Be a Supporter!
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:06 PM Reply

And Tom if you ever get tired of reading through this explosion of opinions about the very essence of your brainchild, and want to talk about cool bikes or cake or something, you should NOT hesitate to make another news post about that.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover

I love how many users are like, "Don't sell out Tom! Be true to the site and keep Newgrounds independent!!"

If any one of you had something that a corporation wanted to buy for $100 million dollars, it wouldn't matter what that thing was, how much it meant to you, or whether other people were attached to it - you would practically throw it at the corporation and then fill a swimming pool with the $100 million dollars and go swimming like Scrooge McDuck.

I, for one, am not going to ask Tom to refuse an opportunity that I, myself, would likely not refuse.

I mean, shit - by the time his kids are ready for college, the tuition is going to be like $1 million apiece anyway - take the money.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer

Bad! Newgrounds has always been underground, yes, but it's also been free to do what it wants for the most part. You deserve your cash, Tom, but we, as in you and the users that come here, should hold complete authority over where this site goes, not some giant corporation that's going to delete TheShadling and Stamper's accounts and make this like every other shitty site ever made.

Besides, do we even really need this site to grow? People always complain about the new users here, and that morons from 4chan or Kongregate simply shouldn't be coming here. Making a risk just to make the site grow could bring it down on our heads if we get flooded with a bunch of kids or people that expect and use Newgrounds like any other site.

Don't take the money!

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

power-to-the-players
power-to-the-players
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:09 PM Reply

tom for gods sake its obvious WE NEED TO RULE THE INTERNET! MAKE NERDS OUR SLAAAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNDEAD FOR LIFE!

BBS Signature
RedMongoose
RedMongoose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:10 PM Reply

Don't sell the orphanage to the Invisible Children Foundation, please.

theartofkc
theartofkc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:12 PM Reply

all the moneys to NEWGROUNDS
HERE HERE!!
ALL HAIL NEWGROUNDS!!!!!

Theartofkc is the master of all I PWN and i can hate u if u want me to

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:12 PM Reply

is Tom doing this because he's hurt for cash or he wants to expand?

JC-Dragon
JC-Dragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

Kinda hard to say. I've been visiting newgrounds since about 2002. It's always been a place for creators by creators. I like that atmosphere. It's homey and cool in it's own way. I know several artists would love the chance to turn a profit for their hard work and dedication to what they love doing too. if I had to take a side I say keep NG as NG.

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:06 PM, Timmy wrote: I love how many users are like, "Don't sell out Tom! Be true to the site and keep Newgrounds independent!!"

If any one of you had something that a corporation wanted to buy for $100 million dollars, it wouldn't matter what that thing was, how much it meant to you, or whether other people were attached to it - you would practically throw it at the corporation and then fill a swimming pool with the $100 million dollars and go swimming like Scrooge McDuck.

And you'd carelessly turn a site into a heartless bank of nothing? It's obvious you're in your fantasy, away from reality. And what would you spend those millions of dollars?

I, for one, am not going to ask Tom to refuse an opportunity that I, myself, would likely not refuse.

Because as long as it's a small fraction of the Cash-Drugs-n'-Tits (mainly cash) cycle of waste, you'd go for it, right? I thought so...

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

Jim-Bobway
Jim-Bobway
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

keep NG free of "the man". I dont want to see huge changes that make NG and its community lose any of the passion that made it what it is. Once investors give money it gives them control.

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:19 PM Reply

I'm not a financial expert, so I don't know all the pros and cons, but I feel that there are two conflicting desires which you are trying to balance.
1: You want Newgrounds to be successful (not that it already isn't!) and grow as much as possible.
2: You don't want to lose Newgrounds.

You built all this by yourself, so I can only imagine what you could do with one metric fuck-ton of money. On the other hand Newgrounds is Newgrounds because of you Tom, and I don't like to think what would happen if it got taken away due to lack of profits.

As I really like Newgrounds the way it is right now, the risk doesn't seem worth it. BUT, I have faith that you could do something amazing if given the opportunity. As you have all the necessary information at your disposal to make the best decision, I think you should think long and hard about this, maybe consult some professionals, and do whatever you think is the best. Either way you'll have the support of one of the most rabid fanbases on the internet.

Thanks for letting us weigh in on this!

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Swackman
Swackman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:19 PM Reply

ITISN'T ABOUT THE FRIGGING MONEY. It's about ensuring another company doesn't fuck this awesome place over.

Hell, even TOM HIMSELF seems to know it would backfire, so why are people still backing the notion?

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:20 PM Reply

I say go for it.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Subsoap
Subsoap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:25 PM Reply

What do you want? Are the things listed in 2 what you really want to do? You only live once. Trust your gut.

The-Psycho-Ragdoller
The-Psycho-Ragdoller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:27 PM Reply

Was hoping there would be contest from the title. But anyway I vote stay small, no money, easier to manage and the site is kick ass enough already.

Just call me Psycho for short.

SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: But I feel like I'm failing either way.

OMG no you aren't!!!

It seems like "taking the money" is winning, but if it means you losing control of the site, well then that's lame.

I feel like our admins and staff and programmers are the best in the world. This website is like my second home. I'd never consider this site a failure in a million years.

I know you have to approach it as a business man, you need to make money, this is your career.

But this is also your dream and something you have worked so hard on. I feel like you should always be the one in control of it.

You or robots.

Because they're going to control us all anyway eventually.

At 4/13/12 05:55 PM, MindChamber wrote: I know Id gladly pay a year subscription if it mean more programmers at NG getting it to work properly and keep it at the edge of technology, I'm sure others would as well.

I'd also pay a yearly subscription.

