Be a Supporter!
pirate9899
pirate9899
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:14 PM Reply

2) Take VC money. Spend the next five years being AMAZING, sponsor every game developer and every artist and rule the entire internet. IT MIGHT WORK, NG might become so successful the investors will get rich and back off, and it will be such a success it can just keep being a success forever.

don't take it i hate change and if NG changes i will have a breakdown

guinea pigs rule

BBS Signature
lolomfgisuck
lolomfgisuck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate

Money... sponsor the developers.

To me, that was always the heart of NG. Giving love back to the community of people who supported each other, and the website.

John Rambo is my hero

BBS Signature
BritishGamer
BritishGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer

I'd say take the money but be cautious as if they start making big unwanted changes and you change your mind, you'd better have the money they gave you.

Go for it but be careful not to lose your website which you've manage to keep running for over a decade!

TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:15 PM Reply

Don't sellout. Whatever you do, keep Newgrounds a place where independent artists can share with other independent artists to/for an independent company.

I don't know what choice this is, but just my opinion.

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
langhauz
langhauz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate

At 4/13/12 04:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/13/12 04:10 PM, langhauz wrote: I think that what most people are saying is that if you feel enough control is left to you to try and keep Newgrounds in the general path it was headed that we believe in you. If you're worried about NG dying the day you get the money, then run away of course... but if you're worried NG won't last forever?

I would rather see NG burn out in a huge explosion than fade away with a whimper.
With money I think I could turn NG into a billion dollar company. I just don't have good evidence for what would happen to it after that.

I can see that being frightening, for sure.
Over the years I've watched a lot of great artists distance themselves from NG because the relationship wasn't profitable enough for them. I think that with more exposure NG would lose a lot of the crass, harsh, trolling bastards we've all come to love... but the artists we come back to watch again and again would have more room to excel and dazzle us.

I think that's a good trade off.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer

At 4/13/12 04:10 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: So it's really up to you Tom. Do you want to get greedy and forget everything that got you where you are today, or do you want to stick to your roots and remain true to your identity.

See at first I was disappointed that everyone told me to take money, but now when I read this I suddenly realize it was kinda fun when everyone was telling me to take money... Because taking money meant living the dream. I don't even think it's about greed so much as just wanting to build something big. I want to build something big. I just want to do it without someone else being able to destroy it. But I feel like I'm failing either way.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:16 PM Reply

Take the next step, Tom.

Why the hell not, right?

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:11 PM, SolidToad wrote:
At 4/13/12 04:03 PM, SKHM wrote: take money

u a hustla tom
I agree. There's a sizable chance NG would make this work.

No. Newgrounds is fine how it is. Sure, you can take the money, but to a small extent. If you go above that, newgrounds will become a broken site that cares about nothing but money and little about people and quality.

Most of you don't understand how dangerous money is. Once you take that path, you're a junkie asking for more until it hits you really hard.

The bigger you are, the harder you'll fall. Nobody wants to fall.

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:16 PM, Timmy wrote: Take the next step, Tom.

Why the hell not, right?

To add, just because you are accepting outside finance doesn't mean that you can't limit the outside influence.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist

At 4/13/12 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: I just want to do it without someone else being able to destroy it. But I feel like I'm failing either way.

Then there's really only one way to go. If maintaining the regular is failing, and having VC destroy us is failing, then making it big with VC is the only way to not fail.

I fail at articulating my poinl.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
JellyDraft
JellyDraft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator

Take the money Tom, you deserve it for sure. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to expand newgrounds past its horizon, and you need to take it.

Vonschlippe
Vonschlippe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:20 PM Reply

I am definitely for the option of venture capital.

As long as nobody loses ownership rights over their own work. (Kinda like posting something on facebook makes the photo their own intellectual property... yeah, fuck that)

TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy

Sure you can take the money and make Newgrounds this big organization, but I feel like somewhere along the line NG wouldn't be NG anymore.

butthole foods.

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer

At 4/13/12 04:16 PM, Timmy wrote: Take the next step, Tom.

Why the hell not, right?

It is just another chapter in the book of life...

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:21 PM Reply

No VC.. concentrate on microtransations, to funnel back into turning NG into a platform. Keep NG lean and small, and work hard to make NG the ultimate publisher for developers and artists alike. Steam-squared.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:07 PM, TomFulp wrote: I just gotta be clear, once NG takes money it is on a near-guaranteed path to being sold to a larger company at which point it could be scuttled or transformed into something no one wants. Without money NG could exist forever, it's just that no one may care that it exists.

