Be a Supporter!
Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:51 PM Reply

Go for the money, and invest it into sponsoring developers here at NG into making BIGGER more developed projects.. The wheels of newgrounds have barely left the ground.

IMO

BBS Signature
BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:57 PM Reply

trying to keep newgrounds stay newgrounds and going venture capital at the sounds too risky and hard. I'd suggest that you don't go venture capital

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 01:48 AM Reply

Well, it's a pretty complicated issue, here. On the one hand, if you have plans to really ramp up NG and start generating money in some for or another through the site that you simply need capitol for, then VC would be an excellent boost to your site. On the other hand, if it's just guys offering you money and you don't know where it's going to go then it might be best not to take it, just yet.

One day I would love to see this site open up and explode as a media force to be reckoned with on par to Youtube and Facebook, and I just don't see that happening without some outside help, so you should accept VC one day (This day, if you're ready for it). I don't want to see this site go into disarray, though, because the money couldn't be put to productive use and you had to sell - I have too many memories attached to this site. Seeing it fall because of how another putz handled it would really crush my spirit.

tl;dr, take the money only if you have a plan to make it work in your favor.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

psychopathy
psychopathy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 05:00 AM Reply

itt: quite a few people don't know that tom made up his mind and decided not to take the money, saying so in another news thread

Dave4554
Dave4554
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Voice Actor
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 05:10 AM Reply

Im surprised that after so many years, youve finally decided to upgrade your website. You know ng wont be ng if its changed too much.

Billion dollar company?? Excuse me? How can u make ng into a billion dollar company? U can me it into a 7 or 8 fig, but not 12.

And how are you gonna sponsor anyone? That requires money and if you have money, go for it, kids like flash and games, the community here and atmosphere is so chill and laid back, almost like going back to 2005 or something.

Pm me if you need investments. My grandparents are billionaires, I may get them to help you out. I LOVE NG.

Pm me and give me all of your ideas and plans, and lets work it out. How much do i want in?? 5%. Thats all

If they set that android free it will be THE END OF ALL OF US!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 4/17/12 05:00 AM, psychopathy wrote: itt: quite a few people don't know that tom made up his mind and decided not to take the money, saying so in another news thread

Perhaps you could enlighten us and post a link to that thread? This one is stickied, while the decision thread is not.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 11:17 AM Reply

Considering how well global society is doing based on the merits of venture capital, I'd say no.

Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 12:02 PM Reply

Don't fix what's not broken.
That's the biggest rule in the book.

But in the end, it's all up to Tom.
Well Tom, tell us. Does NG need this? Is NG going downhill?

Is it broken?

So there. That's my two cents. Do with it what you want.

Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 4/17/12 05:10 AM, Dave4554 wrote: Billion dollar company?? Excuse me? How can u make ng into a billion dollar company? U can me it into a 7 or 8 fig, but not 12.

Twelve figures would be one trillion. 1,000,000,000,000.

swaenK
swaenK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Worst case scenario:

http://cdn.instanttrap.com/trap.jpg

My imagination plays with all of the extra money and what it could do for the content and all that jazz.

Scary stuff

hurp

BBS Signature
Kanon
Kanon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 03:59 PM, Gagsy wrote: Stick or twist?

You have to twist, its only logical if the option is there. NG is great blah blah blah, but if you can turn great into amazing then shouldn't you do everything you can to achieve that goal, for not only the site but for yourself?

This, also on the plus side security look out for stolen flash would be increased, as well as the decrease of seeing NG based games pirated and uploaded on other sites where they aren't meant to be if the real author wishes it.

PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 02:12 PM Reply

Money ain't toilet papers, you fuck head and brainless commentards.

Do Newgrounds have their ability to twist? I don't think so. Can Newgrounds play VC game? I don't think so.

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
Patcoola
Patcoola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 03:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: 2) Take VC money. Spend the next five years being AMAZING, sponsor every game developer and every artist and rule the entire internet. IT MIGHT WORK, NG might become so successful the investors will get rich and back off, and it will be such a success it can just keep being a success forever.

