Pennaz
Pennaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-13 11:04:14 Reply

I started working with Flash almost 6 months ago, without any kind of problem,
In fact I succefully uploaded my first animation here on NG.

But recently my program started acting crazy, and I cannot find a solution whatsoever.

I'm working on my second cartoon, it's a frame-by-frame animation which has reach almost 1400 frames, but now I cannot continue it.
The program crash, a lot, almost all the time.
I don't know why, it never did that before.
It crash when:

-I open the animation and then another project (almost always)
-When I try to insert things in the library (not always)
-When I try to pubblish it (always)
-When I try to copy/paste or move a big number of frames (not always)

I tryed to install Flash on another computer, but it crash the same way.
By thinking that my animation was getting too big (which I still consider a really absurd theory) I started to separate my project into 6 small parts (almost 200 frames each).
Now the amount of crashes got really reduced, but it does it at times...
...and I'm worried that, when I'll finish the animation, it won't work anyway.

So here's the question:
-Where is the problem?
-Can I solve it?
-Is my work dead forever?

I'm running my copy of Flash CS3 on a Window 7 (64 bit).

To show what's happening I recorded a little video. My voice is crap, I'm really sorry, but it may help you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o52AjPerBJk&feature=youtu.be

Anyways, thank you for reading, and thank you twice if you'll have the time to give me an hint.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-13 11:44:30 Reply

hmm... normally I'd say it was a really large or corrupt symbol, or tweens on fbf, but it doesn't look like any of those fit this case. If you want to upload your file to your dump and pm the link to me, I can take a look at it.

For now, I strongly suggest you make a duplicate/back-up of it. The fact that you can open it and pull stuff out is a good sign, so don't risk messing around with your only copy!

Sacros
Sacros
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-13 22:42:55 Reply

when you FBF everything the .fla tends to get really huge, im not sure if it being big is related to flash having a harder time handling the file while working but ive heard plenty of cases like yours and the people animating reach the conclusion the file is just too big - you can try if this is the case by opening a new blank document, if it runs fine then thats most likely it

im guessing if you can have someone with a stronger computer open the fla and smooth curves on every drawing - its not called optimization for naught, i could explain why that would easy the load on your file so you could work on it again but it would be too long

then you can finish the animation up to where you were left in your own computer, export the swf and start working on a new document (you can import the library), once you have both swf you can merge them with a separate program and voila, nobody would notice ever

disclaimer: i dont guarantee anything ive said will work, but if you dont have any aquantaince with a powerful pc i could try in mine and maybe give you a hand with the rest, sorry for the textwall

ama gon chill

SlaughterDog
SlaughterDog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-14 03:32:21 Reply

I think it has to do with your computer running out of memory. You could get more memory and see if it happens.
I've also had Flash do this to me, and it seemed like after I got more memory, my projects could grow larger. Another thing is version. I started a project in Flash 8 and eventually it got long enough to crash it. Finishing it up in CS5.5 is working great so far (except I hate the UI of CS5.5).

If it happened to me again, I'd break the animation into manageable chunks and then try to put them all together on a computer that had more memory. Failing that, the only thing I can think of is exporting them all individually and try to use code to dynamically load the next piece. Not sure if it could be posted here without a special setup. Last ditch effort I guess, render them as video, piece videos together, and it will live on Youtube.

Pennaz
Pennaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-14 11:14:00 Reply

First of all, thank you for your replies.

As most of you said, the problem might be related to my hardware capabilities...
Here's some things I tryed yesterday:

-I tryed to install flash CS3 on another Window 7 (which is 32 bit) and open my cartoon there:
it did the exact SAME thing as on my main computer, which is a Window 7 (64 bit).
-I splitted my work into 5 new project files, near 400 frames each: now it crash less, but it still does.
-I tryed to convert all my work into graphic symbols and ONLY THEN put them into a new project. This new project stand alone pretty well, but I'm at half of my work... Will it last after I double the amount of frames and put even sounds?
...It crash already sometimes...

It's seems like the program is getting VERY SEVERE with my new animation and ALL the files which have its frames in it...
Like it's working with huge files (or maybe corrupted one...)

I made another video to show you more things it does... my voice still sucks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1BpTbBTzjE&feature=youtu.be

As a last question, Sacros, or anyone else, can you tell me the name of a program which allows you to merge two or more .swf files togheter and make them as one file workable on NG? That would be great!

