SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 05:55 PM, MindChamber wrote:
Oh and Get a manager in there,

you're a great guy Tom, but yah.. let's face it already.

He doesn't need to bring in a manager. He just needs to unleash Wade on the programmers to keep them in line.

That's all the fire under their ass they'll need.

SketchistGames
SketchistGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

I know Id gladly pay a year subscription if it mean more programmers at NG getting it to work properly and keep it at the edge of technology, I'm sure others would as well.

i don't have the money I would move on to Kongregate, ArmerGames, anything else really if I had to pay for newgrounds.

Current Trophies:
Weekly Fourth Place for Blast the Bunny 2
~SketchistGames :P

Kohyru
Kohyru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:21 PM Reply

I've been visiting NG for the best part of ten years on and off, though my forum account won't show it, I until recently have been one of the unregistered voters of content.

I love this site, it more often than not has some good nuggets of content on the front page that I carry on coming back for and when it's no longer on the front page I'll search it out and continue to enjoy it. I've had two experiences of being a customer/user of a company that have sold large amounts of equity to investors. It is like cooking a frog in boiling water, slow incremental changes until you are left with the memory of what you started with and wanted and are left with a dried out husk that is desperately trying to hang on to its veteran community and failing miserably.

Stay true to the ideals of NG, don't sell out.

History is written by the victors.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 06:19 PM, SketchistGames wrote: i don't have the money I would move on to Kongregate, ArmerGames, anything else really if I had to pay for newgrounds.

Even if the choice to pay was optional, and that you still had the same access to the content as before?

BBS Signature
beardkiller
beardkiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

Do what you want,ng will always have a place in my heart

Hi

BBS Signature
SketchistGames
SketchistGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

KEEP NEWGROUNDS THE SAME! I don't want to lose our NG rights! If I have to pay for anything I am leaving to Kongregate or Armor Games or NotDoppler SOMEWHERE ELSE IF I have to pay for ANYTHING!

Current Trophies:

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 06:22 PM, SketchistGames wrote: KEEP NEWGROUNDS THE SAME! I don't want to lose our NG rights! If I have to pay for anything I am leaving to Kongregate or Armor Games or NotDoppler SOMEWHERE ELSE IF I have to pay for ANYTHING!

Good luck in life, kiddo.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
ZERO008
ZERO008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

Don't take the money.

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

To anyone who speaks never gain success if you never take failure:

Venture capital is not a normal business game. It is a 1/10 devil game. Once you gain and you gain tremendously amount of resources. If you lose then you would lose everything.

VC has critical failure that none of you would want to take; if any of you ever has done business before.

I strongly encourage Mr. Fulp to do some personal research without depending on this inaccurate opinions on here and consult this matter with your in-business friends, employees and staff. VC is a serious matter.

SketchistGames
SketchistGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 06:21 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 4/13/12 06:19 PM, SketchistGames wrote: i don't have the money I would move on to Kongregate, ArmerGames, anything else really if I had to pay for newgrounds.
Even if the choice to pay was optional, and that you still had the same access to the content as before?

Yes THEN I would stay but if I HAVE to pay for crap I will leave to Kongregate, *ArmorGames, NotDoppler, somewhere else...

Current Trophies:

x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:29 PM Reply

I HAVE NO IDEA!

sweetcommando
sweetcommando
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:33 PM Reply

did you say money?

NitrogenousBeing
NitrogenousBeing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

VC is like turning your website into a money-fueled bonfire to attract more money to burn. Eventually there is only ash. Don't burn your creation.
Stay independent, persevere. Maybe "get a manager in there" and continue to slowly make the website better.

DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

Tom, you have the overall decision here, but truth be told, I think Newgrounds is better without taking the money. By taking money, there WILL be strings attached and the new goal of Newgrounds will be to make its INVESTORS profitable.

I don't know the financial situation of the website except I know you've mentioned that the budget is pathetic compared to bigger companies. Yet, Newgrounds is one of the only big websites I know that actually care about its users rather than having to make its investors rich.

Need advice? Visit the RELATIONSHIP CREW!

BBS Signature
V-K
V-K
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:36 PM Reply

Apparently there is something happening with NG, otherwise Tom wouldn't even consider this. I can understand that NG is not at the peak of its success anymore, I feel like that was around 6-10 years ago (I could be wrong though), everyone visited that site back then.

It's just that with sites like Youtube things have gotten much easier. Honestly I don't even know if Flash has such a great future. Sure you can make animations, but you can also make those differently and publish them on YT. And if you can make games, why not sell them in the App Store or something...

I personally don't really know how you could make NG grow more and it saddens me because NG always had more soul than let's say YT that is run by faceless people that know nothing about their community.

Perhaps you could offer additional features, like videos, photos, blogs, even though it is questionable if people would really want to visit NG for those reasons.

ZERO008
ZERO008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:37 PM Reply

Wait would it be possible for newgrounders to donate money to help further improve the site? I have seen some smaller websites set up a progress bar to raise money over a certain amount of time.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

As long as the extra money doesn't adversely affect the content offered on Newgrounds (for example, limit authors' ability to be creative or obscene or creepy, etc) I think Newgrounds would benefit greatly from such a stimulus package as the one you describe.