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:19 PM, Swackman wrote: ITISN'T ABOUT THE FRIGGING MONEY. It's about ensuring another company doesn't fuck this awesome place over.

Hell, even TOM HIMSELF seems to know it would backfire, so why are people still backing the notion?

Yeah, why is that? Why does a mass majority think money's more important than anything else?
What about the community?
What about the smaller people?
What about the site's functionality?

Instead, they don't care, they're too busy dancing around in their fantasies about money, away from reality.

Eltro Mato

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:06 PM, Timmy wrote: I love how many users are like, "Don't sell out Tom! Be true to the site and keep Newgrounds independent!!"

I mean, shit - by the time his kids are ready for college, the tuition is going to be like $1 million apiece anyway - take the money.

It's clear that your law school has turned you away from the Timmy we all knew and loved and into a cold, calculating bastard who's obsessed with money (i.e. true lawyer). What a shame.

Somethings are worth more than money, Timmy. Guess you don't see that yet. Got some growing up to do. If I was in Tom's shoes, I'd tell any potential investor who wants to change this place to fuck off and stay true. Better to die a beloved poor man than a rich asshole.

Unreal

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
f12guy
f12guy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Take the money tom If there is one person i know that can make Newgrounds Better it's you.

Does anyone actually read these?

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

This is an incredibly difficult decision that you'd probably be better off asking some kind of business expert about. I will say this though, I believe that the most important thing about the site is its ability to connect artists with each other. I've submitted many songs on NG over the years, none of which have been very successful, but more recently I've found artists contacting me and asking if I would like to work with them on something. Many of these ventures have failed considerably, I put a large amount of work into a soundtrack or song, for example, only to get nothing out of it in the end due to a lack of commitment on the other side. Nevertheless, not long ago I came into contact with a programmer who liked my music and was wondering if I could write a soundtrack for his game that he was working on with his brother (visual designer). I'm really proud with what we've created, it's quite awesome looking at a work that you've done with someone else and see the collaborate aspect play such an important role in its success. Now this programmer, his brother and I have formed a kind of collaborative team. We're hoping to branch off from flash game development to mobile gaming or something like that. I would have never met these people had it not been for Newgrounds.

All this to say: no matter what you end up doing with the site, and it is your site so I wouldn't let the opinions of a small number of members sway you one way or another, keep that collaborative aspect intact. I have yet to visit any other website that lets you connect with creators the way that Newgrounds does. Perhaps where NG fails the most is that there is a lot of great material that just never sees the light of day, and you're obviously aware of this too because you've had those 'Hidden Gem' threads where users are invited to showcase animations or games that are great but for some reason or another haven't had many views. If you can find some way for to limit this from happening, that would let more artists see more content, and consequently lead to more artists connecting with one another.

CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/13/12 04:03 PM, SKHM wrote: take money

u a hustla tom
Holy shit, Money: 6

This post was supposed to be a reminder that people love NG for doing things on its own terms, maybe I didn't make it clear enough how many strings are attached with taking money or maybe this is just the wake-up call that NG is supposed to take money after all.

Hmm, people do say you can only go so far on your own. If you think it could improve NG, its user content and help it move forward, then by all means, TAKE DAT MONAY!!
But I can't help feeling you're being facetious since it's all so vague..really it depends on the overall control you'll retain and what these 'strings' exactly are.
It'd be sad seeing the "dad" of the site disappear and it becoming another soulless business... :/

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
GSolar
GSolar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:34 PM Reply

From what I've been reading, I definitely want the site to stay the same. Newgrounds is awesome now, and if it's financially stable, then I see no need to risk losing its core values.

For clarity: Stay solo.

Dogmeat
Dogmeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:36 PM Reply

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again

RIP Newgrounds

I AM THREAD KILLER!

BBS Signature
Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:31 PM, ZJ wrote:
Unreal

"A man of wealth can still be poor." - Zachary

BBS Signature
JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:42 PM Reply

You can do a lot of cool things with VC and this site could go to amazing places. HOWEVER... once this turns corporate, so many bad things could happen. You could lose this site (something you put your heart and soul into since 1999), WE could lose this site (Many of us have done the same since 1999), once executives get their dirty little hands into our pie, they start taking away too much artistic expression by labeling it "too offensive" or we start becoming like Youtube where everything posted is scrutinized for fear of copyright (something which I recall this site just recently stood against). Since being a part of this site I've always proudly displayed Newgrounds as a place for creative people to be supported and get a start. VC could turn this into who is popular and will make us money- Everyone else can suck a dick.

I'm definitely up for NG being the same. I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning behind you even considering this is, but if it's for the money then hey, it's your site so I guess go for it, but if it's to vault NG into a higher plane of existence, I'm positive this community will throw 200% of their support behind you. Start a Kickstarter if you have a specific project you want to do but don't have funds for. it worked for Double Fine.

please stay the same.

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:36 PM, Dogmeat wrote: This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again

RIP Newgrounds

We're ALL close to saying "RIP Newgrounds". Because the masses are now wearing dollar-sign blindfolds.

Eltro Mato

cownose-ray
cownose-ray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:43 PM Reply

DON'T TAKE THE MONEY.

NO. NOT MONEY.
NO NO NO. NO.

just no.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:44 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:10 PM, RedMongoose wrote: Don't sell the orphanage to the Invisible Children Foundation, please.

Crap but that's where all the money came from!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
flashbound
flashbound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:46 PM Reply

Tom, I love you, but you're terrible at sarcasm

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave"-Constantin Brancusi

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:47 PM Reply

so is tom hurt for cash as a whole or just doesn't have the cash to expand?