"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave"-Constantin Brancusi

Aksumka
Aksumka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:51 PM Reply

I fear what might happen if NG were to get too big on me. Would the crappy NGAstill be cool I'd wonder?

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||
NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature
Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:51 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:47 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: so is tom hurt for cash as a whole or just doesn't have the cash to expand?

You've asked this question before, but we're not sure.

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

ForbidMetal
ForbidMetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:52 PM Reply

THOMAS! THOMAS! You listen and you listen good.

I went to America and visited you at the NG office 2 years ago. It was fucking badass and I loved every second of it. If you take the VC and become a big ass company will people like me be able to go and meet the very people who provide such a fantastic site full of awesome?

Dude your site has more to give than money, it gives people of a like-mind a place to go, where you can watch quality, original and inspired works. You are one of us, but at the head of something we all contribute to. Take the VC and you could become great, perhaps. But you could also become incredibly depressed down the line when you realise that you lost something that was your life, but hey, at least you can cry in your Ferrari right?

Love,

ForbidMetal

Don't do it Tom, don't do it.

retrauk
retrauk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:53 PM Reply

This seems like selling out to me... But it might actually make Newgrounds a little better. Go for it, money's always nice.

flashbound
flashbound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

âTMª âTM« It's not about the money, money, money
We don't need your money, money, money
We just wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the price tag
Ain't about the (uh) Cha-Ching Cha-Ching
Ain't about the (yeah) Ba-Bling Ba-Bling
Wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the price tag. âTMª âTM«

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave"-Constantin Brancusi

nobody404
nobody404
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 08:57 PM Reply

Tom, I can't help but feel that you've already made your decision.

You know what's at risk, and you have much more business sense than the vast majority of people who are responding here. It all comes down to looking at what you personally want from all of this, and doing your best to achieve that. Hasn't it always come down to that?

Cheers,

N04

Chroust
Chroust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:00 PM Reply

No money no funny. But money makes easy-peasy things complicated. Im for fusion of these opinions. I tend to 2. Take the money and be free for the good fight, Tom.

drankmade
drankmade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:02 PM Reply

I think NG shouldnt go with VC.. I would hate to see what you and the community have built become watered down and possibly destroyed.. I can imagine the sprites being gone and then other things disappearing, VC could lead to this community to become.. I wish Tom Fulp and the rest of the NG staff much success, I visit them every Comic Con and buy shirts each year.. But it would be a sad sad day when this place becomes corporate..

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:06 PM Reply

Shit, if NG were to get into VENTURE CAPITAL MONEY I'd probably drop a few bills on it because why the fuck not?

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

I take one half day off from Newgrounds cuz i see black spots the size of bowling balls, and I log in to see that Tom wants to sell out ??!?!?!?!

Actually I have no clue how venture capital works, but I am pretty sure if things don't work out they can take this site from you, and reskin it to look like facebook.

I may not be the best person to ask about this. I have recently turned down a 80k a year job while at the same time struggling to avoid homelessness. I am literally "idealizing" my self into poverty. But perfection is a struggle. Its easy to be rich (I have always thought so), but greatness... that takes something special, and you, your staff and your users are special, and to me NEWGROUNDS is GREATNESS!!!!!!!!!!

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
Snake-Arsenic
Snake-Arsenic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:10 PM Reply

The way you put it makes taking the money sound good. I would prefer it if you have an "out" that didn't cost too much or don't have to give control of the site to someone else.

Eltro2kneo
Eltro2kneo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:11 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:53 PM, retrauk wrote: This seems like selling out to me... But it might actually make Newgrounds a little better. Go for it, money's always nice.

This isn't about money, keep that in mind. It's about content.

Words do not kill people, people kill words.
You have no enemies, you are your enemy.
Eltro Mato

n64kid
n64kid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:12 PM Reply

Honestly, I like the independence and integrity of the site so I am personally against the Venture Capital option.

However, if you're going to make a business decision based on a vote of nuts like us, maybe you're better off taking the money :D

Seriously, Tom, have you considered none of the above and going public? You'd be surprised how shareholders can be easier to deal with than a few nuts raising money via the private equity route.

Tolerance comes with tolerance of the intolerant. True tolerance doesn't exist.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:12 PM Reply

Do not take the venture capital. Please. NewGrounds is the type of site that looks good in a suit!

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 09:12 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Do not take the venture capital. Please. NewGrounds is the type of site that looks good in a suit!

Does NOT look good in a suit, is what I meant.

I was thinking of me. I DO look good in a suit.

Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 04:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/13/12 04:00 PM, NitWitt wrote: Yes, good.
THAT ISN'T AN ANSWER.

So far:

Take Money: 2
Keep Going Solo: 0

you should take the money tom. it is time for newgrounds to be relevant like it used to be. i trust you will put your head in the books and really work to make this happen.

BBS Signature
BoredLooney
BoredLooney
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:22 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 03:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: Anyway there are two paths for NG, let me know which we should try because both have their ups and downs.

1) Keep being NG no matter what the cost. Yeah you are a big disappointment but we believe in you.

2) Take VC money. Spend the next five years being AMAZING, sponsor every game developer and every artist and rule the entire internet. IT MIGHT WORK, NG might become so successful the investors will get rich and back off, and it will be such a success it can just keep being a success forever.

Thoughts

hmm.... I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!!!

NOT!!! I suggest you go with choice one #1, going VC sounds very risky and not worth it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:43 PM Reply

I'd like to say that I've used NG since some point in the 90's. It's long been among the coolest sites on the net. If NG takes VC money I think that'd all change. Don't get me wrong, I think the staff here is cool as hell and would try to stay true to their vision. I just think investors would end up messing everything up.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

Whatever is clever bro and makes you, and the site richer !

