Be a Supporter!
ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

At 4/15/12 06:33 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: Stay the course. NG is known for not selling out... and it just feels downright shameful that damn near everyone in this topic is screaming "SELL OUT!!!!" I mean, is this not the type of attitude that unleashed artists like Lil Wayne upon the world? Come on guys...

Sorry for the double post.

But also Tom, why don't you all start worry about improving the site and fixing the bugs instead of whether or not you want to sell out?

BBS Signature
Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 07:06 PM Reply

welcome to google.newgrounds.com have fun, in the meanwhile you can browse these products

oh, we are sucking your soul out, its listed in our policies, we also have rightful acess to our users buttholes

ama gon chill

BeaKaiser
BeaKaiser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 09:07 PM Reply

MONEYS!

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 09:10 PM Reply

I'm not sure how it could kill the site but beyond that it seems like it could be the answer to Newgrounds lack of publicity.

I also like the increased odds of getting paid online for animating a cartoon.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 10:33 PM Reply

I'm a purist. If you take money, I'm using my tour of the Newgrounds offices (who gave $100 to the Newgrounds movie Kickstarter? This guy!) to flick your nose.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Please help fund my horror novel. I'll love you forever.

unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 10:53 PM Reply

You have to understand that if your going to do this, your going to have to keep the investors happy, and that may mean doing some douche moves that we are not going to like. Are you prepared to sacrifice our trust for their money?

I personally don't like it, look what it did to EA and Activision. Don't want that to happen to you.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 15th, 2012 @ 11:11 PM Reply

Take the VC. If newgrounds gets turned into something despicable, invest a portion of your vast wealth into building OldGrounds ;D

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:01 AM Reply

Take the money. NG is losing its relevance already in my opinion. The site became very impersonal after the update. Users are faceless and I think people will leave.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:18 AM Reply

I wonder if this will affect things like meet-ups and stuff.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 01:58 AM Reply

Keep being NG, and don't sell out to anyone.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:13 AM Reply

Your ideas are part of you
Carry them with you your whole life through
Never give those up if you're by yourself
Don't let the bastards grind you down

Principles, we've all got our own
Stand up for them and rightly so
Never give those up and never give in
Its part of your character, it comes from within

Never, never, never surrender!
No, no, no, no never give in!

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Kamikaye
Kamikaye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:37 AM Reply

I really liked NG as one of the last communities around that feel independant to me.

Ending up as a subordinate of some "big player" would be such a shame. In the light of the youngest series of crazy investments in web-business it sure urges one to try and grab some easy investor money. Especially since theres quite a chance that this bubble will burst in near future.
But investors want something back in the end and if they invest money here they might also gain power over the community and probably about stuff that will be uploaded here. Sure that's a worst case scenario, but what if a group invests here that also holds capital in facebook ? They might not like content that criticizes their other investment. Or if investors feel offended by certain types of content around here by certain users who make this site so special in my view. They couldn't exist on any other art hosting site I know since every site involved with high finance wants to be "clean" and nice and "family friendly" mass compliant etc. etc. for the sake of higher profits.

I don't like the thought of another community getting tangled up in the dependecies of the finance market.

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:58 AM Reply

Don't take the money, let NG stay the way it is. It's better to let it be what it originally was rather than have it risk being sold out to another company.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Grub-Xer0
Grub-Xer0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Programmer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 07:34 AM Reply

Money isn't everything...

BBS UOTD 2/4/11 | Con los terroristas | Join my Minecraft server at ngmc.teh-non.com!

BBS Signature
Grub-Xer0
Grub-Xer0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Programmer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 07:42 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 07:34 AM, Grub-Xer0 wrote: Money isn't everything...

Forgot to put don't do it.

BBS UOTD 2/4/11 | Con los terroristas | Join my Minecraft server at ngmc.teh-non.com!

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 08:29 AM Reply

now i have been browsing this thread for some time.

the conclusion i have come too is this.

Most (not all) of the people who want "the money" have written two lines... are not at an age to make realistic decisions.

where as the other side of the views come from members who have put a lot of thought into replying, a fair few writing lengthy posts about the pro's and cons and a considerably large amount of nostalgia.

this site has always boosted it was not a faceless organisation and was about submitting the works of talented artists/animations are song composers in portals for the world to view.

Personally as a regular user of newgrounds, i would dislike to see it become faceless and ALL about the money... i understand its something you have spent most of your life working and living off... and i do feel its not ALL about the money at the moment...

Keep the arrow drawn... or fire it off with a chance to hit or miss... Your call.