Thank you again for your time and you hints, I'll tip the ones I didn't mention on this messafe for later...
You're REALLY helping me guys... I'm no kidding.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-14 13:54:31 Reply

Hmmmm!! I opened it, tested movie... and it worked just fine.

I'm on a Mac, OS X v10.6.8, running Flash CS4 with only 4 gigs of ram. You could try downloading the CS4 trial and see if that makes a difference... otherwise, like was mentioned, I think it's a memory thing.

awesome animation, btw!!
Pennaz
Pennaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-16 11:06:02 Reply

Some news:

I tryed the trial of Adobe Flash CS5.5 on my main computer (64 bit); it still can't open my animation and crash.
I tryed that trial on another computer (32 bit) and it does the same thing.
With this "upgrade" it act just like the first one: it opens the other files and opens the smallest files.

At 4/14/12 01:54 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Hmmmm!! I opened it, tested movie... and it worked just fine.

I'm on a Mac, OS X v10.6.8, running Flash CS4 with only 4 gigs of ram. You could try downloading the CS4 trial and see if that makes a difference... otherwise, like was mentioned, I think it's a memory thing.

awesome animation, btw!!

Thank you very much for trying it out... I'm sorry for asking you this, but... if you have a little free time could you try to open the file I sent you AND THEN another .flv in the same session? (I mean: you're keeping opened two project at the same time, and you can switch between them almost immediatly)
As I said, sometimes Flash manages to open my project, if it's all alone...

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-16 13:12:19 Reply

At 4/16/12 11:06 AM, Pennaz wrote: keeping opened two project at the same time...

I tried duplicating your file and opening both, one after the other, and got a 'low memory' error. So... as said, it's a memory thing. You could try deleting some of the stuff you don't need on the rough/bozze layers to make the file manageable as you go back and optimize... and changing the smoothing on your brush should help as you move forward.

In the gif below, the green dots are points. Each point takes up space/memory. This is ONE line, ...so imagine adding in all the other lines and multiplying that times 1100 frames and 6+ layers! That's a lot of points!!!

lots of green = original line art
less green = optimized line art

A big, big problem with Flash.

Pennaz
Pennaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-17 16:50:22 Reply

It seems like optimizing the frames worked! My project went from 180 MB to only 20 MB! It's great, it's so small now!

Thank you, thank you so much! I can finally finish it!
Thank you once more!

BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-04-17 18:52:25 Reply

At 4/17/12 04:50 PM, Pennaz wrote: It seems like optimizing the frames worked! My project went from 180 MB to only 20 MB! It's great, it's so small now!

Thank you, thank you so much! I can finally finish it!
Thank you once more!

That's great news!

My computer has low memory, so I'm trying my best to optimize all of my lines from the get-go in the animation I'm currently working on.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
Pennaz
Pennaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to A big, big problem with Flash. 2012-05-29 03:05:52 Reply

I'm really, really sorry for bumping up this topic once more... ...but it seems like my problems aren't over yet...

After optimizing my animation to save space, I pot tons of new frames into my work, I went from 1100 frames to almost 3000!

Now, once more, the program started crashing (expetially when I try to save my edited work).
I've stopped immediatly working on it, so I can still open the file without getting crashes.
I optimized my frames even more (now all looks horribly sketchy), but it still crash when I try to save.

Now, with all the experience gained since the first time I had this problem I think I managed to make some conclusions (still, I may be wrong):

-It shouldn't be my computer (I've got a really powerful computer, I've tryed to open my toon on other computers and it still crash).
-It shouldn't be my program (I have Flash CS3, I've tryed also Flash CS5.5, even on different computers and it still crash).
-It shouldn't be a corrupted file (there is no tweening in my cartoon, and all the frames are totally editable without a problem).

May it be that my file is still too big? I honestly confused about this, I saw some amazing Frame-By-Frame animations here on NG (some of them are VERY long)... ...how did these artists manage to make their work without crashes?

To do some math:
The first time I asked help I had 1100 frames, every frame had over 15000 curves.
Now I have 2900 frames, but each one don't get over 800 curves (the difference is enormous).

My questions are:
-Is there any trick I can do to optimize even more?
-May it be really a problem of my program, my computer or something else?

Any help will be extremely apprecited... This problem is driving me crazy...