Let it be your retirement plan.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Deviant Art | Buy Swag

FishFinger
FishFinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 17th, 2012 @ 05:37 PM Reply

Newgrounds is not just "a site for artists". It has always been a haven of free artistic expression, with all the offensive, NSFW and nonsensical bullshit I've grown to love. Taking the money will put all those values in jeopardy.

No Money.

justice511
justice511
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 18th, 2012 @ 07:43 PM Reply

dont change it cause if something goes wrong i think i would DIE without NG anymore :(

BBS Signature
mmankt
mmankt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 19th, 2012 @ 02:48 PM Reply

Newgrounds is the only site I feel like home and part of (I know I didn't submit too much stuff, but i hope it's quality stood up for that a bit). The community is awesome and I feel that the almost everyone is like buddies i've known for years with the same ridiculous humor and cock jokes. I'm here everyday. My adblock is always off for this site. I LOVE Newgrounds. I can't imagine the Internet without it. In 20 years when I have kids and if they're creative, I want to know that there's a place for them and me - NG. The real friends never change. And Tom, MindChamber, JohnnyUtah, Stamper and everyone else from the staff are still running this place as the time never moved on.

So when you ask if you should embrace venture capital - only if Newgrounds stays Newgrounds and you will still be the man in charge. If not, well is it really worth it? For the money, sure everyone's life will be better, but loosing your child?

BBS Signature
SoapNukeZ
SoapNukeZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 19th, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

FooBarBazQuux
FooBarBazQuux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:31 PM Reply

Hi Tom,

I know I'm late. I've been a user on this website for a very long time. I eventually registered under the user name TheAdventMaster, which had its account locked because I forgot my password. While I'd like my account back, that's not what I'm posting about.

Before you consider taking VC money, tell me how many online communities - real communities of people who love and care for one another - continue to exist today. Not only that, but communities which encourage and support the growth of its members.

I've had trouble finding any. I used to visit Gaia Online back when after it changed from being Go-Gaia. Eventually, they took venture capital and decided to expand their interests and cater to the influx of new users. A lot of websites do this. The staff start debating the site's direction, and their responsibility to cater to and spread their ideas to the broader internet.

But it never works. The broader internet isn't Newgrounds. Newgrounds is a site for determined, kind, caring, funny artists, musicians, video producers, game developers - content creators.

If you took venture capital, you'd probably end up with some CEO who sighs and has to think carefully any time he responds to your suggestions for the site, because profit means appealing in some way to a broader audience, while we know very well that the broader audience won't and isn't interested in creating content for this site. And if they do create content for the site, it will be to make money and turn Newgrounds into a business, not to contribute to the community portals and grow as a person.

My answer can be summarized as "Please don't do it." But I felt like I had to say more. Newgrounds is one of the last fortresses of internet freedom, creativity, prosperity and loving-kindness that remains standing. I'd hate to see it go. I'd hate it even more if it lived on as something it was never meant to be.

- Pritchard

FooBarBazQuux
FooBarBazQuux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 4/19/12 08:22 PM, SoapNukeZ wrote: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Also, this. If you really want funding, take it from us. Let us know what you're up to. Let us know your plans. Let us know how we're going to grow because of it, and let us, the users who currently care about the site, fund it.

FooBarBazQuux
FooBarBazQuux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:41 PM Reply

Don't know what would happen to the site once it was valued as a billion-dollar company?

You'd be managing a billion-dollar company. Does that sound like fun to you?

More employees aren't necessarily a pro. Money does sound okay, but does more money matter that much? We think that it does, and people who are devoted to their cause make really good use of the money they have, but when you have so much money on the line, people begin to sweat. Money is no longer given to people liberally, or with simplicity, it's given greedily and under strict terms and conditions.

I can't tell you what your company would become if you had money to throw around. But I don't think people need to get all of their projects funded. I honestly don't think that helps. I've been working on how to become an artist and have more creative freedom for years. And I'll tell you this - if someone funded me with a large sum of money right now, I'd eventually come out with something people liked. Maybe - maybe - it would return a profit and I'd be able to keep doing it until the day I died.

I'll tell you what, though - I need to grow as a person. I need to be a man. I need to be someone who supports themselves and takes responsibility as an individual. If I really want to be an artist, I need to work for it. Not because someone gave me money and told me how to spend it, but that I earned my own money, really thought about it, and decided to spend it how I want.