BBS Signature
NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 09:24 AM Reply

It's a hard question because NG has stayed alive for so long (which is rare for sites as you know).
Usually sites like this die because of no change -> boredom. (Which is not the case here as stated above)

VC would definetly bring fresh air (good or bad). But is it necessary?

Take the money, do something "amazing".
If it fails, we, the communit won't disappear from the face of the earth, we'll just build anew.
Worthy risk if I have to say.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 09:24 AM, NikeTheSword wrote: Take the money, do something "amazing".
If it fails, we, the communit won't disappear from the face of the earth, we'll just build anew.

Building a new community will be harder than imagined..and would it really be worthwhile for the money?

BBS Signature
NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:05 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 10:00 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 4/16/12 09:24 AM, NikeTheSword wrote: Take the money, do something "amazing".
Building a new community will be harder than imagined..and would it really be worthwhile for the money?

Not the money, but what it accomplishes.
Would it be worthwhile? If there's a dream of something grand involved I always vouch for taking the leap.

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 11:24 AM Reply

At 4/16/12 10:05 AM, NikeTheSword wrote: Not the money, but what it accomplishes.
Would it be worthwhile? If there's a dream of something grand involved I always vouch for taking the leap.

But it's a question of the risk versus the outcome, I mean, NG already sponsors good games, so why bother sponsoring everything? Not much is going to change imo.

BBS Signature
dylan-double-c
dylan-double-c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 12:54 PM Reply

Perhaps find a happy medium?
Form a way for investors to contribute directly to the developers, such as a "sponsorship" system, marrying the project and the API systems.
This would allow Newgrounds to maintain its investing independence, while also giving the developers a bit more of a chance to form a living from their art.

SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 02:37 PM Reply

Money.But be careful not to fuck up this site.I like.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 04:03 PM Reply

I don't know Tom something about this ain't right.... I mean What if we start turning into greedy fucktards like Youtube?

I have a penis

BBS Signature
swaenK
swaenK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 05:08 PM Reply

I think money is always a good thing if it goes into your pocket and not into reinvestments that are made to sell out. Like, make money, don't sell out. The point is to prosper not to become the fattest kid in the playground who steals everyone's candy.

Like, what i'm saaayin' is, if you lose your identity then it's a fail. If you let big wigs inside your gates then they will pee on it like it's their show then you're just one of them. You don't want greedy goofs making a profit off of other artist's money. All they want is money, that is the sole thing they care about. You really have to decide who you want to make money with otherwise you're shitting on everyone who has contributed thus far.

Where do your loyalties lie and where is your heart??? If a company expands and gets bigger, hires people, gets more staff, it needs more revenue to operate, w/e.

Promotions are always a big part of a company... Hence the promotions department, usually led by three people, that generate interest and kick things back to the little people with giveaways and specials. Subscriptions to things like the playboy cyber club could also generate revenue with a capacity to place ads. Put ads people don't want and then you lose your core subscribers. How are you going to make money without utilizing naked women? That's a good question.

You can only make more money if you do more work, soooo, you do that.

hurp

BBS Signature
Carr77
Carr77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 05:23 PM Reply

Money FTW! Go NG!

Check out my flash animations, and games. I've also made some bad music, and art ;)

sTiker01
sTiker01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM Reply

I don't really want to risk losing this site to some company so they can change everything in the worse; I feel like it would turn it into something no one likes. Don't take the money!

MOSFET
MOSFET
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 06:01 PM Reply

I want this site to be awesome and survive for a long time. Which option will give me that?

Also, how would more money help you make more money? I've read that sometimes growing a business too fast can wreck it. I mean, getting VC is like strapping on a warp drive. If you feel the NG can't grow much further to where you want it to be without some extra capitol, then I'd say take it. But if you're still plodding along, and you're happy with what you've got then don't take it.

Also taking VC so you can pay talented artists and programmers just so you can give them some love is probably a bad idea. Although, I can see NG help fund more ambitious projects with VC and the returns could be huge.

Personally, I'm thinking no, if you take VC, NG would probably be a shadow of it's former self.

Sevkat
Sevkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:45 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 03:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: 1) Keep being NG no matter what the cost.

Tom, keep changing Newgrounds and it will bite you in the ass.

[SevkittyBBS, join LOSER] - [I am not a crook] - [Add me on Steam: svkkt]

BBS Signature
Mr-Shark
Mr-Shark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:51 PM Reply

Go for the money, and invest it into sponsoring developers here at NG into making BIGGER more developed projects.. The wheels of newgrounds have barely left the ground.

IMO

BBS Signature
BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 16th, 2012 @ 10:57 PM Reply

trying to keep newgrounds stay newgrounds and going venture capital at the sounds too risky and hard. I'd suggest that you don't go venture capital

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.