content thieves here?

They were both uploaded as MP4 files and are playing in our new video player! Starbarians originally consisted of three SWFs, too big to compile as one file. HappyHarry used Swivel, software developed by Mike to perform the best-ever SWF to video conversions. It's full framerate, 1080p (try fullscreen mode) and it even merged his individual SWF files on the fly. Swivel is still in the testing phase but we'll be releasing it to the public when it's all polished up!

This is big - so much for people having the redirect to YouTube for their awesome animations to be seen in all their glory! Great work and a single thing that makes the redesign all worthwhile. The fact that there is more than one of these things that makes me feel like this is only good news for the community.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 05:15 AM Reply

They don't work very well for me.. they have green "static" type stuff all over them.
Unwatchable :(

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 05:23 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 05:15 AM, Shaun wrote: They don't work very well for me.. they have green "static" type stuff all over them.
Unwatchable :(

Its a shame.. the audio makes it sound like im missing out on something special...

Video is a GO!

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Carr77
Carr77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:03 AM Reply

Wow, this is awsome! Newgrounds is getting better and better.
Takes a long time to load movies though :(

Check out my flash animations, and games. I've also made some bad music, and art ;)

Yusuf
Yusuf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:22 AM Reply

It only took me around 2-3 minutes to load 88 MB Starbarians.

Y'all have slow internet.

However, I do agree that you should probably get some kind of system that compresses the video after you upload it, YouTube style. But make sure it doesn't have the same problem the YouTube compressor has with red (it makes bright red look super ugly)

Watch "I Like Vegetables"!
Click below for my website!

BBS Signature
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 07:42 AM Reply

At 4/15/12 03:40 PM, PoopyMcButt wrote: video is a -no- go for me. I've tried 3 browsers and the videos will not work.

I hear audio only, I've tried chrome, opera, and explorer. I have all the latest versions.

I'm also using windows 7 OS

anyone know why this is happening?

I'm using Win 7 as well and chrome. Playback goes smooth until I cut the internet down below 1.2 mb/s or so. Maybe you have slow internet and need to wait for the buffer to fill up.

Bagman07
Bagman07
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 08:15 AM Reply

Hey Starbarians was all glitchy and flickery while BarfQuestion's video was fine.

BBS Signature
GhostDiver
GhostDiver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 08:23 AM Reply

At 4/15/12 03:15 PM, Patonion wrote:
At 4/15/12 03:13 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 4/15/12 03:09 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hey check out these two movies, they both have something in common:
they take forever to buffer?

I'm 60 seconds of loading later and there is ~5 seconds buffered. Teething problems? completely unwatchable...
Same here, although I do have a lousy internet connection atm, I think it's because it's buffering at full 1080p, I think you need to implement an option to turn down the quality Tom :(

Yeah, I have a good internet connection and it continues to buffer its self every couple of seconds. I hope this video player doesnt replace all flash animation on NG. Its a cool feature but at what cost?

-_-

RedHarvest
RedHarvest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 09:33 AM Reply

So who do we PM to get this feature active?? - or do we just have to kinda wait to receive an invite?

if so i would love to gain this feature !

Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

BBS Signature
RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Audiophile
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:11 PM Reply

I had no problem viewing Valentine's Day 2012. When I was trying to play Starbarians however, the video was unfortunately unwatchable. The audio runs fine, but the animation doesn't. All I get to see are what seems to be one frame every two seconds alternating all the while the screen gets flashed by green the entire time. This also happened to the Robocop animation MindChamber recently uploaded. I'm using Chrome on Windows 7. I don't understand what's wrong though as Valentine's Day 2012 worked fine.

Nonetheless though, it seems to work magnificently for everyone else though so that's good news. Mike has done a damn good job here. Newgrounds just seems to be getting better and better.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

neeko
neeko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Animator
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:29 PM Reply

Mp4 support to upload converted large swf files? Awesome.

Pegosho
Pegosho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:55 PM Reply

Starbarians Ep. 1 looked really awesome to me at least. Also, I'm really excited about this Swivel software, Mike is the man!

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 01:57 PM Reply

At 4/15/12 03:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:

:HappyHarry used Swivel, software developed by Mike to perform the best-ever SWF to video conversions.

Bless Mike! Flash it's self is terrible at exporting Video! Is Swivel suppose to be a standalone tool or a Newgrounds utility for uploading.

NeutralObjections
NeutralObjections
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Voice Actor
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 02:37 PM Reply

I'm going to be a an ass-kisser for a second and just say good job guys.

Really though. There's so much revolutionary shit going on here, the future of Newgrounds is looking bright, in my opinion.

Yusuf
Yusuf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:00 PM Reply

When you are in fullscreen (or zoomed in on your browser) the invisible pause button that is meant to cover the whole screen only covers a portion of it, and I find myself having to click on the trackbar for a movie to start playing.

Watch "I Like Vegetables"!
Click below for my website!

BBS Signature
Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:28 PM Reply

Holy bajeesus Starbarians is 88 mb and the Valentine's Day file is 147 mb. No wonder you got that pushed out. It does work well, though, which is great.

hitman1993
hitman1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Video is a GO! Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 03:36 PM Reply

Thoroughly impressed by the new video player! .mp4 support is definitely something Newgrounds can make use of. Maybe we can be like a less shitty YouTube.

BBS Signature