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:42 PM Reply

I haven't really given a decent opinion yet. I wouldn't mind the Steam-powered program. Having actual payment in games and movies is a payment model that's fresh, as opposed to just more ads. VC is risky, doing nothing is suicide. You might also want to try getting some more contacts andgetting the name out some more. Sites like Destructoid are doing very well, and they might share the audience you're looking for.

Just give us the ability to buy hats to wear in Pico's School or new playable characters in Newgrounds Rumble and Newgrounds could florish once again.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:46 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:21 PM, MindChamber wrote: No VC.. concentrate on microtransations, to funnel back into turning NG into a platform. Keep NG lean and small, and work hard to make NG the ultimate publisher for developers and artists alike. Steam-squared.

I think you're on the right track here, but NG obv. needs to expand beyond flash...

The mobile platform have really lifted off, and I'm not sure if it's too late to catch that train or not... However, microtransactions seem to be a really good money-maker, but again you'll need to have somethings more than just flash for this to hit.

Newgrounds is business, but it's one of the few busniesses of this size that still have a "soul" and haven't been transformed in to something else...
If it's worth it or not is up to you, Tom, but if NG's history as a nice place with a "fuck you" attitude based on common sense is to b e considered at all, I think that Newgrounds as it is today in fact will sieze to be "underground" quite fast. Better artists will stay for the money like you said, but for the true underground community, I don't know... It's a tough call, personally I feel like I don't know enough to be able to say yay or nay.

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

SoapyMinecraft
SoapyMinecraft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

I say no money for one good reason...newgrounds is a site for all the good things and some spam on the internet to pour in. Taking the money would make this the next youtube and we do not want that. So do not take the money tom no matter what anyone says.

ThePredatorFox
ThePredatorFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:10 PM, Atgod88 wrote: Usually when money is involved, the quality control of any site goes down the tubes in some form, usually changing the entire website to conform to what is most profitable.

Again, just my opinion.

I second this, very much so.
If NG has financial problems, I'm pretty sure there's other ways to solve it.
Please don't sell out NG's soul, Mr. Fulp.
It's almost a general opinion that many sites were much MUCH better before these sorts of
"improvements".

HLG
HLG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:49 PM Reply

newgrounds is special to me because its always been just out of the reach of the mainstream, and even though so many huge internet fads originated here it never really gets the credit.
i dont believe theres a clear cut answer because on one hand i think this site deserves to be acknowledged and appreciated beyond how it is now. in my experience too many people shrug off NG for trivial reasons. like the hentai ads that were around like 8 years ago. or the portal voting system being unbalanced. because they dont like some forum mod. on the other hand NG is what it is because of the way people already regard it. its one of the few big websites where almost anything goes. that unfiltered philosophy is i think what draws so many unique, excellent artists. and its not unfiltered like 4chan which exists on the principal that your identity is unimportant. newgrounds is all about rewarding good artists which is what the frontpage and all the awards are for.
i want ng to grow and money would help that, but is it worth sacrificing the values that make this site special? it really is a tough question.

NegativeZero
NegativeZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Writer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:49 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 06:37 PM, ZERO008 wrote: Wait would it be possible for newgrounders to donate money to help further improve the site? I have seen some smaller websites set up a progress bar to raise money over a certain amount of time.

Donate money seems like a good idea but some people aren't willing to throw they're money away for something not guaranteed if the site can be saved and be forced to do something because of lack of motivation.. but hey I'm no money expert

..what about the ng store? Like I dunno.. pico day sale? Or maybe too risky?

whatever just my thoughts

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:52 PM Reply

I wouldn't like to see Newgrounds become a huge sell out like YouTube.

If you want to keep the underground style, then please keep this. If you want mone, then go ahead.

lel

dangoval95
dangoval95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:52 PM Reply

Don't mess with success.
Taking the money would be a complete sell out from what this was founded on:
"Everything by everyone".
Though I may not fully understand this topic, I like Newgrounds how it is and I would like it to stay that way.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:54 PM Reply

Why the hell not?!?!

MONAYYYYYY!

MrGibins
MrGibins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:58 PM Reply

your call. but I wouldn't mess with VC. there is only so much of an increase in production you could get.

only way you could really secure dominance in web content is through eliminating competition and I can't see that happening

EyeLovePoozy
EyeLovePoozy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:59 PM Reply

Mindchamber is right.

Micro purchases and things of the sort or "selling out".

You gotta look out for you and yours.

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 06:54 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Why the hell not?!?!

MONAYYYYYY!

You hardly see the full story of "Money".

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

ThePredatorFox
ThePredatorFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:07 PM, TomFulp wrote: I just gotta be clear, once NG takes money it is on a near-guaranteed path to being sold to a larger company at which point it could be scuttled or transformed into something no one wants. Without money NG could exist forever, it's just that no one may care that it exists.

My point exactly.
But what do you mean nobody may care?
In that case, there might be something wrong with the ad campaigns, I dare say.
I think it all depends on WHO you want take notice of NG, honestly.