I'm going to stop. Admittedly, these posts haven't been full of any kind of well-thought-out, sage-like wisdom. They're full of passion. The passion I have for this site, the only major stronghold of creative freedom that remains today.

FooBarBazQuux
FooBarBazQuux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/13/12 04:10 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: So it's really up to you Tom. Do you want to get greedy and forget everything that got you where you are today, or do you want to stick to your roots and remain true to your identity.
See at first I was disappointed that everyone told me to take money, but now when I read this I suddenly realize it was kinda fun when everyone was telling me to take money... Because taking money meant living the dream. I don't even think it's about greed so much as just wanting to build something big. I want to build something big. I just want to do it without someone else being able to destroy it. But I feel like I'm failing either way.

Have patience. You're a great guy who's been doing the right thing up to this point. The recent move to put hard-line focus on doing things for the site, for the artists, or whoever, and sticking with it, has been spot-on. People are impatient. That's one of our flaws. Your righteousness will be to manage what you can rather than trying to do everything at once.

Having a bunch of money won't solve the problem that large projects are hard to manage and that a billion and one things have to be done before the users can be satisfied with your work. Can you imagine running a bunch of different projects at once only to find that NONE of them glued together how you wanted when they were complete? Or that the users had a ton of complaints? Or that there were things you missed?

Think of this from a management standpoint. Funding projects is not the same as making them run smoothly.

FooBarBazQuux
FooBarBazQuux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:29 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/13/12 04:27 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: Didn't Tom from MySpace have this same decision to make?
MySpace was created by Intermix (formerlly EUniverse) and Tom was an employee-turned figurehead. And yes I'll say it, EUniverse wanted to buy Newgrounds, was bitter when I turned it down and Tom as a site figurehead was inspired by me. True story.

Yeah, that's why myself and plenty of website founders think to themselves that they want to be more like Tom Fulp. I mean it. I don't have a lot of money. I don't have much of a formal education. I landed a full-time job as a software engineer only to find that sitting in front of a computer doing business applications wasn't what I wanted for the rest of my life. Not every day is the best day ever.

But you know what? It's inspiring to know each and every day that Tom Fulp hasn't sold out. That if I find myself inspired by some great concept - for a website, game, drawing, song, painting or whatever - Tom Fulp and Newgrounds will be there to support me. Not on some stuck-up business level, where the company's interests are put before the users' content, but on a down-to-earth, collaborative level. With love.

- Pritchard

Mo-ni
Mo-ni
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 26th, 2012 @ 08:17 AM Reply

Have you considered making some of the popular games on here available to play on Facebook, MySpace and other social sites that play games? I mean if people can pay to play Farmville, Sims social and so on, I am sure you can be just as successful as Zynga *which sucks ass by the way* and actually be worth the money. People are paying out the nose for the turn based, special items and etc. Why not take advantage of that. I'm sure you guys are busy with current projects for this site alone but IâEUTMm positive you would make some good money off that.

I'm sure you have seen some of the games on Facebook and wonder people are really paying hundreds of dollars a month to have access to a useless picture in a game or gain experience to raise their level on a game that literally has NO end.

I would rather invest my time into something like that than sell my baby to some money grubbing prick who wouldn't put in 1/3 of the love you and everyone else puts into it.

Thread killer and proud of it :)

NPGames
NPGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 27th, 2012 @ 10:56 AM Reply

Stay newgrounds

Frubban
Frubban
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY May. 19th, 2012 @ 05:53 PM Reply

At 4/16/12 02:37 PM, tonypar16 wrote: Money.

:But be careful not to fuck up this site.

Hahahaha

Pick one.

Signatures are for scrubs.

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY May. 20th, 2012 @ 12:02 AM Reply

Stick to your guns Tom. You've gotten this far without selling out. And its not the website's fault, it's us users. Newgrounds is filled with infinite possibilities, whether or not they are being utilized is another thing entirely. Just hang in there and dont let anyone tell you how much your website is worth, because Newgrounds is fucking priceless.

BBS Signature