Just hope you have a good team of CFO's to handle the financial end

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
JimmyTheCaterpillar
JimmyTheCaterpillar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Writer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:50 PM Reply

As much as I'd LOVE to see NG get more revenue and everything, I just don't want to see Newgrounds become a monster. Like politics, everything was ruined the second money stepped in. My opinion is 'DON'T DO IT YOU GUYS!!!', but do what you need to do, Tom. Either way I will respect your decision. Good luck.

(I chose Option #1 if you did not understand me.)

SIG BY AMARANTHUS.| I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299 AND UNCLECUBONE
| I'm in a band 'n stuff.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.
I ENJOY CRANBERRY SAUCE. A LOT.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

where do i deposit my money

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:42 PM, JaShinYa wrote: You can do a lot of cool things with VC and this site could go to amazing places. HOWEVER... once this turns corporate, so many bad things could happen. You could lose this site (something you put your heart and soul into since 1999), WE could lose this site (Many of us have done the same since 1999), once executives get their dirty little hands into our pie, they start taking away too much artistic expression by labeling it "too offensive" or we start becoming like Youtube where everything posted is scrutinized for fear of copyright (something which I recall this site just recently stood against). Since being a part of this site I've always proudly displayed Newgrounds as a place for creative people to be supported and get a start. VC could turn this into who is popular and will make us money- Everyone else can suck a dick.

He brings up some good points. Look at it this way, Tom.

I understand the need to move forward. If you're not growing, you're dying, so take the money in order to keep Newgrounds alive and well. However, when accepting this money, be VERY, VERY CAREFUL about just what you're agreeing to. So many sites have fallen into conformity and anonymity because they wanted to "make it big". A good way to make it big isn't to copy-cat other big sites, but to say "Fuck you" and do it YOUR WAY. That's what you did, right? And that's what got you this far, right? So don't be so quick to fling that plan out the window. A taste of corporatism isn't bad, but the independence of this site from all else is what appeals so much to its users.

My advice would be to dip into VC's funds, but don't just let them throw disposable cash at you. If Newgrounds becomes a hot button for a month or two, and then dies, all will have failed. The key to sustainable life is innovation and then renovation. If you shut your mouth and do what you're told, the site will have no identity, and will fail. The user base will fall and having been dealt such a crippling blow, Newgrounds will die.

But enough of my depressing, prophetic, emo bullshit. What if you don't fail? What if you manage to reduce the amount of control the investors have on the site? What if you retain the freedom of user's expression? What if you can stop the corporate takeover? What if you can use the economical machine to your advantage? What if you succeed, and Newgrounds grows to such greatness that your teenage self could never have possibly dreamed of obtaining? Tom Fulp, I applaud you for such an outstanding job at keeping your site independent for over a decade, and becoming a very credible and reputable website for young and upcoming flash and audio artists. You have done a magnificent thing here, such a wonderful website that teenagers looking for refuge can turn to when they need relief from their lives.

Retain our love for this website Tom. Newgrounds is so beautiful, yet so fragile. Please take care of it.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
toxisfuckingdumb
toxisfuckingdumb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 10:55 PM Reply

this is what happens when you take business advice from teenagers

nearly everyone who said WHOOO MONEY does not understand capitalism apparently

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 10:59 PM Reply

Taking the money will mean the investors want a return on their money. if for some reason NG can't do it, it'll be forced to sell to another company, or shut down completely.

I would say to not take the money, those who say they would rather see ng go out with a bang rather than a wimper will be disappointed when they take the money, the site gets sold, its turned into molten shit and the site ends up being flushed down a corporate toilet. then what? where is everyone gonna go to get the level of awesome this site offers?

this site is rather unique and I remember accidentally stumbling upon this site, seeing "assassinate Jar Jar Binks" and being hooked on it ever since.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Knower998
Knower998
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

Hell Yeah! Venture Capital is a GREAT IDEA!.......... unless you cant manage to turn a dime on the investments, in which case you'll probably be rocking in a dark little corner with a glock contemplating you're 18 million dollar debt to the mobbed up Newgrounders currently attempting to break down youre door......... but yeah! No Worries!

Knower998
Knower998
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 4/13/12 08:47 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: so is tom hurt for cash as a whole or just doesn't have the cash to expand?

lets just say you can only make so much profit off advertising and a swag shop.......
Unless you count the residuals Behemoth is pulling from Alien Hominid and CC, but I would have no fucking clue how much they're making off that.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 13th, 2012 @ 11:50 PM Reply

Take the money and VC. But please hopefully make it worth your while, the investors while, and our while. I do think that with a larger budget NG could do amazing things, and I hope that nothing backfires from this.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to MONEY Apr. 14th, 2012 @ 12:00 AM Reply

I'm definitely against taking the VC. Keep NG how it is. Keep it so that you can still manipulate it to what YOU like Tom. The reason i say this is because you've been doing this for a good number of years and have developed enough to know what WE like. If investors demand a large change, which we may not like, and you are nearly forced to do it, what will we, the users do?

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
ih8dude
ih8dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to MONEY Apr. 14th, 2012 @ 12:01 AM Reply

If you look at what happened to Jagex and runescape they had an extremely successful game and thriving community but once Insight Venture Partners took interest the Gower brothers who founded Jagex were squeezed out and the only thing left was a broken game and a community that spends more time complaining on the forum about how shitty everything is than playing the broken game. I like the idea of branching out but let's be honest NG is one of those ideas that you have to put in rather take out to go anywhere with.