Oh that puts a different spin on it. Can't say I like the idea of this going wrong for the site and everything we know and love about NG disappearing until it just isn't the same site anymore. But without doing it, you don't know what NG can become I guess. There is probably no point in asking us all really what we think. Its your business, your baby. I guess it depends how much you're willing to risk on this working or not.

I would like to retract my original answer and not pick anything.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 03:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thoughts

Depends on what business is offering the money, and what their history of success has been.

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate

At 4/13/12 04:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
With money I think I could turn NG into a billion dollar company. I just don't have good evidence for what would happen to it after that.

The only way I see that happening is if your turn NG into a video game company along with a music production studio and an art auctioning site.

BBS Signature
Vorlek
Vorlek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Audiophile

:sellout.

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:23 PM Reply

No money.

Personally, if you take the money, there's a huge chance you're going to have to sell. So you sponsor every artist/game maker. Doesn't that mean the average quality goes down? Currently you are very invested in the sponsored games, only letting through not only what you can afford, but what you think will boost the site. Sponsoring more artists may, of course, be a good thing, if you have the same particularity and pickiness that you do now, but chances are you'll be more willing to let in some subpar games/movies to reach out to the webernets.

In all honesty though, even if there is an increase in the site's capital, it will most likely not be a large enough increase, at least not in the first five years. You may be able to project this supreme awesome money-making machine ten years into the future, but by that time you will probably have to sell the site, giving it to some huge company that cares less about this site than what brand of toilet paper their cat uses.

So why are we suddenly making this site about money? I know you guys need to focus on revenue, but if your primary focus of this site is to rake in the dough, then Flash will NOT be your primary focus. I know we're all supposed to improve, but I've really loved the indie and intimate vibe at Newgrounds. A large company would destroy that and will make this site up there with the rest of them in my mind, even if it is successful.

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist

Take the money and run!

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
rollies
rollies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer

NG is already the best a doing what NG does. The only way it could expand past companies like miniclip is by toning down material and making it more accessible to the masses. There would always be cooperate pressure on controlling NG but you cant control the users who are submitting the content. My fear is if you try and control them they may be pushed away. True it would be great to have more money but surly the best part of NG is that the people who develop stuff for the website arnt just doing it for the money. NG is already awesome so why risk it being unawsome because of a committee?

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:21 PM, Gagsy wrote: I would like to retract my original answer and not pick anything.

No one is necessarily on the wrong side of this discussion.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:21 PM, Gagsy wrote: Oh that puts a different spin on it. Can't say I like the idea of this going wrong for the site and everything we know and love about NG disappearing until it just isn't the same site anymore. But without doing it, you don't know what NG can become I guess. There is probably no point in asking us all really what we think. Its your business, your baby. I guess it depends how much you're willing to risk on this working or not.

Yeah, with a different take on it, maybe it wouldn't be worth it. If it's such a huge risk, do we all want to go ahead with it? If there's that chance to make the site fall, then I can't agree so much on the change.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Sounds interesting.

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:19 PM, SolidToad wrote:
At 4/13/12 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: I just want to do it without someone else being able to destroy it. But I feel like I'm failing either way.
Then there's really only one way to go. If maintaining the regular is failing, and having VC destroy us is failing, then making it big with VC is the only way to not fail.

I fail at articulating my poinl.

He meant going either ways (take money or don't) he'll fail.

Not taking the money, he can keep the site fresh, but won't have enough corporate power.

Taking the money, he can make something big, but it's gonna draw the bigger companies attention resulting in selling newgrounds.

I choose not to take the risk of VC, it's too dangerous.

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

Archonic
Archonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 04:27 PM Reply

Just to clarify, about 8 times of 10, sites that do take money fall into the earth and become just another money-hungry vacuum that isn't even good. If you REALLY want to take money, I would suggest starting with a VERY small amount and see what that does. If it works, take a slightly larger amount. If it doesn't, stop immediately. The big problem with most of these sites was that they got greedy and took a HUGE amount right off the bat, ended up selling and turned into crap. I really hope NG doesn't take that path

satanbrain is always wrong
EGB || Bat Crew || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile

At 4/13/12 04:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
No one is necessarily on the wrong side of this discussion.

I know. Its the same whatever decision you take Tom.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy

Didn't Tom from MySpace have this same decision to make?

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician

I take that back. If you feel like you could be successful enough not to have to sell to a power-hungry corporation, then do it. If you feel that the only way out would be to sell, then I'm still going to have to say no money. I don't want NG to be sold.

I agree though, you should start small.

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature